[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason why we don't have constant tournaments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 5
File: 14345345534534.jpg (212 KB, 598x1024) Image search: [Google]
14345345534534.jpg
212 KB, 598x1024
Is there any reason why we don't have constant tournaments going on?
I mean seriously, what the actual fuck /vp/. We have the perfect board here to set CONSTANT tournaments up and yet I never see that.

And no, I'm not talking about the odd battle request you get from wi-fi general, I mean season after season of tournaments.

So my question is this, why the fuck aren't we doing this?
>>
>>24590325
Because we are too lazy to breed some competitive teams.
>>
Lack of interest from the community.
>>
>>24590325
Start it.
>>
I'd rather shitpost about ORAS instead.
>>
>>24590344
I don't think I'm right for the job. I'm not just being lazy when I say that either, because I'd actually like to set it up but I really don't have enough experience with pokemon tournaments .
>>
>>24590325
Its weird I see a lot of people breeding for IVs on the wifi general, but never any tournys. I'm game for a tourny if we can get one started.
>>
>>24590325
Most of /vp/ donont know about competitive , but love to shitpost in Smogon threads
>>
Oh yeah i totally do edea.
>>
>>24590325
>>24590379
There's no incentive. At least with Showdown, you have rankings to go by.
>>
>>24590389
The Wi-Fi fags are just retarded perfectionists that like to test their patience over achieving the goal application.
>>
I have no doubt that after you get the ball rolling, anons will join in.

It's just afterwards that worries me. Is it going to be a huge circlejerk like the Wifi-General?
>>
>>24590461
Not gonna lie, but I can't see how it wouldn't turn out like that.
I mean think about it, if the same people are gonna be constantly taking part, then I don't see any way that it won't have at least some circlejerking.

If anybody really is interested, then I could try figure out how to set one up, but as I said, I definitely would prefer somebody who is more knowledgeable on pokemon to take the wheel. I made this thread because I wanna take part in one, not necessarily host it.

If I do it, then it's just going to look similar to the GBA setup of drafting picks, and I don't know if /vp/ is gonna like that.

I'm just surprised that this isn't already a thing.
>>
>>24590325
Really it would just be to much of a hassle. Trolls, people never playing, dealing with friend codes, not knowing who is who due to the site being anonymous. We could do it through Showdown I guess, but meh...
>>
>>24590496
Does it have to be GBA drafts? Why can't we use what we already have?
>>
RIP, Pokemon General.
>>
>>24590496
>>24590461
Could just start using a trip to call drafts and then challenge others while avoiding the "chit chat"

Other than that i'm game.
>>
>>24590528
>Does it have to be GBA drafts?

No it doesn't.
As I said, I am literally a shit choice to get this thing on the go. I'm willing to bet anybody in this thread could do a better job.
>>
>>24590528
>Why can't we use what we already have?
such as? I like the gba draft setup personally.
>>
>>24590645
We could use this http://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator
>>
if I remember there was a tournament thread a while back. gym leaders or something like that.
Never took part, but I watched a few battles.
The concept was pretty neat and i'm down for a GBA type of tourney.

Just as long as we don't become a circlejerk group full of weird ass names for the teams you use.
>>
Shall we get a poll on the go in regards to what format we should run, since there seems to be a fair bit of interest in using the GBA setup?

I know I like it due to other teams not being able to use pokemon that are already taken, which gives teams some diversity so we don't see everybody using the same shit.
>>
>>24590645
I feel like drafts limit my team building.
>>
>>24590692
>Everyone using the same shit then complaining that the tournament is shit

>Everyone using different teams and complaining some anons teams are overpowered and the tournament is shit.

GBA rules are more fairer, but yeah, anons will complain.
just need a better way to draft balanced teams.

Are we going of smogons tiers? or make up a new rule to drafting mons.
>>
I personally just want something that limits how many high tier mons you can pick.
So from a smogon perspective, something that limits you to using something like :
1 Mega
1 OU
2 UU
2 RU
2 NU
2 PU

>>24590730
Making up a new rule would probably be ideal. I like the whole "having 11 pokemon" thing that the gba does.
>>
Bump for an idea several people are interested in.
>>
>>24590518
>not knowing who is who due to the site being anonymous
This is what trips are for
>>
>>24590325
Posting here because
>MGRGRGR
>>
To avoid as much circlejerking as possible, could have all participants remain anonymous while posting. Participants would send FCs to an organizer's throwaway email or some shit. Organizer would set up bracket and email participant their opponent's FC with battle time.

Yes, your IGN will be seen via replays etc, but even if some tripfag shitter claims an IGN, just ignore it.

Maybe add some clauses like
>can only have 50% of the team the same as last tourny
>tiers, smogon or otherwise

idk, just ideating senpai
>>
>>24594311
Or in order to not have to think what to do for every tour, it can be just this, since the common claim is "REMOVE GENIES"
>VGC format Bo3, Bring six, pick four
>No Legends
Yes, I know, "But m-muh Articuno", even with the top dogs out, you wouldn't use lesser legendaries because they're shit. If you want to avoid conflicts, drop everything on par and get used to it. Also, this will avoid the need for injecting.
>Rotating teams
This is the difficult part. What you said is a good start, change at least 50% of the team tour after tour. But none of your Pokémon can participate in more than two tournaments in a row. So every player must have at least 12 Pokémon to be able to rotate all of them.

And as a last part, every now and then, a "Surprise Rule" to add some flavor, like
>No Megas
None of your Pokémon can have attached a Mega Stone.
>Megas Only
You can only bring Pokémon that can Mega Evolve, and everyone with their respective Mega Stone.
>No Items
>Inverse
Those two are self explanatory
And things like that.
>>
>>24590339
:^) them
>>
>>24594349

Not bad, I like it. Some more obvious rules:

>any match not recorded (in game or otherwise) will not count (rematch? backup participants?)
>any rule violations result in forfeiture
>disconnecting results in forfeiture
>if winner of match with forfeiture due to rule violation or dc agrees, a rematch is allowed (accidental rule violation, router troubles, etc; at winner's discretion)
>spamming butthurt emails (don't count posting, as that can be impersonation) result in lockout from next tournament

Would also be fun to run some side meta-contest stuff via posting/strawpolls:

>best pokemon nicknames
>shones
>best plays
>best sportsmanship
>biggest troll
>>
>>24594532
Yeah... That sounds like a start. And the most important thing, deadlines. You weren't able to battle and didn't talk to anyone about it, it's your lose.

The bulk of online tournaments or events like this fall flat because almost nobody respect the deadlines. Resulting in the same four or six people battling over and over again, burning them down.

Some extra "prices" by things that you mentioned last could spice the things a little, to keep it fresh. I like it!
>>
Gen 6 battling is complete trash. No one wants to play the same overpowered shit over and over.

Jus wait for gen 7 and people will be interested again.
>>
For tournaments, the first thing you need is someone willing to be the host.

Then, some sort of prize. It could be anything you can come up with, like say, money, commemorative shones, plushes, or be given the right to tripfag without anyone being able to bitch about it because fuck, you're the vp champ. Or just street cred.

The way I see it, tournaments are most efficient the more RL-like they are. That is, I believe that with enough organization you can run a live online tournament using some irc client for contacting and be done within 1 day, maybe 2 days. We could run weekly qualifiers, and then the champions from each qualifier square off for the big prize(s). That way, everyone knows what's up, and they decide wether to make it or not.

As for the format, it's best to keep it as flat as possible and stick with it. VGC, Smogon, whatever you call it, and follow it through. If you wish to spice up things however against my advice, the next best thing I've seen is 'weekly bans'. That is, every week, something is unusable. It could be a really strong Pokémon in the metagame, an invaluable supporter, part of one of the best cores, whatever, you name it. However, I still advise against it, and it's likely to keep people out.

And the most important thing, is that these things are fun to have fun and make friends. You can't make friends and remain anonymous, because that makes it hard to tell if you're talking to your friend or some other dude who doesn't know you at all. That's why I honestly think running a tournament would get complicated, at least if we stick to a 'remain anonymous no matter what' rule.
>>
what is the drafting thing people keep mentioning?
>>
>>24595086
Drafting is when people select certain pokemon to make up potential team members in a tournament setting.

For example, in the GBA tournament each player is allotted a certain amount of points that they can spend on certain pokemon depending on how good they are and after drafting 11 they can use any of the 11 on their team for tournament battles.
>>
Is there actually a fan made website that runs community hosted tournaments where the winner just wins internet points?
>>
>>24594970

I understand what you mean about the anonymity being a crutch. Not sure it's possible to address that and still keep from circlejerking. Losing the anonymity also means people will take less risks for fear of being embarrassed/harassed, which takes a lot of the fun out of something like this. But again, it is sort of moot with recurring IGNs, though you could certainly reset a copy of, say, XY and move pokemon from your ORAS every tournament (could even go so far as to factory reset your 3DS for a new FC). That way you don't have to worry about your street cred when you want to try some gimmick team for ebin keks, if you are insecure about that sort of thing.

>weekly bans

I agree with you on this, straying too far from rules will likely turn people off. Weekly bans makes sense, but I also think something like 'only 50% team overlap' is a good idea to prevent one champ from sweeping every tournament as easily.

>prizes

This is probably the hardest part. I personally breed a lot, and could provide some dumb, semi-competative shones, or a shone of reasonable request. Also 5-6IV mons in general, but all of that is devalued by injecting as a whole, so it might not be a big incentive to a lot of players.

>live online/irc

This would be cool, but maybe a bit difficult getting people's schedules to line up all on the same day. Though maybe doing something like streaming your battle via periscope (never used, so no clue how cancer it is) from your phone might be analogous enough to that.

>>24595086
>>24595101
>drafting

I don't really like the idea of drafting for a /vp/ tournament, as it is somewhat exclusionary from the get-go. An anon who doesn't want to interact outside of /vp/ on that level would not be interested, or someone who has not done much competitive battling and wouldn't know the value of certain pokemon would be scared away from it.
>>
>>24590325
Edea is cute! CUTE!!
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/3rkg2z/pokemon_oras_tournament_website_not_official/

LF feedback
>>
>>24595506
LITERALLY REDDIT
>>
>>24595527
post got removed kek
>>
I thought this thread died off days ago.

Well it's good to see people are still interested, but again, we need somebody to step up and host this shit, because I cannot do it.

Here's the only thing that I'd very much like to see.

>A rule that forces people to pick pokemon from multiple tiers
The last thing I want to see is teams that consist of nothing but shit like Rotom-W, Genie, M-Sableye, Clefable and so on, which is the whole reason why I suggested the GBA format, since that limits how many top tier picks you can have on your team.

Then we need to figure out if we're going to have a drafting system which means once some other anon has chosen a pokemon, that one is unable to be used by another team.

I dunno man, I still like the sounds of that personally. It adds another element to the team building phase and I think it would get people interested enough to join up. Could be wrong, but a thread or something dedicated to drafting like 16 anons (assuming we get that many who want to play) teams of 11 sounds fun as fuck, and that's before we even get to battling.

We can also decide if legendaries should be allowed. Personally, I'm strongly AGAINST legendaries being allowed.

Anyway, for those that don't know, the format on what you can pick in GBA is as follows :

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
Tier 3
Tier 4
Tier 5
Mega
Free
Free
Free
Free

The free slots work on a point system (you have 400 points), and you have to fill all of the slots. I think tier 1 pokemon are something like 160-180 points, while tier 5 pokemon cost 40 points.
That's just a basic overview for people who aren't familiar with the setup they use.

There's already a fair bit of interest in this from this thread alone. 25 people. I was expecting to get like 8 people saying they want in, but if we can get a better number like 16, then even better. We just need to come to an agreement about which format to use then we can push forward.
>>
>>24596653
biggest problem I have with drafting is that it limits participants from square one. Much easier to add people the day before or whatever in a straight tourny.
>>
Okay.

>>24596986
Drafting would be ok. But the thing is that for making things a little more interesting, there will be a need to draft at the beginning of every tour, since Drafting for the whole competition will limit things, a lot.

Also, the main trouble here... will be the format. Just like VGC? Battle Spot Singles? 6v6 Singles?

Not everyone had the same tastes so this could be an issue if it's not considered from the get go.
The rules can wait, if something like tours are going to be running, we need to establish the main format. Keyword here, main. Of course there'll be tour in other formats and what not, but we need to stick to a main one.
>>
File: 54635636.png (113 KB, 307x316) Image search: [Google]
54635636.png
113 KB, 307x316
All these neat ideas and no one has done anything about it

God dammit.

If only I wasn't a sperglord I'd be happy to try host a fun tourney for anons.
>>
>>24594958

>>24594349
>>24594311
>>
We've tried it before, OP. We had decently regular monotype tournaments from which the top 8 became "gym leaders" or whatever and could be challenged by anybody who wanted to battle, whoever beat them all became the "champion". It died off after a while, because people lost interest.
>>
>>24599975

But that is dumb, and that is why it failed. No one wants to spend their time battling random anons to defend muh gym badge, and anons don't want to battle the same gym leader anon. Tournaments are much more exciting, and can happen rather quickly, and then its on to the next exciting tournament.

>>24599929
I would be willing to put some thought into organizing it, but I am the anon who is not into drafting, and it seems like more people want drafting than not, so I am going to let a drafting anon organize it.
>>
So are we doing this shit on Showdown or ORAS?
>>
>>24600014
I'm indiferent about drafting, I'm this >>24594349
and >>24599018

To be honest, I don't care about almost anything as long as everyone teams rotates and people are able to stick to a main format to avoid troubles.

I can't host since my connection is unstable as fuck, I'm barely able to make through a whole battle. Making an IRC or whatnot is out of my capabilities thanks for that.
>>
>>24600014
I liked it. It was mostly because I love monotype shit, but I still liked it.
>>
>>24600108
It would be great if we could have both. I haven't touched my 3DS in months after all my boxes were injected full of Pokemon, so Showdown is easier. At the same time, people probably like using Pokemon they've bred, or prefer the dynamism of a 3DS battle, so both options should be available as long as a replay gets submitted and combatants agree to which tool they'll use.
>>
>>24600557
Monotype is fun. But in the long run it gets stale. It should be a thing once in a while but not the bulk of the battles.
>>
>>24600108
Personally, I would rather on cart, as it increases agency with having to breed/trade for a team. Obviously people will inject, but with showdown, there is 0 effort required for all parties. If it turns out cart is too much work for people, or injecting ruins the fun, then we can always fall back on showdown.
>>
bumpin
>>
Bumping for great justice.
>>
File: 1445296265006.jpg (109 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1445296265006.jpg
109 KB, 450x600
Bamp.
>>
Could probably just alternate tourny themes
go by brackets
have people all battle by a certain date, wins/losses/draws must be proven, organise all that through spreadsheets, communication through threads, ircs
I'd step up and organise and host if people will be civil and cooperative
then again this is /vp/, that's not guaranteed
>>
>>24590325
Because of Showdownsyndrome
Showderp [Adequately named]
and Smogay
>>
Neat idea.
Sign me up when you find someone to do it.
>>
Bumping because this thread has a lot of potential.
>>
I am doing extra life all day tomorrow, but sunday I will make a post here or a new thread and make a serious attempt to host it, or get things rolling.
>>
We need to answer some of the bigger questions here to figure out exactly what type of regular tournament is right for /vp/. Several ideas have been floated, but we're far from consensus at the moment. The few things we seem to have (mostly) agreed on:
>No legends
>Some mechanism to prevent frequent use of OP mons

Questions that still need to be answered:

>Should it be draft or non-draft?

>How often should the tournament be held? Weekly? Monthly? Something else?

>What format's rules should we adopt? VGC doubles, Smogon, GBA, something else?

>What exactly is the right mechanism/rules to keep OP mons in check?

>Insert your question here
>>
>>24606793
I'm suggesting that we should hold the tournaments every 2 weeks, and we should only adopt several of Smogon's rules (e.g. sleep clause).
>>
>>24590325
>Is there any reason why we don't have constant tournaments going on?
I really don't know tbqh m8. Kinda like in the good ol' days of /tv/ when there'd be at least 2 or 3 anons streaming movies.

What the fuck happened guys..
>>
>>24606793
>no legends
Yes because articuno is so fucking broken compared to Garchomp.
>>
>>24606964
You realize Sleep and Evasion Clause are both from Pokemon Stadium, right?

The things you're calling Smogon's Rules are Gamefreak's rules.

You might as well call EVs and banning events and box covers "smogon rules"
>>
>>24607061
I'm going to just bury the hatchet and tell you that you're right; not really looking forward to another viewing a thread with at least one Smogon-argument, since we already have enough of those.

>>24606985
Most of the anons started to leave after the excitement for ORAS and XY died down, anon.
>>
>>24607061
>Evasion
No, it was only sleep, freeze, self KO, species and item clauses.
>>
>>24607061
you're fucking delusional
stadium does not have that
>>
What the fuck. I checked the other day and my thread got deleted. Now it's suddenly back? Am I going crazy or something? I swear it was actually gone.
Can mods restore a thread? Because I think it may have been deleted by accident.
>>
>>24606793
>>Should it be draft or non-draft?

I vote draft, for sure. Drafting always makes things more interesting.

>How often should the tournament be held? Weekly? Monthly? Something else?

I think we should try monthly first. If we end up getting an awful lot of interest though, we could try making it weekly.

>What format's rules should we adopt? VGC doubles, Smogon, GBA, something else?

GBA. I've never been a fan of doubles, so anything that uses the 6 vs 6 singles format would be fine with me, but I'd rather just go the GBA route. I don't mind if we add some minor variations to the GBA formula though, if that's what people want.

>What exactly is the right mechanism/rules to keep OP mons in check?

I think the main thing about GBA rules is that everybody can technically get 1-2 OP mons via their Tier 1 and one of their Free picks (if they choose to pick a tier 1 mon for their Free pick, it gimps the other 3 Free picks they can choose by forcing them into picking 3 lower tier pokemon due to the point system).
However if people all agree that a certain mon is too strong and that we don't want to deal with it, then we can just outright ban that mon from the tourny.

>Insert your question here
Will this ever get past the planning stage, because I really want to draft some mons and play
>>
File: 1446763647149.gif (653 KB, 500x253) Image search: [Google]
1446763647149.gif
653 KB, 500x253
>>24607140
Also wondering this.
>>
>>24607055
read >>24594349
>>
>>24607140
Prob not, As much as i'd like to take part, I don't think any anons or op can think of a way to host it fairly.

the only rules that i'd like is limited ou mons per team. I don't care if its the same ou mon as long as people bring other tiers too for fun and challenging games then i'm all set.
>>
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PmlG8xCpjNJeGUKbqv5gdkoELW6X3zCSkqQ-WrHP5f4/viewform?usp=send_form
Will end in about day or two. Feel free to suggest modifications to the form.
Host(s) should be decided upon once enough people -- about 2 or 3 people -- volunteer for the job.
>>
Bumping before I sleep.
>>
>>24609414
>only two responses after eight hours
I guess I've waited too long.[/spoiler[
>>
>>24609414
>>24611604
You should make a new thread and put that link in the OP. This thread seems to have run its course.
>>
>>24611865
Need to think up of a catchy name for the tourney threads, first; gotta make up for the fact that this thread is going to loiter around the board for a few more days before pruning.
>>
>>24611898
Sensible. Also a layman's explanation of the various rulessets may be necessary. Smogon Singles & VGC are common enough to figure out, but finding exact rules for GBA is a hassle. I don't even know what UCL is.

The explanation of drafting could also be expanded; as-is it doesn't say much. We are talking round robin, right?
>>
>>24611925
"Drafting: Each individual anon selects a certain number of Pokemon to be used a tournament. Those Pokemon are restricted to the anons who selected them."
"e.g. Anon U drafts Caterpie and Joltik. No anons can use Caterpie and Joltik except for Anon U."
Sounds good? Working on gathering some links together for the GBA and UCL rules.
>>
>>24611925
I think I've fixed the issues with the survey, now.
>>
>>24609414
Filled in and bumping
>>
Bumping thread.
>>
Bumping before heading to work
>>
>>24590529
And nothing of value was lost.
>>
bump for survey
>>24609414
>>24609414
>>24609414
>>
Phew, found a Gym Leader Monotype thread for the newfigs to learn about and look at.
http://fgts.jp/vp/thread/22335577/
>>
>>24609414
Will close in about 15 hours from now; letting some stragglers in before anything happens.
>>
Saving.
>>
>>24617265
>22335577
damn nice numbers
>>
File: mew lad.png (160 KB, 620x603) Image search: [Google]
mew lad.png
160 KB, 620x603
>>24599975
>It died off after a while, because people lost interest on the games.
ftfy

you cant expect to play ORAS all day everyday.

we decided putting the mono tourney and gym challenge on hiatus until a new game is released
>>
>>24609414
Results:
>How Often Should the Tournaments Be Held?
Every month

>How Are Battle Formats per Tournament Going to Be Decided?
Cycle through the formats

>Where Should the Tournaments Be Focused On?
Cartridge (ORAS/XY)

>What Rules Should Be Adopted?
GBA (Global Battle Association)

>Should Drafts Be Used?
Depends on the # of entries per tournament

Anons should start forming a rule-set w/o drafts and a rule-set based on the GBA draft system.
http://pastebin.com/BRFSuk3G contains the basic GBA draft system.
>>
>>24621828
Almost forgot to mention that the rule-set w/o drafts should be based on a mixture of VGC/Smogon rules.
>>
bump I guess
After the VGC shitter wave that hit my place, I stopped playing since most smogon players moved to PS instead of playing on cart, so this has a lot of potential for me
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.