[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Losing interest in Pokémon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Is anyone else losing interest in the Pokémon franchise?

I'm 23 years old and I've played every mainline Pokémon game since R/B/Y. I'm not a genwunner, in fact, my favourite Pokémon game overall is Pokémon Y. Kalos is my favourite region and I spent over 1,500 hours playing Pokémon Y. I generally like all Pokémon designs from every generation but I feel like Game Freak needs to shake the up the formula more drastically. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the innovations that Game Freak put in throughout the years but overall it feels like their efforts were underwhelming with ORAS. This is the first time where I'm not hyped or interested in anticipating the next mainline games. I tried taking a two month break from the franchise but when I went back I could barely play for more than 10 minutes. My Alpha Sapphire is collecting dust. I have been breeding/battling competitively since 2013 but it just doesn't feel fun anymore. I no longer get any joy from hatching perfect Pokémon or battling passersby. Both Smogon and VGC feel broken regardless of anything. Any anons also feel the same?

>inb4 muh blog
>inb4 git gud
>>
>>24693643
People been giving up since gen 1. Nobody cares.

Good luck with your life
>>
>>24693643
>turn game on
>try an online battle
>same CHALK shit as always
>turn off
>wonder why I still care
>>
>>24693643
It just doesn't live up to its potential. Bland regions, lack of character development...it's wasted.
>>
>>24693693
So what are you doing here? And most importantly why will you buy the next game on the day of its release
>>
>>24693643
nice blog
now gtfo
>>
File: 1317450638462.jpg (33 KB, 465x565) Image search: [Google]
1317450638462.jpg
33 KB, 465x565
I'll sink with the ship.
At least until it goes mobile or changes console or something
>>
>>24693643
>smug Wonder Loli
>>
>>24693643
It is literally fine to not play Pokemon every waking hour of your life. If you do more than just play each game when it comes out until you're satisfied then it's inevitable that you'll get burnt out. Now fuck off with your blogshit and git gud.
>>
>>24693704
OP here. I bought Y and AS on release day, I admit. I use to browse /vp/ daily since XY hype days but now I barely come here once a month. I'm not going to rant about this board because it has been always shit but if Game Freak's next mainline game doesn't shake up the formula radically it's bye-bye. Pokémon has been a huge part of my life but it looks like it's time to move on.
>>
>>24693779

I've dropped Pokémon several times between generations, and skipped Gen IV entirely. My interest in the games comes and goes, and I think that's normal for most people our age. I seem to come back to the franchise every three years.

I don't know if my love of the franchise will die off entirely at some point, but I doubt it. I've spent so much time and mental energy learning the game and the meta that I don't know if it's possible for me to just get over it.

As for /vp/, I think it's shitty when there's no news. It's good for the occasional showderp kek, but the sense of community and the humor really spikes in anticipation of the next big announcement. I think the shitposting is fun.
>>
I've found myself being able to entertain myself less with Pokemon overall, but I think it's mostly because of how lackluster Gen 6 has been for me compared to Gen 5. The new mystery dungeon game has really rekindled my interest though.
>>
I have literally played every main game. Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Pearl, Diamond, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2, X, Y, Omega Ruby. I didn't get Alpha Sapphire.

I think Gens 1-5 were awesome. Diamond and Pearl were weak, but fuck Platinum ruled. Gen 6 has been a hollow experience. I didn't get Alpha Sapphire because I barely could finish Omega Ruby. I played Y, got X, didn't even finish it. The game isn't the same. I'm 26, loved these games, loved Black and White 2. But fuck, Gen 6 sucks. I hope this next game makes up for the last two shitty installments.
>>
>>24693643
>Be me
>Love Pokemon ever since I saw the first episode on TV at age 7.
>Got Yellow for my 10th birthday to emulate being a Pokemon Trainer.
>Play Crystal, Ruby, Emerald, Diamond, Platinum and finally Heartgold.
>At school, be known as "that kid" who still likes Pokemon after it stopped being popular. Still have all my old Pokemon cards and everything.

>Be 20ish
>Black and White come out
>Spend most time either drawing, working or fucking around on the internet.
>Don't play video games very much anymore.
>Didn't want to spend $200+ on the then-new DS system, plus $35-40 for a new game, both of which would probably just collect dust.

>24 now
>Missed the boat on two entire generations.
>Have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

I heard it's still too easy, anyways.
>>
>>24693643
No. I'll be with Pokémon forever.
>>
>>24693643
Don't worry m8, I too am losing interest. I am a fan of the franchise since its first TV series. I played a lot when I was a kid, but now I bought OR and I played for only a couple of hours, and I bought it on release.

I keep telling myself I will play it when I have time, but the thing is that I don't have much time anymore. Maybe one day they will start making games aimed at us, maybe one day they will finally make a Pokemon MMO.
>>
File: 1.png (121 KB, 635x532) Image search: [Google]
1.png
121 KB, 635x532
I turn 23 next week, and my interest has been on the decline since the release of Gen VI. X/Y was a minor disappoint, OR/AS was a major disappointment. There are many fifth- and sixth- gen Pokemon whose names I still haven't memorized. The only Pokemon game I've touched since finishing AS is the new Mystery Dungeon. The franchise seems to be heading in a wholly unappealing direction of handouts and limited-time offers and withheld features.
>>
>>24693643
>ITT: Everyone sharing the same story about "I bought Gen VI games on release day and I hate them" like what makes up this entire board

Do we really need more of these? It's fine if you're losing interest but why don't you just go do something else for now

On-topic: I haven't yet, but Z will make the final call for me.
>>
>>24693643
I love the franchise, because I spent so much time in it when I was younger, but now I just really dislike the games.

Like, there's nothing fun to do. There's no post-game to keep me busy anymore, so the only thing I can do is breeding a competitive team or catching them all. Playing pokémon feels like such a chore now because of that, while my younger self would've been satisfied by running around doing jack shit and catching some random mons left and right.

I'll be honest with you, I'm also shit at competitive, but I want to get better. However, I just feel so demotivated when everyone just injects it ;^) or uses VGC: the team: the experience.
Don't get me wrong though, if I got shit on by some creative team, I wouldn't mind at all. But I simply can't understand how anyone would be satisfied with the current meta, which almost completely is just play2win. inb4 play showdown xd
But that could just be me having high standards.

Pokémon isn't fun anymore, for me at least. Maybe it's the games, the community, or I'm just being a whiny little shit again.
PSMD is pretty fun now though, even though I didn't have a lot of time to play it. If only GF weren't in charge of making the mainline games anymore.
>>
>>24693643
>I've played every mainline Pokémon game since R/B/Y
>I'm not a genwunner
>my favourite Pokémon game overall is Pokémon Y
>Kalos is my favourite region
>I generally like all Pokémon designs from every generation
You know it's totally fine if you're not a fucking pokedrone, right? You don't have to buy every single generation, let alone play every single every game. Pokémon is an awful franchise that doesn't really care for their user-base. This is why every generation there's so much disappointment. Game Freak only cares about the money it can milk out of stupid people like you that buys anything without a second thought about the quality of the product. You also don't need to come here and try to fit in by saying you like all the designs or that you're not a genwunner. Mechanics, types, pokémon designs, remakes, etc. All of them have changed for better or worse. Expecting it to be everything good is being worse than naive.

>Is anyone else losing interest in the Pokémon franchise?
I lost interest in pokémon a long time ago. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good game or 2 if they come up. You should do the same.
>>
About to turn 25. Have played and enjoyed every gen, look forward to the next. Feels good.
>>
Just about sums up my feelings. I liked Y, but I haven't played it or Alpha Sapphire in a long time. Breeding is just so boring.
>>
>>24693643
For me it's the opposite. I don't need anyone t agree, but to me Gen 5 sucked huge donkey dick. Gen 6 so far has been a return to the experience I want from Pokemon, and I don't think I'd still be playing if it instead went down the Gen 5 route.
>>
>>24696559

b2/w2 was good, but the save times in gen 5 were insane. All the other games sans HG/SS were junk.

I'm not a fan of Gen 6 myself. I don't see how this is a return of an experience. For the most part Gen 6 has been the most shallow in terms of in game content, catering more toward online battling.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.