[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>+40 Defense on a Pokemon with a typing that clearly isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: houndoom-mega.jpg (24 KB, 211x320) Image search: [Google]
houndoom-mega.jpg
24 KB, 211x320
>+40 Defense on a Pokemon with a typing that clearly isn't meant for tanking shots
>Gets an ability that's situational and shaves down it's "bulk" over time anyway
>Generally outclassed by Mega Manectric in Singles and Charizard Y in Doubles.

They really dropped the ball with Mega Houndoom
>>
>>24732324
Solar Power really didn't even make sense (when are hellhounds seeing the sun?), and they could've given it something useful like Intimidate or Sheer Force
>>
>>24732343
Given the weather nerf, Solar Power should've been buffed to get rid of the whole "1/8th of your health per turn" thing
>>
>>24732324
at least looks badass lml
>>
>>24732324
but the bulk boost actually helped me a few times, only thing that needs to be changed is the ability that doesn't even make sense since it's suppose to be a creature of the underworld
>>
>>24732324
the bulk is actually legit and allows to take extra hits, also how the fuck would you explain a bones armor not rising your defense?
>>
>>24732343
>Sheer Force
>Heat Wave
>Dark Pulse
>Sludge Bomb

Houndoom's movepool isn't great, but it had what it needs. Sheer Force could make MHoundoom really threatening.
>>
>>24732324

I also hate how Charizard X has high special attack while Y has high attack. All those points should be added to their dominant stat, something like 160 atk for X and 190 species attack for Y.
>>
>>24732324
>nocturnal Pokemon
>Mega is designed around sunlight
>isn't very good
Well, gee. I wonder why.
>>
>>24732428
the attack boost would be nice but i like my Dark Pulses to still have a chance of flinching
>>
Here's a thought guys.
It gets solar power because hellhounds get hurt in the sun.
>>
>>24732502
>something like 160 atk for X and 190 species attack for Y.

you are absolutely fucking retarded

the whole point is to NOT minmax the pokemon to absolute hell. that's why they dump part of the 100 BST arbitrarily, unless it's something extremely weak like beedrill.
>>
File: 1413169744043.png (92 KB, 588x589) Image search: [Google]
1413169744043.png
92 KB, 588x589
>no guard for 100% infernos and heat waves
>>
>>24733113
>No Guard Inferno for a hellhound
Perfect fit for the edge
>>
>>24732993
why does it get a boost then? dry skin fits better for what you're saying
>>
>>24732324
>+40 defense
>But lets give Intimidate to the giant fuck up that is Mega Manetric :^)

Yeah because a pokemon associated with the night/darkness really needed an ability about getting stronger in bright sunlight.
>>
>>24733839
>Fire Type that can absorb water

Only makes sense for Volcanion, which has Water Absorb
>>
>let's take away garchomp speed for no reason
>why you guys complain gamefreak did the correct thing otherwise it would be too powerful
>gamefreak releases mega salamence next
>>
My friend and I would go into super multi battle at the Battle Maison with mega charizard y and mega houndoom. It works pretty well until you get fucked by speedy rock type or bulky rock types that can tank more than one solar beam
>>
>>24734149
>war flashbacks of aerodactyl and choice scarf archeops
>>
>>24734149
After a few battles this will happen >>24734157
Don't do it.
>>
>>24732522
That's nice but you don't win games by flinching your opponent indefinitely, you win them by reducing your opponent's HP to zero
>>
File: 1445577279074.png (188 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1445577279074.png
188 KB, 500x380
>>24734149

>not going char y + mega sceptile

- outspeeds everything
- murders rock, water, ground and dragon
- lightning rod fucks electrics
- free solar beams, OHKO aero/archeops
- char y kills ice and bug, and most other things
>>
>>24734209
Good point, we should try that
>>
>>24734157

there is no choice scarf archeops in maison. there is a choice scarf aero with only rock slide, and you stop encountering it after battle 40.
>>
>>24732324
>outclassed
>>
What Bulky Rock-types can tank two solar beams from Mega Charizard and Mega Houndoom and then retaliate against one or both? The only bulky Rocky-types are Rhyperior and Tyranitar and the only speedy Rock-types are M-Diancie and Aerodactyl, and of those 4 only Tyranitar and Aerodactyl should beat you.

You phrased your statement as if there were more pokemon who did that

>>24734209
Does Mega Sceptile have more or comparable raw power to Solar Power Mega Houndoom? The type synergy is superior since it leaves M-Char only weak to Rock-type attacks but do you have numbers to back this up?
>>
>>24734108
neither of them makes sense really
>>
>>24734239
Gigalith can. It's SpD is pretty decent for slow Rock pokemon
>>
File: mad shark.png (274 KB, 402x532) Image search: [Google]
mad shark.png
274 KB, 402x532
>>24734118

>mega salamence is superior to mega pinsir in every way

I will never not be mad, what's the fucking point.
>>
>>24734239

it's irrelevant because it still OHKOs all its important targets. no, it technically doesn't have as much raw power, but it doesn't need it.

the only charizard threats it won't KO are sturdy gigalith, and tyranitar4 (focus sash). probopass is also a problem, but you can actually run EQ coverage on sceptile, even timid, especially since char is flying type. but you need to coordinate protects in doubles maison anyway, and occasionally switch defensively. char y + sceptile cover a lot more bases and you won't have to switch nearly as often.
>>
>>24734276

i should mention that lightning rod is a fucking huge boon, since some of char's biggest threats are fast and/or bulky electrics. not only do you not have to waste protect, you actually bait electric moves, since the AI doesn't know any better, and get free boosts for sceptile.

there are a handful of dischargers, but char has massive SpD and can usually survive it, although para is kind of painful.
>>
>>24734239
Sorry I meant tank just 1 solar beam, not more than 1. But yeah Tyranitar and aerodactyl are the biggest two rock types that trump this strategy, the more threatening being aerodactyl. Aggron can be a pain as well if you're not running overheat
>>
>>24734254
But volcanion's whole theme is steam. Steam needs water.
>>
File: cool bloo.jpg (6 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
cool bloo.jpg
6 KB, 239x239
>>24734295
>theme is steam
sick rhyme bruh
>>
>>24734287
I would argue that Heatran, Latias and Latios are bigger threats than Zapdos, Rotom or Mega-Fabio

Rotom-W loses cleanly to Mega Char and Rotom-H doesn't do as much to Char as Char does to it
>>
>>24734330

we're talking about maison. in VGC you use char y or megamom + genies like every other shmuck on battle spot.
>>
File: 1429759234290.gif (736 KB, 451x322) Image search: [Google]
1429759234290.gif
736 KB, 451x322
>>24732428
now im mad it didnt get this

that fucking feel when your bro gets a shit mega
>>
>>24734374
My bro is Heracross. He got an Ok Mega. It's a side-grade. I still use it. But it just fall short. If MHoundoom is your bro, hang on there.
>>
>>24734381

mega hera is B+ in ou while regular is only C. its wallbreaking is no joke.
>>
>>24734269
Mega Pinsir has priority and Swords Dance. MegaMence is still better, bet being worsen something like that monstrosity isn't saying much.
>>
>>24734394
I play mostly doubles. I tailored an EV Spread an all but I know that I'm handicapping myself by using it instead of using CharY, Kangaskhan, Mawile or something like that.
>>
I assume the blazing heat of the sun was the closest thing they could get to represent hellfire.
>>
Mega Houndoom kills me, man.

Design-wise, it's my favorite Pokémon. One hundred percent the coolest one they've ever made, no doubt in my mind. Houndoom is pretty cool, but MEGA Houndoom, holy fuck man I love this fella.

But it hurts so fucking bad that they botched him competitively. Not so much that I needed him to be an OU powerhouse, it's just that Solar Power is so underwhelming in the gen that needs weather, it doesn't click flavor-wise, and to really put the nail in the coffin, the Houndoom line will NEVER receive ANY form of attention from GameFreak EVER again. I'll be surprised if there's even a trainer who uses him, in game or anime.

I still use him, but fucking damn it, why couldn't they give him ANY other ability under the sun? Pun intended
>>
>>24735171
>the gen that needs weather
nerfs*
>>
>We live in a world where 115 speed and 140 sp attack is considered garbage
>>
>>24735217
It is without an item.
>>
>>24735171
>in anime
Malva of the E4. I hope she receives the mega in game.
>>
>>24732324
The boost in bulk is actually pretty helpful with taking priority

Mega Houndoom can survive things like
>Aqua Jet from Azumarill (even surviving a choice band one is a pretty good roll in your favor)
>Unboosted Mach Punch from Breloom
>Sharp Beak Brave Bird from Talonflame (even after rocks)
none of which normal Houndoom can.

The ability is horrible though. Intimidate would have been good flavor and solid competitively at least, and would really help it get Nasty Plots off
>>
>>24735171
I hope Mega Pokémon have their abilities changed next gen. They dropped the ball with Lightningrod on Mega Sceptile.
>>
>>24735171
Solar power really is a fucked up ability to give the hellhound pokemon.
>>
>>24734192
> you don't win games by flinching your opponent indefinitely

I play both Jirachi and Togekiss on my team, friend.
>>
>>24735231
>115 Speed
>No item

I understand Atk/SpAtk, but shit anon, Speed is no joke!
>>
File: doggu.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
doggu.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>24732324
im sure theyll fix some of the abilities in Gen 7
>Audino
>Steelix
>Chomp
>Aero or atleast give him moves
>Houndoom

adpatabilty,Sheer force,Drought or a version of flash fire that raises its Spec attack
>>
>>24735663
mega garchomp doesn't deserve a fix
>>
>>24734269
oh hey, i was in that thread.
>>
>>24735682
it needs swift swim
>>
>>24735663
saved

>>24735842
>entire concept is a land shark
>swift swim
>>
>>24734398

But why would you come out with something that has the same ability and appeal but totally outclasses the other. That's like if they took dragonite gave it a mega that made it fire dragon and gave it tough claws. Or if you gave genesect a mega with adaptability with max speed and attack.

It takes the concept of a mega that's supposed to make pokemon stand out more and shits all over it. Megas should be unique.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.