[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the fucked up balancing of these game actually make your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: Blue.png (348 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Blue.png
348 KB, 400x400
Does the fucked up balancing of these game actually make your experience playing them any worse?
>>
Its only a problem when you play them at a level which Game Freak never in a million years anticipated.

I think some of the actual glitches in which certain moves and effects don't work as GF intended to would be more of an issue, but then again, most of these manfunctions aren't obvious and were only discovered after thousands of hours of obsessively observant gameplay years and years after the games were out of print anyway.
>>
>>24666453
>fucked up balancing
Not any worse than gen 6
>>
>>24666463
This question came from a conversation I was having with my friend, where I talked about how I, as a mediocre player who only wants to get through the game, feel like I'm doing math homework instead of going on an adventure in the new games.

I think the old games had different design/artistic goals than the new ones, which is sort of why I get annoyed when I see people calling these games "objectively shit" for their terrible balancing.
>>
I consider in-game gen 1 more balanced than in-game gen 6. At least in gen 1 I'm not 10 levels over the E4 by the time I reach them (USING the tools the game gives me instead of arbitrarily shooting myself in the foot like some people suggest) and obviously there aren't megas to abuse either.
>>
>>24666453
>>24666463
>>24666483
>>24666493
>>24666521

Wrap and its variants are abused by AT LEAST 4 different mandatory bosses. Meme harder.
>>
>>24666580
I don't know why this matters to anything I said, but good to know I guess.
>>
>>24666580
So what? That only makes it more challenging. Wrap is hardly any more broken in gen 1 than Shadow Tag is now. It isn't even banned in the gen 1 competitive metagame.
>>
>>24666580

Psychic types were basically Elektross or pre Gen VI Sableye and Spiritomb. They had no weaknesses.
>>
>>24666453
Not really. The very fact these games got popular in the first place should already prove that.

>>24666463
This.
>>
>>24666493
>how I, as a mediocre player who only wants to get through the game, feel like I'm doing math homework instead of going on an adventure in the new games.
You're either too retarded or take the games too seriously. The only thing you should care about for in-game are type matchups and you can even not care about that if you're overleveled enough. And type matchups barely changed so you learn them for one game and you're pretty much done.
>>
No.

But the small inventory and text based box system do.
>>
>>24666580
Switch out or use something faster instead of complaining you faggot.
>>
>>24666463 makes a completely rational and legitimate statement, >>24666580 calls it a meme.

LOL ok.
>>
>>24666453
I was like 7-9 when I started playing

I didn't know the difference
>>
>>24666793
Hello, there. I see you haven't actually played gen I. Not to worry, an actual adult is here to help.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wrap_%28move%29#Generation_I

The above article contains all the information you obviously lack. No need to thank me. Just doing my part to make /vp/ a better place.

>>24666613
>So what? That only makes it more challenging

No it doesn't. It only forces grinding.

>Wrap is hardly any more broken in gen 1 than Shadow Tag is now.

Shadow Tag at least allowed you to fucking act.

>>24666794
Way to disregard the rest of my post! It sure makes you look mature and not underage at all!
>>
>>24666832
>No it doesn't. It only forces grinding.

No it doesn't. It encourages using your brain to counter it. Not everything needs to be solved with grinding. Is this why you fucks actually defend gen 6's exp share? Because you felt the need to grind for absolutely EVERYTHING before?

>Shadow Tag at least allowed you to fucking act
So does Wrap. You can switch to a faster Pokemon to react as soon as the Wrap counter ends. And because you seem to be retarded you didn't read your own link, you CAN switch from Wrap in gen 1. They didn't disallow switching until gen 2.
>>
>>24666832
Switch out or use something faster instead of complaining you faggot.
>>
>ITT The Baitening: Bait Harder Boogaloo

Ignoring this thread, it will be the number one thing the nostalgiafags complain about a month after the rerelease, guaranfuckingteed.
>>
File: FuckThisGuy.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
FuckThisGuy.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
>>24666629
>Psychic types
>No weaknesses
Do you even Jolteon? jkjk

But seriously, I hate the uselessness of Haunter in Saffron City.
In the anime, Ash beat her with one so I was like, okay cool, good to know.
BUT NO! FUCKING LIED TO ME!
I got wrecked so fucking hard idk how many times I tried. Poor 7 y/o me didn't know what to do.
RAGE MODE
3 more times..
YOU BLACKED OUT!
YOU BLACKED OUT!
YOU BLACKED OUT!
I broke my Gameboy Color and threw in the trash after screaming for 5 mins in my pillow.
>TrueStory.jpg
>>
>>24666886

>nostalgiafags

If you ask me the real nostalgiafags already pirated the games on their phones to half-ass play inbetween facebook posts during their breaks, and wouldn't give a shit about balancing if it bit them on the ass
>>
>>24666860
>>24666881

>You can switch to a faster Pokemon to react as soon as the Wrap counter ends

OH WOW! I GET ONE FUCKING ATTACK EVERY 5 GODDAMN MOTHER FUCKING TURNS! THANK YOU BASED GEN 1! LE BEST FUCKING GAME EVER! BETTER SELL MY COPY OF ORAS TO GET WRAP SPAMMED EVERY OTHER GYM BATTLE BECAUSE ANYONE THAT PLAYS ANY OTHER WAY IS A AN UNDERAGE FEDORA SHILL CASUAL. US GENWUNNERS, AMIRITE?

Raptor protip: kill yourself.
>>
>>24666881
>wrap
>switching out
>>
>>24666933
You actually can, but then the new pokemon can be wrap spammed. It even traps fucking ghosts.
>>
>>24666933
>>24666832
this is proof anti-genwunners never actually played gen 1 and they're just on a bandwagon to fit in
>>
>>24666996
>I post actual facts about the game
>you respond with HURR DURR U NEVER LE PLAYED IT LEY BANDWAGON LE UNDERAGE XDDDDD

Raptor protip: kill yourself.
>>
>>24667034
>Reposting
>You actually deleted a post, because you thought this one was a better comeback
I feel sorry for you kid.
You'll never experience the revolution of 1997
>>
>>24667084
>making shit up
>call people that call you out on your ad hominem "kid"

Good one. You don't look like a kid at all LOOOOOL
>>
>>24666901
>(You)
>>
File: RepostingFaggot.gif (708 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
RepostingFaggot.gif
708 KB, 500x281
>>24667132
>implying
>ad hominem
>LOOOOL
>>
>>24667193
>>ad hominem

Do you not know what that word means or something?

>>24667148
WELL FUCKING MEMED MEIN FREUND!
>>
File: image_15.jpg (49 KB, 552x554) Image search: [Google]
image_15.jpg
49 KB, 552x554
>>24666899
>iktf
>>
>>24666463
>most of these manfunctions aren't obvious and were only discovered after thousands of hours of obsessively observant gameplay years and years after the games were out of print anyway.
This. The only thing I remember was how being frozen meant a lost game, the high critical ratio of some pokemon and the hyper beam fest.

In general I'd say Gen I was the most balanced generation due to less moves and types.
>>
>>24666899
Is it true that GF intended to make ghost immune to psychic,but due to a bug it became the other way around?
>>
>>24667294
Don't know, but making it and every Grass-type not named Tangela part-Poison didn't help matters.
>>
>>24666453
>beat Erika
>can't get any further and feel bad about myself because Mega Mewtwo doesn't join my team because he thinks I'm a special snowflake

Fuck off I'm sticking with ORAS
>>
>>24666901
>OH WOW! I GET ONE FUCKING ATTACK EVERY 5 GODDAMN MOTHER FUCKING TURNS!
>Not killing Arbok and Tentacruel with an Alakazam.
>Not killing Onix with grass or water pokemon.
>Not blasting the fuck out of Tangela and Victreebel using fire attacks.
>Not Ice Beaming Dragonite to oblivion.

Here's your reply.
>>
>>24666901
Holy shit this guy is mad lol

I've played red version countless times starting from when I was a kid and the only time I had trouble with wrap was that early ekans trainer after Brock. I can't recall any instance later where it was a problem, because later on your pokemon are leveled enough to outspeed or don't mind wraps piss poor power.

Obviously you were butt ravaged by it numerous times to be so worked up here about it though, did you only use a lickitung or something? Kek
>>
>>24667680
>TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL U LE MAD XDDD

Typical genwunner response
>>
>>24667680
hum.. did you play the competitive in gen1?
wrap was actually an issue, but I don't see why you guys are going nuts even if the solution is IN the gen1 meta
evasion moves
for everyone have something complaint, did you actually try them competitively?
>>
Alright, I'm gonna level with all you kiddies who never played anything before RSE.
In Gen 1, Wrap damages and traps you for 2-5 turns. During that time:
The Wrapped Pokemon
>Can't attack
>Can't switch
>Takes damage at the end of every turn
The Pokemon using Wrap
>Can't attack. Selecting "Fight" just causes your Wrap to continue.

It's not like the Pokemon using Wrap gets 2-5 turns of free attacks. It get 2-5 turns of Wrap. That's it. The only remotely scary aspects of Wrap are comboing with Toxic or choking out slower Pokemon, both of which are easily avoided. Aside from that it's just a decent normal move that says "Ekans's attack continues!" a few times.
>>
Nobody actually gives a shit, whoever plays gen 1 for stats is just taking the fun out of the game.

>>24666933
GOOD LUCK ROTOM ANON
>>
>>24668113
See: >>24667194

Also,
>can't attack
>except it's still attacking

Good job, numbnuts
>>
>>24668190
Still attacking with a ~15 power move. Enjoy.

I did forget you could still switch out in Gen 1.
>>
>>24668232
>moving goalposts

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-293749673

:^)
>>
>>24668236
I saw. Articunofag forfeited for no reason. Wrap has 85 Accuracy and deals like no damage. I don't even
>>
>>24666899
Yup.

>brought a Haunter to that Gym to fuck shit up
>he gets KOed on the first turn
>beat Sabrina with my Charizard instead

And that is how Charizard and I became enternal bros.
>>
>>24666580
There's not really much to abuse in the scope of big gym boss battles. It's a tactic and it's as fair in-game during Gen I as Stealth Rock is in Gen IV and Megas are in Gen VI.

When it really gets fucked is during random trainer battles. I've had whole teams wrecked halfway through Mt. Moon just because one Ekans Wrapped every single mon I got to death while my party was slightly worn out by all the exploration/general attrition that exists in Gen I due to inflated level design. They didn't know what pacing was exactly back then. That's fine. Still the most unobtrusive and best-designed game in regards to what it set out to be.
>>
>>24666832
Of all plausible, objectively correct counterarguments you had, you defaulted to the knee-jerk response to Shadow Tag? Seriously. Everything we're talking about right now applies ONLY to in-game mechanics. Wrap was a problem and slightly broken in-game during Gen I, sure. Shadow Tag isn't a problem whatsoever in-game, because it's barely present save for that one random trainer who has a Wobbuffet. Yet for some reason you're analyzing all the wrong aspects of Shadow Tag and its implications in the meta.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.