[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokémon Gaia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 25
It's been a while since I played a ROMhack for /vp/, and this one caught my eye. I was holding off on playing it since it seemed like Prism had a chance of coming out but it predictably got delayed. Veteran's Day gives me a perfect opportunity.

Pokémon Gaia is a hack made by Spherical Ice. A beta for it came out this month that introduces some nifty shit that I don't want to spoil (though if you go to the hack threads on /vp/ you probably already know).
>>
File: heh heh, wood.png (18 KB, 240x640) Image search: [Google]
heh heh, wood.png
18 KB, 240x640
>>24628536
The game starts with an introduction by Professor Redwood, an archeologist, telling us about fossils.

Now the important decision, are we a boy or a girl?
>>
>>24628542
Be a grill.
>>
oh my nards
>>
>>24628549
Done.

We start the game in Celanto Town—"Enigmas of the Past Prevail"—and our mother gives us a letter telling us we need to take a book we borrowed to some nearby ruins. We grab the book and our running shoes and head off.
>>
Bump.
See in 9 hours.
>>
File: more choices.png (130 KB, 240x2642) Image search: [Google]
more choices.png
130 KB, 240x2642
>>24628592
Celanto Town is pretty cozy. There's a library that's mostly blocked off (but a lady gave me a Tinymushroom), a hotel, and a few other sparsely placed houses. Heading through the town I see some obvious sidequests to jot down.

>lady with a Meowth wants an Oran Berry
>fisherman wants to see a full team of Pokémon
>lady who loves Premier Balls
>man wants to see a Shuppet

We also grab a Twistedspoon and a Potion. The path to the left is blocked off by a kid who demands to see a Pokémon before you can pass, and the right path is blocked off by construction. The ruins are to the south.

When we get to the ruins, we find an old lady near a set of totem poles. She tells us how the book belongs to her and we return it. Heading back to town our mother chased after us worried that we didn't anything to protect us from the Pokémon in the ruins, and tells us there's a professor in the library in town.

There are two other trainers with Prof. Redwood when we get there, and as the Prof. explains his position (looking for researchers to continue his work) one storms off in a huff. The other trainer and I are told to choose our starter.

We have the three Sinnoh starters to pick from. Who do we choose?
>>
>>24628662
chimchar named HE
>>
>>24628536
This thread reeks of shill, but it's a romhack so I don't really care.
Whatever floats your boat mr.ice.
>>
>>24628702
I've used this trip before. If being interested in a game in a positive way is shilling then I'm also Koolboyman, Miksy91, and a bunch of other hackers.

>>24628679
Heats Flameschimp is it.

Now we have to name our rival, would've asked with the last post if I knew it was so soon.
>>
>>24628702
you used "shill" wrong
>>
>>24628712
Name it Fuggot.
>>
File: it's 2015 people.png (76 KB, 240x1626) Image search: [Google]
it's 2015 people.png
76 KB, 240x1626
>>24628719
Done.

If you notice, you can see Chimchar's IVs on the status screen.

We head left toward Archen Town—"Famous for archeological digs!"—without note, and the professor gives Fuggot and us a care package. It has a Pokédex, Town Map, Redwood Card (no clue what it does), five Pokéballs, and five Potions. Redwood is a lot more generous than Oak, though his starters aren't as cool.

We're told to head to Archen Tunnel, and our rival decides to battle us there with his Piplup. Since we just travelled through a route collecting experience we obviously won.

This hack honestly gives a good first impression. The towns are cozy, there's some neat scripting, one thing that's pretty jarring is the way it switches back and forth between RSE and FRLG music, since they're really composed differently and it's obvious they're from different games.
>>
File: lanky kong joke.png (40 KB, 240x960) Image search: [Google]
lanky kong joke.png
40 KB, 240x960
>>24628793
Archen Tunnel is a cave at risk of collapsing filled with Whismur. Not the most original but it's larger and has more variety. Caught a Whismur, Zubat, Woobat, Spinarak, Drilbur, Scraggy, Makuhita, Geodude, Roggenrola, Dwebble, like slow the fuck down, ease into this, I haven't even gone back to catch shit in the first route yet.

There was an ominous room, I think meant to be a hidden grotto, where we also caught a Clefairy. This hack has the Gen 6 "gain exp from catching a Pokémon" effect which means Chimchar is grossly overleveled at this point. If there's anything above I should put on my team let me know, I like to keep my Pokémon at a similar pace with the game (unless it's a shitty hack with 800+ BST Fakemon, but this hack doesn't have those to my knowledge).

The tunnel itself had some trainers and a ton of items, but nothing plot-important besides a tremor here and there. We also saved some kid's Weedle and got a Soothe Bell for it.

At the end of the tunnel we meet up with the Prof. and Fuggot, who couldn't find anything plot-important either. The Prof. heard rumors of a secret tunnel and instructed us to gather information on it in Seros Village—"The Rural Heart of Orbtus!" The region is named Orbtus by the way.

This village is super compact and even has Azalea Town music, this hack really appeals to my comfy fetish.

Oh, and HE evolved.
>>
File: pussy gym.png (55 KB, 240x1295) Image search: [Google]
pussy gym.png
55 KB, 240x1295
>>24628872
Seros Village has a Day-Care and Fuggot is from there. I went to the Gym and I am really fucking overleveled. It's a Fairy-type Gym with a Lost Woods theme to it, and the Gym Leader is Fernando, the grandson of the Day-Care Couple.

Fernando uses a Togepi, Ralts, Clefairy, and Jigglypuff, the highest of which is level 12, and HE was at level 17 by the end of the fight. Tore through everything like tissue paper.

After the fight Fernando pulls a Whitney and runs off, because he's a little puss who uses Fairy-types. His grandfather asks us to go after him because he ran into the woods and dropped all his Pokéballs.

Before I go there, I decided to go back to that first route and catch everything there so I have more options for my team. Caught a Bidoof, Zigzagoon, Bunnelby (with an awkward sprite), Tailow, and Hoppip. Again, if you want to see any of these on my team let me know.
>>
>>24628935
Did they actually add a fairy type to the game?
>>
>>24628935
Seros Path haul: Flabébé (the game has all its colors, not just one), Shellos (west forme, game has both), Mareep, Ralts, Nidoran Male and Female

Wisp Path haul: Shuppet, Pumpkaboo (it has different sizes but they all have the same sprite so I don't know which is which), Duskull, Burmy (f), Phantump, Budew, Gastly

Just posting those first to be more visible.

We pass through some flowers (that have exclusively Flabébé, nice touch) and enter Wisp Forest, a haunted woods filled with Ghost-types. Most of the trainers there are kids running through scared. Not far in we find Fernando shitting himself and we take his bitch-ass home and get his badge, and Cut. Fernando also gives us the TM for Charming Cry (Disarming Voice is too many characters).

I'm not entirely sure where to look next for the hidden entrance so I'll sleep for a bit, it's 5AM. On a serious note I really do need to start using more Pokémon, I'm double the level of nearby trainers, there's plenty to choose from.

>>24628970
Yeah, and it has all its properties from the official games.
>>
>>24628987
Wow, that's a heck of a lot of variety in wild Pokemon.
Is this a RSE or FR/LG hack? If the former, you should probably grab one of your normal type derps for the team if they have Pickup. Other than that, I'd probably bring along the pokemon that were added in the hack, to see how well the hackmaker did with them.
>>
Back.

>>24629002
Well Burmy changes forme depending on location so I should definitely bring it along.

I started leveling it while running around figuring out what to do and the game crashed after I gained a level. Testing around the game does that consistently and does so no matter Burmy's current forme, so I assume there's a link. I'll have to see if the author knows about this and/or patched it.
>>
File: probably unown glyphs.png (36 KB, 240x640) Image search: [Google]
probably unown glyphs.png
36 KB, 240x640
>>24630507
The patch was updated fixing this and some other things, so we're good.

Went back to the first town to complete some sidequests from >>24628662. Got a Dusk Stone and Good Rod from the Shuppet guy and fisherman, and the Premier Ball lady will swap your Pokémon's ball with a Premier Ball if you ask.

Found the hidden path and I feel like a dumbass, it was just a couple feet northwest of the Gym and I just never checked. We found a tablet with a Tangrowth on it, similar to the Relicanth in >>24628793, but with hieroglyphs this time. Redwood knows of a scholar who studies those in a nearby town, so we head across a long route (think of route 12-15 in Kanto but truncated) to Aerous City—"The Solitary Seaside City."

Cerulean City's music sucks in FRLG, I noticed.

Haul: Corphish, Pidgey, Marill, Buneary, Lotad, Magikarp, Shinx, Skiddo, Litleo, Snubbull
>>
File: WAKE UP REGI.png (79 KB, 240x1906) Image search: [Google]
WAKE UP REGI.png
79 KB, 240x1906
>>24630943
The town has an art club filled with trainer using gimmick Smeargles (one with multihit moves, one with priority moves, etc., one uses sneaky pebbles and phasing moves), and the head of the art club has a full team of them. After beating everyone, we're gifted an egg, probably a Smeargle egg Also Spherical Ice I caught that Showderp reference you faggot.

There's a Name Rater (in case anyone wanted to retroactively name anything) and a port that I can't enter, as well as a museum.

The museum has been invaded by mysterious thugs that call themselves the New Elders. They have Neo Plasma sprites and Team Magma/Aqua battle music, and all of them had Normal- and Flying-type Pokémon, except one with an Omanyte. At the end of the museum an admin was trying to convince the scholar we were looking for to join them, but he refused to budge so they left without a fight.

Head back to the Tangrowth site and we find out the statue has something to do with a prophecy about the Earth waking up, mentioning a temple at the top of a mountain. We're given Rock Smash by the Professor and told to head there, but I'm going to go to some side paths that should open up with this first.
>>
File: no johns.png (56 KB, 240x1310) Image search: [Google]
no johns.png
56 KB, 240x1310
>>24631131
So there wasn't much of note in those side paths besides items, Pokémon, and occasionally trainers, BUT, I did find something interesting.

This hack has Inverse Battles. Just one guy so far but they function just like in XY.

The egg contained Eevee, I've used fifty-thousand Eevees so I'm nonplussed.

Mt. Ignus is huge, but there's fortunately a town in the middle with a Gym. Burmy is ready to evolve but I need to battle in a building first so I can make it a Steel-type. It sucks that you can't just use a Rare Candy to change forme, I already used all the indoor battles so far.

Before I can get to this town's Gym (where hopefully I can evolve Burmy), I get interrupted by Fuggot who battles us. His team is larger than ours, with Makuhita, Ralts, Luxio, and Prinplup, the highest is Lv. 20. Upon beating hi he gets angry but tries to act cool and johns that his Exp. Share is too weak and throws it away. I swear I saw this exact rival in Pokémon Brown.

Haul: Starly, Aron, Joltik, Paras, Natu, Swablu, Spearow, Fletchling, Timburr, Munna, Phanpy.
>>
>>24631396
I also just noticed my trainer's sprite changed. I'm not sure if it was swapped with the bugfix patch or if it changes throughout the game but it's different than in >>24628542
>>
>>24631411
Burmy won't evolve. It refuses to evolve when I'm in trash form. If I switch back to grass form it'll evolve but it won't do it in trash form. I'm confused.
>>
File: comparison.png (3 KB, 161x110) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
3 KB, 161x110
>>24631411
The picture in the intro to the game is different to the one on the trainer card. It's the same in FRLG as you can see in pic related. (Left is trainer card, right is intro)
>>
>>24628970
Fairy type is actually piss easy to do. It's adding the moves where things get odd.
>>
File: aria looks a bit out of it.png (34 KB, 240x800) Image search: [Google]
aria looks a bit out of it.png
34 KB, 240x800
>>24631448
Tried to wait a while to see if I'd get an immediate response from the author, I didn't so I assume he wants to fix whatever's wrong before replying (that seems to be the norm looking at the Gaia thread on Pokécommunity). In the meantime I'll just box Burmy and use Flabébé, who keeps her flower color upon evolving.

Nestpine Town—"The Mountainside Nest on Mt. Ignis"—has a Flying-type Gym without any gimmicks, a move deleter, and not much else besides some fluff (like in an earlier town a guy was pining for his long-distance girlfriend, the girlfriend lives in this town, like the Dewford-Fortree couple. A lot of this game seems to be Frankenstein-ing different locations and characters from the games, but nothing's ever a complete copypaste so it's not a big deal) so there's not much to talk about.

The leader of said Gym, Aria, uses a Vullaby, Fletchindr (the only proper truncation of the name), Pidgeotto, and Chatot, the highest of which is Lv. 21. We win and get the Plume Badge. An NPC mentioned some shady people gathering at an icy cave to the south so I assume that's our next stop. Didn't get much done, just wanted to get playing again.
>>
>>24633784
The Floette backsprite doesn't look too bad, actually. It kinda looks like it's supposed to, like it fits in this gen.
Makes for a good changeup from shitty Pokemon insertions like in Victory Fire.
>>
>>24633784
Frostbite Cave is full of New Elders, as expected.

Endure does some wonky shit in this hack and I don't know why. I remember a while ago a Shinx used endure when it was in the red and when I hit it, it healed back into the yellow. In this cave I attacked a Swinub who used Endure on turn 1 and it didn't take any damage at all (and it took more than one hit afterward so it definitely had more than 1HP).

After a few ice puzzles and a few grunts, we find admin Eunice, the same admin from Aerous, exiting and capturing Regice. Since we've been spotted we get attacked, and Eunice has the first custom music in the game, which I found an online recording of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzW61cmYiLw

It's not bad at all, very formal-sounding. With a team of Omanyte/Noctowl/Cryogonal/Amaura, the highest at Lv. 27 and immediately after another fight, she put up an actual challenge (except Amaura, nothing can save that Pokémon).

Upon beating her she leaves and we can get to Windmist City—"An Icy Pocket in the Mountain"—which also has custom music. Doesn't feel that much like Pokémon music in my opinion but it's comfy at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tpQBtXg74

Haul: Spheal, Swinub, Snorunt, Vanillite
>>
>>24634224
Hmm. The Windmist city music is rather nice, I like it. Not quite the same style as normal pokemon music, though.
>>
>>24634224
Snorunt...?
>>
>>24634275
Snorunt...(F)?
>>
>>24634278
It is. I'm up for using it, though it means I'd have two Pokémon that need stones to evolve.
>>
>>24634293
C-Can you use a Nidoran...(F), please?
>>
>>24634300
Sure, though it's pretty weak so I'll have to stick it in the Daycare for a bit to catch up. I'll level up Snorunt in the meantime.
>>
>>24634316
Ohhhhh now I get the New Elders theme. When they aren't using fossils or Natu (since the beginning of the game associated Xatu with some totem poles that apparently have significance) they're using Pokémon that evolve with Ancientpower.

The Gym uses Fire-types and I don't really have anything to combat Fire-types so I decided to head north instead. The route (which uses a weak version of Route 38's theme from GSC, I still haven't played FRLG in full but I assume it's Sevii Island music, it's weaker than the RSE cover of the song) has a blocked off side path apparently guarded by a monster the townspeople are afraid of, but we can get to Apex Temple just fine.

Fuggot gets there at the same time as us and heals us, only for us to find the place swarming with New Elders. Fight our way through, Fuggot gets caught between some grunts and tells me to move on, and there's this cool-ass entrance to the temple up top.

What happens there is uneventful. Fight a few more grunts, see the leader, then they all escape and leave. The temple itself has Omanyte and Kabuto drawings and the same old language that we've seen before, and Fuggot found a book that hints at them going to an island within the region, so we need to head to a port and sail to the island.

Nidoran-F is good to go to be put on the team now. We even got a Moon Stone from Pickup for when we need to evolve it.

Haul: Meinfoo, Herdier, Cubchoo, Pidgeotto, Snover, Golett
>>
File: mega evolution time.png (25 KB, 240x684) Image search: [Google]
mega evolution time.png
25 KB, 240x684
>>24634708
Head back to the seaside town, take the S. S. Wake, and we end up in Sabulo Island—"The Stony Shore of Orbtus." Nidoran evolved along the way (I found the Name Rater a long time ago if anyone wants to add nicknames, only HE has one).

You guys ready for some shit?
>>
>>24634731
Nidorina: Big Girl 4u
Floette: Slap It

Idk who are the other members of your team.
>>
Add Phanphy and Snubbull to team plz
>>
>>24634763
Both of those would be a bit redundant since we have Floette and Nidorina.

>>24634757
As soon as I head back to mainland it's done. Rest of my team is a Monferno (named HE), Snorunt, and Burmy (but Burmy is boxed due to a bug not letting it evolve, it'll be a Wormadam-Trash if it's fixed).

>>24634731
The Tower is huge, like eight stories high, and filled with tough trainers using Pokémon of just about every type. To be frank I think it does a better job at conveying how strong and demanding of respect Megaevolution is than Lucario Tower in XY, where you climb some stairs around a Lucario statue and are then forced to use a Lucario against another Lucario. Maybe I just dislike Lucario despite using it willingly multiple times.

Look at this Sigilyph, it's so funny-looking.

At the top of the tower is Successor Belle, who tells us we'll be gifted Megaevolution if we can defeat her.

She has a full party. Get hype.
>>
File: HYPE.png (42 KB, 240x1151) Image search: [Google]
HYPE.png
42 KB, 240x1151
>>24634882
Forgot pic.
>>
>>24634886
The only thing I don't like about this hack is that the important characters look too generic.
>>
File: HERE IT COMES.png (31 KB, 240x800) Image search: [Google]
HERE IT COMES.png
31 KB, 240x800
>>24634898
Glad I'm not the only one.

>>24634882
>>24634886
So her gimmick is pretty obvious, her whole team is Pokémon that can Megaevolve. Furbait, Heracross, Sableye, Mawile, Manectric. And then
>>
File: WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA.png (30 KB, 240x800) Image search: [Google]
WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
30 KB, 240x800
>>24634930
>>
>>24634935
MY SIS.

10/10 WOULD CRY OF JOY AGAIN.
>>
>>24634935
So yeah we beat her and got a Mega Ring. Don't have any Mega Stones yet, though. Gonna call it a night here.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.