[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know of any good fanmade pokemon games running on their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: reborn.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
reborn.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
Anyone know of any good fanmade pokemon games running on their own engine? Played pic related and loved it.
>>
>>24701259
This is 2edgy4u: The Game!
>>
>>24701271

You autistic fucks will complain about anything. Sure it's got some lememes, but at least it's not catered to 12 year olds (nintendo) or made BY 12 year olds (most romhacks out there filled with shitty grammar and level 80 pokémon by the 2nd gym)
>>
Any suggestions? Or are there no good ones at all
>>
is reborn shit? i've been hearing it's some overly edgy juvenile shit like the rest of the fangames, but hearing it's running on it's own engine i might give it a shot
unless that just means it's not a romhack and it's running on rpgmaker pokemon essentials, which then means it's cancer. these games feel extremely rough, i can't stand them
>>
>>24701259
tumblr: the game
>>
>>24701392

It's nothing like the rest of the fangames. It's got actualy grammar and at least a shot at a plot, and the gameplay is genuinely challenging.

It's got some edgy bits, true. But it still beats nintendo's pokemon games by a long shot.
>>
>>24701392
>edgy
If you're the kind of person to throw a fit over this, don't play it. It also has bissexual characters.
>>
>>24701421
looked up, it is essentials based. no bueno.
>>24701449
i really couldn't give less fuck about edginess as long as it's written by someone competent. notice the word "juvenile" right after "edgy", which you highlighted.
>>
>>24701483

Don't get why you feel it's rough though. The game runs really smoothly, only thing shitty are the move animations.

The writer, although a suicidal transgender, IS competent and sensible. And the game is tough, period.

Dunno how anyone playing pokémon games can complain about juvenility though.
>>
Problem with the plot is that Ame can't seem to write a plot that's both dark and mature, just dark and filled to the brim with edgy characters who try to be cool or are purposely to written to be hated by every fiber of the player's being. It moreso comes off as tryhard than edgy because of the immense amount of times Ame tries to get a "Wow!" out of the player, and at least on my end, she suceeds. Because, "Wow! I'm really wasting my fucking time with this game."

And that's not even covering the inconsistent and often times unfair gameplay.
>>
>>24701634
>she
>>
>>24701505
pokemon games are written in a way to be as neutral as possible. this is especially evident in the gen 1 games, where everything story-related is extremely barebones and more or less acts as a template, which player's imagination is supposed to fill.
more complex themes such as dealing with death or the dogfighting aspect of pokemon battles are rarely, if at all, touched upon, and when they are, only the surface is scratched. everything is still played safe and most importantly - it's all very subtle. gamefreak knows they are doing this stuff for children, so they just avoid subjects that could cause heavier controversy and make kids feel overly uneasy.

subtlety is something teenage writers tend to lack, which is one of the reasons why i'm wary towards fangames. these people tend to put stuff in their stories for little to no reason, which can sometimes lead to ridiculous contrast between setting and events that happen in them - it just doesn't fit together. that's what i described as "edgy juvenile shit".

if pokemon reborn does not have this issue, then good.
i am not convinced towards trying it because of what i said though - essentials. i am aware that making an rpg of this scale (721 pokemon, many moves, etc) is a tremendous undertaking - i have some experience with programming and fan projects - so of course essentials is a great starting point for those who want to give making a fangame a shot.
however, there are some reasons why i tend to avoid essentials games. you've already mentioned the animations, but this is a broader subject than just move animations. things like menu fade-ins/fade-outs or the way trainers send out their pokemon are not tweaked well and don't feel quite right. aside from the kinks of the engine, these games too often base upon gen3/4 artstyle without trying to do their own thing, also tend to have design issues (maps, etc.)

ending this wall of text here, because the comment is getting too long. i hope this cleared it up.
>>
>>24701505
>the game runs smoothly
>when any overworld weather (which happens in nearly every outdoor location for most of the game) drops the FPS to below 30
>>
>>24701392
yeah it's edgy, but it's actually challenging too.
>>
>>24701392
It's edgy, but funny and entertaining while being so, and it's genuinely fun and challenging. No harm giving it a shot.
>>
File: 1444489325771.jpg (8 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1444489325771.jpg
8 KB, 251x251
>>24701259
>Played pic related and loved it.
>>
>>24703434
People can enjoy things while acknowledging their flaws, anon.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.