[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Useless items
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
File: Ice_Heal.png (3 KB, 55x90) Image search: [Google]
Ice_Heal.png
3 KB, 55x90
What is the most useless item that has appeared in all six Generations of Pokémon games?
>>
any of the X-stat items because who the fuck uses those

or ice heal since you never get frozen by npcs unless you have shit luck
>>
>>24676955
why are the x-stat items even in the games anymore honestly
>>
>>24676902
Awakening in Pokemon Colosseum games
>>
>>24676955

Do NPCs even use any Ice moves before you can purchase Full Heals? Ice-types seem to always be late in the game (Gym seven or eight, or an Elite Four member).
>>
>>24676955
>any of the X-stat items because who the fuck uses those
the only game i used these in was platinum. if it's imperative that you need to be strong enough to ko or outspeed something, they're great
>>
>>24676973
>What is the most useless item that has appeared in all six Generations of Pokémon games?

probably just gf being too lazy to remove them. if they reworked them they might be ok, like merge them down into 3 items or something (physical pill, special pill, speed+crit pill)
>>
Genesect's Drives (Burn Drive, Chill Drive, Shock Drive, Douse drive) are mostly horrible, since Techno Blast isn't all that good and Genesect has better coverage moves anyway.

Guard Spec. It keeps your stats fro mbeing lowered for 5 turns. Honestly, who uses this? I can understand the X-Attack style items, but Guard Spec? Seriously? What do you REALLY need to prevent that wild Zigzagoon from using Sand Attack and Tail Whip 5 times this battle? You can just switch ut if Sand Attack makes your accuracy too low. Maybe it's for solo runs? I don't know.

Ditto's Metal Powder and Quick Powder. They only work if Ditto hasn't Transformed yet. Just breed to get a Ditto with Imposter. Anyway, even if you don't have Imposter, like this is Gen-4 or something, Transforming is always the first thing you do with Ditto, so this item is useful for all of 1 turn.

TM 60 teaches Quash. I'm sure someone, somewhere made use of Quash in a double or triple battle, but as far as I'm concerned the move is garbage, which makes the TM garbage too.
>>
>>24677045

shit, meant >>24676973
>>
>>24677045
X-Accuracy 6 maxes out Accuracy, which is fun with my Chandelure that knows Inferno. Too bad you can't use it against other players, though...
>>
Well if you consider shit from gen 2 and up, the lucky punch is really fucking useless. Why would anyone want to run an offensive chansey with crits?
>>
>>24677050
I can think of a few of the horde encounters that would made less annoying by a Guard Spec. That said, those are mostly Sand Attack spammers, which you can just use Swift/Aerial Ace for.
>>
>>24676955
>>24676973
For in-game mons who don't have Swords Dance or Calm Mind or stuff like that then.

If you rely on shit like Meditate or Defense Curl, you might as well delete that slot and use X-items instead for that extra KO.
>>
Norman's gym where they all open with stat ups giving you a free turn to kill them.
>>
Luminous Moss

I didn't even know it existed until I saw it pop up in Showdown's teambuilder when I was searching for something else
>>
>>24676902
None of them are useless.
You just don't know how to them right.
>>
File: 1435370353941.png (170 KB, 659x564) Image search: [Google]
1435370353941.png
170 KB, 659x564
>>24677050
>Just breed to get a Ditto with Imposter
>>
>>24677323
Snowball, Absorb Bulb and Cell Battery too. Even with item clause there's always something better your pokémon can hold.
>>
>>24677323
If anything, Luminous Moss is very situational. Is there even a setup on Smogon that uses it?
>>
>>24676955
They're useful if you don't want to grind
>>
>>24677397
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/items/luminous_moss/

Nope.

praise smogon for actually listing pokemon that use specific items
>>
>>24677346
Be honest: how many times have you had to use an ice heal in-game?
>>
>>24676955
X-items are actually amazing in game, it allows you to sweep shit so easily.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 KB, 80x80
Pretty sure nobody has ever got any use of this crap
>>
>>24677421
>starting BW Starmie flashbacks

kek
>>
>>24677395
Absorb Bulb actually has some use on doubles/triples Ludicolo. I used to use it to sweep Battle Subway in White
>>
>>24677421
Only thing I can thing of is tricking it on to a ghost type.
>>
>>24676982
Underated post.
X-Accuracy even more so than in other games as well
>>
>>24677433
Yeah, I was generalizing. I'm sure they have some niche uses.

>>24677421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCov5hQ4BW4
>>
>>24677462
as if ally switch outsped extremespeed
fun strats but the opponent was a turd

9/10 would use to annoy smogontards
>>
File: Useless.png (4 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
Useless.png
4 KB, 80x80
How has nobody brought up binding band yet? All it does it raise the power of constricting moves and in all the games where you can get it you have to spend BP for it.
>>
>>24677553
what is infestation contrary shuckle
>>
Lucky Punch.
>>
>>24677682
Ding-ding.
>>
>>24676955
Speedruns.
>>
At least useless items are good for selling.
>>
>>24676902
Any of the X items. Why waste a turn to raise a stat just one stage? Who even uses those?
>>
File: 1430090482839.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1430090482839.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>24677858
Say your pokemon does not have an attack stat boosting move. You rather 1hko all 6 of opponents rather than 2hko. Raising attack one stage can result in a battle lasting 7 turns versus 12. Even longer with opponents getting the chance to attack back/stall in game.
>>
>>24677050
It's lame, but the best use of Guard Spec. I have ever found is Clair's Kingdra in GSC. If she doesn't have a super-effective move against you, it seems like she just loves spamming Smokescreen at my Pokemon. I know, you can switch out, but that game already underlevels you and STAB Surf and Dragonbreath hurt, not to mention Hyper Beam.
>>
>>24677858
If you're doing a Sunkern-only run they can help a lot
>>
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/items/latiosite/
>>
>>24677395

I think they would be better if they actually absorbed the incoming attack just once and then boosted the relevant stat.
>>
>>24678162
Mega Latios by itself isn't objectively a bad Pokemon tho. Just subpar compared to other Megas.
>>
>>24677584
Still getting more use out of Leftovers or a Rocky Helmet.
>>
>>24677421
I don't even know what's it.
>>
>>24676902
Max repel
>>
>>24677050

Genesect's Drives should be key items that can change the type without wasting the item slot. Then Techno Blast would be a great move.
>>
>>24676955
>tfw when i got swept by a Froslass that froze my entire team
>>
File: 1447169403266.jpg (35 KB, 598x347) Image search: [Google]
1447169403266.jpg
35 KB, 598x347
>>24677050
>Just breed to get a Ditto with imposter

What?
>>
The Pecha Berry. Is there a single set anywhere, ever, that depends so heavily on not getting poisoned it needs to devote the entire item slot to preventing a single instance of that happening?
>>
>>24678658
It's pretty useful early game. Pokémon IS an RPG.
>>
>>24678658
Maybe some Stall-Sets, but you could just use a Lum Berry or use Aromatherapy/Healbell.
>>
>>24678179
More like subpar compared to a Soul Dew Latios
Is choice scarf/spec + Trick Latios still a thing?
>>
>>24678658
Pecha berries are better in gen-4 when poison still hurt you outside battle. Great for going through that forest full of Wurmple and shit.
>>
>>24677412
Well, I never buy them, but you can find them on the ground, and I've been frozen a few times ingame. Tell me, would you rather use a Full Heal, an item that would have use elsewhere, or an Ice Heal, which would only ever be useful when you're frozen?
>>
>>24678747
Full Heal because let's be honest. The AI also probably hit me with Confusion, Attract, Taunt, etc. etc.
>>
>>24678658
I don't see why you're singling out Pecha Berry when there are infinitely more worthless berries alone

Nanab berry literally has no effect at all and before you cite it for Pokeblocks, Magost Berry does the same thing but has higher sweetness stats, and is easier to obtain.
>>
>>24677421
Ring Target Cofagrigus + Slaking in doubles.

The true answer is Strange Souvenir :^)
>>
>>24678658
Trick it onto a Gliscor/Breloom

Could do the same with Lum, but you run the risk of using it up on a burn or something instead.
>>
>>24677462
>Against mega drain sceptile

I'm sure he must be proud.
>>
File: is this Nico for real.png (384 KB, 768x720) Image search: [Google]
is this Nico for real.png
384 KB, 768x720
>>24677050
>Just breed to get a Ditto with Imposter
>>
>>24677584
If bind and infestation stacked then maybe. But lefties is so much better
>>
>>24677421
I love the build of prankster Liepard with trick,Its really good if pulled against certain mary sue mons.
>>
>>24676902
the shit that increases the damage of constricting/trapping moves while it's obviously better to have them last longer (since come on, if you use that you wanna setup on some wall)
>>
>>24679268
>tricking a toxic orb on to yourself

nxtlvlstr4ts
>>
Pretty Wing.
>>
>>24682271
>pecha berry Klutz Lopunny with Switcheroo

>RalphWaldoSimpson.jpeg
>>
File: prepare_ur_anus.jpg (119 KB, 948x842) Image search: [Google]
prepare_ur_anus.jpg
119 KB, 948x842
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT "ALL 6 GENERATIONS"

Fresh Water is the most efficient way to do the Thirst quest in Gen 1
Soda Pop can be stashed early in Gen 3
Lemonade is super efficient in every Gen from 1-6

I vote for Dire Hit because it's not even fun to use
>>
Those of you who say that X Items and Guard Spec. are useless haven't seen speedruns. They are surprisingly handy when you only have one usable, underleveled mon and want to beat the game early.
I agree with OP, Ice Heal is probably the most useless. You can only use it ingame, where freeze is really rare.
>>
>>24676955
X-Accuracy was broken in Gen 1. It gave PERFECT accuracy for OHKO moves.

Shows what you know, faggot.
>>
the stick
>>
>>24686364
Stick is the only thing capable of making Farfetch'd decent.
>>
>>24677421
Ring Target should work for both the holder and the opponent. This way you might consider it held on a Rapid Spinner or something.
>>
>>24676902
In the GameCube RPGs, Awakenings are literally pointless. Why would I buy an item to wake up my Pokémon when I can just CALL them?
>>
For the sake of trick hijinks, I can't think of anything the Lagging Tail does that the Iron Ball does better.
>>
>>24688949
Iron Ball also removes Ground-type immunity.
>>
>>24678338
Repels are great for filtering some Pokemon when searching for a specific one in wild grass.
>>
>>24688987
he means max repel specifically it's like 15% more expensive per step than a super repel
>>
>>24689011
unless you are in bw2 and are buying from join avenue
>>
I agree with Ice Heal. By the time you get to the point in the game where NPCs actually use freezing attacks semi-regularly, you've already got a bag of Full Heals.
>>
>>24689033

I used Ice Heal for the first time in Y. I didn't need to, I had plenty of Full Heals, but having played every Pokémon game since the beginning, I guess I just wanted to finally be able to use it.
>>
Max Repel is the most useless item in the game, Super Repels are infinitely more cost efficient.
>>
>>24692697
Nah, I just don't want to see that "would you like to use another repel" screen as often, even if it is more expensive. Money is pretty much everywhere, so there's no reason to save it.
>>
>>24692697
That's what you think. One day you will need to use repel for 19801 steps and your precious super repels will fail you.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.