[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rlg/ - Roguelike General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 180
File: 1458496489901.png (1001 KB, 1906x837) Image search: [Google]
1458496489901.png
1001 KB, 1906x837
Infra Arcana 18.1 released
https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/

New Angband Competition(Rune-Based ID test branch)
http://angband.oook.cz/competition.php

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: http://pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: http://pastebin.com/exGzfx2D

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
http://roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
http://pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Last thread
>>135716995
>>
File: 1458417389759.png (6 KB, 244x183) Image search: [Google]
1458417389759.png
6 KB, 244x183
ded thred ded general hail satan and spelunky
>>
I suggest renaming this general to /rlg/ - rougelite general in order to increase posters.

We can let roguelites be discussed along roguelikes in order to bring in new people.
>>
>>135974937
Suggestion rejected, sorry.
>>
>>135975082
Well enjoy your thread dying, the Reddit Army could have saved you..
>>
I really enjoy DCSS and want to try out a new roguelike, whats a good roguelike that is like it?
Or is there one that is different and even better?
>>
>>135978140
>good roguelike that is like it
>different and even better
LINLEY'S DUNGEON CRAWL
>>
>>135978140
Angband or Dynahack.
>>
>>135978140
DOOMRL
Infra Arcana, IA might be a bit 2hard though
>>
Any news on cracked steam version of Adom?
>>
>>135979103
>go to KAT
>search up Ancient Domains of Mystery
>see if there's a torrent
That's the most news you'll get on it.
>>
Guys, seriously now
>>
>>135981954
Seriously what?
>>
>>135979103
>pirate ADOM
>yeah it's pretty okay I guess
>ascend with a dwarf healer and slowly lose interest
>delete the game and forget about it
>wake up one night to a Krieghoff shotgun pressed against my mouth
>look up to see Thomas Biskup standing naked over my bed
>"You forgot to send a postcard."
>>
These new IA change are great, but can we also reduce the chance of getting rekt by snakes ambushing you out of thin air?
>>
>making a new thread
lmao
>>
>>135982508
What class are you playing that you are having trouble with the snake ambushes?

I like them, even though I've gotten fucked by them a couple times.
>>
File: what do.png (421 KB, 1903x1123) Image search: [Google]
what do.png
421 KB, 1903x1123
What should I use the scrolls of enchantment on?

The ring of transference, the teleportation charm or the rapier?
>>
>>135987261
Definitely not the rapier, it slays 100% of the time regardless of enchantment.

Supposedly a highly enchanted teleport charm is a game winning item but I've never tried it.
>>
>>135988381
well he needs a weapon for general hitdudes not just for abomination slaying
>>
>>135988381
>>135987261
The charm, when fully enchanted gets you an at-will teleport, which is incredibly useful.
>>
>>135987261
I'd go with the charm or the ring.

A weapon of slaying doesn't need to be beyond +0 to be useful since it's guaranteed to hit that it slays 100% of the time. I suggest finding a new main weapon and keeping the rapier around. The +3 it has could be useful if you find a commutation altar.
>>
File: SHIIIIIT.png (292 KB, 1904x1126) Image search: [Google]
SHIIIIIT.png
292 KB, 1904x1126
Well fuck, I died because a goblin stepped on a paralysis trap and the summoned blades cut me up while I was taking a nap.

I should've just used the teleportation charm as soon as he stepped on the trap.
>>
>>
>>135982207
I'd send a postcard though biskup's mailslot if you know what I mean
no I wouldn't
he's ugly as hell
>>
>>135990296
we need a new tourney.
LOIE challenge?
>>
File: Cranial_Archive.jpg (246 KB, 819x600) Image search: [Google]
Cranial_Archive.jpg
246 KB, 819x600
>Tfw Yred passes you a note in the dungeon when Papa Kiku ain't watchin'
>>
So, how do you guys usually manage your skills based on background, race, mid/end game build, situation, and so on in DCSS?

I feel like I'm either spreading them out too thin or hard focusing too much and forgetting things like evocation, shields, and dodge.
>>
>>135998127
I usually focus offense -> defense -> offense (until you have enough, know when you have enough) -> focus dat defense more -> THIS IS WHEN YOU SPLASH OTHER SKILLS.

Example with a kobold melee dude:
Start -> LB 8 -> Fighting 5 -> LB 10 -> Fighting 8 -> LB 12 -> Fighting 10 -> Dodging 4 -> Armor 4 -> Shields 4 -> LB 16 -> Dodging 10 -> Fighting 15 -> Splash dem other skills like stealth, evocations or take some spell levels.

Now lets make this a kobold melee dude of PAKELLAS. Its mostly the same, we take that same core and cut down on other investments. You can actually 15 rune with only the bare minimum of a weapon skill, so it isn't that bad.

Start -> LB 8 -> Fighting 5 -> LB 12 -> Evocations 5 -> Dodging 4 -> Armor 4 -> Shields 4 -> LB 16 -> Dodging 10 -> Fighting 10 -> Evocations 20 or until you need exp in other shit.

For a little reference, early game for these builds will end at around the LB 10-12 mark, Lair will end around the point you start investing Fighting to not die. Obviously, this is just an example and you want to change how you invest on the fly since certain things will change what you want.
>>
>>135999231
I don't agree with this, but that isn't the point.

See, here's the one weird trick crawl devs don't want you to know: you can basically skill every character the same once you find something that works for you.

So die a lot, and when you eventually win you'll quickly know how to win everything else.
>>
Who are the best card-slingers? Stealthy or beefyx dudes?
I've wanted to try a "pure" evo Nemelex char for the longest time, but it seems quite difficult to pull off.
>>
>>135999553
That is the other thing. Once you learn how to skill a melee guy, you know where you can skimp based on what items you have and where you can invest to get extra power in other areas. The sad truth is you can essentially build every character the same for most backrounds. For those builds where you can't do that, you scoot by on the seat of your pants by being tacticool or let something carry you until your offenses come online. That build is how I skill most of my melee characters, though in that example its very simplified and you don't get to adapt it to your gear. If we took it to its natural conclusion, you'd have a dex based character with a double sword/shield wearing a FDA/IDA that can cast haste/silence/blink/Dmissile. Literally everytime that I'm able, barring items that change the build. Mages follow a different start, but often start to look like this melee build towards the ass end of the midgame. Crawl is all about learning a playstyle that suits you and knowing how to build it when the pieces are all mixed up. It gets even easier if you do UC melee, since you're guaranteed every item you need to make it work.
>>
>>135990545
I like this idea. LOIE. No melee of any kind, no evokables, no scrolls - pretend you're always highest temperature - just spells, fighting, and the like.
>>
Jesus fuck. Stop being dead.
>>
>>135999912
spriggan is the best at everything that doesn't involve a hunger cost

Unfortunately they won't be able to make too much use of rods because of the hunger costs. Inacc is the only one with a low-enough spell level that you can mostly eliminate hunger costs (at 15 evo).
>>
>>136003948
actually I think rod of lightning is level 2 so you can probably use that for no hunger cost too

the bigger rods have high enough hunger costs that they're probably only worth using as "oh shit!" buttons.

good thing cards don't have mana costs. sp^pak would suck but sp^nem is good
>>
>>136004182
Minimum hungercost on rods is ####. You cannot go lower.
>>
>>136004354
hunger cost works the same as spell hunger, except it's reduced by 10*evocations instead of int*spellcasting.

So the 6-mana rods have 550 base hunger and can only go down to ####... at 27 evo.

But low-level rods (inacc is level 3 and lightning is level 2) can be reduced to the minimum of 10 hunger.
>>
however I'm not sure if the second zap of lightning is more hungering since it costs 5 mana instead of 2
>>
>>136004605
>>136004752
That is really neat. I never realized, and I've done max evocations ascensions.
>>
>>136005610

it only really matters for spriggan

rods have few enough charges that a single one is never enough to actually bring you down to starving, although eventually with a big enough golfbag you could maybe have problems
>>
File: bang.png (146 KB, 1324x705) Image search: [Google]
bang.png
146 KB, 1324x705
>keep hearing a BANG! sound
>can't see a turret or anything
>it keeps happening
>kinda spooky
It was some car that the zombies almost destroyed the engine in.
>>
>>136006409
Zombies sometimes get stuck like that on cars with loud engines or sirens. They'll keep bashing it until its completely destroyed. You can actually set these up if you trigger some sirens and park it somewhere with a zombo population. Its like ant death spirals.
>>
File: A new system for roguelikes.jpg (16 KB, 610x74) Image search: [Google]
A new system for roguelikes.jpg
16 KB, 610x74
What's better in Brogue, a ring of regeneration or a ring of transference?
>>
>>136007645
Regeneration 90% of the time.
The other 10% of the time you have a +6 waraxe or a +8 broadsword.
>>
>>136007645
Transference also works with a weapon of paralysis as long as the weapon is enchanted enough for good proc rate.
>>
>>136008794
>>136010187
Another thing.

Is there any reason to enchant a non-runic weapon you already have enough strenght to use?
>>
>>136010630
It increases the damage and accuracy.
>>
>>136010630
It does more damage and is more accurate, but I don't think it's worth it unless you are doing a melee build (the hardest kind to me).
>>
File: truthorlie.jpg (28 KB, 1400x58) Image search: [Google]
truthorlie.jpg
28 KB, 1400x58
Is this ghost speaking the truth?
>>
>>136012156
>not playing online
>>
>>136012371
The last time I've tried playing online it was laggy as fuck and some actions were bound to a different key, which both is annoying.
Also I'm really terrible.
>>
File: dog.png (22 KB, 466x161) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
22 KB, 466x161
Goes docile, right.

How do I actually complete the "find my dog" mission? I have the dog adjacent to the npc and 'C'hat -> can I do anything for you doesn't let me turn it in. Still shows up as active on the mission list, too.
>>
>>136012597
Don't listen to the online-only retards.
The only reasons to play online are:
>community participation(i.e. tournaments)
>bragging (see above also)
>getting help from spectators
>more statistics on your games
>>
File: Dnd.png (11 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Dnd.png
11 KB, 512x512
Hi guys, new guy here.
No experience with roguelike games, I am deciding on which game to try first. My options are crawl, gearhead, nethack or cataclysm (already compiled).

I know cataclysm is hard, so I heard about crawl, but if you give me good reasons and that if I can come here asking a couple questions once in a while, I will try, I swear. Just want to have a fun time exploring.
>>
>>136015407
Cata is pretty easy once you learn how to survive one week or so, after that's it's a bit of fiddling with all the cool content/bloat in the game while in god-mode, then you get bored because there's no endgame material.

Nethack's a good choice but may be a bit much for a beginner. It's the most roguelike-y roguelike out there.

Crawl should be fine, but game design-wise it's pretty bad for too long a list of reasons.

For a game that's basically a better designed, modernized Rogue with pretty colorful ASCII, go with Brogue.

Never heard of gearhead, sorry.
>>
>>136015407
Cataclysm is garbage and only fun at the very beginning, never played gearhead, nethack is fun but requires lots of spoilers thanks to all the item interactions and unexplained-ingame things, and Crawl is easy to get into for a beginner but very boring for an experienced player.

I'd suggest starting with Crawl, or Brogue, If you really want to suffer through Nethack's learning process as a new player, download Dynahack instead; the UI is incredible.
>>
>>136015407
I don't know how hard Cata is, but Crawl isn't easy at the start, that's for sure.
It has, however, a relatively clean interface and good tiles while being more transparent and less bloated then some other RLs (nethack, cata:DDA).
Other good RLs for a beginner that wants to get into the genre are Brogue and DoomRL, with DoomRL being the easiest and Brogue the prettiest.

If you want to start with a "brutal" roguelike that's still fairly easy to learn, try Infra Arcana. Expect to die a lot, though.
>>
File: 1355640305880.png (222 KB, 463x421) Image search: [Google]
1355640305880.png
222 KB, 463x421
>>136015407
>>I know cataclysm is hard

It isn't. The Blackbelt start is Fist of the North Star. Bionic Prepper can survive alone forever. Any of the military types have good guns.

You just have to scroll through the fetish fuel and SJW snowflake starts.
>>
>>136015407
>Just want to have a fun time exploring.
Go with nethack man. It's like a Pen and Paper adventure if you're playing it unspoiled.
Read the guidebook though, for sure.
>>
>>136016135
No endgame? But you do have some good surprises out there or is repetitive?
>>136016197
The same question, why is cdda boring?
>>136016135
Great input, thanks.
>>136016268
I prefer to take it with the ones I already decided.
>>136016452
I don't know, you seem pretty informed already.
>>136016580
Looks like nethack or crawl at this time.
>>
>>136017616
>The same question, why is cdda boring?
It's not when you have no idea what you're doing and getting into crazy zombie situations. Once you've discovered all the optimal strategies it loses a lot of the replayability, though so basically like any other roguelike.
>>
>>136016452
>fetish fuel
Are you talking about the
>Experiment
>Failed/Broken Cyborg
>Clown
>Lost Submissive
>Elementary Student
>Cyberjunkie
>Bionic Monster
>Butler
>Pizza Delivery Boy/Girl
>Bionic Patient
>Survivalist Jr.
>Razor Boy/Girl
>Special Operator
>Industrial Cyborg
starts?

Of those, only the "lost submissive" start is blatant fetish fuel; all the others are only incidental fetish fuel, even the Razor Boy/Girl start is a reference to Neuromancer.
>>
>>136018085
But that means I could have the same amount of fun anyway, isn't? The difficulty level is still the only difference.
>>
>>136018884
Don't worry about what they're saying man.

When you are just learning and new to the game, it is a lot more fun.

Most people here who have played Cataclysm have played it to death and are bored of it though.

The best way of saying it is that the game does not retain challenge for highly skilled and knowledgeable players.
>>
>>136017616
The thing about cdda is that because it's open world there's no win condition, it's not like other roguelikes where you have to get to the bottom a dungeon and kill someone or steal some macguffin.

I think it's pretty fun, it's the only roguelike where you can build your own death truck and go full mad max building your own mobile base is also the best way to play because non mobile bases take more time to build and aren't as cool.

But yeah, the game lacks engame content beyond getting bionics, hunting artifacts and maybe clearing a couple of structures like labs, mines or temples.

It also has various tilesets if you don't like ASCII.
>>
File: enjoyed pudding.png (165 KB, 830x278) Image search: [Google]
enjoyed pudding.png
165 KB, 830x278
>>136018884
Yeah, I'm saying the dda is easy/boring is just a meme. Play any game to death and it'll be like that.
>>
File: ddacrawlbrogue.jpg (814 KB, 4424x980) Image search: [Google]
ddacrawlbrogue.jpg
814 KB, 4424x980
>>136018884
The biggest problem that I personally have with Cata is that its ASCII looks like absolute ass and a huge mess.
>>
>>136019076
Damn, thanks.
>>136019086
That is very appealing to me.
>>136019525
Understood.
>>
>>136019665
>comparing dcss tiles to dda ascii
This seems like not the most useful comparison.

Though I agree it has some problems, mainly that every zombie and building uses the same glyphs so they have to do weird background/foreground color combinations to distinguish them. You can also play brogue in a terminal and it's so bad with all the lighting. Worth seeing to see how much difference having more than sixteen colors matters for things like that.
>>
File: pokemaster.png (16 KB, 639x432) Image search: [Google]
pokemaster.png
16 KB, 639x432
>>136019665
Crawl image should probably look more like this for a better comparison.
>>
File: 1458513451144.gif (213 KB, 232x377) Image search: [Google]
1458513451144.gif
213 KB, 232x377
>>136020482
Yup, I think I'll go with Crawl first. Wish me luck.
>>
>>136020762
Remember to post your splats so we can help point and laugh at you.
Happy crawling.
>>
>>136020762
Easy combos for Crawl are:
>Minotaur Berserker (very strong god right from the start, your race has incredible aptitudes for melee, high HP and a really strong aux attack from innate horns 3 mutation. Minotaurs suck at everything that isn't melee, but Trog doesn't let you use magic anyways and his main ability is not at all suited to stealth)
>Spriggan Enchanter of Dithmenos (you're a very small race, meaning you need less training in Dodging for more Evasion, the best defensive stat. You get 7 magic resistance per level, the highest in the game. You also have amazing aptitudes for Charms, Hexes, Stealth, Dodging and the absolutely broken Evocations and last but not least you have innate sanic speed. Dithmenos doubles your already ridiculous Stealth and gives you an aura that reduces enemy accuracy and sometimes mimics your attacks, among others. In exchange you can't wear most armor, your aptitudes for melee suck, and you can't use fire magic or weapons of flaming.)
>Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (Deep Dwarves are an amazingly broken race, basically minotaurs without the bad bits, in exchange for not healing naturally. However, they start with one of the best wands in the game, intended to make them able to heal, and the ability to recharge wands by sacrificing a point of mana permanently. Makhleb lets you heal upon killing, so if you're careful the first few levels and aren't shy with the recharging you can become an unstopabble tab beast later on,)
>Troll Monk of Okawaru/Makhleb/Cheibriados/Whatever the fuck else (Trolls have claws 3, intrinsic regen, enormous strength and HP pools and some other stuff in exchange for sucking at everything that's not unarmed melee and not being able to wear most armor)
If you feel like playing a Spriggan who's slightly less stabby but which can wear armor, has a innate aux attack and a lot of cheesy shit with changing forms depending on hunger, play a Vampire.
>>
>>136022134
Okay?
>>136022337
Mmm, vampire, tempting.
>>
File: dynahack6.png (33 KB, 1250x750) Image search: [Google]
dynahack6.png
33 KB, 1250x750
The thread may have died, but I have not.

Speaking of which: should I eat this corpse? I can pray safely, cast Cure Sickness, and have a tinning kit besides. I could really use the +Strength.
>>
Jesus, the monkey really wanted to learn flying. I had to displace it from the spot at least 10 times.
>>
Vi-like keys? Crawl is awesome.
>>
>>136024474
>High Elf
GET OUT ELF YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE
>>
>>136024474
vi keys as an option exist in almost all roguelikes because they're geared towards keyboard-adept people
>>
>>136025464
B-but this is only the tutorial anon.
>>
>>136025917
>playing the tutorial
That's a slippery slope. Next people will start reading the pastas and wikis and even posting a complete character dump before asking questions. Where does it end? Chaos! Anarchy! Obliteration!
>>
File: every day im summoning.gif (765 KB, 500x444) Image search: [Google]
every day im summoning.gif
765 KB, 500x444
>>
>>136026407
So this isn't the best time to say I've been reading the pasta too?
>>
File: cat fortress.png (34 KB, 2699x225) Image search: [Google]
cat fortress.png
34 KB, 2699x225
jeez /vg/ is moving quickly tonight
I hope we don't threadfault again
>>
>>136026407
I've read several pastas before posting in these threads. I've been playing roguelikes for a couple of years before finding /rlg/.

You guys are the only ones I've seen that know to not free captive salamanders in Brogue. I learned that the hard way, fortunately it didn't kill me in that one playthrough.
>>
File: oh well.png (543 KB, 1901x1125) Image search: [Google]
oh well.png
543 KB, 1901x1125
Honestly I'm surprised I made it this far with just the shitty strating dagger, RNG litterally fucked me over and I didn't find any weapon on all 13 floors.

The only reason I survived this long was because I had a troll ally, an over abundance of potions and a very enchanted conjuration staff.

The worst thing is that I died of hunger and not because I got killed by something and I just had a shitty dagger to defend myself with.
>>
File: 144786549366.png (470 KB, 786x512) Image search: [Google]
144786549366.png
470 KB, 786x512
>>136027359
>not climbing to victory atop a pile of your own corpses
Casual.

Honestly, you could get most of the pasta's information from the in game help. And fair warning, it's out of date in some spots.
>>
>>136022337
I don't see how Spriggans or Deep Dwarves are easy for beginners. Just give him MiBe, MiFi or maybe GrFi so he can tab through the game and see how it works.
>>
>>136029818
spriggans can leave any combat
deep dwarves have a huge number of heal charges before they run out of max mp

I agree that in the long run they're not the easiest for a first win, thanks to their unique limitations, but they're really good for getting a new player further than they've gotten before
>>
>>136028809
what chinese cartoon is that.
>>
>>136029964
It's all true, but a beginner will have fundamental problems with understanding that he can and should run from fights or that he actually has a LOT of heal wounds charges as long as he doesn't care about MP.

When I was a beginner, Sp felt extremely squishy and weak and DD were just miserable - playing them felt like a countdown to extinction. On the other hand, Minotaurs are easy and straightforward.

Understanding that you can leave a fight or pick a better one, essentially a requirement for playing Spriggans, is pretty much enough to win a 3 rune game with MiBe/MiFi.
>>
>>136030865
SpEn was one of the first combos I got to lair with, merely because I understood I was supposed to be a stealthy stabber and as such never fought things head-on if I could help it. It depends on what kind of playstyle you naturally tend towards, so it'd be good for him to at least try.
>>
>>136030865
That's okay, I'm still on the tutorial and thanks to you now I know to go chicken mode.

You should totally make a pasta about this strategies thou.
>>
>>136030865
The big benefit of otab melee guys for new players is that you don't have to understand the skill system at all and can even play them on auto skilling.
>>
Words of wisdom (taken from dcss pasta):
"First you train the skills that you use to kill dudes. Once you are killing dudes well enough, then you train the skills you use to not die to dudes. If you later run into problems killing dudes, you switch back to killdudes skills."

Sounds pretty logical to me.
>>
>>136033603
the pasta took that from the knowledge bots on the crawl IRC channel
>>
>>136033840
Yeah, for some reason I entered wizard mode. Not sure what it is but pretty sure I want to exit that. What do?
>>
>>136034267
I don't think you can exit it.

Basically it's a "cheat/debug" mode, you enter it by pressing &. I don't think a character that's entered wizmode can leave again, the save file will be permanently marked.
>>
>>136034457
Thanks Cthulhu is only the tutorial.
>>
>>136033840
if it's good knowledge, then that's a good thing
>>
Dying in the tutorial.
Good, bad, lame?
>>
>>136036834
Years ago, when I played the tutorial, I think I almost died there.

What font, by the way?
>>
>>136036948
GNU Unifont. Best used at size 12.
>>
>>136037086
>pain in the ass to get working in Cygwin
>can hardly download without failing anyway
Thanks though. It's a looker.
>>
>>136039734
Sorry, Linux mustard race. Been using libre software since years ago.
But unifont runs fine on windows, don't lose hope.
>>
>>136040450
Yeah, I can install it just fine, but I use cygwin for my terminal stuff (like roguelikes), and the mintty shell doesn't seem to recognize it as a valid font. So I just have to teach xterm to believe in it.
>>
So, what kind of music do you listen when exploring? Also, what other type of games do you play besides rl?
>>
>>136041658
>So, what kind of music do you listen when exploring?
Anime OST

>Also, what other type of games do you play besides rl?
Mobile games, like Rogue Heroes or Potion Maker
>>
>>136041658
Lately I've been enjoying the weirder stuff I used to listen to when I was younger. So Caparezza and Diablo Swing Orchestra. I mostly play strategy rpgs and CUHRAZY action games, with some smash thrown in here and there. I'm actually hacking my 3DS just for the new fire emblem. Its pretty tedious and I have to dig through a botched 2.1 install to see what went wrong, so instead of doing that I played MGR. Monsoon's bossfight is so fucking hype.
>>
>>136041658
podcasts or sometimes twitch streams

also this is the third time this question was posted in like 2 days
>>
>>136042269
Anon secretly wants music recommendations but can't stand /mu/.

>>136042234
Also MTG.
>>
>>136042365
If this is how Anon exhibits poise and stealth, I'd hate to see him be direct.
>>
Would you guys recommend Wazhack?
>>
>>136042180
I dig a lot of anime ost, like the Emiya Crow's Claw metal remix. Reminds me of electronic music somehow (ye olde Trance).
Not a fan of mobile but played some (text) adventure games and are awesome.
>>136042234
Never hear them, will look them up.
>>136042269
I am watching a youtube video about dcss and precisely has some music in the background that lead me to ask the question. Sounds like something come out of LOTR.
>>136042365
>>136042585
Meh, if the place has something good I would go there ;)
>>
>>136042648
Absolutely not.
>>
>>136043336
how come? looks pretty mindless desu. I figure it might be different enough to hold my interest for a while.
>>
>>136043472
Don't listen to the other guy it is one of the best roguelike games ever created.

I am totally not the developer by the way but you need to buy it now while it's cheap.
>>
>>136043661
topkek
>>
File: mable.jpg (97 KB, 680x623) Image search: [Google]
mable.jpg
97 KB, 680x623
>>136042927
I'll save you a little trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXuMC_GHEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCMszSjgKHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRtdrsRQ5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSCSvyfyAk

Are you watching the old guy that anon posted the other day? He really was cozy but it bothers me how he trains multiple skills and plays a little too fast to properly assess situations. I almost wish I could be so haphazard when playing crawl, but I've trained myself to be on MAXIMUM TACTICOOL at all times. Its rather tiring and one of the reasons I usually only play trunk to try out new stuff.
>>
dagger of elec on d2

this kobold is gonna tab his way to victory
>>
>>136043920
As just arrived here today, I don't know what guy you mean, I'm watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aglmm0VON_g&index=2&list=PLs3acGYgI1-s5N5bH47LPfc6GtPFNXmuQ
>>
>>136044367
This guy. He is pretty alright, but just bad enough to put me off watching. His musings are entertaining though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_OFJEPSL8
>>
>>136041658
This, usually.

http://vip.aersia.net/
>>
>>136045064
That's hot.
>>
Which is better for an unarmed/rod using DsMo of Ru.
38 Ac 5 Ev or 26 AC 15 Ev.
Just got a + 9 orange plate of archmagi with sus and clarity
>>
>>136045479
26/15
>>
>>136045479
26/15. You don't want to get shrecked by iron shots.
>>
>>136045529
>>136045607
Is there a way I can ever wear that sweet sweet +9 plate with decent Ev ? currently armour at 15 and same for Dodge.
>>
>>136045771
You need Strength and Armour skill to effectively mitigate the penalties of high ER armour.
>>
>>136045771
You'd have to drop Ru for chei, but that is a bad idea. You'd have to pump the shit out of your strenght and max armour/dodging. Write it off as a sweet nothing and learn to let go.
>>
Making a stationary base in CDDA is actually breddy gud now that multiple z-levels is playable.
>>
File: hmm.png (20 KB, 826x449) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
20 KB, 826x449
>>136045867
>>136045890
Thanks I was holding out for something to be done i'll just drop it now.
Btw What should I focus on now? Not dying easily and pretty much destryoing everything currently doing crypt going to vault 5 afterwards.pic related
>>
>>136046209
More punching.
>>
>>136046209
You look pretty solid. You said your Ev is only 15, so I'd try to get that to 20~. After that, you could do a bunch of stuff. Simplest option is just pump fighting for hitdudes/notdyin', you could pick up some magic like TM for maximum killdudes, or pump UC for faster ATATA. Just go UC/fighting for the time being, fancy spells can come in pan.
>>
>>136046437
Problem with spells is I sacrificed quite a few schools (Earth hexes and summoning) for our lord and saviour Ru but I might start tapping into that once I have like 20 Ev
>>
>>136046910
That's not really a problem since only 1 spell from any of those schools would really be useful to you (Statue Form).
>>
>>136046910
Pity about hexes since it makes Tomb a walk in the park. I'd wait on it unless you have stuff that is easy to pickup like rMissile/blink with a bigger spell like haste to grab later.
>>
I used to look down on the lightning rod but my Ko^Pak is killing death yak packs with his (14/14) one.This is a lot better than I expected.
>>
Oh hey, new blood. Good. We needed that.
>>
>>136047302
Yo, lightning rod fucking scales really well into postend even. My own KoPAKK was using it to ZAP niggas all the way from the abyss to the iron hells of Dis. Fucking quality rod, lightning rod.
>>
>>136047419
We really need to stagger our posting, they guy got 10+ replies in an hour and now the thread is close to dying again.
POST SPLATS
>>
>>136048841
>stagger
Mmmm, you sure? Because if I didn't had those replies my first experience would been not as charming.
>>
>>136048841
Post them yourself.
>>
>>136047419
Hi you.
>>
File: stabby.jpg (94 KB, 1236x563) Image search: [Google]
stabby.jpg
94 KB, 1236x563
>>136049034
Yeah I realize that, and it's good that even though this general can be really bitter at times, it's still really helpful and nice from time to time. I just don't want it to constantly die because there's nothing to really post about.

>>136049059
I'm trying to learn Spriggan, don't you worry there will be splats.
Can Spriggans deal with Ghosts in any way or do they just 360?
>>
File: assband.png (351 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
assband.png
351 KB, 500x320
>>136048841
I don't have the image anymore so I'll post the morgue. This is by far my greatest fault.
http://pastebin.com/WFJYjW4V
>A great vortex of raging winds appears and lifts you up.
>Are you sure you want to fly over lava while you are losing your buoyancy?
>The winds around you start to calm down.
>You float gracefully downwards. You fall into the lava!
>The lava burns you to a cinder!
>You die...
>>
>>136049587
Are you implying that 360' moonwalk is not a way of dealing with it?
>>
>>136049587
A bit of a strategy I got helping keeping up other generals was to find related content and regularly posting a list of what I've found on the thread until others started contributing.

The trick is to find enough stuff and be open minded about sharing it.

Music is always good imho.
>>
>>136049789
It's a perfect way of dealing with it, but muh free XP!
I'm ass with stabby/enchanter, so I'm curious if there's any common spell that you use with this combo that can deal with them. Confusion/Sleep doesn't work, obviously.
>>
>>136050114
>Free exp
Unless you know you can get dat free exp, walk away. The thing about exp is that there is always more exp, and that there is always an easier source of exp to gather than whatever huge dude you want to splat yourself on.
>>
>>136050214
That's true, right.
I just danced with my ghost for ~100 turns and managed to stab him twice even though I'm fairly stealthy, those fucks don't forget about you easily.
>>
>RNG fucks my ass and I get a fucking FLYING POLYP day 2 of cata
why
>>
File: fml.jpg (377 KB, 1573x981) Image search: [Google]
fml.jpg
377 KB, 1573x981
>>136049646
>XL 27
ouch. However, I can relate.
I don't know why I panic as hard as I do in turn-based roguelikes, I'm extremely nervous about fucking something up when I'm ~4-5 hours deep into a run and do the most stupid shit.
>>
File: FREE.jpg (43 KB, 701x366) Image search: [Google]
FREE.jpg
43 KB, 701x366
>>136050114
>Confusion/Sleep doesn't work, obviously.
Obviously I'm retarded, Confuse works perfectly.
FREEEE XP!
>>
>>136050017
>Music is always good imho.
But it was always a shitpost. I never really minded it but it was always labeled as that and discouraged.
Or are we at war with eastasia now
>>
File: ALIIIIIIIIVE.png (34 KB, 952x574) Image search: [Google]
ALIIIIIIIIVE.png
34 KB, 952x574
>>136050652
> The game lasted 18:45:54 (143448 turns).
>You visited 4 ziggurats (completing 3), and saw 102 of their levels.
>15/15 runes
It was so much worse than just being lvl 27. I was actually looking for the screenshot when you died like that. Camaraderie through lava splats is a special thing.
>>
>>136050893
We were always at war with Eastasia anon. Whatever it takes to keep the party alive.
>>
File: nobody.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
nobody.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
>>136050921
Didn't check the dump, splats like these are hilarious in their own way.
I hope you weren't on your way to your first 15 rune win, at least.
>>
>>136050114
confusion works but I think they tend to have highish MR

dazzling spray is great because it checks HD and not MR. It blinds enemies, which gives you the same tier of stab as if you were invis
>>
>>136051272
15'd many times, but oddly enough, that would have been my first DEFE win. I still haven't won one.
>>
today I autoexplored into a tele trap that put me in the middle of the end vault on orc:2, surrounded by a dozen priests and high priests

I read fog and tele and managed to somehow teleport out without getting smitten a dozen times, but the randtele landed me back in the same vault

then I read my second and last TP scroll and actually got out
>>
>>136051893
O, not even once.
>>
File: dynahack7.png (36 KB, 1250x750) Image search: [Google]
dynahack7.png
36 KB, 1250x750
I hate nymphs.
>>
>>136052315
They hate you too.
>>
The Wiki says that Ensorcelled Hibernation is stronger than Confuse, but I find that the latter works a lot better.
Does that change with spellpower/more intelligent enemies or is the added stab bonus towards sleeping enemies the important part?
>>
>>136020482

Out of idle curiousity, do you have a screencap of the rest of this character's equipment?
>>
>>136053074
It's the second thing.

Stabbing sleeping enemies is guaranteed and does way more damage. Stabbing confused enemies has a relatively small success chance and does less damage.

On the other hand you can hit confused enemies multiple times, and confusion generally has a higher success rate than EH. Plus it works on enemies that never sleep (like imps) or which are cold resistant (like undead).

With decent shortblades and stealth skill getting Hibernation to land is pretty much a guaranteed instakill, and generally you're gonna use confuse only when you *can't* use EH for whatever reason.
>>
File: trove.png (163 KB, 1189x961) Image search: [Google]
trove.png
163 KB, 1189x961
what could be on the other side??
>>
>>136053581
CPA's and 3swords.
>>
>>136053581
Candy and strippers.
>>
>>136053283
Alright, thanks. Stabbing is ridiculously strong so far and Sp really is OP; I wonder when this falls off. Probably when I'm facing lotsa undead creatures.
>>136053581
16 Merfolk with Bardiches
>>
File: trove_revealed.png (214 KB, 1194x966) Image search: [Google]
trove_revealed.png
214 KB, 1194x966
>>136053620
better not be CPA's, I'm an ogre!

and it wasn't too bad, this vampiric morningstar might carry me through vaults and zot, I'm having trouble with food becaues I keep having to rest forever to heal up
>>
File: blade.jpg (15 KB, 246x155) Image search: [Google]
blade.jpg
15 KB, 246x155
I'm curious, is there any way to get this Demon Blade?
>>
>>136053891
put on an amulet of stasis or memorize the spell 'apportation', or casting 'tornado' might sweep it along the ground
>>
Fuck.
I'm basically stuck with this now until I have a bajillion gold.
>>
File: goyzag.jpg (25 KB, 600x125) Image search: [Google]
goyzag.jpg
25 KB, 600x125
>>136054553
Forgot image.
Weirdly though, the displayed price of bribing and setting up a shop didn't change at all after equipping and removing it.
>>
File: EV.jpg (28 KB, 720x166) Image search: [Google]
EV.jpg
28 KB, 720x166
>EV is good
I'm pretty happy with this as a first stealth run though, stabbers are strong as fuck.
>>
>>136054960
But it is good.. Try playing an As youll see whats broken and fun
>>
>>136055003
I'll not pick Gozag in my next run, that's for sure. He pretty much did nothing for me, except distracting a monster for a few turns once in a while.

SpAs with a rapid fire blowgun is what you recommend?
>>
>>136055198
What? Gozag is broken tier for any spellcaster.. and yeah, mix needles with some stabbing i nthere and all, pray for some books to carry you mid/late game and you have your easy 3+ rune
>>
File: fug.png (267 KB, 1438x767) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
267 KB, 1438x767
God damn it, if I wanted to have a Tomb experience, I'd just go to Tomb. Once I found the entrance to it, that is. I hope at least the manual is something worth risking death for.
>>
>>136056161
>manual of Short Blades
It wasn't.
>>
>>136055271
I didn't come to a point where I could bribe a branch and I never felt the need to set up a shop, so yeah.
I'm sure that it's great in the late game, but it didn't do a lot for me in that run.
>>
>>136056349
Well yeah, when you only gotten to d:12..
>>
>>136054960
gozie gives and takes
i think he's really good for a SpEn at least
>>
>>136056474
How is Gozag good for anything with extensive spellcasting? Why not go Ash or Dithmenos instead?
>>
>>136057512
Because En doesnt cast as much as any other spellcaster, hence why people go dith or oka on SpEn's or the card master
>>
What would be the mandatory features of a sci-fi "dungeon" crawler roguelike?

Hacking?
Bio-mechanic augmentation?
Brain implants?

Also, side question: Would you prefer Single screen like Nethack, or big levels like Angband?
>>
>>136059484
lazers. it needs lazer guns.
>>
>>136059484
dating sims or waifu.
>>
>>136059484
cocky androids
funky new future drug like death sticks
rain, lots of it
>>
File: FUN.png (287 KB, 1440x767) Image search: [Google]
FUN.png
287 KB, 1440x767
I wish one day DCSS dev team would remove Abyss in their bloat removal spree.
>>
>>136059484
Use a setting similar to BLAME! and it works gud.
>>
>>136060649
you need to go deeper
>>
Don't
>>
Do
>>
File: Jiggly black unicorn butts.png (136 KB, 1899x1024) Image search: [Google]
Jiggly black unicorn butts.png
136 KB, 1899x1024
Tip to self: unicorns can do 20 damage in a single turn and their AI makes it impossible for you to kill them from afar.
Why can't you throw stuff in noncardinal directions like ---/? It's pretty silly.
>>
Fugging hell Archons in cata are horrible.
>>
>>136050652
>17 (SEVENTEEN) teleport scrolls
>E I G H T (8) blink scrolls
fault as fuck lad, hurts to look at
>>
Allright senpai I am going in the outside world, wish me luck and dont let this thread die
>>
>>136070041
>leaving the basement

Ew
>>
>>136060649
Is this meme still applicable?

Started up my first character since Lava Orcs were added and I'm noticing a lot of new stuff. I haven't found any glaring omissions from what I remember except for brown chunks from humanoids.
>>
File: slumberparty.jpg (303 KB, 1587x947) Image search: [Google]
slumberparty.jpg
303 KB, 1587x947
What did I stumble into here?
>>
File: 1447840210479.png (12 KB, 159x181) Image search: [Google]
1447840210479.png
12 KB, 159x181
>>136066024
Is that Dynahack? how come it looks so nice?
How do you get it to use those colors?
>>
File: how2pret.png (272 KB, 1370x565) Image search: [Google]
how2pret.png
272 KB, 1370x565
>>136073723
>Is that Dynahack?
yes
>how come it looks so nice?
we had a pasta for pretty dynahack colors but it's really outdated and needs you to run linux, I found a way to run it on windows using mobaXterm, which is bascially a glorified putty.

Basically it goes like this:
Download Mobaxterm, then go to settings, configurations, terminal, customize, then change the foreground. I also change the background to be a deep deep shade of blue and not just black because black and that shade of orange don't work so well.

The catch is that you can only play games on a terminal through ssh, so dynahack is online only.
Open moba, then and write ssh [email protected] to get a ssh connection through dank.ninja, which is the only server that supports dynahack at the moment. If you're not in europe, it might lag a bit, I am not sure. I only know that in central Europe it's extremely fast.
>>
>>136067550
Finally an endgame monster.
The problem is that there is no reason to fight them outside of a personal challenge, like 90% of the endgame.
>>
File: chen2.jpg (47 KB, 292x227) Image search: [Google]
chen2.jpg
47 KB, 292x227
How is Caves of Qud?
Worth buying on Steam?
>>
>>136067550
>>136075745
I don't remember any monster with the name Archon in DDA.
>>
>>136076196
unfinished and let's you know it. dev is working at a snails pace as well so don't hold your breath.
i like it though, playing esper build is fun and the world feels pretty dang nice.

the look of the game is a big negative for some people though but that's subjective so you can decide on that for yourself.
pirate it first if you're curious.
>>
>>136076537
arcana mod. It's actually pretty good.
>>
>>136076556
Thanks.
>>
File: Professional hat wearer.png (170 KB, 1897x1025) Image search: [Google]
Professional hat wearer.png
170 KB, 1897x1025
Well I'll be.
>>
Goddamn beetle.
I think I remember why I stopped playing tourists.
>>
>>136059484
Gene/cyber mods and hacking yes, but either space travel or making it on a space station is an unexplored idea.

I actually write a lot of this, wish I could code thou.
>>
>>136075554
Care to share the pasta for the colors? Can't find it.
>>
>>136076556
How far has the development come? I've played a demo or something maybe a year ago and it was really barren, but looked nice and was promising.
>>
File: Defiler.png (114 KB, 1895x1022) Image search: [Google]
Defiler.png
114 KB, 1895x1022
Never gets old.

>>136077751
It was probably deleted when we changed the OP. Basically there's nothing new to know other than what I posted unless you're playing on linux. If you're on linux, you just customize your terminal's colours.
>>
>>136070596
>Is this meme still applicable?
Not that much lately, they've been actually adding or changing things instead of removing them. You don't want to go to the official forums though, you'd get cancer just reading threads there.
>>
>>136077897
Yup, on Linux, will try.
>>
>>136018392
The crackhead start is pretty fun. Good luck surviving your withdrawal period.
>>
>>136075554
Thanks mate
>>
>>136079335
you're welcome! Be warned that once you go coloured you never go back
>>
File: unlimited resting works.png (124 KB, 1440x779) Image search: [Google]
unlimited resting works.png
124 KB, 1440x779
Sometimes I wonder if wearing SustAt even does anything for mummy curses. At least it (mostly) works for Hell effects, I guess.
>>
Are there any decent mobile roguelikes?
>>
>>136080293
Let me answer your question with another question:
Can you read the pasta?
>>
>>136080387
MY BAD
>>
File: dynahack8.png (37 KB, 1250x750) Image search: [Google]
dynahack8.png
37 KB, 1250x750
>sacrifice a corpse of my own race to mollify my (chaotic) god
>this somehow summons- something
>it disappears so suddenly I don't even have time to see the glyph
What just happened?
>>
>>136081109
He fell victim of a bad pun cursed potions of gain level take you up a floor.

I recommend not pissing Yeenoghu off if you like living.
>>
>>136081109
>Yeenoghu, &, is a monster in NetHack, specifically, one of the demon lords. He can deal out tremendous physical damage, and magic missiles from afar, but is not generally regarded as a problem if you are prepared for him. He is generated with a flail. Yeenoghu respects Elbereth.

Interesting. Chaotic gods suck ass.
>>
>>136082239
>>136081109
>Yeenoghu, together with Juiblex, is one of the two demon lords that can be summoned with chaotic own-race sacrifice. He will be peaceful then.

Oh.
Well anon you saved yourself a really FUN fight.
>>
File: trapsanddoors.png (130 KB, 1366x728) Image search: [Google]
trapsanddoors.png
130 KB, 1366x728
I'm going to get an ulcer
>>
>>136082662
well look at it this way, you've got a nice 1x1 corridor and you can finally ditch that stupid hand axe.
>>
File: alady.png (104 KB, 1366x728) Image search: [Google]
alady.png
104 KB, 1366x728
>>136082803
I got lucky and managed to tele away before I died. Still some bullshit though.
>>
>>136082662
393, lightning wand 6 to soften the priest, 3 9 kill the priest and the wizard, you now have a 1x1 corridor, melee-centric monsters that won't enter your clouds and a permanent supply of clouds, so you can just walk away.

Seriously, anon.
>>
>>136084150
I'm sorry, I'm not the brightest strategist.

I'll try harder next time.
>>
File: best resistances ever.png (44 KB, 804x456) Image search: [Google]
best resistances ever.png
44 KB, 804x456
This is the first time I'll be attempting Pan and Hell with resistances this bad.
>>
>31 AC
>41 EV
>complaining
>>
>>136080189
Sustab stops you from getting turbofucked by mummy curses. Without sustab, I think the max drain is like 8. My Ko^Pakk got drained for max and had to scum pan to restore his int.

>>136084551
That is pretty rough. The panlords are going to have a fucking field day on your face. Why didn't you swap to TSO? You could really use the rN+++ and oka doesn't have anything else to offer you.
>>
>>136084693
>implying ac and ev matter against torment
>>
>>136086037
>he's not playing a tengu mummy
>>
>no pingu class in crawl
>>
>>136085353
Because I always swap, I wanted to see how bad it will be without it.
>>
>>136086505
go unarmed tengu ice elementalist.
noot noot, motherfucker.
>>
File: explodingbird.gif (2 MB, 320x165) Image search: [Google]
explodingbird.gif
2 MB, 320x165
>>136086529
I mean, he gives you old haste with weapons. That is pretty relevant if you plan on punching the dudes to death, and heroism is still a nice buff. Its just so little compared to what so many other gods have to offer you. I hope you have a good amount of resistance pots. Pic related will be you vs. Cerebov.
>>
>>136087213
>implying I want to fight Cerebov
>>
>>136087784
Hope you're an experienced rune snatcher. Every panlord is going to be hell, except maybe Mnoleg.
>>
>>136088391
probably the plan involves blowguns
>>
>>136088391
>>136088684
Pan lords alone weren't a problem, what killed me (yep) was a hellfire/torment/firestorm combo. I wish you could see each random pan lord's spell set. 8/15, better luck next time.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaah.png (10 KB, 486x67) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaah.png
10 KB, 486x67
I think it's time to leave.
>>
>>136090964
Torment is absolutely brutal with no rN, as is firestorm with 1 pip. You can't eat many hellfires if you're at 90 HP from 1 torment, 45 with 2. Thats 2-3 hellfires before death. RIP birdman. You did your best, but you picked the wrong god.
>>
File: [...intensifies].gif (16 KB, 90x105) Image search: [Google]
[...intensifies].gif
16 KB, 90x105
>>136091583
>Zombie necromancers necrodancing all around you, making lewd gestures at you and laughing it up with their bros.
>Zombie master helping all the DYEL zombies get mad gains quick
>Acid zombies shitting up the whole area
There isn't enough fire or bullets in the whole game for that kind of shit.
>>
>>136091583
SSS - Summoners Summoning Summoners
>>
File: 1446034202103.png (166 KB, 472x1100) Image search: [Google]
1446034202103.png
166 KB, 472x1100
>>136091937
>goatposting
not so fast
two can play this game
>>
>>136054691
Probably too late now, but the "Gozag cares for nothing but gold!" message is supposed to convey that "Faith is useless for him.
>>
>>136092553
At first I thought he was dressed up as Dick Gumshoe and was genuinely impressed, but then I realized it was all wrong. So you got me, I guess.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 180

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.