[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A lot of pokemon would be better if they had Gen I movepools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 14207509554413.png (265 KB, 541x496) Image search: [Google]
14207509554413.png
265 KB, 541x496
A lot of pokemon would be better if they had Gen I movepools , prove me wrong
>>
I can't.
>>
>>24581789
fissure machamp
>>
>>24581789
>>24581789
Pokemon Crystal also had some interesting gift pokemon and egg moves that you wouldn't see now. I think there was a distro of a petal dance psyduck, for example, and one of phanpy's egg moves was water gun. Not that it was terribly useful on it, but I liked the thought put into it.
>>
>>24582773
RIP lovely kiss nidoking
>>
>pure dragon types get NO moves with STAB
>>
>>24583148
Back when they cared about balance

>oh so you have no STAB here's 140/120BP ones to use with your high stats
>normal-types would suck you say? Who cares dragons are cooler XD
>>
>>24583179
agreed. I liked it when types had their own "niche" so to speak.

>normal types weren't good against anything, but they got utility moves that no other type got. Things like 100% accuracy (swift), priority (quick attack), and more often than not a decent variety of types in their movepool.

>Grass types were weak against a lot, and were generally slow, but they had access to a variety of status inflicting moves and HP leeching moves.

>Rock types had high defense, with the odd exception (aerodactyl), and water types were generally solid all round but not the best at any one thing.

to name a few. Im sure not every type had a niche, but each seemed to have their overarching specialty or theme.

Exceptions to every type, of course, but it gave flavor to the types. That said, they couldn't keep creating more of the same every generation, but things have gotten ridiculously out of balance at this point. GF should have put more thought into abilities before they released gen 3 imo to mention one.
>>
>>24583447
It's sad how many clone moves there are that are the same move but just a different type.
>>
>>24583529
>>24583447
pokemon types are not the same thing as MTG color pies.
Its fine for clone mechanics to be a thing really, since there is only so many different things to do in battles (damage, cause a status effect, hit/miss chance, hit on a different turn, temporary immunity to damage) and you want each pokemon to feel special enough that care about using it in game, so giving a clone move is actually fine.
>>
>>24583590
that just goes to show how gamefreak needs to come up with some variety in the game mechanics
>>
>>24583692
hard to do without a more complex positioning system, and doubles/triples didn't take well enough for hitting two or all to be a defining trait for new moves.
>>
>>24582773
Petal Dance Psyduck was an event, not an egg move
>>
>>24581807
Machamp is too slow to run Fissure
>>
>>24583893
Reading Comprehension
>>
>>24583913
>prove OP wrong
>he does
???
>>
>>24583590
Except clone moves and huge movepools make pokemon feel LESS special.

What's so special about having access to quick attack when aqua jet, mach punch, bullet punch, etc exist?
When pretty much every single pokemon of a type learns the same staple moves, they blend together into a homogeneous pile. It would be more interesting if some water types learned ice beam, while other water types learned scald.

As is, too many pokemon are just outclassed because they have nothing special going for them. Smaller movepools with more differences would fix that.
>>
>>24583994
Eh
Movepool creep being reversed at this point would cause an uproar. People anxiously hope their favorites will get new moves each game, and are always excited about that, but shrinking the move pools makes people panic and produce tons of that pokemon with that move on their old game, and even discouraging upgrading to the new generation. Over just a single move on a single pokemon being gone.
Imagine if they started shrinking movepools of all pokemon so that pokemon only got about 10-20 moves total (1 every 5-10 levels), and can only learn a handful of TMs..
>>
>>24584030
Yeah, that would be great.
But, like you said, most people just want More Power and would have a fit. I mean, that's the reason power creep has somehow gotten into pokemon of all things.

TMs also should be seriously overhauled. As is it just seems so random what moves are TM moves and what moves aren't.
>>
>>24584078
I really hate how so many pokemon learn so many moves early on, particularly multiple per level. Makes it a hassle to level eggs up, and gets your expectations up so you're let down later on in the leveling process when the pokemon won't learn but maybe 4 moves after level 30, Spreading them out would be amazing.

Making everything a TM would be a little silly, at least without conditions like..
Maybe there is a TM creator, and you have to level a pokemon that learns the move and take it there with that move, and then you can, for a fee, 'record' the move to a TM. Would be lore friendly so that NPCs can realistically have them to give/sell because they had pokemon with that move, and they can use it against you in battle like gym leaders do, first.
>>
>>24581789
> voltorb
>>
>>24581789
A lot of pokemon would also be worse.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.