[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Corruption
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (443 KB, 433x501) Image search: [Google]
image.png
443 KB, 433x501
So when RBY hit the Eshop and people inevitably perform the many glitches involving MISSINGNO, will data corruption still be prevalent as well?

Assuming these games have absolutely NO change from the originals and all of the glitches still work the same. Would corrupted data essentially destroy your digital download? Is corruption even possible with "modern" game software? Obviously the majority of us all have the same information but there are those who are very adamant in their stance of how this game will operate, and am curious what you guys think.
>>
>>24672889
I imagine there will be some sort of way to un-fuck your game if they do let it stay exactly the same.
>>
>>24672946
I thought that too at first but then hear that it is not likely GF would put that much work into these games, if at all.
>>
>>24672889
Some of the worst ones like superglitch will fuck up your save but that's really it. The rom will stay unmolested.
>>
>>24673010
How can we know for sure it wouldn't do more than that? Now that I'm assuming at least a minor amount of code was added for the infrared functionality that the 3DS could be effected?
Has there been any more confirming information released about the games since their reveal regarding things like this?
>>
all speculation. just wait for the release and try it yourself instead of asking questions that just add more speculation.
>>
Are you really asking this? The only thing that gets fucked is the save data , the ROM doesn't get changed and it can't be altered
>>
>>24673074
That isn't how any of that works, Anon.
>>
Has anyone's save even been corrupted by missingno? As a kid i heard the rumors of cartridge death but missingno and the other glitch mons only ever made my hall of fame funky. I used only glitch mons for a few playthroughs and my cart was perfectly fine
>>
>>24672889
>Missingno. data corruption
Not harmful. Missingno. will corrupt your Hall of Fame, your 6th item, and certain graphics. However, there are other glitches that are much more harmful than Missingno..
>would corrupted data destroy your digital download
Impossible. At worst it will crash the emulator or make a save file unplayable, but you can always restart and start a new game. There's a reason that game files are called "ROMs". It stands for "read only memory", i.e. data that is never altered, only read.
>is corruption possible with modern software
Yes, but some glitches may work differently depending on how accurate the emulator is.
>>24673074
>infrared functionality could be altered
It's possible that you could send/receive unintended data(garbage, prewritten data from a PC), but I doubt that it could lead to something like arbitrary code execution or affecting data outside the emulator.
>>
>>24673240
Thank you for the thorough response. Would hall of fame data be affected if you haven't yet beaten the game, but still performed the glitch? Doesn't the glitch only screw things up if you do the glitch a certain way, through saving or something?
>>
>>24673427
I don't think it can corrupt anything that isn't there in the first place
>>
>>24673427
>would Hall of Fame be affected if you haven't beaten the game
I'm not sure, but it could go either way.
>doesn't the glitch only screw things up if you do the glitch a certain way
Merely encountering Missingno. or 'M will trigger all forms of the glitch, as far as I'm aware. Maybe catching them will make certain aspects worse? Not sure on that one.
>>
>>24674413

Catching it is what eventually killed my red version. I eventually had to backup save everytime I did anything using a gameshark. Which was on a new playthrough cuz the original save died.

And restoring the save file everytime I wanted to continue didnt really help that much either.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEEB41Lz59c
Glitches were the only good thing about Gen 1.
>>
>>24672889
It's going to be emulated. It's not going to damage your console, or software, in any way. The worst case is that it corrupts your save, which is stored in the SD card, and it's easy to delete.

>Is corruption even possible with "modern" game software?
Yes.

>very adamant in their stance of how this game will operate
We already know how the Virtual Console works. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console
>>
>yfw Nintendo has to go back and patch nearly 20-year old code
this is why you do it right the first time

i'm also interested to see if anybody can break out of the emulator and run homebrew; imagine hacking your 3ds by just playing a game in a certain way
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.