[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today I learned that if a Flying type uses roost it loses its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
Today I learned that if a Flying type uses roost it loses its flying type and can get hit with earthquake.

Is there any way to use this to your advantage or is this just useless trivia?
>>
>>20575952
Talonflame would take only 2x damage from a Rock type attack after Roosting instead of 4x, for instance
>>
>Be faster than you opponent
>Use roost
>Rock/Elek damages are now neutral
>>
>>20575952
did you also get hit by machamp's stone edge while using fly?
>>
It becomes Normal-type (???-type in Gen IV) until the end of the turn.
>>
>>20575952
If I'm using fastest bravest bird, I suppose it could be used to tank an electric attack since it's no longer SE. Or something similar.
>>
>>20575968
That's a thing too? I know that if you use dig and then the opponent uses earthquake you're fucked, but that was the only "special exception" move I could think of.

Do you know any others?
>>
>>20576023
it's more due to No Guard, but on a similar vein, Tornado will be more effective during the semi-invulnerable turn of fly, I believe
>>
You guys are all fucking kidding me, right?
>>
I've seen it being taken advantage by slower mons to hit Skarmory and stallbreaker Talonflame with Earthquake a couple of times. I've also exploited it with Mega Mawile to Focus Punch the shit out of a few Skarmorys that thought they could just Roost for free.
>>
>>20576127
>I think OP just doesn't know about No Guard
>go to bulbapedo
>OP is completely correct
Shit. Why would they even do that?
>>
>>20576023

same anon here >>20576063, stomp and i think body slam (?) also deals 2x damage on minimized opponents
>>
Twister/Hurricane/Thunder can hit pokemon during fly
Earthquake, Magnitude can hit pokemon during dig
Stomp/BodySlam does double damage if minimize is used
Swift/Always hit moves hit during fly/dig
>>
If you're slower, you can hit Rock, Normal, steel and dark type flying pokemon for super effective damage from fighting type moves.

Or poison,electric and fire flying types for super effective on ground type moves.

On the defensive side, you can use it to remove a weakness to rocks, electric or ice for a turn.
>>
>>20576063
Twister does that, too.
>>
>>20576132
>Why would they even do that?
It lands, therefore it is no longer flying.
>>
>>20575952
I used to do that in Gen 5 with Dragonite to Stall out Tyranitar's Stone Edges. It probably would have worked too if the weather mechanics were the same as Gen 6 since there were no fairies.
>>
>Zapdos uses roost
>Heracross used earthquake!
>Zapdos fainted
Or
>Murkrow used roost
>Durant used X-Scissor
>Its super effective!

Love when I hit those
>>
ITT: rookie trainers who don't know how moves work
>>
>>20575952
Immunity to ghost type attacks for that round.
>>
>>20576158
But it stays flying in its sleep or if its frozen solid
>>
>>20576023
Pretty sure that Thunder hits everytime if your opponent is using Fly.

Same goes for in doubles if you have one of your teammates perform Sky Drop. It takes the enemy up in the air on the first turn and that's when you can 100% Thunder them.
>>
>>20576297
Some animals can sleep standing up. Why can't birds sleep while flying?
>>
>>20576248
I've been playing Pokemon since gen IV.

Not really a rookie, it's just that this was never stated anywhere in the flavor text. You just have to figure it out.
>>
>>20576341
Because they don't. Especially in pokemon when you're already closer to the ground than just flying about. And what about being frozen?
>>
>>20576363
Unless you started with gen 1
you're a rookie
>>
>>20576023
Sky Uppercut can hit a Flying Pokemon.
Source: My LeafGreen Nuzlocke. ;_;
>>
These are moves which can hit Pokémon that are in a semi-invulnerable turn. They deal double damage when hitting a semi-invulnerable Pokémon through their own effect (except Toxic, a status move, and Fissure, a one-hit knockout move).

Pokémon that have used Fly, Bounce or Sky Drop, or that are affected by Sky Drop, can be hit by Gust, Smack Down, Sky Uppercut, Thunder, Twister and Hurricane. If a Pokémon using Fly or Bounce is hit by Smack Down, it is returned to the ground and the move is canceled.

Pokémon that have used Dig can be hit by Earthquake, Magnitude and Fissure.

Pokémon that have used Dive can be hit by Surf and Whirlpool.
>>
>>20576341
Some can sleep while flying.

But since when do biological functions matter in Pokemon?
>>
>>20576374
Genwunner logic
I've been playing since blue, there are still people on here who have probably started later and play/know more
"Everybody who started after me is a rookie forever!!1!"
>>
>>20576374
>being this elitist

I mean if you wanna think that way okay
>>
>>20576374
Yea I know how you feel. I've played guitar since 99, and anyboyd that started after that is a rookie.
>>
>>20576392
I know some of these but since it's so rare to find semi invulnerable moves on NPC's and in competitive, I've never really had the time to notice this.

I knew the Earthquake one because I was frustrated with this one Pokemon continually using dig. Nearly shat myself when "______'s Pokemon fainted"
>>
>>20576392
The really need more moves that use this kind of system.
>>
>>20576363
>I've been playing Pokemon since gen IV
lel pleb
>>
>>20576023
Poison-types can use Toxic on mons using Fly and Dig, also 100% accuracy.
>>
File: tyranitar.jpg (178 KB, 1100x877) Image search: [Google]
tyranitar.jpg
178 KB, 1100x877
I love these hidden effects in game, like how using Defense Curl before Rollout makes it deal double damage. It adds some charm to the game.

And I don`t recall any game mentioning me that Sandstorm doubles the spDef of Rock mons.
>>
>>20578038
I think it's just a 50% increase, but yeah, I only found that out through touhoumon
>>
>>20576023
Surf hits double on pokemon using dive
>>
ITT: The more disgusting side of the ultra casual fanbase.
I haven't seen a single fact that wasn't reveleased at least 6 years ago.
Also, Roost's side effect was discovered a week after DP's launch or so.
>>
EQing a Zapdos is super satisfying
>>
>>20575969

Holy shit I did not know this one, I thought it kist lost flying type
>>
>>20577779

Holy shit, I thought this was a troll untill I checked.

I thought I was good at pokemon </3
>>
Gastro Acid doesn't work on Magic Bounce; it just Bounces it back at you.
>>
>>20575952
I used to use it to my advantage when using a mandibuzz in gen 5 since it isn't that slow at 80 speed and doesn't share a common weakness when it's in the air (ice, rock and electric) and on the ground (fighting and bug)

Sadly in gen 6 it's weak to fairy no matter what and I still see her as being nerfed in gen 6 in spite of the usage increase
>>
>>20578264
>Not knowing some piece of minutia about Pokemon
>disgusting

u wot?
>>
For a while, I thought that flying was actually weak to ground type attacks, because my crobat got hit with a supereffective earthquake while using roost. I didn't realize poison was weak to ground until much later.
>>
http://www.serebii.net/games/combo.shtml
There's a page on Serebii for all of these, too bad it's outdated as all Hell
>>
>>20575952
Crow/Goldbat lose their ice weakness, but aren't immune to ground anymore.
Uhhhh
Talonflame also can get hit with an EQ, but it's kind of niche and risky.
most people forget this, and predicting a roost and having something to take advantage of that opposed to a regular damaging move is kind of rare.
>>
gliscor
>>
Windstorm doesn't fail under rain
>>
File: uwot.jpg (105 KB, 477x756) Image search: [Google]
uwot.jpg
105 KB, 477x756
>>20576363
>I've been playing Pokemon since gen IV.
>Not really a rookie
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.