[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: supermysterydungeon.jpg (40 KB, 480x260) Image search: [Google]
supermysterydungeon.jpg
40 KB, 480x260
What went right?
>>
>>24692647
Actual effort in development
>>
It was made by devs who are capable of learning from mistakes.
>>
>>24692647
Wasnt made by Gamefreak I guess
>>
>>24692647
>actual designed sequence of missions and pokemon to get
>not required to use you or your partner outside of story dungeons, can immediately bring any 3 for missions
>difficulty level shown not only on missions but also on dungeons themselves
>no limit to storage space
>holding L lets you pick from all 4 moves
>looplets and emera provide variety and strategy
>you can push a line of pokemon rather than swapping places (though I wish the default was swap and you had to hold B to push instead of the way it is now)
>characters are unique and memorable
>writing is hilarious
>story is interesting (I'm not far enough to make a judgment on that yet)
>as soon as you get multiple party members, during regular missions you can swap who you're controlling instantly on the touch screen without using a turn
>connection orb chart is cool showing what you can expect as rewards, though for many of them you don't actually see the characters interacting in game like you do in xenoblade's affinity chart
>difficult right off the bat (I game over'd in one of the tutorial dungeons) but not super unfair
>GOD TIER OST
>>
>>24692907
I'm glad a post like this exists so that we can copy/paste this when the inevitable backlash against this game begins
>>
>>24693055
I don't think SMD will get a backlash. There's probably going to be some arguments over whether it or Sky was better.
>>
>>24692907
>holding L lets you pick from all 4 moves
That was present in Gates, too. But glad to know it wasn't removed.

>you can push a line of pokemon rather than swapping places (though I wish the default was swap and you had to hold B to push instead of the way it is now)
Sound like the Red Tiles from EMD. Or it's nothing like that?
>as soon as you get multiple party members, during regular missions you can swap who you're controlling instantly on the touch screen without using a turn
Wow. WOW. I was flipping my shit in joy in EMD when I knew that you can change the party leader in a simple way without wasting a turn, glad that thing made it to this game.
>>
>>24692907
You forgot to add in the no obnoxious random Pokemon asking to join when you already have it thing.
>>
I fucking love the Motivated Team system. It gives you a good excuse to use all of the random shitmon you acquire. It makes random "get to floor 3" missions more fun.
>>
>>24695394
How does it work? I didn't really understand the explanation they gave. It seemed to just give bonus exp to one of the motivated mons
>>
>>24693055
ORAS got backlash because it was actually bad. this isn't the same case.
>>
>>24695482
That's literally just it.

Also, if an Unown is motivated, it gets 6x EXP while its teammates get double EXP.
>>
>>24692907
>all the missions are just as flat and flimsy as the randomly-generated missions, despite being "planned out" via the connection orb
>connection orb also means there is a finite number of missions, reducing replayability
>difficulty level is often inaccurate since the difficulty is wildly inconsistent from dungeon to dungeon and mission to mission
>looplets and emera reduce long term progression and also contribute to the fluctuating difficulty
>also reduces amount of item variety since emera always disappear (less motivation to go out and collect them) and looplets are rarely found as items on the ground
>slow leveling speed means it's a pain to grow stronger and get more moves, ultimately means each Pokemon's usefulness is defined by their early moveset and any TMs you can get
>recruiting pokemon through the connection orb often reduces the joy or excitement that comes with recruiting them, since recruiting powerful pokemon can often feel too easy
>the first half of the story is filled with tutorials and restrictions on what you can do, dragging the beginning out to an enormous degree
>the second half of the story is rushed as hell because the first half is so drawn out, and it's difficult to empathize or connect with many of the characters as a consequence
>writing falls into many similar pitfalls Gates did, including a lack of nuance and an out-of-place non-Pokemon antagonist/final boss
>inability to nickname recruits reduces ability to personalize your own team

While there are some unambiguously good improvements and changes that Super makes, don't even try to ignore the flaws many of the new mechanics have. It's enjoyable, but very far from fundamentally solid.
>>
>>24695533
It makes me fundamentally solid :^)
>>
>>24695844
I'm glad you get a hard-on for rough-around-the-edges, poorly-paced games.
>>
>>24695489
Suuuuuuuuure
>>
>>24695924
Denial is a rough stage, I assure you. But everyone grows out of it eventually.
>>
>>24695942
Oh boy another shitposter trying to turn another thread into an ORAS shitposting thread how cute

Here is your (You) ;)
>>
>>24695489
What made you believe I was referring to ORAS? Every game (especially those with any number of people who give it hype) will receive backlash at any point. X/Y got hit. B/W 2 got hit, etc. I just do happen to like SMD, and will enjoy the wave of positive reception for now.

>>24695533
>doesn't explain why any are 'flat and flimsy'
>it takes a ridiculously long time to exhaust all the missions
>difficulty is mostly based around how you are prepared for the dungeon and what mons you have
>what the fuck does this even mean
>its good that looplets are not easy to find and emera are just good to have if you come across them
>this is how it always was in pmd, and the leveling rate is not that bad
>implying that beating the fuck out of random mons walking around a dungeon to recruit them gives you 'joy or excitement'
>the first half is pretty tough for a tutorial
>then you just rushed through the second half, don't know what to tell you
>m-muh non-Pokemon bosses or villains. also what nuance do pmd games have
>what an odd thing to complain about

I also love the 'unambiguously good improvements' and 'enjoyable' compliments you give to try and level out the criticisms. if you didn't like the game, you didn't like the game, dude
>>
File: 1446076828361.png (513 KB, 534x652) Image search: [Google]
1446076828361.png
513 KB, 534x652
>>24695489
>ORAS got backlash because it was actually bad
>>
File: 1390601564984.png (896 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1390601564984.png
896 KB, 750x750
>>24695924
>>24695989
>>24696254
Here come the ORAS denial fags shitting up yet another thread.
>>
>>24696254
>This denial
>>
>>24695533
>don't even try to ignore the flaws
>in a "what went right" thread
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.