[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do so many people remember Blue challenging you at the end
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: rival_ing_by_gabasonian-d9eca90.jpg (471 KB, 800x1147) Image search: [Google]
rival_ing_by_gabasonian-d9eca90.jpg
471 KB, 800x1147
why do so many people remember Blue challenging you at the end of every cave? he literally never does that
>>
>>24679625
I think it's more of a joke looking back on things. The first time you played, you never really knew when he'd show up. Several of his appearances are in dungeons or other times where your Pokemon weren't likely to be fully healed, or in a place that it'd be annoying to be sent back should you lose.
>>
>>24679684
> Several of his appearances are in dungeons or other times where your Pokemon weren't likely to be fully healed, or in a place that it'd be annoying to be sent back should you lose.

but where they?

>Oak's Lab: both your pokemon are the same level and your pokemon is at full health
>Route 22: he's the only trainer in the route
>Cerulean city: he's the first trainer in the nugget bridge. You already used the pokemon center so your pokemon are at full health
>SS Anne: there's a bed that can heal your pokemon, though I doubt anyone would have used it without knowing that he'd appear
>Lavender city: he's the first trainer in the pokemon tower. There's a pokemon center next to the tower so your pokemon are most likely at full health
>Silph co: will only battle you if you are right in front of him. He appears after a room full of beds that can heal your pokemon
>Route 22 again: he's the only trainer in the route
>Pokemon league: you know you will battle him so you can heal before the battle
>>
>>24679625
I think it comes from people that headed towards nugget bridge right after Mt. Moon without stopping at the pokemon center
>>
>>24679625
>"Wow, look at this route by Viridian City! There's lots of new Pokemon here."
>"Awesome, I caught a bunch of new ones. I wonder what's further in?"
>GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK shows up and buttfucks your wounded-ass starter and the 3 HP shitmons you just collected

>"Jesus Christ I thought Mt. Moon would never end. Gotta find that Pokemon center, pronto."
>"Hmm, where's the center? Maybe up here..."
>GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK powerslides down Nugget Bridge and shoves his Pidgeotto straight up your bleeding asshole

And of course he just sits there chilling with a perfectly rested team while you slog through the entire Elite Four, after you used all your healing items on Lance because you figured there would only be FOUR fights in the Elite FOUR.
>>
>>24679727
why would anyone do that?
>>
I remember it, it was october of 1999, I was playing through blue, Oh, I guess I should visit captn from the ss anne and get this cut thing.

>Bonjour!
>Red!
>???
>defeated

That was the first of many defeats I had against blue since I tried to keep all 6 mons with almost the same level cap.

When I got pokemon red, I decided to just raise charmander line and I had a fiery non-dragon pokemon stomping everything when I reached the elite four.
>>
>>24679715
This just in; you can prepare for battles if you have extensive knowledge of the game beforehand. More news at 11.

Gary fucked you up because there was about a 50/50 chance of you being healed when you fought him. And considering all the times you battle him, you're bound to be in rough shape in a few of those.
>>
>>24679759
>This just in; you can prepare for battles if you have extensive knowledge of the game beforehand. More news at 11.

you don't need to know he's gonna appear, you just need common sense

route 22? you must've already used the viridian pokemon center
cerulean city? you already used the pokemon center because your pokemon were either weakened or didn't have many PPs left after going through mt moon
lavender town? you most likely used the pokemon center because you just went through the rock tunnel
pokemon league? you are told you have to battle blue next, so you have time to heal
>>
How did this meme even start? The only way you could get caught out by Blue is if you were an idiot.
>>
>>24679715
>S.S. Anne
So there you are, checking out every room in the ship, picking up loads of loot and battling everyone. You're feeling good because you got some nice shit, and your team's at about half health, so you feel like you can take on a couple more Poliwag before healing. You round a corner that looks like every other single corner on the ship and BAM. Goddamn GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK shows up with a French lesson and a bitch slap.

>Silph Co.
You've been waging war on Team Rocket for hours now and your team is torn to shit. Maybe you found the healing bed, maybe you didn't. You've been burned a couple times for talking to NPCs you thought were Silph employees, so who knows. Either way, you've been teleporting all over the fucking place and you have no idea how you got where you are. You see GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK standing there waiting for you, save your game, and give it a try. Better than trying to figure out the warp panels again, right? WRONG. Meet Gary's Alakazam, it's about to take you on a guided tour of hell.
>>
>>24679786
>you don't need to know he's gonna appear, you just need common sense
If you were using common sense, you'd have used your potions before fighting Lance because he's the fourth member of the Elite Four. You're full of shit. When you're playing for the first time you don't know exactly where the Pokemon Centers are. Of course it's easy when you're a grown-ass adult who has played the games loads of times before, but for a kid playing for the first time, Gary is a huge fucking threat because you never know when he's going to show up with that fucking music of his and shit fury on your half-dead team.
>>
When the fuck do you go through a cave challenge and immediately battle your rival in gen one?

Here's your answer: NO WHERE
>>
>>24679843
or a kid.
>>
>>24679843
Exactly. Like most people, I was born as a fully grown neckbeard with intimate knowledge of Pokemon, so it was easy to prepare for every single one of his encounters even though it was my first playthrough. Only an idiot wouldn't know the exact tiles that trigger his appearances on their first time.
>>
>>24679843
mostly kid memories rushing all over the place without using pokemon centers but at least they put them (Gary and Silver) in a few places where they could surprise you like

In fact the only times they caught me with the pants down was with Gary on the boat after checking some rooms (my teams still rolled him) and Silver when he appears at the end of that cave near the E4 when my teams was busted after farming exploding gravelers. I had to burn at least 6 items to revive and restore moves and let him kill both HM slaves.

I just played Black and since they heal you so getting caught is out of the question.
>>
>>24679625
>playing the male protag
>>
>>24679939

I remember the first time I played Gold, I was stuck on ???'s Goldenrod Invasion fight for ages because I was only using my Typhlosion to power through the game and at that stage it only knew Normal and Fighting type attacks, because I was a moron. I got TPKed by his Haunter and had to actually learn how to play the game to proceed.
>>
File: 1424288605571.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1424288605571.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>24680014
>playing as female characters
>>
>>24679739
>>24679759
>>24679844
>>24679867
>>24679939
Blue. His name is Blue.
>>
>>24680108
No, it's DICKS.
>>
>>24679625
>blue
*tips fedora*
>>
>>24680108
Newfag
>>
>>24679871
>not getting the joke
>>
>>24679843
Nostalgia?
>>
>>24679715
If Red/Blue is your first Pokemon game, going up to explore instead of heading straight for the Pokemon center is a perfectly viable option and you can meet Blue when you were just on your way around exploring. You don't really know that you're about to battle the first few steps you take outside the city.
>>
>>24679739
>"Jesus Christ I thought Mt. Moon would never end. Gotta find that Pokemon center, pronto."
>"Hmm, where's the center? Maybe up here..."
>GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK powerslides down Nugget Bridge and shoves his Pidgeotto straight up your bleeding asshole

So, what, did you go in the straight opposite direction of the Pokemon Center that you find head on as soon as you enter the city and that literally can't stop being in the screen even if you go upwards as soon as you can?
>>
File: 1395720785222 (2).png (117 KB, 213x293) Image search: [Google]
1395720785222 (2).png
117 KB, 213x293
>he calls blue Gary
absolutely euphoric
>>
>>24681038
Can't see the sign that says it's a center though.
>>
>>24681125

Why would you assume it would be away from the rest of the buildings?
>>
File: CherryCrush.jpg (328 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CherryCrush.jpg
328 KB, 1920x1080
>>24681100
>He calls Green Blue
>>
File: 400px-Pokemon_RBY_CeruleanCity.png (267 KB, 400x347) Image search: [Google]
400px-Pokemon_RBY_CeruleanCity.png
267 KB, 400x347
>>24679739
>>"Hmm, where's the center? Maybe up here..."
No, only a complete retard would think that. You have to get OUTSIDE THE CITY to start the battle. Not even a kid with a transplanted dead boar's brain would think the Pokemon Center is outside the fucking city.

>>24681425
You are not Japanese.
>>
File: jotaro_fans.jpg (9 KB, 243x250) Image search: [Google]
jotaro_fans.jpg
9 KB, 243x250
>>24681425
>manga
>canon
might as well call Red Ash while were at it, since we are using non-canon names
>>
>>24679625
Blue was your rival before either of you became Pokemon trainers. It was a childhood full of one-upsmanship with Trainer life being the "final" challenge.

Serena/Calem only did it to keep themselves interested in pushing their own skill. Competition was more friendly because it was on a whim.
>>
>>24679625
it's a joke made popular by this comic
(or another similar one I'm not 100% sure)
>>
Nugget Bridge Tbh. Didn't expect him to pop up there.
>>
File: 1402193853249.jpg (28 KB, 283x262) Image search: [Google]
1402193853249.jpg
28 KB, 283x262
>>24681431
>Implying manga
in the manga translation he's called Blue too, it's his Japanese name that is Green
>>
>>24679727
I think that did happened to me.
>>
>>24681100
>>24681425
>mfw I nickname him RĂ©gis because he's un con.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.