[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teambuilding: What Cores/Musts do you have?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: fwgcore.png (331 KB, 450x432) Image search: [Google]
fwgcore.png
331 KB, 450x432
Curious as to what goes through peoples mind when creating a team.

Do you guys use Fire-Water-grass core?
Do you use Steel-Dragon-Fairy?

What types do you feel you need to have on a team?

Do you have weird quirks when it comes to team building? An example being no overlapping types.

How do you guys feel about using non-mega form pokemon on a team? An example would be if you have two potential megas like Alakazam or Scizor on the same team.
>>
My main team has a steel/dragon/fairy core + poison
>Jirachi/M-Altaria/Clefable/Crobat
>>
>>24695595
I just browse the Smogon RMT forum and take a team that got a high rating.
>>
I usually start with whatever Pokemon I'm digging on at the moment. Toxicroak is a good example. Then I pair him with a Gliscor to counter ground weakness, a dark type for psychic weakness, etc, just filling spots with counters to typings and Pokemon that counter what i've got already.
>>
It's all about that Fire/Water/Grass+Steel/Dragon/Fairy DualCore Team

Azumarill/M-Sceptile/Heatran all the way to the bank, buddy.
>>
>>24695595
Suicide sudowoodo lead always. It's epic meme tier
>>
As long as you have Clefable, Rotom-W, and Ferrothorn you'll be fine.
>>
>>24695595
A sweeper, 3 stallers, a wall, and Ditto.
>>
i use rotom-h/rotom-m/rotom-w
>>
>>24695692
>Not using Whimsicott / Empoleon / Reshiram
>>
>>24695690
This is an interesting way to approach it. By the time you get to the sixth pokemon do you end up wishing you had a seventh? Or do things usually round out by then.
>>
>>24695921
That's how I do too. I end with hilarious things like Electivire+Samurott on the same team, but in an overall it gets very cool.
>>
>>24695915
>reshiram
Are you a 12 year old?
>>
>>24695933
How does something like that do in OU?
>>
>>24695595
>Steel-Dragon-Fairy
Since when has this been a thing?
>>
>>24695690
That sounds more like building to not lose instead of building to win. Why not have a more proactive strategy?
>>
>>24695996
Since Fairy was introduced.
>>
>>24695996
It's been pretty popular for a little while. I think people know fwg cores a lot better tho.
>>
>>24696006
Well, I'VE never heard of people basing teams on those three types before.
>>
My favorite core is Skarmory+Bisharp+Gengar

Skarmory gets the hazards up, Gengar spinblocks and can Taunt Defoggers, Bisharp makes people think twice before Defogging. I run Pursuit on Bisharp so it can trap common defog/spin users too, life Latias and Starmie.

Another favorite core of mine, although nowhere near as good, is Wobuffet+Gothitelle. People love to use Status moves on Wob, so I encore them into it. Then I switch to Gothitelle, trick a scarf on while they're still encored, and proceed to setup on stuff I really have no right to be setting up on, like defensive Garchomp locked into Toxic (I run rest on Gothitelle, so it doesn't matter), or Rotom locked into Will-o-Wisp.
>>
>>24695595
Two methods:

1. Meta answer team
2. Based around a Pokemon as >>24695690 said.

For 1, it's very calc-heavy and tries to address as many top Pokemon as possible, without running stall, since I consider that cancerous. Not only do you account for different Pokemon, but different playstyles. For example, to deal with hyper offense, you want something that breaks Volt-Turn, like SpDef-leaning Hippo, as well as something that stops Mega Lopunny hard, like Slowbro. To deal with stall, you want something like Hoopa-U or a trapper.

For 2, just build support-wise around whatever you want to use. It's just covering the bases like an outward-directed spiral.
>>
>>24696041
Sorry about the trip, coulda sworn I deleted it.
>>
>>24696041
BACK TO YOUR CONTAINMENT THREAD FAG
>>
>>24695644
How do you fare against Steel-types?
>>
>>24696030
Does the type overlap ever bother you? What about using a non-mega form of a pokemon capable of mega evolving?
>>
>>24696112
Type overlap only bugs me with the Wobuffet+Gothitelle one since Dark and Ghost types ruin my plan. That's why I pack along counters for those types on teams I put that core on.

For Skarmory+Bisharp+Gengar, well, Mega Gengar is banned in OU, but it's my favorite Mega, so I just enjoy it when playing casually. If I could use it on a team with those other 2, by all means I would, but everywhere Mega-Gengar is legal, Bisharp is mostly crap. I usually use a wallbreaker mega that's sure to force switching on teams with this core, anyway, like Pinsir, Gardevoir, Tyranitar (having tons of steel types around that don't get hurt by sand is a bonus), and Charizard-Y.
>>
>>24696180
Mega Pinsir is so badass... I'm trying to ind a way to use him effectively.
>>
>>24696052
:} it'sall good
>>
>>24696289
I've used it with Memento Latios to some success. Have Latios drop a Draco on somebody. This kills it's SpA, making it otherwise useless. Then use memento to cripple whatever you're fighting's attack. Latios dies, send in Pinsir. Opponent is helpless and probably has to switch, giving you a chance to set up a Swords Dance and sweep.
>>
>>24695595
I usually build my teams around 1 or 2 Pokemon who are my core, like some anons posted If I'm using Mega Scizor for example, I always put a Hatran or Chandelure with Flash Fire.

Recently, I've been building a Fighting Mono-type team, just for the fun of it. It takes team building to a whole new level, especially if you plan to play on a non-mono type environment.
>>
>>24695595
My process basically starts by picking something I like, pairing it with a partner or two that works well with it, and testing it. Basically anything online that beats the shit out of me gets taken into consideration for counters. I had a glaring weakness to ferrothorn, charizard Y with solar beam, and contrary serperior among others for example. So I got a sap sipper assault vest goodra running flamethrower, thunderbolt, and muddy water and it's the perfect counter that provides a free switch in. It also plays well with my TR setter. Then I'll test its weaknesses against common pokemon and the process continues. Basically trial and error with educated guesses beforehand.

Thing is though, I don't use pokemon I don't like just to cover bases. It has to be something I like and it cannot be so common that it is predictable.
>>
>>24696475
I can appreciate not using things you don't like. I'd never use a Genie...
>>
>>24696377
Any other pokemon it pairs well with besides legends?
>>
I need at LEAST 3 rock types to have a solid team.
>>
>>24695595
In Gen VI I feel some combination of Water-Steel-Dragon-Fairy is the most powerful core
>>
File: image.jpg (393 KB, 1060x996) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
393 KB, 1060x996
I think of a neat gimmick I want to try out and then see what works with that.
Cherrim's flower gift is weird since it boosts attack in sun and most of what directly benefits from sun is special.
I think I'll round out my team with some physical attackers that resist fire.
Maybe Gyarados so I get to intimidate.
Salamence?
>>
>>24697494
Is that you, Brock?
>>
>>24697467
Look man, this is a terrible outlook. Maybe if you're doing it because you're a breeder it makes sense, but if not, use legendaries. They're allowed because they're not broken. Just the fact that something is a legendary means shit all unless it actually is broken, and many legendaries aren't. Articuno, all the Regis, Phione and Mesprit/Uxie are perfect examples.
>>
>>24697757
Or he might not like resetting for ages to get a good enough Latios.
>playing on cart
Yeah yeah, I know.
>>
File: alex o.jpg (10 KB, 243x245) Image search: [Google]
alex o.jpg
10 KB, 243x245
>>24695595
I always have:
-a Fire-Water-Grass triangle
-a Flyer
-a Ground-type or Earthquake/Earth Power user
-an Electric-type or Thunderbolt/other elec move user
-a Psychic or Ghost-type

Note that some Pokémon can fill several roles.
>>
File: 1447189096107.gif (882 KB, 383x261) Image search: [Google]
1447189096107.gif
882 KB, 383x261
I always pick the water starter, so I never have to worry about water HMs. Getting a flyer is mandatory, the exception being ORAS. From there, I usually pick Pokemon that complement each other defensively and can cover multiple roles, like status or physical attacker. I don't always go GFB core but every team member needs to be somewhat unique. I never overlap types but I may overlap coverage when needed. I don't use HM slaves so each member of my team needs to be able to use at least one HM. I'll give some 2 HMs if one of them has viable use, like Surf. Finally, I never use Legends or events, and rarely use psuedos unless they compliment my team well.
>>
>>24697768
GFW* not GFB
>>
>>24697767
Mio negro.

My in-game team looks always like that, except for the psychic-ghost type that I don't consider being essential. This are my teams through every gen:

>Gen1
Blastoise
Magmar
Victreebel
Pidgeot
Dugtrio
Electabuzz

>Gen2
Feraligatr
Houndoom
Sunflora
Skarmory
Donphan
Ampharos

>Gen3
Swampert
Torkoal
Tropius
Swellow
Flygon
Manectric

>Gen4
Floatzel
Infernape
Abomasnow
Staraptor
Hippowdon
Luxray

>Gen5
Samurott
Darmanitan
Lilligant
Archeops
Excadrill
Galvantula

>Gen6
Greninja
Talonflame
Gogoat
Hawlucha
Diggersby
Heliolisk

Only gen exclusives because of my superior taste.
>>
>>24695595
Scout - Swellow or Jolteon
Heavy - Ursaring/Azumarill
Spy - Zoroark
Pyro - Magmortar/Heatmor
Medic - Audino/Chansey/Blissey/Gardevoir
Demoman - Foretress
Soldier - Clawitzer
Sniper - any mon with tinted lens
I don't know any good mon for the engi role though
>>
File: alex pouce levé.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
alex pouce levé.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>24697842
>Only gen exclusives
I'm the one you responded to, and I can say that you have some good taste, mon nègre.

I always try to do the same, except for a few games.
>>
>>24697842
>>24697934
I do this too, only time I didn't was in Y with Venusaur so I could have a mega on my team
>>
>>24697992
The only times I did this were when the roster available didn't appeal to me, like a Rapidash in Platinum because my Starter was Turtwig, and Pokémon from several regions in W2 and Y (X being my main run with an all-Kalos team).
>>
>>24697467
Yeah, Memento Whimsicott and Dugtrio works okay in a pinch.
>>
>>24696041
Huh, interesting. I'm still kinda new to this so I never really though about approaching it in some of these ways. maybe I can find a good team for sash gengar like this.
>>
>Click M-Eye + Goth

>Decide the rest of the team based on that
>>
>>24695595
Only core that matters is your favorite 6 pokemon working in concert.
>>
As a balance player, I usually decide on whatever three offensive threats I feel like running based on how much I like them, then build around them with some support/offense to cover their weaknesses. Heracross, Crobat, and Chandelure usually find their way onto my team one way or another.
>>
>>24702648
>>24696041
same anon. thought up a quick team using that srat and I think it's the quickest I've ever though up mons for a team.
the core is scizor/heatran/rotom-wash. the rest of the team is mega punny and gengar. after that filling in the slots is muh giga nigga garchomp
>>
>>24702690
fug, forgot to ask how i did.
>>
File: 1432651972641.png (91 KB, 360x183) Image search: [Google]
1432651972641.png
91 KB, 360x183
>>24702690
>the core is generic OU smogmon/generic OU smogmon/generic OU smogmon. the rest of the team is generic OU smogmon anf generic OU smogmon. after that fillign in the slots is muh giga nigga generic OU smogmon

Creative
>>
>tfw haven't routinely played the meta since Gen 5
The last team-building method I tried in competitive was actually by-far the most satisfying thing I've done.
The thing was unironically Karenfagging.

My six favorite fully evolved pokemon were, and still are, Umbreon, Steelix, Swampert, Rapidash, Sawk, and Crobat.

I had Umbreon with a fairly standard Wish set, Steelix had Sheer Force/Life Orb/4 Attacks for the hell of it, Swampert used Curse/ResTalk, Rapidash did Flame Charge/Attacks, Sawk was Scarfed, and Crobat did SuperFang/U-Turn/BravestBird

This was a surprisingly effective UU team, I got up to about the top 300 before I got scared of dropping and stopped.
>>
>>24702807
>WAAAH WHY AREN'T YOU USING SHITTY HIPSTER POKEMON
>>
>>24697757
Yeah, I'm mainly asking because I'm a breeder. I don't use carts... I'm fine w/ people using legendaries though. :}
>>
>>24702807
I mean they get used for a reason anon. Generic though they may be. Gengar/ scizor and garchomp are my bros.
>>
File: 1425594094636.jpg (90 KB, 300x321) Image search: [Google]
1425594094636.jpg
90 KB, 300x321
>>24702818
>WAAAAAH WHY DON'T YOU LIKE MY TEAM I COPY/PASTED OFF OF SMOGON, I PUT SO MUCH EFFORT INTO HOLDING DOWN THE CTRL KEY AND PRESSING C, THEN V. I PLAY A GAME FEATURING OVER 700 UNIQUE MONSTERS TO USE THE SAME FUCKING 20 POKEMON EVERY SHITHEAD USES SO I CAN WIN, BECAUSE WINNING IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
>>
>>24702865
>BECAUSE WINNING IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Yes. It's called competitive for a reason.

Sorry that not everyone has fun the same way you do. ;)
>>
well this thread went from fun to autism real fast.
>>
>>24702690
I'm the guy you originally replied to.
so
>Sash Gengar
>Scizor
>Heatran
>Rotom-W
>Lopunny [Mega]
>Garchomp

Is Scizor your Defogger? Because I see no way otherwise to clear Stealth Rock, which obstruct Gengar's Sash.
>>
File: 1447785002321.png (147 KB, 274x536) Image search: [Google]
1447785002321.png
147 KB, 274x536
>tfw MegaSnow is only usable in trick room teams
>>
>>24703220
either he's a defogger or I'm just going to desash the gengar.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.