[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fucking Top Notch Designs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10
File: gen1mark.png (669 KB, 863x585) Image search: [Google]
gen1mark.png
669 KB, 863x585
To help stem gen warfare on /vp/, I shall be posting Fucking Top Notch and Not So Hot designs by generation, proving that each gen has tons of great shit, and all should be appreciated.

Rules:
-Fully evolved designs are the only ones judged, though they MAY be judged in relation to their prevos. Example: Poliwrath, which is a pretty okay design as a standalone, but a fucking lazy piece of shit when keeping Poliwhirl in mind.
-No legendaries. I don't personally use them them, and I don't particularly care what they look like.

>Notes on Gen 1 decisions:
>I'm a Blastoise guy, but the cannons are fucking stupid for such an organic line. Shoulda kept the watery, fluffy, flowy thing Wartortle had
>Lots of LITERALLY JUST A _____ designs here
>Hitmontop > Hitmonchan because I don't generally like extremely humanoid designs, and the potato body is charming
>I don't care what you say, Exeggutor is the hottest shit

Other gens to come later-- this shit takes a while. So, I don't know precisely how these next gens are gonna play out. Gonna be interesting to see if some are better or worse than I remember.
>>
>>24607787
>exeggutor
>top notch
Dude, it's just a palm tree with faces on the coconuts.
>>
I prefer War and Charmeleon as-well.
But I think the less complex a design, the more it's likable.

I can't see how you dislike any of gen 1's designs though. And my first gen was gen 2.
>>
File: gen2mark.png (475 KB, 863x585) Image search: [Google]
gen2mark.png
475 KB, 863x585
>Notes on Gen 2 decisions:
>Tons of one-mon lines. Very mixed bag, those.
>Heracross is best.
>Fuckloads of bad-but-cool mons (Ledian, Xatu, Sudowoodo)
>Designs increasing in complexity, but still pleasingly simple. Probably the best balance in gens on the scale between "boring shit" and "overdesigned trash."

>>24607818
He's cool. Dopey, squat, psychic palm tree. That's creative and fun. I like him.
>>24607836
I think there's a difference between simple and boring. Primeape is simple. Sandslash is simple. Snorlax is simple. Raticate, Persian, and Seaking are fucking boring and have nothing that particularly stand out about them.
>>
>>24607859
Yeah nah, Unown is amazing
>>
File: 1335030914192.jpg (20 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
1335030914192.jpg
20 KB, 310x310
>>24607865
>liking literally my mom's alphabet soup
>>
>>24607859
>Not liking Misdreavus
>>
>>24607859
>all these red
disgusting
>>
>>24607787
>hating fearow
>hating lickitung
>hating seaking
hell half of these seem to only get points from you for being nostalgia
>>
>>24607874
Still working on Gen 3, but I'd be happy to defend any of my choices on great designs if you find some of them questionable. I assure you, I have more nostalgia for Gens 2 and 3 than I do Gen 1.

Mind, I barely hate ANY Pokemon designs. I find several a little displeasing, but that doesn't mean I hate them. Similarly, not finding them to be amazing doesn't mean I don't like them.
>>
>>24607787
>badass cannons are bad because Wartortle was fluffy
>but the fat frog that ruined based Ivysaur is good
meh
>>
File: gen3mark.png (569 KB, 830x585) Image search: [Google]
gen3mark.png
569 KB, 830x585
>Notes on Gen 3 designs:
>Shit gets COLORFUL in this gen. Fitting for a vibrant tropical region. Complexity in design amps up as well, lots of pointless add-ons to some designs.
>My favorite starter line-up. Not one weak point among this bunch. Sceptile's tail is big because it's reminiscent of a velociraptor.
>Lots of Gen 1 reprises that either improve on the original or miss the mark another hit. See: Seviper, the cool Arbok. Walrein, the cool Dewgong. Also see: Dustox, the ugly Venomoth. Minun and Plusle, the unnecessary Pikachus.
>Shedinja is perhaps the coolest Pokemon concept, executed very well on top of it
>Cacturne may be the most underrated design ever
>I stand neutral on Gardevoir

>>24607868
Misdreavus itself is solidly decent, but not spectacular. Mismagius, though.
>>24607893
The 'Saur line was always dumpy, friend. And I'd say he looks more toad-ish.
>>
>>24607900
>Not marking Milotic as the worst Pokemon
opinion discarded
>>
>>24607905
Nothing seems wrong with Milotic to me. I was actually debating putting her under FTN. Why do you dislike Milotic?
>>
>>24607787
>Liking Pineapple palmtree
>Not best eevolution in green
>Hating based Electrode
OP sucks very hard dicks
>>
>>24607905
>Milotic as the worst Pokemon
it's fine at worst, calm down, retard

>>24607909
>praises Electrode
>doesn't like Exeggutor
nevermind, retard's over here
>>
>Notes on Gen 4 designs:
>Way back when, Gen 4 was the gen to shit on, largely because of the TINY fraction of newly introduced lines compared to the cross-gen evolutions choking the ranks. These criticisms have some merit, because the cross-evos are some of the best things in this gen. Some more good original lines would have been nice.
>Tied with Gen 1 for second-best starter line-up. No hate on Infernape, just not as high-tier as the others.
>Best regional bird
>finally making Porygon appealing
>Cherrim is an adorable little shit and I wish I could have it in its Sunny form forever
>At this point, I would be screaming at GF to stop making moths, as it had, up until here, peaked at Venomoth. Thank fuck they gave it one more try.
>Probopass is a compass/Moai/magnet-with-iron-filing-mustache. That is cool. Stop making kike jokes.
>Leafeon: awful name, great design
>Rotom is the best ghost
>>
File: gen4mark.png (435 KB, 830x585) Image search: [Google]
gen4mark.png
435 KB, 830x585
>>24607931
full retard
>>
>>24607934
wheres lickylicky? aah forget it, you hated lickitung so why even bother
>>
>>24607939
Even fuller retard. Yep, missed him, good eye. That would be a definite piece of shit, so nudge the FTN% to even 38% and the NSH% to an even 14%.
>>
>>24607918
Electrode it's a mimic.
Its point its to look like a pokeball to fuck you up
>>
>>24607934
>nose thing
>good

>Garchomp, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Lucario, Hippowdon, Togekiss, Weavile, Gallade, Rampardos
>shit
what the fuck am I seeing
>>
>>24607948
OP here. Please read the first rule. Electrode or Voltorb might be acceptable on their own. But as a digression from Voltorb, Electrode is complete shit.
>>
>>24607948
Yeah. I get it. And it looks like fucking shit.

having a concept =/= automatically good
>>
>>24607956
>not outlined in anything
>that means bad
I don't what you're seeing, since you seem to live in some alternate dimension where something not being noted means it is awful. How did you get an internet connection to Earth?
>>
File: 1438403753210.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1438403753210.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>24607957
>Electrode or Voltorb might be acceptable on their own.
>>
>>24607787
>flareon is top notch
>vaporeon is not

I mean....
>>
>>24607964
The idea of a Pokeball mimic-bomb is pretty cool. Usually mimics have teeth or something, so instead making it detonate is creative. It's simple without being boring, and is memorable. But the two together are lazy and ridiculous.
>>
>>24607967
>>24607909
Vaporeon would be acceptable if not for that stupid ruff.
>>
>>24607934
Just a small note, but you switched Carnivine with Tangrowth.
>>
>>24607975
I forgot Tangrowth, too? Jesus fuck, get me to bed. I messed Gen 4 to pieces. It would have just been a neutral anyway, so FTN -> 37.3%, NSH -> 13.7%
>>
>>24607934
>probopass
>not shit

Ok so you were rusing us all along. Also dusknoir is top notch? Lel
>>
>>24607986
Dusknoir redeemed the Duskull line, you chucklefuck. Dusclops was an abomination of an evolution.
>>
>>24607900
What's wrong with masquerain? Sure it's a boring bug/flying but it looks pretty cool with the fake eye thing
>>
>>24607859
>Two of my favorites ever getting the red box

Eat my shorts.
>>
File: gen5mark.png (594 KB, 830x585) Image search: [Google]
gen5mark.png
594 KB, 830x585
>Notes on Gen 5 decisions:
>Getting this out of the way: Gen 5 is my favorite gen. I loved Gen 5. Gen 5 made me love Pokemon again. That said, Gen 5 tried a LOT of new things with its "everything is fresh" style, and some of those new lines fell flat on their fucking faces, largely because of the gaudy and ridiculous designs.
>the WORST starter line, and the only one that has designs I actively dislike
>those fucking monkeys
>worst regional bird
>fuck the red oni and blue oni
>Lucario 2.0, now with more furry
>garbage bag isn't so bad, but that ice cream cone's stupid fucking face is the worst
on the positives...
>Audino is cute! Cute! CUTE!
>the generation of all bugs and no fish- I love bugs and dislike fish. Lots of fucking great bugs.
>a Pokemon based on cells. Fuck yes.
>Chandelure is amazing, and the best based-on-an-inanimate-object Pokemon ever
>best dragon
>THE MOTH TO END ALL MOTHS, PRAISE BE HIS FLUFFY ANTENNAE

>>24608006
I liked the idea of a water strider Pokemon, and Masquerain threw that out. It wasn't just the typing change.
>>24608017
I apologize if you like Yanma, but he was a boring little shit until his kickass mega-evo came along. As for literally any of the others, get taste, retard.
>>
File: Masquerain_concept_art.png (168 KB, 653x476) Image search: [Google]
Masquerain_concept_art.png
168 KB, 653x476
>>24608025
>Masquerain threw that out. It wasn't just the typing change.
ahem
and have in mind this is legit concept art, not stupid fanart
>>
>>24608035
Huh, neat. Hadn't ever considered that to be part of its design. I'd keep it as a poor design, then, since it doesn't convey that in the slightest.
>>
>>24607900
>Sceptile's tail is big because it's reminiscent of a velociraptor.
The tail is absolutely nothing like a raptor's. Sceptile's current tail makes no sense for something that is supposed to be speedy.
>Probopass is a compass/Moai/magnet-with-iron-filing-mustache. That is cool. Stop making kike jokes.
The idea is so-so. But the execution is just downright horrible.
>>
ITT: OPINIONS
>>
File: gen6mark.png (276 KB, 835x375) Image search: [Google]
gen6mark.png
276 KB, 835x375
Notes on Gen 6 decisions:
>VERY few new lines here, but what we got is quite strong
>mediocre starter line-up, but Greninja's tongue scarf is too creative not to enjoy
>banchou panda is great
>the only good cat in the entire fucking series
>somehow a sword + shield Pokemon, a retarded concept, is really well-designed
>FINALLY A FUCKING T-REX
>awesome sound dragon
>fuck pink blobs
>Binacle what the fuck yo
>worst pseudo ever
>why the FUCK is Klefki part Fairy? The whole "animate object that resembles a typical inanimate object" thing was the domain of Ghosts since Gen 3 with Banette. Even in this very fucking gen, you have Aegislash holding to this pattern. What makes Klefki Fairy?
>much like Fairy in the type chart, Sylveon does not make sense in the Eevee line. It does not fit in design-wise, standing out much too hard.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Gens 4 and 6 seemingly have the best designs in all, but 4 is given an unfair advantage with most of its designs being built off already-existing ones. Improvement is easier than creation. And Gen 6 would be FAR worse, had I included Mega-Evolutions, which are largely terrible.

Gens 2 and 3 stand at the front of the pack for good versus bad, while Gen 5 actually has the most good designs, but is extremely polarizing, likely contributing to the hate force and defense force of Gen 5 on this board. Gen 1 has many solid, iconic designs, but is also laden with shitty, lazy, filler 'Mons.
>>
>>24608037
>Masquerain
>poor design
Funny joke
>>
>>24608105
It is meant to be a water strider, as per that concept art. Not a single sprite nor model of it in game conveys that information. A design that does not convey the information it is meant to is, by definition, a poor design.
>>
>>24608112
It is a mixture of things, it is no longer purely a water strider, hence the typing change. It has a unique shape, it isn't too cluttered but not too simple. It also blends well with its environment, you can imagine it flying across ponds and rivers without looking too out of place. Its cute face is contrasted well with its intimidating pattern.
It's just a nicely designed Pokemon.
>>
>>24608112
I agree in the fact that at least some sprites should show it striding.
The typing change hurts me more tho.
>>
>>24608025
>escavalier
Why?
>>
>>24608154
I have high standards for bugs, and he's kind of a goofy-looking jousting beetle (an odd concept in and of itself) with no obvious means of locomotion.
>>
>>24608087
I agree that sylveon is overdesigned but i think that klefki is better as a fairy rather than a ghost. Its whole design is a creature that steals and hoards keys and its mischievous nature aligns just as well with the traditional notion of fairies as it does with ghosts.
>>
>>24607934
>Liking the rock jew.
>>
>>24608087
>Greninja's tongue scarf is too creative not to enjoy
I prefered the bubble scarf desu senpai
>>
>Yanma is bad
>Yanmega is great
what
>>
>>24608218
I liked both, and Frogadier is among the top second-stage starters, along with stuff like Grovyle.

>>24608228
Yanma is boring. Yanmega is a fucking brutal monster dragonfly. My bug standards are high. You can't just slap any old fucking bug in front of me and tell me to like it. GF does good bugs, generally, so I hold its weaker ones in comparatively lower esteem.
>>
>>24608025
>Sawsbuck
Literally my mom's deer.
>>
>>24607787
Blastoise,raichu, golduck, tentacruel, slowbro, electabuzz, porygon.
>not top notch

Okay faggot.
>>
>>24607859
Your taste is a little less shit here, but no slowking, espeon, or ampharos? Come on.
>>
>>24607900
>not one weak point among starters.
Close, but combusken is just a cartoon penis with chicken accesories pasted on.

>no sableye, zangoose, claydol, milotic or dusclops.

Its like youre trying to piss me off.
>>
>>24607934
Pretty good except drifblim and abomasnow are undeniably top notch and youre a faggot cocklicker for not including them. Otherwise fine.
>>
>>24608274
I wasn't considering anything but the final forms, you mong
>>
>>24607931
>best regional bird
>>
>>24608025
My only problem is not adding emolga. For the first time since gen 2 they did a pikaclone right. I love that little fucker. And it aint just you, but i dont get why people dislike samurott. I fucking love its design. Do people really want a bipedal otter with armor always holding two swords?
>inb4 OF COURSE WE DO.
>>
>>24608087
I agree although i do like carbink way better than diancie, its cute.
>>
>>24607787
>to help stem gen warfare on /vp/

you're a cunt
>>
>>24608291
I was happy it was quadrupedal

bipedal again would've been boring
>>
>>24608306
"Stem" means "cut down on," you daft Aussie shitposter.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.