[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/JRPGG/ JRPG General: Boxing Day Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Time is Technically Stable.jpg (315 KB, 1361x927) Image search: [Google]
Time is Technically Stable.jpg
315 KB, 1361x927
Welcome to JRPG General.

Personal suggestion list, use this to see what JRPGs interest you, or add/edit a write up to help other people.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AiGmz8hhX0GHdFA5QmlPbVM0TWx1SHYydHB4YWxTY3c

"Current" FAQ. Generally the simplest questions have answers in here, so check it out.
http://pastebin.com/TpptMfNa

The above information is a bit out of date, so if you'd like to help update it that'd be great.

Trails of Cold Steel is out in NA. What are your impressions of it if you have played it?

What are you currently playing?
What are you looking forward to having come out?
Are you enjoying your holiday?
Star Fox JRPG: Yes or no?

JRPGs that have christmas characters/themes:
Kingdom Hearts II
Resonance of Fate (costumes)
At least some of the Tales games

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, help add to the list to get into the spirit of things.

Be safe and enjoy yourselves guys.
>>
As always, to help start the conversation along:

Playing: Nothing at the moment, will be glad to try Xenoblade soon with some of you guys if you're interested, just need your NNIDs.
Interested in: Youkai Watch (3 in particular), Xenoblade, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, a full translation for Square's Tom Sawyer JRPG
Holiday fun: Sure, once I can get into it.
Star Fox: COULD this be handled well, hypothetically?

Any suggestions for JRPGs beyond the usual, guys? I found (not near any stores or houses so I couldn't do anything about it even if I wanted) a brand new in box with everything PS4 bundle by the road so I would be glad to add that to the list but need to know what to look for.
>>
you've doomed the revival by starting a general with your name on, namefag
>>
>>126665658
It tends to go the same way regardless, sometimes it's successful, sometimes it isn't. For you the next time I'll put it off and see how it goes.

But that's next time, not now when we could be talking about JRPGs.

I hear Cold Steel has a trophy for grinding 100 hours, is this true?
>>
I usually prefer isometric-style cRPGs, but I also really liked Final Fantasy 4, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, and Seiken Densetsu 3.

What JRPGs can you recommend that draw heavily on the tradition of old school western RPGs? I know they're largely distinct genres nowadays, but the two have definitely influenced one another.
>>
ded
>>
File: 54119529_p0.jpg (302 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
54119529_p0.jpg
302 KB, 1000x750
Is you body ready for Tales of /ss/.
>>
File: 1446006410500.png (16 KB, 247x249) Image search: [Google]
1446006410500.png
16 KB, 247x249
we're dead, any obscure or older jrpgs are doomed to dead threads on /v/ or this dead thread, since no one wants to talk about them
we fucked ourselves by ousting the tales fags and FF fags to their own general
>>
>>126672097
The Jews at Bamco won't do anything /ss/, they take joy in disappointing people and crushing their dreams, they simply don't want us to have nice things.

>>126672331
The tales general is just tumblr niggers posting homo shit, I didn't even check FF general.
>>
>>126672331
WHERE DO I GO TO TALK ABOUT JRPGS THEN?
PLEASE RESPOND
>>
>>126672097
I only see grown woman and flat woman, where's the boy? Also can this game please have two bear party members, one of each type?

>>126672331
Half the posts seem to be more along the lines of trying to perpetuate this idea, how about we actually talk about them instead of trying to (and failing to) kill the general? Everything will be fine.

>>126672540
You go here, so you talk about them but then don't play them.
>>
>>126672331
>XCX general
>Neptunia General
>SMT General
>Etrian Odyssey General
>Persona General
>Yokai Watch General
>Star Ocean General
>Final Fantasy General
All of these are live generals that stay active every day here, choose one
>>
File: 32108519_p0_master1200.jpg (138 KB, 600x488) Image search: [Google]
32108519_p0_master1200.jpg
138 KB, 600x488
>>126672392
/ffg/ is mostly talking about the phone game, yelling at Jewgles for shit pulls, calling each others favorite entry shit and discussing any news that pops up until we fall back into the other three topics..
>>
>>126673121
namefag, fuck off and let the thread die, make a kingdom hearts general if you want, it will probably be more active anyways
>>
>>126673425
>Kingdom Hearts general
Oh geez no, why would I ever want to touch that?
>>
>>126673951
>Kingdom Hearts 2 attention whore tag
gee, i wonder why
>>
>>126674274
It'd be better to just go to a FF general then, I mean, but no. Still waiting to hear about that Cold Steel trophy or any impressions on it. Maybe nobody got it? That NA release date was probably too close to a bunch of other games after all.
>>
>>126667348
what part of western rpgs do you like?
>>
>>126677578
He said old school, so I assume the turn based part of them in a fantasy setting rather than the action RPG style they have today.
>>
>>126677578
Exploration, the ability to choose what you want to do as far as how to handle enemies, which side to take in various conflicts, etc. I like how in some games every single character has stats and can be attacked if you really want to, but there are consequences.

These are all things that are uncommon in JRPGs, as far as I know.

I do prefer turn-based combat. Some of my favorite games are Arcanum, Ultima, and Avernum: Escape from the Pit.
>>
>>126682317
I'd recommend breath of fire series
>>
>>126683257
I'll look into them. Thank you very much. Which one would you suggest starting with?
>>
>>126683645
1 is basic, 2 is a little more advanced, so probably 3 or 4. 5 is still an interesting game but is a dungeon crawler that plays differently from the first four games.

Six is going to be on mobile devices and nobody says anything nice about it.
>>
>>126683791
Alright. I'll probably start with 4 and just work backwards until I lose interest, then check out 5. Thank you again.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 480x341) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 480x341
Get the latest Tales of for Christmas

English speaking fandom is deader than dead

I thought this one sold well by JRPG standards?
>>
save
>>
>>126687176
>English speaking fandom is deader than dead
It's still the most active one.
>>
jesus
My DS3 is going to shit, I'm trying to play Xillia and it will randomly change my character
>>
save
>>
File: 1450994942470.gif (959 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1450994942470.gif
959 KB, 640x360
>>126663631
Playan: Bloodborne (Not exactly a jrpg like most but it's closeish), Demon Gaze (Just got to the forest dungeon after lancelorna bites it)
Interested in: I bought Ar No Surge+, I'm gonna finish that as soon as I finish one of the two above. Cyber Sleuth looks fun, might pick up Fates if it's not heavily censored.
Holiday fun: Plenty of it, been playing disney infinity with my nephew as well, got that for him.
pls dont die gen. I've shitposted about how these gens keep dying but I will try to let it live.
>>
>>126698731
Have you looked into the game before Ar Nosurge? Like a summary of it?

Also what are the chances of a 3-in-1 pack for Fates going on sale again, nil, not likely, possible?
>>
>>126700824
I have not. I know people say to do it but, I dunno. I might try to read it beforehand, I guess it's important?

As for chances? Depends, have you tried ordering it at a local store? That's what I did in burgerland. It was no longer up for preorder on gamestops site but I called it to see if I could order it through the store and they said yes, so I did that.
>>
What if we advertised the general on other threads?
>>
>>126701364
I feel like that might cause some backlash from people that don't want to come to a JRPG general and those that are interested might just want to stay away then too. It's up to you of course but I'd suggest not to. It's late for a lot of people, so it's not going to be a busy thread now.

>>126701117
It is the prequel to it so so it probably is important. If it's too wordy even with a summary then jump in and see if you can follow along and enjoy it.

And no, I did not. I only heard about it after it was already presumably sold at a number of retailers, and would've been busy during those hours anyway. I'm just curious if it would go up again as if I were going to get the games I'd like them all together in one cart.
>>
> k
>>
>>126701364
Don't do that. /jrpgg/ has enough of a stigma from other generals anyway.

>>126701643
Yeah, I wanted it all on one cart if I was gonna buy physical, so i'm glad I was able to snag the special edition asap.
>>
Anyone pick up Exist Archive? I'm curious how it turned out.
>>
>>126701643
Also I guess I should probably just give it a go, looking at the youtube playlist this thing is fucking long though, Christ. I might just read the summary because there's no way I can watch something half long as the damn game itself just to know about it.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.