[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rlg/ - Roguelike General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 150
File: 1465958840514.png (12 KB, 648x454) Image search: [Google]
1465958840514.png
12 KB, 648x454
Junethack is ongoing for the rest of June: https://junethack.net/
/rlg/ clan: Just kidding, there isn't one.

DCSS Trunk Updates:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-12-june-2016

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: http://pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: http://pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
http://roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
http://pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Previous thread: >>145461128
>>
awoo lad
>>
>tfw no CENTAUR CAVALRY bf
>>
And before anon bitches, if you want to put the HoM beta in the OP, don't upload a tar.gz containing precompiled source for an unknown system with random ttyrecs and scores list already present to tinyupload.
Jesus christ.
>>
File: advice.jpg (302 KB, 1846x1028) Image search: [Google]
advice.jpg
302 KB, 1846x1028
There's a really solid ring here that I could most definitely use, but the iron golems worry me.
I could finesse+hero+regen (I've got the spell down to 30% and I'm wearing a regen amulet), maybe even use lignification and see how things go, but I'm worried I'll just straight up splat.

Is there anything I could do here that I'm just not thinking of? These stairs are the only ones leading to this place (Except for a single yet-to-be-discovered stairs on the floor below this one).

And if you're wondering why I'm playing such a wobbly character: I'm playing human wanderers and rolling with whatever I get to try and get better at the game. I'm regularly making it through half of Lair with wonky-ass characters, so it seems to be working out for me.
>>
>>145600220
you can just compile it for your own system
>>
>>145600392
No no.
The file has source (*.c), compiled source files for unix (*.o), as well as a bunch of random files.
Like he literally uploaded his own */mist directory instead of a clean copy.
>>
File: arrr.png (124 KB, 1920x1043) Image search: [Google]
arrr.png
124 KB, 1920x1043
This fucks with your mind. There's infinite islands and each island is infinite too. wut

>>145594943
Yeah I downloaded it as a meme game and was honestly suprised by how fun it is. Lots of different lands, behaviours, mechanics etc.
>>
>>145600328
Don't try to fight unless you have to. They can probably kill you. You could swiftness in and try to teleport out, but it'd be risky.
>>
>>145600220
>has entire source code
>complains that there's also a built version for some system in there

It's a beta, anon. It's not going to be pre-built for every system yet, so you can use the source code to build your version if you are interested.
>>
>>145600824
I'll probably need my only TP scroll to save my ass some other time. The +stealth and invis would have been neat, but I'll try to come back for it after Lair.
Thank you for the advice.
>>
>>145600328
Just shout until they are all following you, then loop around get the loot and get out. Iron golems are slow.
>>
File: yiss.png (130 KB, 1920x1043) Image search: [Google]
yiss.png
130 KB, 1920x1043
>>145600560
Woop, got my 10 pirate treasures. On to the next land.
>>
File: Interesting.png (202 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Interesting.png
202 KB, 1920x1080
>that moment when you're swarmed by tough zombies who just killed your hope of survival
into the basement I go.
>>
>chose Blackbelt as my start in Cata
>initially turned off by the 8 point req
>chose Karate as my art
>escape a burning building and begin ORA ORA ORA ORAing enemies to death without being touched once
>check the skill bonuses for this profession
>Dodging (8), Melee (8), Unarmed (8)
22+ points of skill and a free martial art for 8 points is enrapturing. I don't think I'll ever bother using a gun again.
>>
>>145601274
The fact that Black Belt doesn't start with any items, weapons, or even very good clothing and that its point cost is on-par with tacticool bionic snipers and such says something.
>>
File: Black anchovies.png (52 KB, 1354x1023) Image search: [Google]
Black anchovies.png
52 KB, 1354x1023
>quick strike
>precise strike
Cudgel fucking OP please nerf.
>>
>>145601037
You were right, I hadn't even noticed their movement speed on the knowledge bot.
Ring get. Thanks!
>>
>>145601709
I've never used the cudgel in earlygame because in terms of damage output it just seems so inferior to the nail board or the meme spear. Do the techniques actually make it useful?
>>
>>145601795
FYI, you can also inspect monsters in newer versions of DCSS to see if they're faster or slower than your character.
>>
>>145601887
If you want to kite a lot or have good perception to get the crits.
Otherwise it's meme spear or copper knife.
>>
File: t.gif (12 KB, 335x200) Image search: [Google]
t.gif
12 KB, 335x200
the only roguelike i have beaten is crawl
what is the next roguelike i should beat
i dabble too often in too many, while i should be focusing
>>
>>145601887
Well I have 0 melee skill and 10 encumbrance and I still kept stunning him and raining blows on him like no tomorrow.
The quarterstaff is better though.
>>
>>145601993
Nethack. Now there's a game.
>>
>>145602015
Stable or experimental?
Stable has ultra-ez crits where you can expect to get 70% chance by early midgame.
>>
>>145601982
perception gives you crits?
>>
>>145600959
Fix it and re-upload it, is what I'm saying.
>>
>>145601993
PCB
>>
>>145602168
In experimental yes

In stable crits are pretty much free and fists are a top tier weapon
>>
File: Official rlg armor.png (15 KB, 583x153) Image search: [Google]
Official rlg armor.png
15 KB, 583x153
MEME
A
I
L
>>
File: toc toc.png (55 KB, 1359x1038) Image search: [Google]
toc toc.png
55 KB, 1359x1038
>>145602139
Experimental of course.
Look at this shit. I got five hits on him before he could do anything because he was stunned and that's not counting the cart-kiting.

How do you even stun a fucking amorphous goo invading a cadaver is beyond me
>>
>>145602273
>>145602027
but seriously though
they have so much content to learn
and so many instant deaths
nethack moreso, i like the idea but can't barely get past the first 10 levels
>>
Okay so say you've got 11 staves skill, but you suddenly found a triple sword (unenchanted, unbranded).
Would that be a big enough find to say fuck it and start training longswords?

I'm assuming not, but my quarterstaff is having a hard time with lair monsters, and triple swords are an end-game tier weapon right?
>>
>>145602724
Nethack's far less convoluted than PCB. Just make a valk and dip for excalibur and you've gotten a ticket to the midgame.
>>
>>145602740
a lot depends on whether you are planning to do extended or not...if you're going to zig up to 27 in every skill anyways, for example...

but in a 3 rune game my guess is that it's only very rarely worth it, if ever, after so much investment
>>
>>145602740
yes
>>
>>145602740
Not unless you are worshipping Ash.
>>
>>145602370
>How do you even stun a fucking amorphous goo invading a cadaver
You grab a cudgel and move into its direction
>>
>>145602740
Keep the staff and pray for a lajatang, 3swords require max investment to be effective
>>
>>145602898
nethack has way more shit you have to know than PCB

in PCB it's just
>does this monster cast scary spells or breathe for lots of damage or summon summoners?
in nethack you have shit like cockatrices, wands of death, eels instakilling you
>>
>>145602930
>>145602995
>>145603085
Well at least I'm with Oka, so here's hoping he'll dump a laj on me at some point.
Even with 2 wins under my belt, this is the first time I've ever even found a triple sword. It looks so sexy god damn.
I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>145603090
Those things are simple though. Don't touch cockatrices, wands of death kill and you can get drowned. PCB's sheer bulk is astounding.
>>
I really need to stop putting Insomnia on my DDA characters. It's definitely a lot more annoying than it used to be, and not being able to reliably fall asleep in the early game is a bitch.
>>
>>145603309
i mean pcb has MORE enemies, but a lot of them are mostly very similar

it also has an easymode ID minigame compared to nethack
>>
>>145603201
With Oka I think you're pretty much guaranteed to get a Lajatang eventually.
>>
>>145603309
>PCB's sheer bulk is astounding.
PCB doesn't have instadeath,for one.

Actually, until you get to the midgame PCB is quite forgiving.
>>
>clone the CDDA repo
Holy shit it's actually bigger than DCSS, what the fuck?
>>
>>145603309
well in any case, which would be the best variant? i used to play nethack4, is that considered the typical upgraded choice? or should i vanilla mode
>>
>4 (four) acquirements before Depths
>armour every time
>+2 cloak
>+1 hat with MR+
>shiny buckler
>-Cast randart boots

I'm a fucking retard
>>
>>145602740
It depends on your staff brand, staff enchantment, god choice, your species, and any available support spells that you may have online.

Typically, if you are trying to play optimally, you want to select a strong weapon type at the beginning of the game and use the best thing within that category you can find. There are exceptions to this of course, as with any character in Crawl, but it's usually not worth it to dump experience in multiple weapon categories when that experience could be placed into pumping your defenses or support spells instead.

Staves don't really qualify as a strong weapon category to select from the start in DCSS, largely because lajatangs are very rare drops. You can make a staff character work with some minimal knowledge of the game, but if you have to ask the question you'd probably be better off selecting a different weapon skill on future playthroughs.

tl;dr: I wouldn't switch, but it might be a good idea for you to do so.
>>
>>145603678
Those all sound good except the boots though. And if you're a troglodyte, then the boots are fine too.
>>
>>145603613
haha yeah
it takes HOURS.
>>
>>145603678
That's what you get for ignoring the gudposter advice to acquire wands
>>
>>145603821
>get +2 cloak
>I already had a +2 cloak

>get +1 hat
>I have a randart helmet

>get shiny buckler
>I have loads of them

>get boots (the only slot I was missing)
>randart
>"finally something good"
>-Cast
>I'm a stabber
>>
>complaining
think of all those MuMos starving in spain that would give their pinkie finger for a +1 hat
>>
>>145603991
Then you definitely are an idiot for acquiring armour when you apparently already have a bunch of it.
>>
>>145603448
>>145603563
I mean I guess? I think nethack is simpler though. Even at the endgame things are pretty easy to understand.

>>145603624
I just like vanilla nethack: though it has its share of issues it's a solid experience. I've heard good things about nethack4 though.
>>
>tfw you find a vending machine

Guess I'll be on a liquid diet for the next month.
>>
>>145603325
Just like IRL
>>
>>145603613
Dildzillion of commits

If you don't care about the history, you can try cloning only the most recent revision.
>>
>>145604868
I just meant the sheer size of the repo itself.
DCSS takes a long time to clone too since it has a huge number of commits, but CDDA's source is like 0.7gb or seomthing.
>>
>>145604745
Well yeah, but IRL you aren't depending on a full night's sleep so that your zombie bites and bullet wounds can disappear.
>>
File: solar.png (45 KB, 800x593) Image search: [Google]
solar.png
45 KB, 800x593
Bought a amulet with summon monsters at the black market, which is good for scumming up good mounts.

Finally I can fly to zul and lonely mountain.
>>
>>145605218
700 mb is just the .git directory.
Sources are 11 mb, data is 18 mb, gfx is 45 and language data is 45.

You can clone just the last revision with some git fuckery and then it should be less than 200 mb total.
>>
I been playing DCSS nonstop for a week now and I can't tell if im doing something wrong or I just have strenuously bad luck. Some situations I know I could've used 'x' potion or teleport out of the place. Although it gives me unavoidable situations, like my recent playthrough.

My Draconian barbarian managed to luck out and get a full set of armor plus enchantments early game. Yet, I run into a pair of orcs with one of them apparently workshipped a God(which I didn't even know it was impossible for a mob to do) and use Smite to kill me in 2 hits.
>>
>Your demonic ancestry asserts itself...
>Your feet have mutated into hooves!
>Your +2 pair of boots of running falls away!
>>
>>145605946
>Although it gives me unavoidable situations
No, you're just learning.
>>
>>145605946
Orc Priests (the green ones) always worship a god and can always SMITE for up to 17 damage.

The important thing in DCSS is recognizing when you see a dangerous enemy and running away from them BEFORE the fight goes sour.
>>
>>145605946
>unavoidable
I'll agree with you that this happens, if only when you still haven't gotten a good grasp of the game yet. You probably encountered an orc priest, they can target you as long as you are in their range of vision without needing to ever get close to you. You should wait them around a corner out of their sight to avoid damage, and once they appear in front of you you start hitting them.

There are some themed enemies who worship gods, like those orc priests (Beogh) or profane servitors (Yredelemnul) for example.
>>
>>145606206
Yeah, but Orc Priests didn't cast Smite before and I even used a haste potion to escape, but I guess they can kill me off screen once I see them chanting.
>>
>>145605946

Priests? They smite from LOS. Get out of LOS.

You're likely doing tons of things wrong which, as you play more, you'll learn to stop doing. The first lesson you learn is that not fighting something is perfectly OK, and more often than not running away or leading single enemies back into controlled spaces is always a good idea.

I've ascended a number of times and I still make the mistake of fighting when I shouldn't. Usually out of boredom at this point.
>>
>>145605946
>>145606346
Also, remember that you can press 'x' to examine elements on the screen. Hovering over a monster tells you what they are and what they are wielding, and pressing 'v' over them shows a screen describing pretty much everything you would want to know about that particular monster (spells, abilities, movement speed, if they fly, if they can see you while you are invisible, etc.).
>>
>>145606487
Orc Priests can always cast smite, but they might use one of their other 3 spells instead.

And in DCSS nothing can kill you from off screen. Unless it poisoned you or something while it was still in view.
>>
>>145606346
>or profane servitors (Yredelemnul)
BRING BACK DEATH KNIGHT BACKGROUND!
>>
>>145606030
>>145606346
>>145606578
>>145606583

Yeah that's what I love about the game so far is how the difficulty and unexpected scenarios raise so fast, that it punishes for feeling too confident. Most gameplays, I don't realize my mistake until it reviews my item list.
>>
>>145606650

BRING BACK MOUNTAIN DWARF
>>
>>145607294
BRING BACK LAVA ORC, BRING BACK CRUSADERS, BRING BACK HEALER ALONGSIDE WITH ELVYION PIETY/EXPERIENCE FROM PACIFYING ENEMIES!

but dont bring back distill potion and evaporate because that shit was legit op
level 2 meph clouds god damn that stuff was broken
>>
>>145606650
>>145607294
RIP Sludge Elves
>>
>>145607474

Wouldn't have been OP if it had just procced 1-tile clouds, like fire breath, making it only useful in corridors.
>>
>>145607537
My favorite transmuter race, lost forever because "too many elf races lol".

I also miss flavored items, as in dwarfish/elfish items. Sure, they didn't do shit unless you were a dorf or elf, but the little bonuses they gave if you were those races were pretty cool.
>>
>>145604149
>Mu ever starving
Next you're going to tell me our blood is blue inside of our bodies.
>>
>>145607696
If you worshiped Beogh and wore full orcish stuff you'd get like +8 AC.
>>
>>145607696
> they didn't do shit unless you were a dorf or elf
dwarf items were more resistant to corrosion and elf items had lower spellcasting penalties
>>
>>145607996
Really now? I don't remember that at all. Makes me what else I've forgotten about that was in Crawl back then.
>>
>>145608102
>Makes me
Makes me wonder.
>>
>>145608102
dwarven things were also more heavy and elven things more light.
Elven stuff also gave a slight boost to stealth, which stacked with the number of elven items worn.
>>
File: 1463389884533.png (767 KB, 592x806) Image search: [Google]
1463389884533.png
767 KB, 592x806
>trunk DDA
>every other basement is now a mini-gunstore with a guarantee to have one if not two weapon mods
>weapon mods take 0 skill to attach now
>can't ever keep the same gun though since finding mags and ammo are a dice roll
>either have to keep removing mods from guns to attach to new guns you have ammo/mags for or choose a magless gun and get slammed with one shell at a time reloads
>cars now require no skill to drive and won't serve around everywhere
>always get hit with "the wagglan gizmo refuses to work!" upon starting a vehicle
>either that or the vehicle lacks a wheel/all wheels like usual
>or it's an 80% gas/diesel 80% battery ~23% clean water ideal rig and no screwdriver is around to jumpstart it once you realize it has no keys
>even if you do jumpstart it 99% of the time it sets an alarm off
>hordes still broken and spawn huge shitloads of monsters no matter what the spawn rate is set to
food captcha STILL refuses to differenitate between a fucking burger and a sandwich
I'm not sure how to feel about any of this
>>
File: 145716417721.gif (2 MB, 708x955) Image search: [Google]
145716417721.gif
2 MB, 708x955
>>145608376
Burgers are technically sandwiches.
>>
>>145608102
>Dwarven armour provides better protection when worn by any species, though its added weight impedes spellcasting more than usual. Dwarves are protected even further, and they do not receive the additional spellcasting penalty.

>In addition, all dwarven equipment is more resistant to corrosion than normal, providing an innate 80% chance to resist corrosion on top of any enchantment bonuses.

>Elven armour is lighter than usual, so it impedes spellcasting less than other types of armour when worn by any species. Elven cloaks and boots also grant a small bonus to stealth.
And that's omitting the obvious boons if you're a dwarf/elf.
also orcish gave positive boni if you were an orc but only if you were one.
>>
>>145607252

That's basically all the challenge in DCSS, getting overconfident and accidentally killing yourself. 9/10 times I die due to boredom/not paying attention due to being overconfident.
>>
>>145608659
I mean, boredom/inattention/lack of care is almost always how characters die in roguelikes, with the exception of "oh wow that's the first time I died in that particular way"
>>
>>145608376
>told to pick chocolates
>there's a spider
>pick the spider
>it works
sasuga, captcha
>>
Remember when you could throw daggers and clubs
remember when D was 27 levels deep
remember where there was no runelock
but I also remember assgutter and item destruction
>>
>>145608930
Remember encumbrance? That fucked over Spriggans.
>>
>>145608930
Remember when wielding a cursed mace would lead to you starving to death?
Remember when hammers were a thing?
>>
>>145608973
>carrying 99 large rocks as a spriggan now has so much sense.
They could have just added a BoH item or something.
That would have saved item destruction from just being "lol you get it in zot because dracs have cloaks"
>>
>DsMo
>Hooves 3, claws 3, horns 2
>Spiny 2
>Powered by death 1
>A tablord's dream
>Lose focus
>Splat
erry tiem
>>
>>145608930
Remember victory dancing and needing to carve chunks with a boot knife that could also be cursed?

Remember METALBAWXES: THE BRANCH?

Oldcrawl wasn't even close to the pinnacle of design that nostalgiatards make it out to be.
>>
Remember every single fish enemy ever
remember thorn lotuses
no wait those were awful
>>
Is there a list somewhere for monster's evolution line in PCB? I'd like to know the jelly's in particular.
>>
>>145609229
I can't even remember how the old exp/skill training system exactly worked, but I do remember lots and lots of pillardancing in order to raise the right skills. It was awful.

But hoarding food as a mummy and saccing everything to nemelex for decks of wonder, and spamming those for SOMUCHEXP was cool though. I clearly remember the yugioh mummy phase /rlg/ went through. It was cool.
>>
Remember that all versions have their ups and downs and that's okay
but they really really became too straightforward past .15
crawl <.15 is a differnt game from crawl >.15
>>
>>145609206
>monstruous Ds
to the trash it goes!
>>
>>145609531
Not even monstrous as i'm playing .17, i just happened to get all three
>>
>>145608731

Yeah but with DCSS it's much more grindy. Maybe I have just been playing for too long but it feels like other roguelikes kill you for having bad strategy rather than overconfidence.
>>
>>145609441
but most versions definitely, definitely have downs
>>
File: booze.png (181 KB, 553x529) Image search: [Google]
booze.png
181 KB, 553x529
>>145608376
>>
>>145609697
eh, I think if you bang out enough Nethack or Poschengband you'll find it's pretty similar, once you're past the still-learning stage

but yes DCSS is the only game that makes you want to stab yourself in the eyes without autoexplore/tab so there's definitely something there. In other roguelikes I find that correct exploration pattern matters a lot more and is more interesting.
>>
>>145609531

I love monstrous Ds with UC. Crazy damage output.
>>
Just won another ruk caster
>>
>>145608493
who is this semen demon
>>
File: downs.jpg (68 KB, 884x800) Image search: [Google]
downs.jpg
68 KB, 884x800
>>145609441
>>145609709
>>
>buy an amulet that activates for identify to free up some slots
>eating it and casting the spell crashes the game like half the time
Okay.

>>145609404
Probably not besides looking it up in the source files. You'd want race_jelly.c
>>
>>145609697

Having ascended every species of CK and a bunch of others (i.e. I have played too hours of this dumb game) the thing that gets me killed nowadays is just wanting the next mob of enemies dead right now so I can move on to the fleeting dopamine hit of collecting the next rune.

Boredom is the mind killer in DCSS more than any other RL simply because most RLs aren't boring in the same way. I got bored of Nethack not because the game doesn't give you enough interesting situations to escape from, but because I was tired of the same old ascension kit collection end game.
>>
>>145609697
I know what you mean.
By the time I'm halfway through Lair I tend to lose interest in the character.
You've made it through the dangerous early game, things are more stable, you can see where your character is headed and how you can branch out from there. The dangerous portion of the game is over, now the tedium begins.
Orc.
Yay let's stairdance until we've killed all the smiters and summoners and taborcs.
Fucking, shoals and swamp. Obnoxious water-filled branches. It's just so fucking annoying. Not even hard, just plain annoying.
Spider/snake. Fucking. Spiders. Stop fucking jumping you cunts. Stand still and let me kill you. It's not hard, it's just tedious. Snake isn't hard either, it's just tedious.
Everything post-early game isn't hard but just incredibly god damn tedious.
Vaults are just annoying and a bother. It's such a hassle to get through.
Abyss isn't even hard either, it's also just tedious and annoying. Let me just o and tab (or z+whatever) until I've managed to find a fucking staircase and eventually find the rune like 30 minutes later.

It's all just so tedious.

Extended I can't say much about though.
>>
File: d2442.jpg (103 KB, 480x373) Image search: [Google]
d2442.jpg
103 KB, 480x373
>>145610052
>You'd want race_jelly.c
I found it now, thanks man.
>>
>>145609982
https://vimeo.com/113761700
>>
>>145609982
meme girl
>>
>>145609853
>if you bang out enough Nethack or Poschengband

>the anon I'm talking to is making a point about game being too pointlessly long and grindy
>I know! I'll bust out a couple of examples of even more long and grindy games, surely that means it's okay!

anon pls

you can do better
>>
>>145610364
picking a *band and a *hack as lenses to look at another roguelike is not so strange
>>
>>145610232

Hell is more engaging just because the effects plus tough enemies makes for some harrowing situations if you're not cheesing it with TSO.

Pan is Abyss minus wacky walls, plus unique bosses.

Tomb is a breeze with Necromut and tedious without.

Zig is actually some of the most fun I have in DCSS because it's fast, unpredictable, and there's more room to try out different strats. Unfortunately you have to play through the whole game to get there. Sometimes I just play Zigsprint but it's not the same.
>>
>>145608376
>>always get hit with "the wagglan gizmo refuses to work!" upon starting a vehicle
>>either that or the vehicle lacks a wheel/all wheels like usual
>>or it's an 80% gas/diesel 80% battery ~23% clean water ideal rig and no screwdriver is around to jumpstart it once you realize it has no keys
>>even if you do jumpstart it 99% of the time it sets an alarm off
That's actually intended because only a retard would leave a working vehicle during a zombie apocalypse instead of using it to get the fuck out.
>>
>>145610738
>Necromut
First time I used that it made Hell and Tomb more of a walk in the park than Lair already is
>>
>>145610326
god damn
>>
Remember when playing a Nemelex worshipper was a rollercoaster of fun with infinite decks pouring out of your ass faster you could use them
Remember when Makhleb used mana and gave both mana and health so spellcasters could worship him
Remember when Vehumet wasn't Shithumet
Remember when you could play a dwarf that wasn't a retarded gimmic meme race
Remember when you could throw potions, learn spells to mutate yourself, infinitely relearn your spells and do other things that are too fun for the devs
>>
>>145611239
Playing extended with a DD gave me crippling anxiety.

>tfw getting tormented for a good chunk of your health that WON'T regenerate naturally
>tfw this would sometimes happen several times per floor
>tfw playing hybrid so I didn't want to see my precious MP go
>>
>>145611489
Always go Makhleb. Always. Preferably with lichform
>>
>>145611239
Didn't Vehumet used to gift books as well?
>>
>>145608376
>DDA

literally stopped reading right there

granade if you're reading this neck yourself

whales if you're reading this the same goes for you

coolthulu for president
>>
>>145612320

Why does everyone hate the devs? Is it because they want to like the game but it ends up being shit? That's how it went for me.
>>
>>145612441
>Why does everyone hate the devs?
Colossal overentitlement
>>
>>145610364
>Hi I'm 15 and have never won in any roguelike and have only ever played DCSS! Please disregard my opinion!
>>
>>145612251
Yeah he gave actual good books, his bonuses and piety gain supported summoning and he had more bonuses too.
>>
>>145612043
this though
my only win was a DD of makh, and picked up lich for the final runes
gg ez
>>
>>145612583

>you're entitled if you criticize my shitty game

Oh, you're one of THOSE people then.
>>
File: hydraslayer.jpg (212 KB, 1846x1028) Image search: [Google]
hydraslayer.jpg
212 KB, 1846x1028
Thanks Oka, but I don't think I should slay hydrae with this.
At least the -3 dex doesn't hamper my already skewered evasion because I'm wearing plate with only 16 STR.
>>
>>145613438
>what's that thing with hydras again
>something to do with fire
>do they breathe fire or something?
>yeah that sounds right
>let's get some rF on that sword and send it down
>>
>>145613438
>>145613658
kek
>>
File: Papa Xom's.jpg (29 KB, 429x510) Image search: [Google]
Papa Xom's.jpg
29 KB, 429x510
>>145613438

>hydraslayer
>freeze
>>
>>145612320
people are too mean to whales. He actually did make a decent game once.

Granade just took Cataclysm and amped up the bad design aspects.
>>
>>145612441
Perceived laziness and poor prioritization. Also forum drama, though there's been a lot less of that ever since KA101 killed himself.
>>
>>145614313
Is this a thing that happened?
>>
>playing a vampire
>merfolk avatar tries throwing its retarded souls at you
my sides
>>
>>145613438
And then he gave me a triple sword of holy wrath.
I think Oka wants me to do extended.
Here's to hoping I don't splat in shoals/snake. I always splat in these exact branches.
>>
>>145614313

Did he really kill himself? He was the SJW one right? I remember goin to the forums a few times to read the stories and someone claimed that using the word "bitch" scared off females and that's the reason more males used the forum. Fucking psycho.
>>
File: d2562.gif (2 MB, 550x250) Image search: [Google]
d2562.gif
2 MB, 550x250
>>145615224
Holy shit what a fucking faggot.
>>
Would it be awful if an outdoorsy roguelike had DDA-style vehicles but:

1. You could only drive in cardinal directions, with some sideways drift.
2. You were limited to predefined chassis shapes.
3. The vehicle's exterior walls wouldn't take up extra tiles, so e.g. a small car would be 2x4 tiles instead of 4x6.
>>
File: sling.png (2 KB, 702x21) Image search: [Google]
sling.png
2 KB, 702x21
>sling
fucking hell
>>
>>145616004
That's a really good sling though. Somewhere a halfling hunter is crying.
>>
>>145616004
>of infinite pain
I love these randart names.
>>
File: priests.png (381 KB, 1510x810) Image search: [Google]
priests.png
381 KB, 1510x810
Why are there so many fucking priests

I actually had to use Apocalypse on a bunch of priests who appeared together, and I'm talking 6 or more which snowballed to about 10. They were smiting me to fine dust and healing each other
>>
File: r2oWkMj.gif (1 MB, 371x209) Image search: [Google]
r2oWkMj.gif
1 MB, 371x209
>Cataclysm DDA experimental
>trying to re-fit a piece of clothing
>you damage your utility vest!
>you repair your utility vest!
>your tool does not have enough charges to do that.

Is level 4 tailoring just not enough to re-fit clothing anymore? Also earlier in the day my character literally fucked up making a cup of tea, and somehow also wasted two cans of soda trying to make spezi. I think he suffers from infomercial levels of incompetence.
>>
>>145616216
>Why are there so many fucking priests
Because Orc:2
>>
>>145615558

Why only cardinal directions? So that the cars don't look weird when turning? That's what I don't like about the cars, can even tell what's going on. Maybe they could fix it by having cars be made up of # only on the outside but if you hover over them or something you can see the interior.
>>
>>145616216
Because you're not fighting them one at a time.
>>
>>145616216
>giant club with speed
You lucker dog piece of shit.
>>
so i might get back into DDA but i've only played 0.C, no experimental builds

should i go for a current build? how much greater are they than 0.C
>>
File: it's just too complicated.png (25 KB, 489x161) Image search: [Google]
it's just too complicated.png
25 KB, 489x161
>>145616252
>Is level 4 tailoring just not enough to re-fit clothing anymore?
It depends on more than just skill now. Your sewing tool quality, whether you know the recipe (if there even is one) and it's level for whatever you're trying to repair, how damaged the item is, probably dex or something.
>>
>>145616441
Do I look like a formicid to you

The whole level's hollowed out, there's no space to break LoS
>>
>>145616252
It tells you the percentage chance that you'll succeed or damage your clothes. If it's showing you a 0% success chance, you probably shouldn't do it.
>>
File: drfej.png (22 KB, 800x459) Image search: [Google]
drfej.png
22 KB, 800x459
First time playing CDDA.

Was there an /rlg/ blacklist of some sort going around? The pasta was last updated a year ago and I figured some stupid item blacklists would have to be changed.
>>
>>145616916

Stairs, bruh.
>>
>>145617045
>those item exclusions
Fucking why.
>>
>>145608376
>cars now require no skill to drive and won't serve around everywhere
Good riddance. The swerving was just annoying.
Driving skill now affects vehicle turning speed. If you stick to the roads and open fields and slow down to turn, you won't ever need it, but getting the skill up really helps with maneuvering in tight spaces. Just like in real world.

I use legacy captcha because it lets me tab to the captcha field and post without having to reach for the mouse.
>>
>>145617137
Because they sound stupid.
>>
>>145617146

I haven't played DDA but how do cars work? Is it still turn-based or does it shift into real time?
>>
>>145617045
>"I hate fun" starter pack
>>
>>145616212
The only pain it's going to cause is that it's so useless for me
>>
File: d2041.png (211 KB, 286x272) Image search: [Google]
d2041.png
211 KB, 286x272
>>145617235
>>
>>145616391
Mostly because it looks weird, especially with tile graphics. Partly because it makes it much less difficult to predict what spaces your vehicle will occupy when you turn.

The thin exterior is so small vehicles can be genuinely small, and narrow vehicle pathways like alleys and two-lane streets can still be cramped.
>>
>having to flee shamefully from a level because your mount dropped and mana bolted you down to 20 hp
Just ring things.

Thankfully I got the quest completed first since there's no way I could kill that solar.
>>
File: 1450032222922.jpg (219 KB, 1273x1024) Image search: [Google]
1450032222922.jpg
219 KB, 1273x1024
>>145617045
>generic guns
>>
>>145617659
>napkin on head
wat
>>
>>145617045
This is a player of refined tastes who understands that less can be more.
>>
>female characters can't be a groom
I wonder if they would change this if I reported it.
>>
Crawl question:
How big of a deal would wearing an item with stealth-- be?
I've got stealth skill at 9, but % states that I've got 0 pips of stealth. Would wearing this item make things worse? It's a cloak that would give me much needed evasion (+4), rElec, and and rC+
>>
>>145616910
>>145616998

I was using good quality tools (tailor's kit) but he just kept fucking up, although I totally missed the percentage rate display somehow.

Yeah, level 4 tailoring isn't anywhere near enough to re-fit most items now. Arses.
>>
>>145618201
No, there's no such thing as negative stealth.
>>
>>145618273
That's excellent, thank you.
>>
>>145618201
Stealth is of low importance compared to other stats if you're not stabbing.
>>
File: [current year intensifies].png (113 KB, 763x652) Image search: [Google]
[current year intensifies].png
113 KB, 763x652
>>145618181
DDA? I'm sure they would.
>>
stop talking about CDDA
>>
>>145617297
Yeah, it's turn based. You move a set amount of tiles every turn, depending on your speed, to the direction the car is facing. The car can face directions other than cardinal, and is skewed to approximate rotation on the tile grid. It looks visually ugly, but works pretty well all things considered.
>>
>>145618535
How hard is it not to crash into things? Are you forced to drive slowly if you don't want to be crashing into stuff all the time? I'm having a difficult time imagining how driving and steering would work in regards to speed.
>>
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/17185
>clothes taken off zombies will be considered dirty, text colored brown in inventory
>any character wearing these clothes will take morale penalties, squeamish trait users cannot wear them at all
>can craft a washboard to wash dirty clothes with, made out of a two-by-four using a cutting tool
>needs to be supplied with soap to use, and requires 10 liters of clean water per wash
Neat.
>>
File: htorr.png (17 KB, 800x459) Image search: [Google]
htorr.png
17 KB, 800x459
>>145617368
>>145617659
I'm going to have fun getting reamed with or without the damned bloat and you can't stop me.
>>
File: d2667.jpg (100 KB, 988x437) Image search: [Google]
d2667.jpg
100 KB, 988x437
>>145618839
>takes martial arts
>complains about bloat
Stop.
>>
>>145618772
Cars are OP in Cataclysm, so you don't have to go slow so much as you have to resist the temptation to go really fast.
>>
File: advice.jpg (152 KB, 1604x464) Image search: [Google]
advice.jpg
152 KB, 1604x464
I've reached a point where I have to decide on which weapon skill to train, and I'm too inexperienced to know with which I should go.
Okawaru has gifted me a +8 Triple Sword of Holy Wrath. But Orc:2 has a Triple Crossbow that I could purchase with the last of my gold, and I have a scroll of brand weapon on me.
Long Blades is at 14, Crossbows skill is at 10.

As I've never bothered with ranged combat, nor with long blades in the past (Hydras scare me and so I've always gone for M&F/polearms) I'm rather clueless as to how to proceed with building my character.

I've cleared out Lair and Orc so far, and my next available branches are Shoals and Snake.
Snake should be my next objective, right? I've got rPois but only a single potion of flight, and Shoals scares me to begin with as I've splatted there often in the past.
Are my skills fine as well? I'm not sure if I've made a grave mistake by leveling both a ranged and melee weapon school. It seems to be working out great so far because my crossbow and scimitar deal immense amounts of damage, but I'm iffy about my defences.

I'll take absolutely any advice I can get.
>>
>>145619167
You guys are the ones complaining. I'm just playing.
>>
>>145618786
>10 liters and soap
That is really comfy, but also super fucking annoying. I didn't expect to play virtual laundry simulator, but I'll probably love it because I'm dumb.
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/491510

Has anyone tried this? It's gotten me interested. Too new to find any torrents though and I'm not paying 10 bucks for a steam Roguelike.
>>
>>145618772
Not the same anon, but going moderately fast was rather difficult for me. But you eventually get the hang of it, you learn how many tiles forward you are going to be on your next action by looking at your current speed, if steering too close to other objects is going to make you crash immediately or not, and stuff like that.
>>
>>145618786
So are they only filthy if they're taken off zombies? Or do your own clothes become filthy too if you wear them for a really long time?
>>
>>145619909
You're doing "immense amounts of damage" because of the +6 slaying ring. A +5 scimitar of freezing by itself is not bad though.

You should not have trained stealth.

Training long blades is fine. I would not have trained both long blades and crossbows to that level that early. You don't have a greatsword?
>>
>>145619909
I mean you could use both the triple sword and the crossbow if you want.

You don't need flight for Snake
>>
>>145619909

My humble advice:

Triple sword is great. Hydra can be dealt with in other ways like wands (or even avoiding them completely! You didn't even roll Swamp! Huzzah!), and the chance you'll find a sword of flaming lying around at some point isn't bad. You can ditch the shield. Sword will murder everything once you get your weapon speed up.

Your defenses aren't too bad at all. Invest more in dodging later on.

You've messed up more investing in stealth than investing in crossbows, but not really that much. Once you've hit high marks on defenses, hit mindelay, and pumped the shit out of Fighting you'll find yourself looking to put XP somewhere, and crossbows is fine. Just don't forget to nab basic spells like Blink/Repel Missile if possible and get them to a functional casting rate.
>>
>>145617659
that felid tho
>>
>Ilsuiw
>can't see invisible
>Norris
>can but I'm stealthy so I just avoid him
>Jorgrun
>can't see invisible
>Saint Roka
>can't see invisible
Guess being a frail enchanter isn't too bad. But I think I'm only going to manage 3 runes out of this.
>>
>>145620736
>>145620765
>>145620807
I was told that training stealth was never a bad thing in the past, because it helps reduce the sound you make in battle or something like that? Welp.
There's an enchanted greatsword lying around on D:10 that dropped from a wight, but I figured the scimitar+shield combo would be better. Goes to show how inexperienced I am.

Isn't flight important for Shoals? I know that there's ebbs and flows, but what if some merfolk siren/avatar entrances me and I'm forced to enter the water?

One last question: Triple sword and triple crossbow both have a mindelay that you reach at 24 and 26 skill respectively. That's a big investment. Wouldn't it do more harm than good to use either weapon before then? Granted, I've got hero and finesse to ease things. But which would generally be a better choice for now?
>>
>>145620112
no
>>
>>145621242
Stealth is not a bad thing but training stealth as a melee guy wearing plate armor is bad.

+5 scimitar of freezing is good up to this point in the game. It might be better than the great sword (of freezing most likely) because of higher enchantment. They're approximately equal.
>>
>>145621242

Never say never in DCSS. Also never say always. Stealth is nice, but it's not necessary.

You'll usually want to grab and use a higher base damage weapon in your preferred category if you can, unless your skill is so low that you're attacking very slowly with it. The buckler isn't as good as more damage, chuck it.

You can use the triple sword well before you hit mindelay. Even at "average" attack speed you'll splat shit pretty handily, although if you want you can use the greatsword to float you until you're attacking at "above average." And yes, Oka's powers will be handy there too. Gotta do something with all that piety!

The crossbow won't be as useful before you get your skill up. Not because of the speed, necessarily, but because the damage and accuracy will be kind of balls. But that ring of slaying will help a lot anyway.
>>
File: this is actually quite safe.png (27 KB, 963x987) Image search: [Google]
this is actually quite safe.png
27 KB, 963x987
>>145618772
It depends on where you're driving. Roads between towns are usually open, and you can go pretty damn fast on those. Roads inside towns can be clogged with wrecked vehicles and zombie hordes, and you'll need to drive more carefully. A lot of the map is covered in open fields, basically flat grass with some shrubs and rocks, and you can drive across that as long as watch where you're going. Forests are basically unnavigable for cars, and although you might be able to get a bike through, it'll be tricky. Swamps are right out.

Driving at night is also difficult, since the light cone for vehicle headlights is quite narrow. It's easy to turn and crash into something you didn't see because it was outside your field of vision. You can install more headlights, and angle them however you wish, but if you do crash into something they're also the first thing to break.

Basically, if you're trying to fit a four-tile car into a four-tile opening, you'll have to drive very slowly, but that's rarely necessary. Usually, you'll be using a car to cross the long, empty distances, and getting on foot when you find something interesting.
>>
>I have put more and more thought into it and decided that Cataclysm does not work well as a console game. It might make a good FPS but that’s beyond my means to work on as a solo dev.

>the best way to make Cataclysm is to make it the 99 millionth crafting-oriented survival game that's come out in the past two years
>>
>>145622185
A big reason to play on desert test is because you get to go sanic speed at all times in your death buggy.
>>
So is Cataclysm 2 just not playable on Windows? I went to github and downloaded "Cataclysm2_master" but I can't even find an exe to start up the game.
>>
File: d2205.gif (822 KB, 600x366) Image search: [Google]
d2205.gif
822 KB, 600x366
>>145623032
>Cataclysm 2
So instead of fixing the shitheap that is DDA he just makes a new one?
>>
>>145623032
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you downloaded the source
>>
So how do I thread a needle in CDDA?
Also how do I select an item to cut up which is on the ground or carrying, but out of capacity?
>>
>>145623232
How fucking new are you?
>>
>>145623350
>>145623350
In the inventory, press whatever glyph the needle has assigned to it and hit R to reload it with thread. Use B to butcher/dissemble whatever is on the ground.

>>145623032
>Cataclysm 2
>>
Did anyone notice that the roguelite general died last month? Their last thread was almost 3 weeks ago and it didn't have any responses
>>
>>145623232
Whales doesn't make DDA, he made (and subsequently abandoned) Cataclysm 1. DDA is just Cataclysm 1 with an official unofficial "'"""""""devteam"""""""""" picking up where Whales left off.

>>145623350
>How do I thread a needle
"r"eload

>How do I cut up something on the ground
"B"utcher
>>
>>145623526
They don't have something like Crawl that would keep it alive.
>>
>>145623526
Algerian death curse can only be appeased by actual roguelikes.
>>
>>145623485
I don't follow/play DDA you faggot.
>>
>>145623665
Well, they didn't have a designated game that they all reverted to in times of famine, but some of the games discussed there were probably more popular than the whole roguelike genre put together
>>
>>145623516
Thanks.
>>
>>145623772
>Tries to be snarky about something he knows nothing about and ends up on his face
>Gets called out on it by anon
>"f-faggot!"

kek
>>
>>145623772
>getting aggressive because you're so incredibly new
>>
>>145622382
What?
>>
>>145623913
>>145623914
Right. It's my first day and I just got here from Reddit.
>>
>>145624058
It's from Whales' Tumblr.
>>
Also how do I unwield something without an assigned letter?
>>
>>145623825
I doubt that. They'd make their own general for any truly popular fauxglikes.
>>
>>145624249
scroll over to it with the arrow keys and press Enter
>>
>>145624249
Wield something else or drop it. When you're navigating your inventory menu, tap 4 to switch between your inventory and equipped inventory. After that you can just hit enter to look at all the stuff you can do with your wielded item.
>>
It turns out +46 speed is enough to acid ball smaug to death.

This guy has no resists so he's kind of squishy, though.
>>
>>145624270
Anon roguelikes are one of the most obscure genres, which as far as we know only a few thousand people at any given time play, whereas something like Binding of Isaac was ridiculously popular before being re-released and becoming one of the best sold titles in Steam

4chan does not represent the whole world. And besides, there'd been 2-3 generals for specific roguelites before their communities waned enough for /lite/ to be needed
>>
>>145624720
To drive my point further, this general is easliy in the top 3 most active communities for the whole genre and we usually reach about 80 unique IPs at most

Heck we're over 200 posts in and there's only 36 guys talking
>>
Has anyone ever planted blueberry/strawberry in cata? I finally found some seeds for them, so I can have a dank little berry farm with a weed patch. Does it make the usual farm mound things, or actual bushes?
>>
>>145624945
>Does it make the usual farm mound things, or actual bushes?
The former
>>
new to Catac here.

I got bit by a zombie several times, how can I see my wounds?
>>
>>145624720
Yes but when their game-specific general wanes they're no longer more popular than the entire roguelike genre, and they don't fit into a combined general because they have very little in common. It's like lumping XCOM in with Call of Duty because they're both about soldiers with guns.
>>
>>145625107
@, under the effects category, for active bite wounds. Otherwise, you'll see your health bars decrease in the upper right hand corner of the HUD.
>>
File: jypww.png (9 KB, 802x459) Image search: [Google]
jypww.png
9 KB, 802x459
I found a moose.
>>
>>145624591
>Smaug the Golden shouts, "How heroic! That was very harmonious."
>>
>>145625197
great thx.

It seems the guy is just chilly.
>>
>>145625204
Try to stay away from those. They aren't as bad as they used to be (they used to always aggro on sight, now they'll only attack if you get close or if they're wounded) but they're still dangerous as hell.
>>
>>145625159
Roguelites are generally much alike, actually. There's some outliers but that's not any different than people arguing if something like Cata should be considered a roguelike

And again, more people play shit like Isaac and FTL than all roguelikes combined. It's just that almost none of them come to 4chan, whereas roguelikes are so dead the fucking 4chan general is one of the quickest places to discuss roguelikes
>>
File: Capture.png (12 KB, 639x349) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12 KB, 639x349
Well shit.
>>
>>145625630
Why were you quaff-IDing on PCB
>>
>>145625630
>there's a tiger named Hobbes

that's cute
>>
>>145625726
It was in a pinch man.
>>
>>145625812
It's just that the whole situation could have been avoided if you had some tele and recall scrolls
>>
>Caveman start in DDA trunk doesn't actually give you Illiterate and you can somehow still start with Penjat Silat and craft a cudgel to blow the fuck out of literally everything you come across
Cavemen along with 14th centurt Scots can interact with modern technology without a hassle too. Who knew?
>>
>>145625919
I was scrounging the floor for early game money and I was just about to recall, just got done with warg quest.
>>
File: dumped.png (59 KB, 803x594) Image search: [Google]
dumped.png
59 KB, 803x594
At least we did lonely mountain before he tried to kill me.

I hope he can't follow teleport level. He has the spell, so I assume he can't.
>>
>>145625204
>peperony and chease
>>
>>145626072
I don't think anything can follow teleport level.

Do tell if I'm wrong though!
>>
>>145625513
>Roguelites are generally much alike, actually.
There are more differences between BoI and FTL than between any two of the popular /rlg/ roguelikes.

Roguelites don't form a coherent genre. There are lite platformers (catakids), zelda-likes (BoI), real time tactics (FTL), real time approximation of a roguelike (necrodancer).
It's more of a label than a genre.
>>
>>145625513
They're really not. FTL doesn't play anything like Binding of Isaac, which is likewise unlike Spelunky.

A thread about a specific type of game might work, such as only platformers. But a thread about every pretend roguelike doesn't have a common thread of interest.
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 637x345) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 637x345
>from thieves quest
I love being lucky because this will come in handy for you-know-who.
>>
>>145625513
Cata is more of an optional permadeath crafting-oriented zombie survival game like the million other optional permadeath crafting-oriented zombie survival games except it has ASCII for the tileset.
>>
File: rlg.png (71 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
rlg.png
71 KB, 661x716
>>145626870
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 150

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.