[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It could be that whenever I play the Game Boy Pokemon games I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
File: 1.png (222 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1.png
222 KB, 500x377
It could be that whenever I play the Game Boy Pokemon games I heavily associate them with the wonder and hype of Pokemania, but there really is some magic in the early installments.

What is it about the later gens makes them feel less charming? Is it that they've redone the same formula too many times?

Not a GenWar thread, seriously, I actually like playing all the games, but there's really something about the GB era.
>>
this isn't pokemon board, this is nintendo direct soon board
>>
Game Freak's staff of 20 put more effort into the games than they do now with about 80 people.
>>
Genwun and gentoo had simple, comfy graphics that allowed you to imprint your own ideas on them. Modern gens are just realistic and just crappy enough visually to make you lose immersion.
>>
>>24625275
>Modern gens are just realistic and just crappy enough visually to make you lose immersion.

Yup. I agree with this.
>>
>>24624836
It's just nostalgia.
8-bit and 16-bit games also have a certain special vibe to them that make them feel different than more advanced game, all in regards to graphics and sound. Not just for Pokemon.
>>
>>24625379
>It's just nostalgia.
It's not though. I was old enough when those games came out to not have childhood memories associated with them. I don't look back fondly or try to recreate feelings I used to have or anything like that. They're just good games. As you said, they have a "certain special vibe to them" that set them apart in a good way.
>>
>>24625436
Yeah, I don't have nostalgia either for the first two gens. I was old enough, I just didnt get into Pokemon until I was like 10 with LeafGreen during Gen 3. I get the same vibes you mentioned, like I said, because of how 8/16-bit game graphics and music are.

Though, those with nostalgia will probably get this feeling too.
>>
Its a multiplayer turn based rpg. Which is rare as hell. It will always have the same exact charm to me. Which is, simply, the games will always be technical as fuck.
>>
>>24625436
It is, though. You long for simpler times and associate RBYGSC with them.
>>
>>24625599
>You long for simpler times and associate RBYGSC with them.

Uh, what? How does anything I said equate to "longing for simpler times"? Projecting much?
>>
>>24625275
Gen1 and 2's overworld was comfy as fuck. Is there no way of making a similar visual style on a more modern system?
>>
>>24624836
Gen 1 was magical because anything could happen. All video games had crazy rumours flying about, but then Nintendo went and confirmed Mew was real. And there was the crazy shit with Missingo and M. People could claim that something had happened in their game in the playground or online and everyone believed it.

These days the games are better coded so as to stop as fun glitches from happening and people know not to trust things posted anonymously online. If it's not Serebii confirmed, it's not true
>>
>>24625750
I don't know if you're projecting, but I do know that your obsession with the two objectively worst games in the franchise can be chalked firmly up to nostalgia.
>>
>>24625836
>implying I'm obsessed with them

Again, I never said anything that would imply I'm obsessed with them or that I long for simpler times. But then again, why am I trying to reason with the anti-gen1 defense force?
>>
>>24625379
Nah, 1st pokemon game i played was diamond and then blue/ yellow. The old ones hve such a charm to them and deniately feel like more wellvrounded games. Both left stuff to the imagination though
>>
stop describing everything as comfy holy shit
youre all retarded
>>
GF's habit of gimping and removing features since RS made me sour. When I play the GB games, I know they put 100% of their effort on them, hell it was even supposed to be the series end.

Then comes RS without even all pokemon and other region because they had to sell those FRLG copies. DP without Frontier because they already planned on how to sell Platinum. Etc etc.

Knowing this takes the enjoyment away from the games. I already know that ORAS will be useless when Z releases, while I kept playing my Silver copy until the end in competitions. The advantage of new versions used to be minimal, now they just outright won't let you play between them. On a series about connectivity, this is ridiculous.

Tl;dr: GB games only grew, the RS-current ones alternate between growing and shrinking.
>>
>>24625275
This. They also try to force "futuristic" shit with the centers and marts while the first two gens had pretty simple aesthetics for them.
>>
>>24626142
>Then comes RS without even all pokemon and other region because they had to sell those FRLG copies.
No. GBA games can't link with GB and GBC games because the GBA link cables have an additional pin in the connector that renders them incompatible both hardware and software-wise.
>>
>>24626156
>responding to bait
>>
They were made by a few guys trying their hardest to make a fictional world a reality.

After they got successful, it became about trying to maintain this huge empire they never thought would happen.
>>
>>24626170
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver_Versions#Trivia
>Tsunekazu Ishihara, the current CEO of The Pokémon Company (at the time, the games' producer), originally thought that these games would be Game Freak's last Pokémon project and thus the company invested in the Trading Card Game and licensed various merchandise as means to assure the success of Gold and Silver as "the ultimate Pokémon titles".[11]
>>
File: $_1.jpg (13 KB, 400x241) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
13 KB, 400x241
>>24626156
>No. GBA games can't link with GB and GBC games because the GBA link cables have an additional pin in the connector that renders them incompatible both hardware and software-wise.

If the hardware isn't compatible, then why can I link my GBC with my GBA to trade between Blue and Yellow?

I literally just did this recently with pic related.
>>
>>24626180
Because the GBA accepts GBC-era link cables.
>>
>>24626182
Then the hardware is compatible. All it takes is programming to make the software compatible.
>>
>>24626189
No, you're missing the point. Nintendo designed the GBA's link port to allow GBC link cables but they are only compatible with GB or GBC games. The GBA link cable uses the actual GBA link port and is only compatible with GBA games.
>>
>>24626220
If the cable can connect to the system and the games the system runs (GBC games), then the restriction isn't in the hardware. Or at most, it's a self-imposed restriction done on purpose.
>>
It's probably all the bugs and the fact that there's a lot that was undiscovered or harder to be discovered due to the lack of proper internet at the time. If you didn't have a guidebook or something then there's infinite mysteries you don't know about. now you can just look up what sort of post-game and secrets there are.

With that said though, I don't agree really that the later gens aren't "charming"
>>
>>24626220
They overhauled the entire engine. There would be no way to trade a Pikachu from gen 3 to gen 2, then trade back from 2 to 3 and end with the same exact Pokemon.

Pokemon just contain more data. It's not a two-way street.
>>
>>24626231
>If the cable can connect to the system and the games the system runs (GBC games), then the restriction isn't in the hardware.
You're still not understanding me. The GBA link socket is the GBC link port and the GBA link port in one. So when you use a GBC link cable, it uses the GBC link port and works as if you were linking with a GBC (with all the restrictions of the GBC link protocol); when you use a GBA link cable, it uses the GBA link port.

Does this make sense to you?
>>
>>24626261
Allow me to prove this further this by quoting the European GBA manual:
>The Game Boy Advance Game Link cable (AGB-005) can only be used with Game Paks designed for Game Boy Advance when playing a Multi-Player game on the Game Boy Advance hardware.
>>
>>24626261
Yes. And all that means is that Nintendo went out of its way to remove link compatibility for their biggest handheld seller. There's literally no reason why it couldn't have been done.
>>
>>24626283
They did the right thing. Otherwise there would be more incompatibilities and more bugs.
>>
File: crystal.png (154 KB, 1120x728) Image search: [Google]
crystal.png
154 KB, 1120x728
>>24624836
>>24625275

There was actually a really good article on this very topic on Bulbapedo a few years back.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bulbagraphic:Is_Pok%C3%A9mon_Best_left_to_our_Imaginations%3F

He hypothesizes that the appeal for gens I and II, unlike their successors, will continue to grow the more aged they become. This is precisely because the shitty graphics allow us to imprint out own view of the pokemon world upon them. When I looked at the shitty, pixelated sprites of a Nidoking or a Rhydon in Blue version, I pictured a badass monster within the framework of what the sprite showed me. Now all these years later, the amount of detail I see in the gen IV/V sprites (not to mention the 3D models in gen 6) make that increasingly difficult.
>>
>>24626464
The older games even let you print stuff too!
>>
>>24626464
>When I looked at the shitty, pixelated sprites of a Nidoking or a Rhydon in Blue version, I pictured a badass monster within the framework of what the sprite showed me.

Yup. Sprites in the older games were basically a crude representation of what you were supposed to imagine in your mind.

Maybe if Pokemon had gone on to have a grittier graphical style and kept the "mean" look of most of the creatures, we'd have been better off.
>>
>>24626156
And what stopped them from making the pokemon catchable in Hoenn?

Or you're gonna tell me that most Kanto and Johto pokemon being unavaliable is just an accident?

>>24626166
Stay salty Hoennbaby. RS were the games that began the retarded trend of cutting features to sell more versions later.
>>
>>24626665
>And what stopped them from making the pokemon catchable in Hoenn?
Why were you expecting this from games that were completely new? Red and Green are Pocket Monsters, Gold and Silver are Pocket Monsters 2 and direct sequels. Ruby and Sapphire are Pocket Monsters 3 but they're not prequels or sequels to any of the previous games.
>>
your perception might be nostalgia, but there are objective, fundamental changes in design philosophy starting with Gen 3, and the degree to which this shift is reflected in the games increases with each instalment.
>>
>>24626689
>your perception might be nostalgia, but there are objective, fundamental changes in design philosophy starting with Gen 3, and the degree to which this shift is reflected in the games increases with each instalment.

This is a good post.
>>
>>24626676
That's dishonest. RB, GS and RS are all new entries and worlds in their own respect and you know it. BW2 are the only sequels so far.

And that would nevertheless be a completely arbitrary non-reason to exclude pokemon.
>>
>>24624836
I think its nostalgia. I feel the same way about Sinnoh because they were my first games so everything in the game is still associated with the feeling of mystery.
>>
File: HGSS_Dukatia_City.png (305 KB, 1330x885) Image search: [Google]
HGSS_Dukatia_City.png
305 KB, 1330x885
>>24625275
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the OP as well.

I'm really into architecture and with the exception of some of Kalos and the traditional towns in Johot, I've been cringing at the wonky buildings that have plagued Pokémon from Gen 3 onward.

In Gen 1 and 2, the houses were really simple. You figured that they wouldn't actually look like that “in real life”—that they were just a simple representation of a building, just like how the towns were too small for what they were purported to be.

In Gen 3, the graphics became much more concrete. I was already wondering what was up with many of Hoenn's buildings, but at least the locations were nice overall. The landscape was varied and complex and the towns were cosy, so I didn't mind that much.
However, I really disliked how Kanto looked in FR/LG when it came out. All those towns from my childhood were more more spelled out now—and while in hindsight FR/LG looked really good, I didn't really recognise Kanto as that land I had wandered years ago. (When I found the first volume of Adventures in a store a few years afterwards, I was immediately captured by how it evoked the feeling of playing Blue much better than the newer games.)

It only got worse from there, with shit like pic related or that awful town in Sinnoh with the solar panel walkways all over the city.
>>
>>24626710
>RB, GS and RS are all new entries and worlds in their own respect and you know it. BW2 are the only sequels so far.
No.
>>
>>24625275
I don't feel that's true at all. The real reason is because you still had your feeling of wonder when you were a child playing through these 2 generations.
>>
>>24626724
Stay in denial then.
>>
>>24626747
What part of Gold and Silver being announced as direct sequels to Red and Green are you unable to grasp? Yes, they dropped the number "2" after some time during development, so what?
>>
>>24626676
>Why were you expecting this from games that were completely new?
Because catching 'em all is the fucking point of the series.

Stop being retarded bro, everyone expected it.
>>
>>24626730
I haven't quite lost that feeling, but it's harder to project when everything is spelled out for you.
Gen 1 (and Gen 2 too I guess) were more mysterious. The NPC sprites all looked weird as hell and you could interpret them as all sorts of people, that's just not possible any more. Then there's the architecture and cities, see >>24626722

What also contributed was that there were less Pokémon, but each of them was tied to an environment. People get mad when there's a small selection of catchable Pokémon nowadays, but I felt that the variety of X/Y (for example) was to the detriment of the experience.
When you're being spammed with Zubats and Geodudes, it might be annoying, but you also associate those Pokémon with those locations—it's their natural habitat, they're part of the ecosystem. You're imagining walking through that area and picturing what it's like.
When you're encountering a dozen different species on a short route and only a few of them look like they'd live there, that's just kind of sensory overload.

Also:
>no new Pokédex entries for old Pokémon ever again
>>
>>24626144
The first Gen had a ton of futuristic shit. The Pokédex is a high-tech encyclopedia, there are manmade Pokémon like Porygon and arguably Voltorb, a giant HQ and power plant (which Hoenn and Kalos also have, two other regions with a focus on technology), science people/places like Mr. Fuji and the Cinnabar Mansion (similar to the weather institute and all the Team Flare higher-ups).
>>
>>24626758
First of all, "Gotta catch 'em all!" was the slogan outside Japan. Secondly, it never said that the games had to allow you to catch every Pokémon in-game.

>Stop being retarded bro, everyone expected it.
Is this sarcasm?
>>
>52 posters
>20 posts
I really am very glad that this backwards way of thinking is really very small. Most of you can fuck off right back to reddit.
>>
>>24624836
>but there really is some magic in the early installments.
Fuck no, the first games were a complete mess from a technical point of view even for the time. You were just a little kid that didn't care about the technical aspects.
>>
>>24626768
>was the slogan outside Japan
(pokemon getto daze-!)

tatoe hi no naka mizu no naka kusa no naka mori no naka
tsuchi no naka kumo no naka ano ko no sukaato no naka (kya~!)

nakanaka nakanaka
nakanaka nakanaka taihen dakedo
kanarazu GET daze!
pokemon GET daze!

masara taun ni sayonara bai bai
ore wa koitsu to tabi ni deru (pikachuu!)
kitaeta waza te kachimakuri
nakama o fuyashite tsugi no machi e

itsumo itsudemo umaku yuku nante
hoshou wa doko nimo nai kedo (sorya sou ja!)
itsudemo itsumo honki de ikiteru
koitsutachi ga iru

tatoe hi no naka mizu no naka kusa no naka mori no naka
tsuchi no naka kumo no naka ano ko no sukaato no naka (shitsuko~i!)

nakanaka nakanaka
nakanaka nakanaka taihen dakedo
kanarazu GET daze!
pokemon GET daze!

Looking forward more retarded excuses like "it's anime it doesn't counts!"

>Is this sarcasm?
You're going full retard now.
>>
>>24626834
"Pokémon GET da ze!" = "Gotta get (catch) Pokémon!"

Sure, it's basically the same but it doesn't emphasize the "all" part.
>>
>>24626093
Fuck off with your edgy bullshit. Oh my nards, I can't take this arbitrary contrariness anymore.
>>
>>24626834
Not him but you do realise that doesn't say anything about catching them all right?
>>
>>24626834
Not him, but
>thinking "Everyone, get Pokémon!" = "Gotta catch 'em all!"
>>
>>24626846
>edgy
>being able to give real reasons is edgy
>>
>>24624836
I miss the font of RBY and GSC
Was so...gamey.
>>
>>24626860
It was too large in comparison to the Japanese font.
>>
>>24626860
>Was so...gamey.
What does this even mean?
>>
>>24626873
It was a font that was very pixellated and cohesively fit into 8bit/16bit graphics.

So, having an affection for 8bit and 16bit graphics, that's why the font, which is evocative of those graphics, is awesome in my opinion.
>>
File: font.png (9 KB, 512x224) Image search: [Google]
font.png
9 KB, 512x224
>>24626860
>>24626873
>>
>>24626880
>It was a font that was very pixellated and cohesively fit into 8bit/16bit graphics.
You're not being serious here are you?
Or was your only experience of that era the Gameboy?

Such a font was only really common on early NES and GB games. A lot had stylized fonts more often than not unique to the game it was on.
So no, there is no font that "fit" with video games.
>>
>>24626913
>tfw the fat guy always said "the power of science is staggering!" in Japanese
>>
So thats why when I see enemy Blastoise, Charizard and Venusaurs gen III and Gen I sprites they seem more formidable then the Gen IV sprites for example?
>>
>>24626828
>Little kid

I was 12 and into computers. I understood the glitches in the game. How is it that every time we discuss Gen 1, some jackass has too assume people who like it only do so out of childhood nostalgia?

As we've discussed ITT, the games were different in some very positive ways.
>>
>>24624836
nostalgia goggles plus >>24625275
>>
>>24626828
The glitches were part of the charm. At ten years old you couldn't understand how any of them worked, and no-one had really worked out the coding yet to know how they worked, the fact that Mew existed meant that obviously these were all also secrets that Nintendo had hidden in there waiting for you to find
>>
>>24626663
Now that I think of it, that's exactly the reason behing the massive amounts of fanart for the game.

But I think there's another reason behind. You aren't a snowflake "chosen one" like in future generations. You just are a child who wants to explore the world with its trusty magical companions. No "I want to become a god" bullshit there. No divinities there: Mew and Celebi were just mysterious as hell. It was more of a sci-fi setting than a mythological one. Just think in Mewtwo and Porygon.

It's basically the same thing why some people love Earthbound.
>>
>>24625275
Would you guys be up for something like the new DQ where the top screen is modern cel-shaded graphics, but the bottom screen is "retro" inspired?

I'd cream myself over that. Would make sense for 20th anniversary as well.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.