[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spess Men, Spaceman on a Spess Station /ss13g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 135
File: 62 TC.png (20 KB, 903x339) Image search: [Google]
62 TC.png
20 KB, 903x339
Gee tator, why does pomf give you that many metabuddies edition
>RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
>People ignoring symptoms lead to Donk Crypt XI turning into a space hulk via arachnogenesis
>Plebs still can't spaceacillin to halt symptoms & Progression then 25 arith, 90dex+, 90Tricord, 5 radium, inj an O- body with antibodies, put cure blood in cryo then go syringing crew to cure everyone forever
>Blood spatters are responsible for 67% of features according to profiler. spray blood to remove kebab today
>u dun it nao dylan potter

>What is Space Station 13?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA
http://pastebin.com/VNcX2Quc

>New player guide
http://ss13.pomf.se/wiki/index.php/The_Basics
http://ss13.pomf.se/wiki/index.php/General_Help

>BYOND client
http://byond.com/download/build/LATEST/

>Pomf Serbian, main /vg/station server, running a vote script to change maps at round end.
byond://ss13.undo.it:7777

>Test server
byond://ss13.nexisonline.net:1336

>Public server list
http://byond.com/games/exadv1/spacestation13

>Forum, ban list and logs for vgstation
http://ss13.pomf.se/forum/
http://ss13.pomf.se/index.php/bans
http://ss13.undo.it/logs/

>How do I connect to the servers?
Hit the cogwheel in the upper right corner of the BYOND hub and pick "Open Location"

>Map renders collection: updated nightly
http://ss13.nexisonline.net/img/map-renders/

>Coderbus, here!
https://github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13
@rizon #coderbus @rizon #vgstation

>SS13 booru for all your SS13 images!
http://ss13.booru.org/

>How To Install BYOND: The Video Tutorial: The Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iWiZwv9f1o

>Nostalgia
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/text/ss13g/

OP Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/wa9fnYbg
>>
Reminder that explosive grenades, while not the most effective, are the most fun way to blow things up.
>>
>>124798290
>>Blood spatters are responsible for 67% of features
Jesus Christ how
>>
>Clown tries to start a penis inspection day
>Later see him dead on the medbay desk, with a panda running down the corridor

The hell was that about?
>>
>>124798529
They're like little melee range towers in a station based tower defense game. They're checking for people to infect and updating with fibers, prints, dna
>>
>>124798652
>they didn't have a Penis Inspection Panda (PIP) at their school
fucking third worlder
>>
>>124798652
His randiness sprouted a sexual harassment panda out of his prostate
>>
>>124798360
>You kill a man
>Witness tells police you killed a man
>Police arrest you and say you have to give your side of the story or you're staying arrested forever
>WHY DID YOU ARREST ME COME ON I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT AM I RIGHT?
>>
>>124798529
Janitor suddenly became one of the most important jobs
>>
>>124799013
>suddenly
The shitty oldcode that causes this is as ancient as viruses
>>
>>124799013
>>124799143
Behead all who cause blood splatters
>>
>>124799338
You clown!

That will just cause more blood spatters!
>>
Is it just me or are the upgraded security cameras bugged and completely useless?

Only shows an empty screen with star background, same with the crew monitor.
>>
>>124799438
They worked yesterday, You can't have a PDA, another crew monitor/adv sec cameras or anything else that updates itself open at the same time. and occasionally your nanoui will sperg out. Close the console, use the resend-resources verb ONCE and wait at least 5 minutes. If it still isn't, build a new one in a different area. If still no, relog. If still no, ask the admins and crew if it's working for them. If all say no, make a bug report that it broke yet again.
>>
>>124798753
Go on and try this without providing evidence.
>>
>>124799647
He did provide evidence though
>>
>>124799548
>If all say no, make a bug report that it broke yet again.
>all that previous shit means it's working fine
byond!
>>
>>124799665
Show me in the logs where it says AI caused damage to humans, or turrets caused damage to humans. Or even taking suffocation damage in the core. Anything really.
>>
>>124799647
Shocking doors, setting turrets to lethal with a human in there, and trying to siphon rooms is a ding dong

>>124799760
There's there's a bug, and there's shitty nanoui we repeatedly told them to stop using is acting up just for you
>>
>That fucking clown that's a crack shot with the laser tag gun

Fucking casual, I bet you play CoD.

Sorry I had to jet on you. I just now got a call from work. I have to run a few errands.
>>
>>124799848
I'm not the guy making the ban request, so I'll let him do that. I'm not doing his job for him. But we have proof that he turned his turrets on lethal AND witness testimony in deadchat, and pulling a gun + witness testimony is sure as fuck enough evidence to get the cops to put cuffs on a guy until he gives his side of the story.

Whine more
>>
>>124799848
[19:27:23]SAY: Yred/(Zachariah Mildred) (@112,127,1) Ghost: AI turned on syphons on someone earlier, molly
[19:27:25]SAY: BambooTank/(Mike Hawk) (@117,127,1) Ghost: because it was trying to kill him i guess

Ban He
a
n

H
e
>>
File: 1445224734521.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1445224734521.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>>124798290
>tfw the era of heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins.heard by 0 non-AFK admins. heard by 0 non-AFK admins. is upon us
Where were you when the only law was what you doled out with a circular saw?
>>
File: Jack.png (149 KB, 584x626) Image search: [Google]
Jack.png
149 KB, 584x626
>>124778032
>>
File: 1424544428890.jpg (64 KB, 510x384) Image search: [Google]
1424544428890.jpg
64 KB, 510x384
>>124778032
>>
>>124799897
Well, the atmospherics monitor works for me, but the crew monitor or security cameras almost never do.
>>
>>124800016
>>124800085
>still no logs of AI actually harming humans
Not that I expected anything.

How about you call me sarca, that will cheer you up.
>>
>>124800672
Cancel camera view verb help any?
Are you certain your pda is closed?
Did relogging help?
>>
>>124800797
It's okay spitroasted franks, if you didn't evade a couple day ban everything would have been fine.
>>
>>124800485
Is you know who back?
>>
>>124801170
Nay
>>
File: not rin.png (9 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
not rin.png
9 KB, 500x500
>>124800485
;_;7

>>124778032
>>
>>124800797
How about the player themself?

>[19:16:04]SAY: B.E.N.G.A.R.R.I.S.O.N/Zimflim (@113,128,1) As Sol Common : SIPHONING AIR IN UPLOAD TO PRESERVE SYSTEM INTEGRITY
>[19:16:14]ADMIN: HELP: Yred/(Zachariah Mildred): why is the AI syphoning its core - heard by 0 non-AFK admins.
>[19:16:18]ADMIN: HELP: Yred/(Zachariah Mildred): with a human in it - heard by 0 non-AFK admins.
>[21:00:52]ADMIN: PM: DrCelt/(Alex Jacques)->Zimflim/(C.I.A): http://ss13.pomf.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&p=8206#p8206
>[21:01:04]ADMIN: PM: Zimflim/(C.I.A)->DrCelt/(Alex Jacques): I already saw that.
>[21:01:36]ADMIN: PM: Zimflim/(C.I.A)->DrCelt/(Alex Jacques): Its up to you what to do because I did make a mistake on siphoning the air.
>>
File: kaputt.jpg (74 KB, 909x810) Image search: [Google]
kaputt.jpg
74 KB, 909x810
>>124800812
Yes.
Always looks like this no matter what
>>
>>124803095
dont you have work

deadpoo a qt tho
>>
>>124804382
Not for a few hours senpai
>>
File: 1423359973580.png (94 KB, 540x541) Image search: [Google]
1423359973580.png
94 KB, 540x541
>>124804382
>>
Slime people when
>>
>>124805090
how new?
>>
>>124805119
More like too old, played ages again when it was people like Apeh in charge. Recently returned.
>>
>>124805159
You can become slime man if you do xenobio
>>
>>124805237
>Xenobio
Is it any good at all? Haven't touched it yet.
>>
>>124805257
Good for antags, gold slime grenades will fuck up a crew.

In charge of borers and adamantine golems, which are a good way to get players into the shift, but if it's not extended you'll rarely remain undisturbed long enough to farm either, and if it IS extended you'll have no ghosts for either.

Sepia camera is a gimmick item that lets you take pictures of ghosts, but sepia slimes are a huge pain to get and there's no need to ever make a second. Chaplain might ask you for one.

Everything else produced by slimes is better produced elsewhere with the possible exception of metal from metallic slimes, which are pretty handy because they are super easy to get (but they are also obsoleted by a decent miner)
>>
>>124805410
Sounds pretty cool actually. Also noticed there's the Mechanic now, how long ago was that put into the game? Last I remember, that was the Custodial Closet. From what I can tell, Mechanic is just another way for shitters to get their hands on ChemMasters, Autolathes etc.

Besides, R&D can supply pretty much every machine in existence.
>>
>>124805515
>Shitters
Why didn't you stay gone?
>>
>>124805570
Triggered much? People use the word "shitter" in just about every video game discussion thread in existence.
>>
>>124805515
Mechanic does all the gimmick science/engineering jobs. He's responsible for
>Upgrading machines
>Provisioning the engineering team (filling soldering irons, printing circuit boards, making RCDs, etc.)
>Telecoms repair
>Spacepod fabrication
>General engineering duties in the absence of a more dedicated engineer

In practice there are some good mechanics and some bad mechanics. Though to be honest I haven't seen many mechanics at all lately.
>>
>>124805410
Even in mid-lowpop there are at least 3 ghosts at roundstart. For extended there's always a good amount of ghosts.
>>
>>124805728
>Upgrading machines
So basically taking a job from R&D.
>Provisioning the engineering team (filling soldering irons, printing circuit boards, making RCDs, etc.)
So.. R&D.
>Telecoms repair
Okay.
>Spacepod fabrication
Still don't understand their purpose.
>General engineering duties in the absence of a more dedicated engineer
So basically Engineer, but not Engineer.
>>
File: Probing free zone.png (495 KB, 915x990) Image search: [Google]
Probing free zone.png
495 KB, 915x990
>>124805410

>>124805632
Not that at all. Your attitude towards other crew is atrocious. If you aren't attacking people for no reason there's no problem and it makes things a lot less painful for multiple jobs to stay topped off on meds and chems they use in their job as well as pitch in during epidemics and when shit has gone to hell.. Especially in botany2 and the soon to be added botany3
>>
>>124805856
What the fuck are you whining at me about? If scientists actually played science to provision people we wouldn't have mechanics right now. No one plays science to be high tech cargo and sit next to the protolathe all shift. No one does. You can say that's their job but they don't do it.

They go do xenobio, or xenobotany, or telescience, or xenoarch, or bomb research. And they don't answer the bell ever. That's why we have mechanics.
>>
>>124805856
Exactly, it has no reason to exist over just putting the fabs in rnd and maybe adding a snowflake title if it makes people feel better but when did that ever stop people.
>>
>>124805876
The fuck are you even talking about? Clearly I stepped on your toes and you just went off the rails talking about shit not even related to me. A person isn't a shitter in my eyes by default, they have to earn that.
>>
>>124805987
It's the reverse, R&D has no business being in science. A mechanic sits in his workshop and provides for people all shift, a scientist never sits in R&D except when he needs something for whatever sub-job he's working on.
>>
>>124805970
>What the fuck are you whining at me about?
Take your chill pill Anon, it was merely a response, how you went from a regular response to whining is beyond me.

Just saying, Mechanic brings nothing new to the table other than pre-assembled packages machines.
>>
File: 1311728912781.png (18 KB, 243x260) Image search: [Google]
1311728912781.png
18 KB, 243x260
>>124806000
>>
>>124805970
>They go do xenobio, or xenobotany, or telescience, or xenoarch, or bomb research. And they don't answer the bell ever. That's why we have mechanics.

Same shit can be said about every role

>Let's make a class that looks like Engineer but isn't because people don't do their job as Engineer

What's next

>Let's make a job that is [Insert job here] but not [job] because people are too lazy to do their jobs
>>
>>124806191
You missed your chance to make this argument eight months ago. It's a little late. Especially to be saying stuff like "what's next" because we know what happened next, it has been more than half a year mate. It's literally the stupidest thing to end a sentence on.
>>
>>124806303
I'm not making an argument I'm just stating my opinion. Sounds a bit silly to me but whatever floats your boat these days.

"People don't want to do X so let's make job Y that is similar to job X but doesn't have as much shit to do in general so they might end up doing job X's job.. hopefully."
>>
>>124805970
>>124806303
The problem is with people tossing the hot potato on anyone with the scientist title when you're essentially bitching about why isn't the geneticist doing virology. Zero rnd staff and research would be a billion times more common if nearly everyone in sci didn't need or want something from it at some point. So of course they're not sitting there waiting for shit to be asked cause they're already doing another job. Having mechanics doesn't change this, just nobody is salty because when they see there's no mechanics then there's no mechanics and that's that. No butthurt. No waah rnd never does their job cause get this, there's no mechanics for you to cry about and guess what, none of those "scientists" picked researcher either. Instead there's an absurd double standard over it. And on the other side of the coin, so many of you buy into the rnd/sci is shit meme that you don't pda and talk to people in sci to request shit. So of course the people just doing enough research for mediborg upgrades and super cells or better stock parts for a heater isn't gonna bring your locker of medshit. Because that's that much longer they aren't working on what they joined to do so of fucking course you didn't get stuff. Because they were busy, you didn't talk to them because you were butthurt over past rounds with bad sci and are butthurt now instead of talking with sci like a rational person. So many times I've seen people bitching about how they didn't get something and they never talked to me.

What we needed was an alt title for telesci, research, misc research and then get make you set the alt-title when you up the priority off never and put the flatpack and gen fab shit in rnd. It was everything it needed without making a duplicate job and I said so at the time.
>>
>>124806784
Your post is a good example of why mechanics were necessary. To you, a scientist doing upgrades is like a geneticist doing virology (e.g.: something that would never be done, ever). Something totally out of their job description. Your way of thinking (scientists should never, ever hand out items or do upgrades) was very common, so they decided to make a job dedicated to that instead of trying to convince you it was your job.
>>
>>124806784
>mediborg upgrades and super cells or better stock parts for a heater isn't gonna bring your locker of medshit.
mate even the basic 5 minute research is enough for hyper cells and everything medbay could ever want
and medbays shit makes your ride smoother
>>
>>124807014
Remove the scientist title. Especially due to new players who don't know how to set alt-titles yet. Now you have a roboticist, a xenoarch, and a toxins guy. Now i's, well no wonder we didn't get any, there's no researcher. And that's the same thing with mechanics. Nobody bitches when there's no mechanic to do upgrades. But when it's "scientists" who aren't researchers anyway oh lawd dis anudda shoah! sci is shit!

Scientist should never have remained as a whole job or with a generic title as long as it has for that very reason. There's too many responsibilities that are attributed to it and people get butthurt when they're inconvenienced by someone who hasn't stopped doing their job to do one that isn't theirs. Having a mechanic didn't fix any of it. Just nobody cared that they didn't get upgrades cause of course they didn't, there was no mechanics. inb4 well that's what happened, they split it and gave it a not-rnd office, that needed not-research to make not-stock parts to not-upgrade not-machines with the not-minerals they didn't get pre-plastic stock parts just like anyone experienced playing rnd to be rnd would do.
>>
>playing on vore for lulz
>someone from another server recognizes me
>kidnaps me, knocks me out, and takes me to a hidden room in maint
>slams me on a table by a few intercoms
>Puts a gun to my head and says he will kill me unless i do what he says
>he ends up raping me with comms active, telling me to beg
>impregnates me multiple times
>after about 20 minutes sec finds the hidden room
>point-blanks me with a buckshot shell and escapes through space
>he wasn't even antag

The whole situation was hot but i couldn't bring myself to get off to it, oh well guess i'll stick to being a powergaming validhunter.
>>
>>124807516
Science should be split up into several jobs with limited access and outpost removed entirely.
>>
>>124807884
You know fucking nothing about xenoarch don't you.
>>
>>124807884
>ever asking for features to be removed to appease your autism

Can you please go away and stay gone now?
>>
>>124805987
>>124805856
lol

>no one does this shit
>new job gets added to do it
>WAH WHYS THIS JOB EXIST SCIENTISTS CAN JUST DO IT

yeah no. 2 years of the same exact meta: Scientists are rarely and barely interested in RnD.
>>
>>124808069
>yeah no. 2 years of the same exact meta: Scientists are rarely and barely interested in RnD.
It's not the game's fault it's the fucking players' fault.
>>
>>124807516
>huge textwall of bitching

Explain why we would even want you back on the server, then.
>>
File: 1448111423576.jpg (136 KB, 913x401) Image search: [Google]
1448111423576.jpg
136 KB, 913x401
>>124808110
And?

Players are more happy to play mechanic and do what you want, than scientist.

desu I don't understand why 1 or 2 recurring autists hate mechanics.
>>
>>124808013
Xenoarch can be moved to station. There's no reason to have an entire self sufficient station accessible only to a gun printing department.
>>
>>124808206
>Players are more happy to play mechanic
>play mechanic
Except I don't see people do this very often (except for assistants breaking in to get their own personal autolathe/chemmaster in some hidden nest), so I guess your strategy failed.
>>
>>124808036
>I want only positive responses and encouragement, please respect my safe space
No.
>>
>>124808238
It's ALREADY a pain in the ass to head to the research outpost to get a reading on a location, or bring an artifact in.

Now you want to move it even further away, and as a bonus you want these potentially round ending artifacts to be studied on the normal station.
>>
>>124808238
Well how do you suggest mining on the station?
>>
>>124808260
>my strategy
>like I coded any of this

>>124808343
I assume he meant xenoarch would have to take a shuttle to and from the roid to do half their job.
>>
>>124808314
>I'm right because I say I am, please remove this feature because it makes me rump roasted

The burden of not being a shitter is on YOUR head.
>>
>>124808343
Take the mining shuttle nerd.
>>
>>124808069
>Nobody picks mechanic
>Nobody cares cause nobody is in that slot
>Nobody picks researcher
>Uproar that nobody else in the dept that wasn't talked to stopped doing their job to do another

Yes, while rarely, it would happen. A couple of the Vox sci/RD's would go on upgrade benders for weeks at a time. That's a player problem, not a job problem.

>>124808206
It has no reason to exist when all it needed was an alt title instead of a cloned rnd. I did and often still do see a mechanic getting scans for an autolathe, and finishes a full rnd setup or gets access so he has research Before plastic stock parts you could say it was even worse cause it split rare minerals or one would get nothing. All they are is someone dedicated to the responsibilities of rnd and having 2 is silly.

>>124808238
Alright, riddle me this.
You're working in robotics one minute, the next you're in space with no station in sight. Your move hotshot.
You're working in toxins one minute, the next you fall over and are irradiated to death. Your move hotshot

What happened and what do you do.
It's on the outpost for good reason. Long range of those effects and more can wreck your day and while rare do happen and can fuck up the whole area.
>>
>>124808492
>hey cargo, open up
>no
>>
>people unironically demanding features removed because they don't like them

Go and gut the game more, why don't you? Surely it won't leave us a pathetic shell of what we could have been.
>>
>>124808583
>OPEN THIS DOOR OR I WELDERBOMB!
>MR. WELDERBOMB, TEAR DOWN THIS AIRLOCK!
>>
>>124808479
I see what you did there. You used the phrase "Burden on proof lays with the claimant" and changed it into an insult. Very nice argument.
>>
>>124808616
It's not like we don't like them, they're just redundant as hell

>Let's make this job because people in the other job won't do their job

That type of ass backwards logic is beyond me. Fix the fucking science job then by separating all the shit they can do and limiting their access accordingly.
>>
>>124808616
It's just redundant. Mechanics is rnd that can make flatpacks and if you need research you have to build a bunch or just get access to go use rnd to get research. It's silly.
>>
>>124808569
>not wanting !!FUN!! artifacts on station
>>
>>124808569
Alt titles are worthless. They're literally just fluff. Thinking that it'll change the fact that RnD is boring is idiotic, and this is from someone who does it as a scientist almost exclusively.
>>
14 grenades with two slimes made each.
Gold slimes probably would have been a lot more efficient but that was still neat.
>>
>>124808760
What bothers me is that they made it even lazier as a result

All a mechanic has to do is fucking scan a machine, input it, print the blueprint, then shit out the pre-packaged machine. Meanwhile R&D has to do research first, which they apparently don't do because it's either boring or they have other stuff they want to do.
>>
>>124808760
So are atmospherics techs when Engineers can do everything they do, or have Geneticists axed when a standard doctor can do genetics easily. Yet I see no demands to remove Atmosia or Geneticists.
>>
>>124808886
You can't remove Atmosia, people will choke Anon. Removing Atmos tech though? Then people will make a pseudo Atmos Tech because ENGINEERING WON'T DO THEIR JOBS EITHER!

Introducing.. the Atmospheric Mechanic. :^)
>>
>>124808781
That's not true though. Alt titles have different access levels uniforms and expectations.

You wouldn't bitch at a telecomms tech to fix atmos. They don't even have atmos access. But they're part of the Engineer job as an alt title.
>>
>>124808690
Who said the scientists had to do RnD OR ELSE?

I'd hate to have a dictator like you as my RD or any other head of Staff.
>>
>>124808781
I agree that it's boring as sin after you've done it a bunch. But there's still no justification for mechanics to exist when you could have put the fabs in rnd. If your job is (not)rnd who is secretly still rnd but needs to make a couple of his machines or just gets access to use rnd so he can do rnd stuff like upgrading, making machines, giving people goggles and medkits.

>>124808857
That reminds me, I gotta take a hostage with silver cores some time. It'd be hilarious to burst into food and alcohol when they get their valids
>>
>>124808970
>Literally shits out scrubbers and pumps out of nowhere to fix problems and uses an inflatable wall/door RCD

I can see it now

>>124809039
I never said that you chucklefuck, I'm all for separating it all into different functions.
>>
>>124808989
No they don't. There is literally nothing in the code saying they have different access.

At most, their jumpsuits are different colors. Are you stupid?
>>
>>124809102
I like them having shared access cause it's nice on lowpop to get the medborg a med upgrade and cell when it pda's me but I'd like there to be a researcher alt-tile so people get off my dick over my inability to read their minds while I'm doing my own thing.
>>
>>124809102
You go ahead and code it then, big boy. and never have it added, because the current system works fine as it is

Oh, and everyone forgets Mechanics have Telecomms access. Without them, who'd keep the radios running?
>>
>>124809123
oh right telecomm tech got separated out into the mechanic job slot.

I think you're right, currently all alt titles are the same.
>>
>>124809235
Just because I'm for something doesn't mean it has to appear in the game Anon, god damn. If people really want it badly enough, it will get coded anyway. No need to be a little pissy bitch about it.
>>
>>124809283
But you're the only one who does want it, and uppity assholes who haven't even played the game in months need to learn their place.
>>
>>124809235
nobody because I have to break in and fix shit myself every fucking time.
>>
>>124809331
>But you're the only one who does want it
Nice anon, just because someone has a different opinion than you they must be the only person in existence to have it right? Right? Clearly I stepped on your toes, I can just tell you're upset right now and I'm sorry if I caused that.

Also, I've most likely been playing the game longer than you. :^)
>>
>>124808672
BWOINK
>>
>>124809428
That's another person bruh.
>>
>>124809428
>says the man who hasn't been playing in months and can't be fucked to actually observe a game every now and then
>and also demands arbitrary feature removal

Oh, and tell me when RnD can produce shit like flashes, stun batons, riot shields, and so on. Mechanics can, but RnD can't.
>>
>>124809632
Does it even matter? When you post stupid shit, someone will tell you off on it. "You're the only one", do you even know how much of a statistical improbability that is?
>>
>>124809715
>says the man who hasn't been playing in months and can't be fucked to actually observe a game every now and then
I have no clue who you think I am, I've been playing all this time.
>and also demands arbitrary feature removal
Again, you seem to be confusing me with someone else. What I want is separating it all into different functions, restricting access accordingly. Never once did I say the game would be better off if we removed certain aspects.

It's the problem of everyone being Anonymous I suppose, you can't tell who's who.
>>
>>124809715
The whole point is the gen fab and flatpacks should have just been put in rnd rather than making a clone of rnd sans lathe and DA. Especially when in many rounds, they simply get scans or loot sec tech to make them to fulyl become a clone of rnd with gen fab and flatpacks. It's an unnecessary dupe.
>>
>>124809801
I'm against removing the shared access personally. It's fine in the day but having played in the days before, it makes lowpop a shithole and it's even more of a hell on borgs that need replacement components or a new chassis/jumpstart.
>>
>>124809959
Yeah you make a good point. Still, what stops people from picking an alt function and then running off to do other shit anyway?
>>
>>124809801
All that would do is get scientists to beg for more access to do what they were going to do anyway.

You have to make RnD actually appealing. Now it's just adding the same sequence of items into the DA and then basically becoming a glorified Cargo. That's not fun, and splitting accesses won't fix that.

Re-do RnD completely if you want people to do it, it's currently nothing more than a chore.
>>
>>124810045
Nothing. It adds maybe 2 whole minutes of getting the HoP to add access- just look at paramedics to see how that works.
>>
>>124810067
>>124810146
Yeah I'm agreeing on the access thing and also with R&D not being interesting enough to captivate people to keep doing it.
>>
>>124809845
Since when did RnD take care of telecommunications, or go out of their way to hack and upgrade machines? Or do all the little repair jobs that Engineers can't be bothered to do?

Stop looking at them as scientists and look at them as an extension of Engineering.
>>
>>124810067
>>124810237
My biggest problem with R&D is it requires no thought process
You make this simple list and you can max science within minutes by following it
>>
>>124808886
You can blame badclown for this

Last year being a chemist, MD, scientist, roboticist, atmos tech, station engineer actually meant something

After badclown everyone wanted expanded access so now everyone is superengineer, superdoc, superscientist
>>
>>124809959
I preferred when access was restricted. Now doctors just barge into chemistry and make what they want, scientists make mechs, and so on.

It was better before. What would be nice is if we got a comprehensive overhaul on access vs limited_access, the two different levels of access that are defined in the code.

Then, add a card swipe function that lets heads change the access levels to their departments doors. Then it would be the best of both worlds. People wouldn't have to deal with the bullshit when its low pop or there's no chemists etc. But jobs would be worth shit.
>>
>>124810382
Newfag here, explain what badclown is or was.
>>
>>124810045
Nothing. I just want to break the scientist = rnd meme. It's just so bizarre to justify the duplicate of a job based on people not doing a job they didn't join to do.

>>124810146
>tfw faggot HoP who's being shit on purpose

>>124810250
It all depends on the player which is nothing new. And maybe you should actually look at the mechanic as what it is. It's an rnd clone
A lot probably don't even know how to upgrade or what machines benefit and since you assfaggots get so goddamn stuck up your own asshole about the times science didn't bend over backwards to cater to you, you don't ask often enough and then it's oy vey sci didn't upgrade waaah. It's a player and a lack of information problem, not a job problem though mechanics did help get a lot of guides that were sorely needed to fix that issue. Just friggen talk to people more and be willing to teach them instead of being salty sci isn't an omnicient mind reader.

Can't find the pics if I took any but back when telcomms bombing/welderbombing was common I'd often go grab a freezer from the outpost then make a quick minitelcomms in telesci.
>>
>>124810623
our host once pretended to quit and opened another server under the name badclown.
>>
>>124810532
I would if there was a competency based whitelist to get into a job and we always had enough to staff the station with them being able to play for at least 90 minutes but we don't and that makes lowpop a sad hell of frustration. Especially when the HoP/cap is being a faggot.

I just smashed the window into chem all the time back then.
>>
>>124810756
How did that change how accesses work? I don't follow.

And this was before Pomf, right?
>>
>>124810689
Again, the deeper issue is that most scientists don't want to bore themselves with RnD. They have toxins, Xenobio, telesci, and even xenoarchaeology. Given all the cool shit they can do there, the only reason most do RnD is for the guns.

As long as RnD is a mindless, unrewarding grind, not a single scientist will do it willingly. As a frequent RD, I end up doing it all myself simply because nobody else will do it. Make it more like Goon's RnD, where they have that EXPERIMENTR dooodad that makes it fun instead.
>>
>>124811471
You should word more carefully, by grind you mean boring right, not something that takes a long time? R&D takes a few minutes at round start to practically max.
>>
>>124811471
Previously, engineers didn't have access to atmos. Scientists didn't have access to robotics. Et cetera.
>>
>>124811471
Why can't all those other neat things be a reward for maxing out research? Once you're done with that you're free to do with you want, but expect people to request shit from your autolathes and crap.
>>
>>124811581
Yes, although some people make it take a lot longer than it needs to be due to not knowing just the right combination of junk to put in the DA.

>>124811610
I get that, but what was the rationale for the change to start with?
>>
>>124811692
What else
>Low pop
>Be Engineer or Scientist
>No Atmos Tech or Roboticist etc
>No HoP
>Have to fucking break in just to do someone else's job which you can also do because it's easy shit
>>
>>124811692
I don't recall.
>>
>>124811471
I can do rnd as a derelict mommi pretty fast, sometimes I have to anyway to get that chem dispenser.
theres a slight joke in there though that a russian crab with a mere 50 sheets of metal and glass can do nearly the entire database, or at least enough to get shit it needs.
>>
>>124811692
R&D can be played by a blind man

3x mech syringe gun
atmos analyzer
2x high capacity energy cell
blah blah
WOW CONGRATS YOU'RE AN ELITE SCIENTIST
>>
If /vg/ had attack animations, that would be cool.
>>
>>124812090
I want advanced CQC
>Disarm grab guy on floor to pin them
>Countering
>>
Best thing about ss13 was the greentext stories.

>where are they faggots?
>>
>>124812090
I strongly disagree
>>
>>124812179
Countering would only work if attacks took time and if one guy threw his punch earlier, it would do double damage or something and stop the other guy's attack
>>
>>124812347
>Split attacks into fast, normal and heavy
>Fast is perfect for counters and using your opponent's strenght against them
>Normal is balanced and good in practically any situation if your reflexes/timing is good
>Heavy is great for when you surprise someone, get a lot of damage in before switching to normal/fast

CODE IT
WE DF NOW
>>
>>124812512
>you have to be actually robust now
dont push my comfort zone anon or ill throw a fit
>>
>>124812512
It wouldn't take much to turn SS13 combat into DF-like combat.

Game already takes into account damage to individual limbs and such, you'd just need more individual shit that can get hit and damaged, bones to break.
>>
>>124812090
It would be but the only server that has them is hippie, and it has a lot to be desired.
>>
>>124812969
Then we must do it right
>>
>>124813687
I don't think anyone would object to movement or attack animations but it is a challenge.
>>
>round last night
>dick around with Natalya, she breaks into Security checkpoint for hats and gives me one too
>get her a cigar in return
>chill in the bar
>she becomes CMO
>i get Terry to wear a swimsuit
>go to show Natalya in a swimsuit
>suddenly bombs
>find HoP id on the HoP's gibbed corpse
>Terry tells me i should become the hero this station needs
>go to investigate toxins
>science blows up a second before we get there
>the plot thickens
>theorize that the bomber's next target is Engineering
>head there through maintenance
>suddenly the RD Plasmaman
>everything comes together and shout at him that HE'S the bomber!
>he starts acting dodgy and moving close to us and then backing off
>Terry falls over and he grabs her
>i push him over, slam him into a window and shout out he's the bomber
>he triggers a voice-activated bomb and all three of us get gibbed
>based Natalya heard what i shouted out and the RD doesn't get cloned

That was a fun round.
>>
>>124813756
>FF
no wonder why we got waifu posters here
>>
What if the AI had laws against genetic powers that made it actively try to kill mutants by default?

Would it stem the tide of geneticist shittery?
>>
File: FRIEND COMPUTER.png (183 KB, 794x1123) Image search: [Google]
FRIEND COMPUTER.png
183 KB, 794x1123
>>124814607
THIS RESPONSE IS FOR ULTRA-VIOLET EYES ONLY. VIEWING THIS MESSAGE WITHOUT PROPER CLEARANCE IS GROUNDS FOR TERMINATION.

Friend computer is downloading "Dreammaker" to rectify the issue as we speak!
>>
>>124812081
>>124811878
Yeah, proving my point quite nicely.

So how would you improve RnD so it was actually fun while remaining as useful as it is to everyone who isn't a scientist?
>>
>>124814897
Remove it.

It ruins game balance.

Introduce new research mechanics based on bombs.
>>
>>124813740
I semiactively object to animations.
>>
>>124815198
You keep saying that but not why.
>>
>>124815050
>RnD, we need advanced trauma and burn kits!
>they blow up half the station attempting to research said kits

I fail to see how that can end badly.
>>
>>124815318
that's where the semi- plays its part
>>
>>124814897
Give RnD the ability to make completely new computers/machines/parts that do neat shit, instead of working towards being able to build mostly stuff that is already available anyway.

Spice that shit up senpai
>>
>>124815484
>instead of getting cool parts to upgrade machines or a billion guns, the protolathe churns out flatpacks of unique, rare, and exotic machines depending on research
Fund it.
>>
>>124815050
>instead of deconstructing items you purchase research levels with bhangs
>>
>>124815914
Oh my god.

What if the bhangmeter dispensed tokens called bhangs depending on how big the theoretical yield of a bomb was

And those tokens can be used to buy toxins-related items, like extra TTVs, golden bombsuits, who knows what else.

It'd make sense considering the station's goal is plasma research.
>>
>>124816110
The BIg Bhang Theory.

ZIMBABWE
>>
>>124811852
>break in
>can't even do have the roboticist/sci shit cause the fabs/DA are Id locked
>Can't fix the blind half dead borg cause no access, there's no AI or other borgs, and the spare got niggered by some dickbutt who didn't leave it after updating his

>>124812090
If you stayed in your containment server, that would be cool.
>>
Dorfstation 13 when
>Map is mines, mines and more mines
>Mine too deep and you unleash the clowns
>>
>>124815484
Closest thing to that we have right now is the Nanotrasen Experimental tech tree, and that's only accessible via Cargo. Even then, its exactly one level. Now let's see what it opens up:

>Hookshot: Miners are the only ones who would get real use out of them, and their vending machines already dispense them.
>Ricochet Rifle: Explain to me again why I would want a gun which is more likely to harm the user than anyone else.
>Gravity Well Gun: Fun, but expensive and needs you to give up a BoH to push Bluespace research high enough to access it.

Keep the guns by all means, but add the possibility of creating unique new machines and gadgets too. Hell, let the mechanic in on the fun by allowing his DA to scan the new gadgets for mass production and add an element of randomization into the machines in a way that its tricky to make one with the exact same functions twice in a row.

Ideas for them:
>Something similar to the matter replicator artifact, but with a UI that isn't outright gibberish
>X-ray lasers, which are still in the code and show up on occasion as a xenoarchaeology gun type.
>Some of the junk that only seems to spawn in adminbus otherwise, such as the Lawgiver or the advanced clown shoes.

And I'm sure there's other things we could add too.
>>
>>124816110
>bomb tokens
>cyber tokens
>slime tokens
>artifact tokens
>bluespace tokens
>place tokens in science redemption machine, get items
>>
>>124816341
>Temporal Phase Shifter
>Requires a cell to run, allows the user to phase through shit like a Phazon would
>Running out of energy while phasing through something gibs you
>>
>>124816357
>every completed cyborg, mech or MoMMI is a token
>every ten processed slimes are a token
>every small artifact is a token and every large artifact is ten tokens
>no idea how to make telesci give tokens

Now we just need cool shit that goes in the machine.
>>
>>124816341
>Summon guns wizard on deff
>Start bunkering up
>Murderboning faggot of an RD shoots me with ricochets until dead
>>
>>124816503
He must have been a good shot. Most people just end up shooting themselves with it because of a stray ricochet.
>>
>>124816470
>no idea how to make telesci give tokens
Every item successfully teleported to the telepad is a token. Each person is 10 tokens.
>>
>>124816626
That'd be so easy to exploit though, you could get infinite tokens for no work.
>>
>>124816683
Give them nothing cool to spend their tokens on so it's bragging rights
>>
>>124816470
Let me think.
>Otherwise unobtainable mech weapons- specifically the missile launcher and the heavy pulse rifle
>Exotic guns, like the Mind Flayer and the Combine Overwatch Rifle
>Artifact pinpointers that can be show where large artifacts are hidden without the tedious process of triangulation
>Slime Repellant-Suit: even when hungry or rabid, slimes will never attack the user as long as he's wearing this. The one useful thing about slime-people minus the weakness to cold.
>>
>>124817296
Maybe Reinforced Plasma/Oxygen tanks that can hold more?

Or a three-way TTV for some reason?

Disks for specific research groups that add one level to that group?
>>
File: 197268.jpg (246 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
197268.jpg
246 KB, 640x426
>take a couple weeks off from mechanic to play medbay and security
>"NO ON PICKS MECHANIC"
>"just get rid of it. a scientist can do it"
Pretty much the entire purpose is to be a liaison between the crew/engineering and science department since science couldn't give a fuck about anything but their own pet projects.

Mechanic is the job that can play as anything depending on how you play it. It's for the player who has an idea and wants to make it without having to get hassled by chem for acid, because you need to print 20 different machine circuitboards, to bring to R&D only to discover R&D isn't done and then can't get an engineer to fix the door access to your new idea. Mechanics are self sustained. You can do anything.
>>
>>124817652
Typical mechanic, can't even follow the discussion.
>>
>>124817652
>Mechanics are self sustained
>dependant on having a miner bro or engiborg
>>
File: postie.jpg (13 KB, 287x175) Image search: [Google]
postie.jpg
13 KB, 287x175
>tfw when probe agreed to be your senpai
>>
>successfully brought one person back from the dead
I feel so accomplished
>>
>be mime
>arrive to the station
>nigger acusses me of being a vamp
>then of being a ling
>hug him
>tables me and the janitor
>toolbox to the head
>he and some woman kills me
>get lasered and beheaded just cause he told them i was a vamp
>no evidence whatsoever
>my body is not even send to the chapel
>real vamp fucks robotics while im a brain thing
>get borged
>kill the vampire
>round ends and i stun everyone outta rage
>>
>>124817652
>Before plastic stock parts, had to beg the miner for minerals or steal from science just to do his job
>Has to make his own DA and autolathe or use rnd's. Probably even needs access to use the DA
The only point is being able to set restricted access on doors which is irrelevant at best.
>>
Giving every department tokens and a token redemption machine for doing their job a la Goon Job Objectives, and getting RnD stuff for your department out of it to make your job easier and not rely on RnD because RnD is never done and is shit, would be pretty cool.

Medical Redemption machine would give advanced burn/trauma kits and incision management systems, Sec Redemption would get AEGs and stun revolvers, Botany Redemption would get somatorays and exotic seeds, etc.
>>
>>124818629
wrong. Everything you need to do engineering has been converted to plastic. 40 plastic will print you an RPE and parts to last all shift. The only reason a mechanic would need minerals anymore is to print a bag of holding, guns, or special surgical tools. All you need is metal and glass. Both of which can be ordered through cargo.
>>
>>124818823
baka
>>
>>124818974
>Getting in range of a faggot after he's comitted grand faggotry
>Standing still long enough to get tabled
Own fault
>>
>kill vampire with lasers
>he had an axe so grab that and start fucking his head up
>turns out I gave him too much burn damage so I couldn't cut the head off without surgery of some kind
I should have just activated my emergency grenade on top of his ass and gibbed him.
>>
>>124819136
What job were you? Once you know there's a lingpire you should make a stop at cargo to get a saw. Put it in your box, carry a table parts, kill, slam and decap on the spot. There's a couple ghetto saws if you look hard enough.
>>
>>124819008
next to the mechanic's office in tech storage there's both an autolathe board and a DA board. They only thing a mechanic needs to get started on R&D is a console screen which you can get from deconstructing the reverse engine. That goes to finishing the autolathe which will print another console screen to replace the one you took. A destructive analyzer used with a mechanic's console doesn't require any addition access to be used by a mechanic.
>>
>>124819275
Research. Could have made one easily but it never occurred to me.
>>
>>124819465
You should have had 2 or 3 explosion grenades. Easier to toggle your magbutts clip then pop him
>>
>>124819375
You're missing the point. you're still a redundant rnd knock-off that has no reason to exist over rnd just having the gen fab, printers, and reverse engine.
>>
>>124819749
And science can make all of those machines given some time to rnd if they really want to.
>>
>>124819375
>reverse engine has the fabled console screen

Thanks m8. I hadn't looked too hard but good to know where it went.
>>
>>124819565
Had one in my pocket. Was triggered with a voice analyzer so I could set it off the if the vampire ever stunned me. Had an AEOD suit, too.
The problem is that I was in medical, which I really didn't want to depressurize.
>>
>>124819870
You can also get the microwave console screen in the ghetto bar.
Or make a chem dispenser and use the console screen from it to make an autolathe, then replace that.
>>
>>124819963
Target your mouth and shoot yourself with a stun revolver or have someone stun you then test your phrase some time.
Misc research best sci dept 2555
>>
>>124819058
I'd actually code a token system if i knew how to code, but i don't. I'm just an idea man.
>>
>>124819862
>if they really want to

There's those words again, and you missing the point that they DON'T want to. Are you going to keep ignoring that point?
>>
>>124819058
>powergaming for tokens
>>
>>124819749
My point wasn't that they CAN do R&D. My point is what you do after R&D is done. What does a science do? When he finishes R&D? Make some stuff for medbay? Print a couple guns? That's his entire interaction with the research he just finished. So he just doesn't care. What does a mechanic do? A mechanic prints out 20 super cells to put in a gadget bag then walks around the station checking his PDA for low power alerts and swapping out APCs. A mechanic builds circuit boards for new machines like chem dispensers in botany and hacked autolathes for security. A mechanic upgrades chem, genetics, cloning, and sleepers. A mechanic goes out into the station and makes things with the research. The scientist stays in his department and experiments. That's the difference.
>>
What is the most shit science department?
>>
>>124820521
Robotics, by virtue of the kinds of players that frequent it.
>>
>>124820521
Robotics, definitely.
>>
>>124820521
the ones with the most waifus because waifus a shit
so robotics/xenobio
>>
>>124819058
Those objectives, or at least something like them, are already in the code. As far as I know it won't take that much effort to re-implement them.

https://github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13/blob/Bleeding-Edge/code/game/jobs/job_objective.dm
>>
>>124820365
And that did not and never has needed a poor duplicate of an existing job. That's a problem with the player and the lack of splitting "scientist" or forcing alt-titles to avoid it being a catch-all which we covered in hours of shtposting you skimmed over.

>>124820521
Robotics.Being unable to crowbar the life of the a roboticist that is incapable of repairing you or hacking then replacing his apc cell sparks hate beyond words.
>>
http://ss13.pomf.se/media/source/emagged/THEME_OF_SCOTLAND_SCOTLAND_FOREVER_SCOTLAND_REMIX_medium.m4a
>>
>>124820717
>HoP's objectives

>Require that staff take a daily exercise regiment.
>Declare that lights are a waste of company resources.
>If there is a clown on board, attempt to assign him somewhere else, this is not a time to be silly.
>Mandate that permits are required for eyewear.
>Mandate that permits are required for security equipment.
>Mandate that permits are required for satchels.
>Mandate that permits are required for spacesuits and helmets.
>Mandate that permits are required for utility belts.
>Mandate that permits are required for toolboxes.
>Mandate that permits are required for Medkits.
>Mandate that staff members must have photo identity at all times.
>Mandate that all monkeys should be used in the kitchen.
>Mandate that no monkeys should be used in the kitchen.
>You believe yourself to be the one really in command, with the Captain being a figurehead.
>The bar needs to renew its liquor license.

So much wasted potential.
>>
File: 74468.jpg (53 KB, 508x600) Image search: [Google]
74468.jpg
53 KB, 508x600
>>124820806
>And that did not and never has needed a poor duplicate of an existing job.
R&D isn't a job. It's like calling cryomix a job. It's something that needs to be done for the station to function properly.
>That's a problem with the player, and the lack of splitting "scientist" or forcing alt-titles to avoid it being a catch-all, which we covered in hours of shtposting you skimmed over.
I woke up an hour ago. Was up late watching Jessica Jones.
>>
>>124821215
The only thing that was removed was the blurb of text that people ignored at round start.

You can do all these things right now.
>>
>tfw mech syringe guns don't actually stop trying to synth reagents even after the mechs destroyed
holy waste of processing power!
>>
>>124821215
It would give the HoP something to do after they're done handing out more access at he start of the round.
>>
>>124821374
I hate fun
-Probe
>>
>>124821224
>I do rnd's stuff like research, upgrade, make people items and machines
>B-but i'm not rnd!
Whatever.

>>124821374
The goon objectives to be as bad as possible at your job without getting fired/killed was the greatest.

>>124821397
>You'll never implant mech syringe guns in the HoS to the tune of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjR4_CbPpQ
>>
>>124821215
>implying you are robust enough to enforce that
>>
File: 1448423291879.jpg (21 KB, 252x291) Image search: [Google]
1448423291879.jpg
21 KB, 252x291
>>124821651
>Stay a while and listen little assistants
>There is a scheme afoot to oust me. For every head of a rebel scum you will receive all access! Take care of the men listed on my notice board and their wealth will be your wealth!
>>
>>124821603
I'm sayin you know, you can do this right now. This very round. Maybe. If there isn't a HoP. You could join and be the HoP and do these things.

The only difference is you don't get a little ticker tape that tells you how to play.
>>
>Sec objectives
>Enforce the law.
>Arrest someone for bullying.
>Keep records of every arrest you make.
>Dress up like a mall cop.
>Place out caution tape at crime scenes.
>Successfully interrogate a criminal.
>Be polite to anyone who you arrest whilst still giving them their punishment.
>Arrest people for one second longer than their intended time.
>>
>>124820806
Alt-titles having limited access would change nothing but the number of people the HoP has to deal with since they'd just ask for full access to their department anyway. That was also covered in said "hours of shitposting". It would solve nothing, and would only further ensure nobody would do RnD.

A better solution is to do one or more of the following:
*Make upgrading machines so vitally important that doing so would be a necessity rather than something to do when you don't feel like doing anything else. For example, an unupgraded SMES might have a chance of breaking down and becoming unable to charge unless its parts were replaced. Or the items produced by an autolathe might be misshapen and useless- in short, it would not only make them work better, but would also stop them from outright malfunctioning.
*Make the RnD process itself more rewarding, and less about mindlessly dumping the same sequence of useless junk into the DA. Like I pointed out, it's mindless, tedious work with no real reward and time better spent on something more fun. It's the kind of thing I'd have an assistant do if I could trust them not to print a bunch of guns and terrorize the station with them.
*Have someone (the RD, the Captain, or even the admins if you really wanted them to meddle this much) babysit the scientists every second and do everything short of throwing them into the RnD room and bolting/shocking the doors if it means forcing them.tobpay attention to research. Note that not only would this engender resentment among the players, it would also be a headache to enforce in its own right. Splitting up the scientist job into sub-jobs would be equally counterproductive: instead of having people who could do research but choose not to, they'll select all the sub-jobs derived from the scientist position except the one specifically focused on RnD so nobody will be able to do it at all.
>>
>>124821830
>>124821985
Know what I miss, probe-sempai? Being security and using fuel tanks for DYNAMIC ENTRY through doors and other obstacles I can't open. There was just something magical about blowing the front of cargonia open with a fuel tank before chucking a banger and lethaling everyone in the dept before sorting out who was mutinous scum and who were weak scum who stood by as mutinous scum mutinied.

>>124822056
It was also covered how it was not for limited access but avoiding people especting things from people who aren't there for that job.
>>
Why don't we just remove science's ability to make shit in the first place?

The game was fine without /tg/'s shitty science department for 7 years. The station never burned down because you couldn't jam 3 chloral syringes into a single syringe gun.

We have a lot of unnecessary departments that really only end up making the game worse, but for some reason people think the game is unplayable without them.

The game would be seriously improved if the following changes were made:
>RnD removed entirely
>Genetics removed entirely, the only duty for geneticists is to clone people.
>Mechanics stay as the "technical engineers", the engineers who set up cool shit and make projects
>Return of mailman job
>Unban 2hotdogs

Okay maybe not that last one, but god damn. RnD is easily the most abused department in the fucking game. It has become so fucking commonplace that it has essentially replaced cargo, so much so that our fucking retarded mappers added A STOREFRONT TO RND.

Think about that for a second.

Or even better!

RnD can't mass-print shit, and research unlocks new shit for cargo to order. Want your advanced trauma kits? Get cargo to order them after the research has been sent to Central Command you lazy fucks.

God damn sometimes this playerbase is retarded.
>>
>>124822056
>in short, it would not only make them work better, but would also stop them from outright malfunctioning.
Guess what
That's how it was before
AND IT WAS SHIT
>>
File: tumblr_nli8zkPv3j1skzkffo1_500.png (273 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nli8zkPv3j1skzkffo1_500.png
273 KB, 500x388
>>124822238
>Making reasonable, sensible suggestions to improve gameplay balance
Nah you are going to get met with heavy resistance for messing with the status quo. You'll either be met with poor refutation or "WEHN U CODE IT xD!"

A shame, because this is actually a good idea.
>inb4 cargo has 2 much power!!!!
>>
>>124822238
These are terrible ideas. I'd rather unban doschorizo.
>>
>>124822238
WEHN U CODE IT xD!
>>
>>124822217
>It was also covered how it was not for limited access but avoiding people especting things from people who aren't there for that job.

That only works if people didn't expect those things anyway. In a medium or heavy RP server that might work, but in here you'd just get people demanding that you do the job you don't want to do anyway, or they'll break in and do it themselves.
>>
>>124822536
How is making science less of a supply department than the actual fucking supply department a bad idea?
>>
>>124822217
Ask the Warden/HoS for the battering ram. Sec has tons of cool toys man. I don't see them used nearly enough.
>>
>>124822056
Adding more busywork or a more involved rnd only works in highpop where it's all but assured that there's someone that feels like doing it. Otherwise you're taking a giant steaming dump on people who just need a couple things for heir project. And you belief that assistants would be terrorizing anything but antags and griefers with them shows what you are. It'd be exceptionally terrible in lowpop where no power, nobobdy incl the guy who stole the spare not filling in on HoP duty, no power, no medbay staff, nobody in cargo, etc. just makes the round that much more shit.

Just have Rei ban more people for not playing how he wants them to in their leisure time they are spending attemptiong to have fun with despite not breaking any rules. RIP Geneticist.
>>
>>124822238
>implying that wouldn't make RnD completely useless if there was no Cargo staff present
>implying Cargo wouldn't just use the research to order even more guns and make Cargonia even more insufferable than it already is.

They can already make a goddamn SINGULARITY if they wish, why do you want to give them even more shit they can't be trusted with?

Do you just not think about how these ideas might actually work in practice before you post them?
>>
>>124822610
Since he refuses to respond, let me tell you what he's thinking:

>I didn't sign up for scientist so I can do all the hardwork to get my gunz just so I can ask cargo for them and they can deny me!
>>
>>124822795
>>124822282
Which is why I was personally in favor of the second option I listed. The proverbial stick isn't working, so try using the carrot for a change.
>>
>>124822673
Yep, I do that sometimes when the round is especially shit. fuel tank was more fun though.
I got bwoinked once for ramming too many doahs.It hurt muh feelings
But not as much of the feeling of being betrayed by a shitter HoP
>>
>>124822869
>Implying there are never any cargo staff
If there are no cargo staff there's enough supplies on the station to last 3-4 hours of gameplay.

>They can already make a goddamn singularity
If they either steal engineering access or an emitter. But making a singularity in cargo as non-antag has been a bannable offense for quite a while.

But ah yes, giving cargo access to laser surgery tools and burn kits will surely close the gap to make them the ULTIMATE powergamer department.

>Do you just not think about how these ideas might actually work in practice before you post them?

Because it's so much better for scientist to be able to arm their fucking department better than Deathsquad in 10 minutes from roundstart.

That makes much more fucking sense.
>>
>>124822610
>1: cargo is even more dysfunctional than the mechanics' and science
>2: crew would be charged from their personal accounts for parts that they need to do their job
>3: department heads typically don't exist and never share department funding
>4: no one has any way of getting money back into department funding other than having the HoP pull money out of thin air
You're asking the entire station to run on a broken economy with the keystone being reliance on cargotechs to do their job properly. Gee I wonder what could go wrong?

Also if you ever played a geneticist you would know that cloning people is a very small put of the job. They would have nothing to do for literally hours. Especially on extended. It's such a small part of the job that hardly anyone ever asks them to do it. Typically the first doctor with a patient treats the patient until they leave medbay. And a geneticist is never the first with a patient. People come to geneticists for knowledge of defects and powers. How to cure a stutter without blocking their telepathy. How to turn people into skeletons. How to make plasmamen survive on the station without suits.
>>
>>124822238
Powers research really should be a separate job.Or at least have a alt-title so people can know in advance that I don't give a fuck and if they have a problem with it they're getting the disability monkey syringe.
>>
>Clown Objectives

>You are a mouse.
>Grunt ominously whenever possible.
>Epilepsy is fun, flicker lights whenever you can!
>Your name is Joe 6-pack.
>Refer to humans as puppies.
>Insult heads of staff on every request, while acquiescing.
>Advertise parties in your office, but don't deliver.
>The ship needs elected officials.
>Only bearded people are human.
>Turn on the microphone on every intercom you see.
>Wrench is a lightbulb.
>Toolbox is a medkit.
>Everyone is wearing a pretty pink dress!
>The monkeys are plotting a hostile takeover of the ship. Inform the crew, and get them to take action against this.
>Refer to the captain as "Princess" at all times.
>The crew must construct additional pylons.
>You must always lie.
>All answers must be in the form of a question.
>The station is an airplane.
>Happiness is mandatory.
>Today is laundry day.
>The word "it" is painful to you.
>You must act passive aggressively.
>Crew ranks have been reversed.
>It's Friday.
>It's backwards day.
>Give relationship advice to anyone who speaks to you.
>You are the ship psychologist. Give advice to the crew.
>You do not have to do anything for anyone unless they say "please"
>>
>>124822869
>They can already make a goddamn SINGULARITY if they wish, why do you want to give them even more shit they can't be trusted with?
They can also get combat shotguns and eguns and flamethrowers lickety fucking split. It isn't like already don't have access to all the guns and ammo they could ever need, yet you don't see cargo running around in full combat gear every round, do you?

It's a nice thought, but there's no reason to think that they are going to abuse the already nerfed to hell advanced egun anymore than they abuse the regular egun.

But no god forbid the supply department is the supply department and the RnD department only exists to develop and research new technologies instead of mass producing guns. Oh what a terrible fate that would be for spacemans everywhere!
>>
>>124823558
imagine a clown doing all of this at the same time
>>
File: 1421449852699.gif (496 KB, 465x360) Image search: [Google]
1421449852699.gif
496 KB, 465x360
>>124823558
>Advertise parties in your office, but don't deliver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0
>>
>>124823381
Hence why you remove the job entirely.

Powers are a fucking retarded mechanic.
>>
>>124822943
See also:
>Medbay needing advanced kits et al. ASAP and not having the time to wait for the supply shuttle before the WILD RIDE goes into overdrive
>Cargo being more easily broken into, so any antag would be able to have an arsenal outstripping the armory.
>Lack of a cargo staff preventing any of those toys from even being ordered, which would be even worse if no HoP or captain was there to provide access
>the research process itself is still boring as hell, and now since they need Cargo for shit to throw into the DA it'll take longer too

>>124823219
I'm sorry, when could Science make one-hit crit guns and armor that protects people from just about everything?
>>
>>124823782
I'd be more in favor that then exiling them to limbo.
>>
>>124823219
>Walk to atm
>Transfer funds
>Order 30 crates of riot gear, ballistics, experimental, weapons, energy gear crates, and 3 emitter crates
>blow them open
>We're in riot gear with riot shields with eguns and combat shotguns by approximately 6 minutes after roundstart
Ban cargo when?

>Clown
>Wait 5 minutes for people to go on patrol
>Hack into sec
>Loot armory
>Shoot them all until they explode
Ban tools when?
All airlocks replaced with the original code for secure airlocks with randomized wires for each door and added protections to delay hacking when?
>>
So would the station be able to function just fine with one engineer running off solar power?
Why do we even need other jobs then?
>>
>>124823623
If you want them to research, MAKE RESEATCH ITSELF LESS BORING!

How is it everyone trying to fix Research misses the blatant fact that nobody does it because it's dull as shit? Want people to do it? Then make it as fun as all the other science departments, you fucking idiots.
>>
>>124820806
This was all discussed when the mechanic was created. It's not fucking hard to understand, these arguments were the same as before.

The bottom line is that science hates research. They act like mother fucking teresa for doing the bare minimum... and getting a scientist, who wants to fuck off to their many things, to upgrade parts across the station? Pffffhahahaha good luck my nigger.

Research is fine in science. It's the only thing science truly does that is useful. But there needed to be a research alternative. And someone whose JOB is to upgrade parts, because it simply never got done. Ever.

>>124822056
There's already been a wave of updates that make upgrades more substantial. The cloning machine is atrocious as is. As long as coderbus continues this theme (and they've done a decent job parts-wise) replacing parts will see more action.
>>
File: 1445348767729.png (1 MB, 441x603) Image search: [Google]
1445348767729.png
1 MB, 441x603
>>124823958
Why do we need the game at all?
>>
MAKE SPACE GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>124823558
>Mime Objectives
>
>>
File: 1393474699670.jpg (36 KB, 500x561) Image search: [Google]
1393474699670.jpg
36 KB, 500x561
>>124823834
>Get ablative, dual riot shields
>Take hyperzine
>tfw shield bashing people to death

>>124824046
I like it being a boring 5 minute chore that I can finish myself then get on with what I wanted to do without having to deal with faggots. the less points of failure the better until we have whitelists and ss13 becomes the hip thing where it's easy to have 40 player rounds all day and night.

>>124824132
>Still doing the scientist = rnd dance
Right, cause everyone spams how mechanics are shitters for not upgrading and making them stuff when there aren't any right? Oh wait. Check your privilege science scum!
>>
File: A SCREAMING SKULL.jpg (92 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
A SCREAMING SKULL.jpg
92 KB, 600x600
BOTANY3 SOONER THAN EVER
>>
>>124824132
That's why I keep saying that the actual research process should be improved as well to make it as fun as all the other science shit, as well as something that the scientists themselves will benefit from by doing in a way that doesn't necessarily involve guns. Make them want to do research, and let the mechanics actually focus on upgrading.

Limit pod bay access to them too. Why is there even public access to an area that allows anyone with spare time to make a.durable vehicle that just so happens to have tasers as an attachment?
>>
>>124823834
>medbay needing advanced kits ASAP
Medbay should learn how to use drugs and how to fucking stock up.
>Cargo being more easily broken into
Nigger what. RnD and cargo are both a fucking window away from getting broken into.

The key difference is that the Cargo computer not only tells you who ordered what, it requires you have access to cargo in the first place to order anything, and there is always going to be at least one cargo tech or QM in the department at all times. RnD's computer needs to be locked, which it never is and is usually vacant
>Lack of cargo staff preventing any of these toys from being ordered
The only time there isn't cargo (especially w/ no hop or cap) is when it's super lowpop and even then that's pretty iffy.
And on lowpop you absolutely will never need anything from RnD. Guaran-fucking-tee it. The station is supplied out the ass. use what you have instead of being a wasteful fuck.

>Research process is still boring
Hence the more extreme option, remove the fucking mechanic from the game in the first place.

Also:
>one-hit crit guns and armor that protects people from just about everything
>one-hit crit
It does 10 more burn than the laser cannon and is not a fucking 1 hit crit you retard.
>armor that protects people from just about everything
Literally the same protection as the captain's SWAT suit. Also armor in this game means jack fucking shit.

But you unironically believed that pulse rifles are a "one hit crit" like an energy axe, so you clearly have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>124823558
>Give relationship advice to anyone who speaks to you.
>Assistant: "Hi clown"
>"Hey, Assistant. I heard you got a crush on that waifu of yours. Let me help you with that. I'll slip them, and you can beat me up some then help them up to be their knight in shining armor. What do you say?"
>>
>>124823934
Why should science function as a supply department?
>>
File: 1445041919747.png (76 KB, 662x413) Image search: [Google]
1445041919747.png
76 KB, 662x413
>>124824501
>Of all things about pods, worried about just the tasers
Balance discussions req a whitelist when?
>>
File: 1448138578410.jpg (22 KB, 418x305) Image search: [Google]
1448138578410.jpg
22 KB, 418x305
>>124824512
If you eliminate science from making things then who are the miners delivering minerals to? Or should we cut them as well?

Why do we need chefs when we can order pizza? Cut them as well.

Why do we need engineering when we can power the whole station off batteries ordered from cargo? Cut them as well.

Why do we need anything other than assistants, security, and cargo?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 135

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.