[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else sick of being the special snowflake in the new games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: Red.png (61 KB, 155x333) Image search: [Google]
Red.png
61 KB, 155x333
Anyone else sick of being the special snowflake in the new games? The chosen one or what have you. I miss being just some random kid that got a Pokemon and got good through training.

I don't know how, in 2015, any writer STILL thinks that "the chosen one" is a good idea.
>>
>>24592223
I want to be a random adult, I'm sick of playing as a kid.
>>
>>24592223
You were the "chosen" one since gen I. Ten year old trainer defeating the entire crime sindicate on his own? Think again
>>
>>24592223
Find another game to play instead of complaining
>>
>>24592231
You defeated an entire crime syndicate because you trained your Pokemon. In other words, you got gud you filthy scrub

What I mean by being the chosen one, is that in newer games, legendaries for some reason just give themselves to you.
>>
>>24592223
I'm getting tired of it, too. It wouldn't be a problem if more trainers were allowed to use Megas, but no, you and maybe two other people have to be the super duper special ones.
>>
>>24592246
>You defeated an entire crime syndicate because you trained your Pokemon

Like in any other gane you retard

>in newer games, legendaries for some reason just give themselves to you
BOOHOO one legendary decided to join you after you saved its ass. ENTIRE GAME RUINED!!!!!
>>
>>24592231
I think he means canonically ordained by the powers that be, which red wasn't. He was just that good.

He was, however, "chosen" by Oak to receive a super rare pokemon from the word go. The growth rate of the starters is what carried most players through the game. Blue also got one and he became champion before red.

Sorry, OP we've been playing as poke jesus the whole time
>>
>>24592266
>BOOHOO one legendary decided to join you after you saved its ass. ENTIRE GAME RUINED!!!!!
Literally nobody said that. It's a minor annoyance, I still enjoy the new games.
>>
>>24592258
Player, May/Brendan. Wally, Archie. Maxie, Matt, Courtney, Steven, Aaron, Phoebe, Glacia, Drake, Zinnia, Korrina, Calem/Serena, Diantha, Lysandre

>you and maybe two other people have to be the super duper special ones.
git gud
>>
>>24592266
>one

It happened in BW also. At least you had to fight for that one but now your having legends and super pups with Megastones throwing for no reason than simply being there. With GF being afraid of smartphones now,this is very likely going to get worse
>>
>>24592267
>He was, however, "chosen" by Oak to receive a super rare pokemon from the word go.

Not to mention he received the super rare Pokedex, Lapras, convienient "alone" Eevee, Bike Voucher etc etc
>>
You're not the target audience. Now fuck off.
>>
>>24592277
>With GF being afraid of smartphones now,this is very likely going to get worse

Now Pokemon IS on smartphones so they dont have to be afraid anymore

Spike Chunsoft gets it and after the weak GTI they git gud with SMD
>>
>>24592223
It bugs me that most of the protags don't actually look ten. They all look 15 or something. BW/BW2's protags look about 17.
But yeah, I guess. I just want to be some fuck on an adventure with my Pokemon.
It's fine if the character makes friends along the way, I just wish they didn't automatically love me for no reason.
I don't mind legendaries being friendly towards you, but don't just drop it in my party and force something else out. Let me come back and catch it later so I feel like I earned it or something.
Maybe give a bit more dialogue choices other than yes and no so that I can feel a bit more involved in what's going on.
Man, I don't know. Just something good. That's all.
>>
>>24592267
>I think he means canonically ordained by the powers that be, which red wasn't. He was just that good.
Only one trainer falls under "chosen one" which is the bw protagonist.
The rest just have things forced on them.
>>
>>24592283
Pokemon had smartphone release before they fucked up Gen 6. I'm not convinced that GO will mitigate anythin.g
>>
File: 1421242323361.gif (424 KB, 248x300) Image search: [Google]
1421242323361.gif
424 KB, 248x300
>>24592281
20 years ago I was the target audience.
>>
Was there a "chosen" thing in XY even? I know the legendary DID choose you when you confronted it buy that's about what I can remember.

The only game I can think of where you're flat out a chosen one is B/W
>>
>>24592223
I wish there was a game where GF would finally let me play as a random NPC. I'd have about 5 tiles to walk around on and occasionally lose to special snowflakes or repeat the same lines of text. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll get to give out items!
>>
>>24592296
>It bugs me that most of the protags don't actually look ten.
That's because they were never 10.
Hell the Black and White protags were started to be older.
>>
>>24592296
>ten
Red was 11.
>>
>>24592304
>Was there a "chosen" thing in XY even? I know the legendary DID choose you when you confronted it buy that's about what I can remember.
Nope. Only Black and White had it.
Literally one game and I don't even think you could call it a chosen one story really because it implied anyone with strong truths or ideals could get their power.
>>
>>24592304
The Mega evo arc with Korrina's Lucario having a boner for you

ORAS had Episode Delta
>>
>>24592310
>>24592315
Huh. I remember seeing somewhere that they were all ten one time. And I know the BW protags were like 15 or 16.
>>
>>24592324
Official manual said 11.

Ash is 10. Maybe that's where you're getting that from. Casuals commonly make that mistake tbqh.
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 284x177
who cares, toodlers can be gym leaders
>>
File: 1445154098741.jpg (88 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1445154098741.jpg
88 KB, 700x700
>>24592337
Probably. Never really thought about it. Makes me wonder about all the other protags now. Gonna google it.
>>
>>24592320
>The Mega evo arc with Korrina's Lucario having a boner for you
Not really the same thing because it was either you or your rival. Not really the chosen ONE if it were possible for either to get it.

As for Episode Delta, you just happened to follow and have a meteor with you. Not exactly a chosen one.
>>
File: 1445155243834.jpg (64 KB, 600x511) Image search: [Google]
1445155243834.jpg
64 KB, 600x511
>>24592337
ORAS male protag is 12. Most of these kids don't have a confirmed age it seems.
BW protags apparently start as14, then they're 16 by BW2.
Neat stuff.
>>
>>24592348
May and Brendan are 12 and Hilda (and Hilbert too I think) is 14 in BW, making her 16 in BW2.
>>
>>24592416
I know. I'm >>24592414
But thank you for helping out.
>>
>>24592227
Costumization should be expanded upon so that you not Only choose gender and skincolour in The beginning of the games, but also age and maybe some facial/bodily features.

GF has no good excuse for this. Its really simple. Could be just these
Hair colour
Eyes
Nose
Mouth
Facial features (blush eyebrowes, beard, earrings)
Waist line
Height.
>>
>>24592423
>GF has no good excuse for this. Its really simple.
>simple
>no game has done it right
Let's not.
>>
Official "least-snowflaky" Pokemon Protagonists:

1.Ethan/Lyra/Kris (Gen 2)
2 Red/Leaf (Gen 1)
3. Branden/May (Gen 3)
4. Calem/Selena (Gen 6)
5. Hilbert/Hilda (Gen 5)
6. Lucas/Dawn (Gen 4)

Say what you want about gen 6, but nothing is more egregious than capturing the Pokemon governing space, time and fucking GOD. not to mention Gen 4 seemed to have the most Legendaries in a single region.
>>
>>24592560
How are Ethan and Lyra less special than Red and Leaf?
>>
>>24592223
Close to quads

No I'm not sick because we are only mildly the special snowflake until lately. I think the games would be more boring if they tried shoving the normal guy into the special super dank plot. Gen 4 (Platinum) was done well, and I think HGSS too.
Gen 1: We blow entire mafia. Special snowflake: YES

Gen 2: We blow mafia along Lance. Special snowflake: NO. You are simply a skilled trainer.

Gen 2(C): Just a bit special because Suicune chooses you.

Gen 3 (RS): We bring peace to the region. Special snowflake: NO. We decide doing good. We are skilled trainers.

Gen 4 (DP): Blabla. SP SN: A little. We aren't special besides Mesprit crap, so even less than Gen 1 but a bit more than Gen 2-3.

Gen 4 (HGSS): Same as Gen 2, except that whole "fate" thing with the dancers that give you the egg and kind of know your future and how you must catch the bird.

Gen 5: Absolutely special snowflake.

Gen 6 (XY): Muh Lucario crap. That's about it. Other than that, it's pure luck that we are skilled through mega evolution and are there when X/Y legendary wakes up to catch it.

Gen 6 (ORAS): Even more than XY. Muh mega evolving Latino. Muh "Woah, Rayquaza chose you?". Pretty cancer, I agree.
>>
>>24592595
I don't know how you can say that Gen 2's protags aren't special snowflakes, just "simply a skilled trainer", yet you say Red is a special snowflake when the same reasoning should apply.
>>
>>24592610
Red is one boy beating everything. Gold is one boy that, other than defending the Slowpokes, is aided by the Champion while becoming stronger.
>>
>>24592619
He did a pretty shit job at "beating everything" considering the "everything" still exists 3 years later.

Red's simply skilled.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>being a Redfag
>>
>>24592223
The fuck has the main character ever been called the chosen one?
>>
File: Disgusting.png (60 KB, 179x217) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.png
60 KB, 179x217
>>24592692
>not being a Redfag
>>
>>24592454
The character models in pokemon games are not detailed at all, so yes it IS simple. Could even make it more simple by just mixing parts from different npcs.

I for one would be okay with just having an adult-option like with gender and colour.
And people who seriously expect custom characters to look exactly like themselves are autists.
>>
>>24592423
>tfw GF would rather spend their time on "new" megas and cosplay pikachu
>>
>>24592364
Wait, so if you dont say yes to lucario (and then box it) your rival gets it? I need confirmation.
>>
>>24592953
Nothing of the sort happens. It just stays up on the tower with Corni.
>>
You also gotta take into account every other factor in being chosen by legendary
For example in ORAS, Rayquaza chose you because his only options were either you or Zinnia
>>
>>24592277
What the hell are you talking about? The only legends who give themselves to you are the Latis, and that's only because you saved them. Every other legendary you get in the game by fighting
>>
>>24595130
It chose you because you had the rock. If not it probably would have told you to fuK off too
>>
I think the Legendaries should just not be including in the main storyline like in the first two gens. In R/B/G/Y, the three birds were just there to be there. Mewtwo had a backstory, but he wasn't the focal point. However, if they ever do a remake, Mewtwo would so be added into the plot because GameFreak.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.