[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stellaris
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74
File: header.jpg (23 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
23 KB, 460x215
what's the /v/erdict?

why are there 80k people playing this on steam?
>>
It's fun if you are into global strategy and space. It does a few things very well. There are some huccups though
>try to colonise a world populated by barely sentient rodent people, was going to uplift the fuckers and use them as shock troops since my reptilian space communists were weak as shit
>can't land my colony ship on the planet because fuckers took all slots
>can't bombard them because formally they are not my enemies
>can't even invade them for the same reason
>can't build an observation post to capture the planet more sneakily because fuckers aren't sentient
I still don't know if there is a way to do something about that.
>>
Good early game, awful from mid game on.
Tedious, bad combat mechanics, bad diplomacy mechanics, a severe lack of content.
Boring as fuck.
Stay away.
>>
File: 20160511133435_1.jpg (327 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160511133435_1.jpg
327 KB, 1920x1080
>>337267293

Pretty fun, not bad for 40 dollars, will feel like a 60 dollar game in 2 years with 80 dollars of dlc.
>>
>>337267943
Can you war dec them? Or maybe purge them?
>>
>>337270435
You can't declare war on non-spacefaring species. I don't know if I can uplift them without colonising the planet first, but I'm gonna try tomorrow.
>>
>>337267943
>take army
>click on invade planet
WOW SO HARD
>>
WE WUZ LEADERS OF EARTH N SHIT
>>
File: 20160511135743_1.jpg (285 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
20160511135743_1.jpg
285 KB, 1680x1050
>>337267293
put in 18 hours in two 9 hour sessions
pretty fun for noob in grand strategy like me.
tho there were downtimes when I just was waiting till build some fleet.
>begin near militaristic empires
>somehow beat them, vassal and integrate.
>vassal third one, expand too much to irritate fallen empire which steam roll me
>third one revolts and hardly let me build a fleet
>while I'm fighting with third vassal - Unbidden one empire down appears
>when I get back into control with decent fleet - Unbidden knocks in my doors already with 16-20k fleets.
somehow fighting it off, but if I not shut that portal down it'll be tough I think
>>
>>337271425
>implying I didn't try
The only option an army got above that planet is "land on the planet" and it's wasn't available because for all intents and purposes it's a neutral planet without anyone to attack. Again, it wasn't a sentient species, I couldn't even build an outpost over the planet.
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
52 KB, 600x600
>Monarchies can't have an individualist ethos

This is incorrect irl
>>
>>337272119
GJ you found a bug
>>
>>337267293
>genetically modify ALL my people to be communal
>they all become aliens and second hand citizens which are treated as dirt in my dictatorship
>First class citizens have 0 pop and no way to change it
>>
>>337272403
change policies
>>
>>337269886
Why wormhole travel out of interest?

I've started playing today and am still learning the subtleties of it. Picked exact same ethics as you, but fanatic xenophobe with militaristic.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (100 KB, 599x600) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
100 KB, 599x600
>>337267293
>>
>>337269886
>German reich
>chooses celtic imagery
no
>>
>>337272501
which one?
>>
>>337273301
equal voting rights and shit
don't remember, browse thru f1
>>
File: 20160511231414_1.jpg (345 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160511231414_1.jpg
345 KB, 1920x1080
>Play as Galactic Empire
>Start conquering and vassalizing a few boarding xeno races
>Start purging filthy xenos for sabotaging all the time
>Fallen Empire wants me to change policies and tries to humiliate the glorious Galactic Empire
>Look up how far ahead they are
>Overwhelming in tech, fleet is just advantageous or something
>Decide to just fuck it all and don't accept their terms
>A few allies and all my concentrated forces might be enough to defeat single enemy fleets
>They declare war, while my fleets are just halfway through with the latest upgrades (although i split them into 8 fleets to save time on upgrades)
>Its a hyperspace only game
>They can use Warp over half the map
>Several 20k Fleets show up in different Systems, 80-100k max fleet size
>my fleet is just 40k
>Start hunting down individual enemy fleets
>They actually have Battlecruiser class ships, mine are just Battleships
>Take a few losses until my fleets converge and allies show up
>Enemies now start to run away like the scared little fungi they are
>Always take down a few ships before they can escape
>Have to carefully move into systems with enemy fleets, to cut off their escape routes
>Make a sport of hunting down these filthy xenos
>Have a few science ships follow me all the time
>Each debris gives like 10% in a dozen end game techs
>Warscore is still to their favor because they still destroy a few stations while i just manage to catch a few ships before their fleets escape

I might be forced to accept their stupid terms of non-purging and get humiliated after all, but hell, i will definitely get out of this war with a few high end techs fully researched through debris.

After this war, its probably time to hunt down fallen empires.
>>
Fuck space slugs. Fuck em.
>>
I have a Tall Empire with 3 planets main planets. Tall means an empire with highly developed territory as opposed to a Wide Empire that relies on vast frontier for resources. Playing with all methods of travel make defense impossible so I have to develop a Tall Empire cause fuckers keep warping directly to the capital to attack me. Good thing is I placed a shit ton of fortresses and Interdiction at the 3 main planets.

I haven't played online, but how does that going to fucking work? I just split my fleet and raid the fuck out of the AI with Warp Drives. There is no defense lane, no front line, no choke points. Just warping around and fucking up their shit and they can never catch me with shit AI. Imagine playing with a real player harassing you to death. I can only see online as being fun if people only use Hyperspace Lanes.
>>
>>337274671
word
those fags spawned right near me as fanatic militarists
>>
File: 1eEiiCa[1].jpg (181 KB, 1328x708) Image search: [Google]
1eEiiCa[1].jpg
181 KB, 1328x708
Something doesn't add up here
>>
>>337274801
station made of what? Iron.
they are in Iron age.
everything adds up, anon :^)
>>
File: 1403509352077.jpg (71 KB, 805x674) Image search: [Google]
1403509352077.jpg
71 KB, 805x674
I really cannot decide if I want to get this or not because I can't decide how dumbed down it is
>>
>>337274801
I had humans at Sol get to early space stage, and their only space vessel was some kinda of a blob of light instead of spaceship
>>
File: C8s55rO[1].png (546 KB, 700x585) Image search: [Google]
C8s55rO[1].png
546 KB, 700x585
>>337275142
I've got something similar, they're in the bronze age though.
>>
>>337274685
Good thing you have the option to do that

And you can stack defenses on top of your wormhole generators. Now they can't just destroy them before you wormhole in. Now you can build wide.
>>
File: inert anti ship missile test.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
inert anti ship missile test.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Is it me or Missile vastly underpowered? Got Tier IV Antimatter Missile and lost to Tier II Plasma Thrower on equal sized fleets and ship. Missile got travel time and slower firing speed. I just get DPSed down to death before missiles even land their hits. Had to switch to lasers to compete.
>>
How I deal with factions within my empire when I cannot purge them?

Is there any way to just make them go away?
>>
File: 1448536766315.gif (1021 KB, 421x389) Image search: [Google]
1448536766315.gif
1021 KB, 421x389
>>337267293
>/v/erdict
>>
>>337275408
well I guess you can pass that up as some domesticated space alien thingies via spirits and other shit
gotta have those old myth be from somewhere aside of nature
>>
>>337272980

>doesn't know history

The Celts and The Germans shared a lot of shit.
>>
>>337267943
Build a frontier station first then you can build an observation post
>>
>>337275142
>can't upgrade the warp drives on troop transports
Sasuga, Paradox, I didn't want any boots on the ground during that war anyway
>>
>>337275570
Every single weapon and ship loadout is situational

You need to understand what each is good against and what your enemy has before you fight.
>>
>>337275570
dunno if underpowered, but they clearly useless if your opponent got point defense
I had 2 neighbour civs with missiles and I got point defense early.
they never killed a single ship.
>>
>>337275729
It was already in my borders. You can't build observation posts on planets with non-sentient natives because there's nothing to observe.
>>
>>337275749
Didn't mean to quote.
>>
how accessible is this game to someone who has never played 4x/grand strat before?
>>
>>337275704

Make the dissidents population happy with:

Governor
Happiness Buildings

or

Spend Influence to snuff out their movement using Edicts or Manage Faction.
>>
>>337275727
they were culturally distinct all the same, a better symbol for the space reich would be the valknut or just the swastika
>>
>>337276185
Very

Honesty it might be the best introductory game for 4x
>>
>>337276185

Very. It's like Civ. Not even sure what's the distinction between 4x and Grand Strategy.
>>
>>337274801
I like to imagine that they used to be a space faring species, but somehow fucked everything up and now they're essentially an iron age tribe, stuck in an ancient space station, floating around a star
>>
File: DWU.jpg (523 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
DWU.jpg
523 KB, 1024x1024
>>337267293

Can't really find a reason to play it over Distant Worlds.
>>
Considering Paradox's whole thing is flavor text and stories and that's why the threads are fun and the game is fun, Stellaris is entirely lacking in personality. When your people die nobody gives a shit. There's no political intrigue, none of your Advisers mean anything to anyone.
>>
>>337276185
Eh, it's OK. Not as good of a starting point as Civ in my opinion. Turn based feels more natural for me than pausing, giving out all possible orders, unpausing on maximum game speed, waiting until something gets done, pausing etc. A new player might get an impression that it's supposed to play like an RTS and that's definitely not the way.
>>
I really fucking hate Paradox's DLC model. It's jew as fuck. WIll this game be the same?
>>
>>337277038
Well duh. Also paid mods is in the works.
>>
>>337277134
>Also paid mods is in the works.

Source?
>>
I lived the dream.
>>
can you mod the ai to actually be good?
>>
>>337277382
The AI is good in cooperative wars

Sometimes
>>
oh boy, I can't wait to play any 4X game after Civ announcement and this thread. but now i have to farm fomorian balor in warframe.
>>
Is there someone good who I can watch to learn? I'm shit at this game and keep falling behind.
>>
>go fanatical collectivism because spehs communism
>feel too sorry for my guys to ever enslave them
>>
>>337277297
it's bullshit, Valve won't allow paid mods since that fiasco with Skyrim
>>
We need a game that has both space civ and earth civ, so you can go the full length of an empire.
>>
>Buying a Paradox game at launch
Why though? I'll pick it up when all the dlc and content is in.
>>
>>337276690
the major gripe alot of newcomers have to Grand Strat is that your dropped into an existing nation/dynasty and have to manage 90% of the game right from the start, you need to manage your alliances/government/military etc all from day 1, as easy as EU4/CK2 is newcomers are completely overwhelmed by the amount of shit you can do day 1 of the game start.

4x on the other hand always starts you off with fuck all for example in civ all you get is a warrior and a settler and as you go through the game you encounter other nations and research new features (diplomatic actions and what not) as you slowly expand
>>
>>337278181
Hear, hear.
>>
Do you miss out on any events or special flavor by not picking one of the pre-existing empires?
>>
>>337267943
I had a similar experience.
>find nice planet of my preferred biome
>it's full of pre-sentient arthropoids, though
>decide to colonize and uplift them later to use as slave labour
>the tech for that is still far off, so I go back to playing
>come back several years later
>colony still only has 3 pops
>apparently all the pre-sentient pops count when the game checks how much food you need for a pop to grow
>grumble under my breath, set purge to xenos and genocide all but two, putting it out of my mind as I let the colony grow
>some time later I start getting events about the pre-sentient aliens gathering in large numbers and making ooga booga noises in response to our presence
>later on, an event happens where they fuck up a transmission dongle for credit data costing the empire 300 energy
>because apparently my colonial security can't contain a bunch of nigger crabs who haven't even invented banging rocks together yet
>regretfully set aside my lofty dreams of tolerance and peaceful coexistence as I purge their race into extinction
Their mechanics are wonky as fuck.
>>
>Conquer alien planet
>Purge xeno-scum
>No more aliens
>The planet goes to the former alien imperium again

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCKING FUCK
>>
>>337277934
Spore
>>
It won't start for me. It shows up on the taskbar, and then vanishes without an error code or anything.

Help.
>>
What's up with the tech progression? I feel like I am rolling some bullshit dice hoping for useful techs to pop up. My empire can build cruisers but I only have piddly fission engines to power them.

Any incite?
>>
>Fanatical collectivists a d militarists like a propper alien hive
>notice some of my population is less enthusiastic about collectivists and militarism
Should I purge them now before they get out of hand or what?
>>
>>337279047
You just have to get lucky. If you can research a tech or pick a race that gets increased research alternatives, you have a higher chance of getting it.

You can also kill people that have advanced engines and then salvaging the wreck. Doing so will unlock the tech at a discount.
>>
>>337279196
Sure why not
>>
>>337279196
That's because of ethics divergence. I dunno if you can undo it but you can just ship them offworld to some dumpster planet if you don't wanna purge them.

They eventually will form a splinter faction. You should try to quash it now rather than later.
>>
>>337279047
it's semi-random based on certain factors one of the strongest government types the Science Directorate starts the game with +1 research alternatives and you can get atleast another +1 from physics research meaning right from the start of the game you draw 4 cards each time not 3 and can be bumped upto 5 and later 6 by upgrading the government, also if you have a military focused government your more likely to draw military tech, spiritualist draws more psi-tech, pacifist gets less war tech.

you can also change government types ingame with 250 influence just hit the government icon below your leader to see your options

if your not playing a science focused nation then naturally your going to suffer with tech at times, you can always attempt to take the tech from your neighbours by researching the debris left behind after destroying their ships, once you have some progress towards a tech it's always an option to research until you research it.

i sometimes research the quickest tech of my options just to reroll everything in the list as fast as possible.
>>
>>337279791
I started my first game as a directorate because I wanted to do maximum science and it's great. Gonna miss the extra techs next game.
>>
>>337279196
Better yet, enslave them. Slavery gives a hidden bonus to Ethics Divergence. That stat that governs how likely they are to change ethics - either away from the mainline if positive or towards it if negative. Being a slave in most cases should put any pop's divergence down into the negatives, meaning that given enough time even a fanatical individualist pacifist will become a collectivist militarist.

With max collectivism you should be using slavery as much as possible anyway. Whenever I acquire an alien world with different values I just enslave them and keep them that way until they think exactly like my people, and then I free the ones I need to run labs and power plants. It shouldn't hurt to enslave every pop that isn't working on power or research.
>>
this is a stupid question, but I looked at videos and screenshots of this game and I just don't know where the "tiles" are, are the galaxies just big tiles or what, how does movement work in this
>>
>>337280250
Oh, and as a bonus, slaves can't start or join factions, and if you enslave faction members, said factions will see their membership eventually dwindle to nothing. Slavery is so ridiculously good right now that there's no way they're not gonna give it a major nerf in the next major patch or DLC.
>>
>>337280298
tiles are solar systems
>>
File: 1462351921046.jpg (29 KB, 620x312) Image search: [Google]
1462351921046.jpg
29 KB, 620x312
>>337280425
>I literally just won a war with my neighbors
>They surrendered and gave me ever single world they owned
>All these slaves
>>
>>337267293
No blackholes systems
Silly diplomacy
No loli faction
Nice graphics thought
>>
>>337280298
depends on your FTL movement, if you use Warp you can jump from any 1 system to any other system in range, if you use Hyperspace your locked into traveling specific hyperspace lanes that link up each star system, because your more limited hyperspace is faster, wormhole requires you to build a wormhole generator and it gives a massive radius around it that lets you wormhole to any system in range and back, the advantage of wormhole is that it's insanely fast but if you lose a wormhole generator your fleet could be left stranded in a part of space unable to leave.

eventually you can learn dangerous tech that gives you the Jump Drive thats the Warp Drive on crack
>>
>>337271847

If legit youve sold the game to me. That sounds rad
>>
File: Lolita Federation.jpg (374 KB, 1044x656) Image search: [Google]
Lolita Federation.jpg
374 KB, 1044x656
>>337280708
You can make 'em. I did, now if only I could make dds file, I could make my own species.
>>
All of the major complaints came from the endgame of single player campaigns, where the AI is too tight and rigid, and if they made some massive alliance because you were too scary, you get butt blasted.

Three solutions:
>Play with less AI opponents.
>Play with a lot, but be an aggressive dick early on and/or form alliances yourself instead of being retarded
>Play against actual people you sperg
>>
>>337280923
I use photoshop with the nvidia .dds plugin to make my dds files. Worked like a charm since 2004 or so. Made some nice icons and such in civ 5 so I imagine it'll be fine for this too.
>>
>>337280923
>B-but the mods will fix it!

There's no excuse for developers to not have lolis in the year 2016
>>
File: unf.jpg (150 KB, 723x1023) Image search: [Google]
unf.jpg
150 KB, 723x1023
>>337280923
>Xenophile
>Rapid Breeders

Your lolis are huge sluts.
>>
File: bnigga.jpg (93 KB, 333x351) Image search: [Google]
bnigga.jpg
93 KB, 333x351
>>337274685
Sauce on anime?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>made an alliance with some birdbros at the beginning of the game
>the birdbros were my only allies
>we traded with each other, sharing star maps
>even were bro enough to give me some minerals
>I would never ever hurt them
>start declaring war on other nations and annexing their space
>tfw birdbros start to turn against me
>tfw I will eventually have to wipe them out as well

Kaz...I'm already a demon.
>>
>>337281094
I sadly use gimp, photoshop is too high class for a pleb like me. It sucks since the tutorial they have on the forum only covers photoshop,
>>337281405
I want every xenos to have a loli because everyone should.
>>
>>337280740
so it's kind of like spore's space age?
>>
>>337275118
More complicated and engaging than any other 4x games I've played without mods, but still lacking some features that could've made it significantly better. Still hard to put it down though - Get really caught up in it.
>>
File: 1399232088476.png (162 KB, 500x602) Image search: [Google]
1399232088476.png
162 KB, 500x602
>>337280923
>xenophile
>pacifist
>weak
>charismatic
>not mentioning that FUKKEN LOLIS
[PURGING INTENSIFIES]
>>
>try to play pacifist
>every time
>my surrounding systems have hostile aliens in them
>but I finally find a planet I can colonize
>lol pirate event xDDDD

I'm done with pacficism
>>
Third most played game on Steam currently - It must be doing a lot of things right.
>>
>>337281861
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Yes. Especially since most of the other games up there requires online play. I bet Stellaris has twice as many players, but that tons of people pirated it.
>>
>>337278681

Nah that sounds like it might have happened irl

I wonder how many tribes were wiped out by the British Empire after similar situations
>>
File: 1361493604940.gif (842 KB, 229x199) Image search: [Google]
1361493604940.gif
842 KB, 229x199
>almost generating negative influence
>welp, let's see how this war thing goes
>declare war on tiniest empire
>roll in 1k strong corvettes, destroyers, and cruisers with a few found ships in the mix
>wipe up the only other planet aside from the homeworld's orbital defenses with a single casualty
>all right let's take over the planet
>in orbit
>bombardment
>fortifications = 0
>somehow with simply orbital bombardment you still can't bring the planet to its knees because lolgroundwar I guess
>only have this guess because of a research mission requiring a "transport" ship
>literally have never even seen the tech for a transport ship

How fucked am I? Is there any way to win a war without taking care of the ground troops? This random research shit is a pain in the ass sometimes.
>>
>>337281861
they marketed the game right and that's it, it's barely finished
>>
>>337281856
>I'm done with pacficism
That's only right, anon.

There is no peace among the stars.
>>
Can you blow planets up in this
>>
>>337282106
You don't need a tech - just go to a planet, click "Army", train one (Assault for offense, defense for planet defense...) and when they're done training, just right click them and they will be put into a ship. They are however completely defenseless, so you should send them in towards the end.
>>
>>337271179
>uplift them
How does this mechanic work? Can you uplift a race from like from the Iron age to the Space age?
>>
>>337281861
Paradox make good games.

If you never played any Europa Universalis game, go download EU4 now. EU3 was great too and has more mods. If you want a different but also great take on Grand Strategy, look at Crusader Kings 2.
>>
>>337281861
it broke all their records in sales
i imagine it'll be a top contender for the topspot until civ 6 arrives later this year and by then they might have already blown civ out the water with all the shit a space game can offer over civ especially considering that civ 6 probably wont have religion n shit in it at the start.
>>
File: Box.png (2 MB, 1599x898) Image search: [Google]
Box.png
2 MB, 1599x898
I boxed in a Fallen Empire. (Blue orb-shape on the right - Named: Bos'Pachtux) - Are they going to rape me now?
>>
>>337282325
Thanks anon. If that's all it takes what the fuck is the point of a transport ship? Just a little bit of armor between the ground troops and whatever else might come at them before they're boots on the ground?
>>
>>337272197
gj you made a shitpost
>>
>>337282536

>+10 influence

HOW
>>
>>337282536
>that red empire at the bottom
>GODDAMN SPACE JEWS

I bet they're riddled with nitrogen.
>>
>>337282536
try to keep them above -70, else they will come fuck you up. going by all the borders you have around them though, staying above 70 will be outright impossible.
>>
>>337282536
depends on the type of fallen empire, only one type cares about it's borders, check their government and it'll tell you what they care about.

>tfw you live nextdoor to the Xenophile Fallen empire
like a goose i dont even need to fatten up before i eat the fucker
>>
File: 0a0.gif (2 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
0a0.gif
2 MB, 230x172
>>337275708
>>
Got a quick question about frontier outposts, can I get rid of the outposts I've advanced passed without losing territory or do I gotta keep them and just Star hop?
>>
>>337282331
There are two ways.
First - you find a primitive civilisation on a random stage of development - bronze or steam age or something, then you build an outpost over that planet. It lets you observe them for some science income, aggressively observe them for more science income (and dyplomatical penalties with retarded AI), if they are above industrial age you can infiltrate their planet with genetically modified agents, replace their world leaders and annex them that way. Or you can choose to uplift them from any stage of development, which makes them a new space-faring empire that automatically becomes your vassal.
Second - when you find a pre-sentient species, you can colonise the planet and uplift them via genetic manipulation, which lets you choose some of their genetic traits and makes them a loyal part of your empire.
>>
File: Rivals.png (1 MB, 1600x898) Image search: [Google]
Rivals.png
1 MB, 1600x898
>>337282667
Most is from Rivals. I picked fights with the strongest people around so that I could keep them in line, and expanded a little bit in each direction. Also, I have 31 planets already whilst most of the opposition sits on between 5 and 15.
>>
>>337267293
>What I wanted
>Vicky II in Spess
>What I expected
>Sins remake
>What I got
>EUIV in spess
The game in itself is fine, but it's not what I wanted. As usual with Paracocks, expansions and mods will fix it.
>>
>>337283084
You do lose the political borders when you delete the outpost, if that's what you are asking about. Even if you have a planet in the same system colonised you still lose some borders.
>>
>>337283084
Your borders will shrink a bit. I've found that placing the system the outpost is in into a sector will get rid of the monthly influence cost. I'm sure there's a downside to it, but I haven't figured out what it is.
>>
How do I use sectors efficiently?
>>
File: OhFuck.png (1 MB, 1597x899) Image search: [Google]
OhFuck.png
1 MB, 1597x899
>>337282829
Did not know you could check that..

I'm gon' get raped..
>>
I am playing it because no other 4x game besides I think civ 4 handles government and culture as in-depth as Stellaris. Multiple nuanced government options, multiple cultures with cultural diffusion, race, slavery, purge options, etc. Tired of this sterile bullshit that makes me wonder if I am playing a grand strategy game or a board game.
>>
>Why are 80k people playing this on steam?

Because it's a brand new game just released by a developer with a large cult following? Are you an imbecile?

In a couple weeks/months it will simmer down a bit. New game hype will always work that way, but for what its worth it's pretty fun.
>>
File: Its an abstract kind of feel.jpg (46 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
Its an abstract kind of feel.jpg
46 KB, 680x684
>Spent almost 2 hours on Stellaris already
>Haven't actually played the game yet, just trying to design and decide on what empire I want to create and play

JUST
>>
File: 1462011419411.gif (2 MB, 492x276) Image search: [Google]
1462011419411.gif
2 MB, 492x276
>>337283508
HAHAHA.

LOOK AT THEIR SMUG FACE, THEY'RE GETTING THE LUBE READY

>Anons face image related
>>
Is there a way to re-arrange ships in the outliner?
>>
File: 1397905645058.jpg (88 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1397905645058.jpg
88 KB, 768x768
>finish conquering a coalition of Fun Guys
>Fun Guy's neighbours declare war on them
>You are now at war with the Furry Empire
>Furry empire sends a massive blob to my homeworld and blows up my spaceport
>Fleets rush home just in time for the Furrykins to fuck off back home
>2 of my fleets get stuck in FTl on the way home
I am so fucking fed up with combat and anything related to it, what a chore. And all I wanted to do was play as militarist xenophobes
>>
>>337283736
Seconding this question. I want to switch order of my planets too.
>>
>>337283761
Stop using Warp Travel, it's slow and shitty.
>>
File: shit.jpg (23 KB, 96x125) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
23 KB, 96x125
>>337283508
>>
>>337283761
The AI gets confused if you attack who ever is attacking you.

So if the Furry Empire is attacking you, you send YOUR ships to the Furry Empires CAPITAL Planet. They'll EVENTUALLY, usually on the face side, go back home to defend themselves from you, stopping their frontal attack.

Now if a Federation or Alliance is attacking you, you want to attack whoever the leader is or whoever has the largest amount of ships attacking you; their Capital Planet.

It's the only way to fix this without playing hopstoch with another enemy fleet while not having the Add-On to prevent them from Warping in your ships area.
>>
>>337272187
Are you thinking of a constitutional monarchy where the monarch basically doesn't have any real power?

I think Stellaris monarchies are the absolute kind where the ruler has total control over the government and populace.
>>
>>337267293
Great game for purging zenos

I'm finding the early game so fun I've created 5 completely different races to see how they develop
>>
>>337267943
You have to go into your Empire menu, go to demographics, display all species in the galaxy, find the one you're dealing with then click 'Uplift' underneath their portrait. Had the same problem with you and found that option purely by chance. You also need the Uplift tech, too. Hope that helps anon
>>
>>337284216
Not him, but it doesn't matter either way. Monarchies aren't inherently collectivist or individualist, whether they're absolute or not. In fact, most monarchies were individualist rather than collectivist after the French Revolution.
>>
>>337272187

I believe you misunderstand this game's version of monarchy.

It's less about a 'monarch kingdom is the opposite of a civilization that supports individuality' and more of a fact that a monarch is put into their position by birth and birth alone, ergo a common man cannot get elected to the position creating a kind of power difference opposite of what a 'individualistic' society would have.

The two are tangentially related, though it is minor. Remember that this is a video game, not everything is going to be 100% autistically perfect.
>>
>>337284179
I ploughed through several defence installations on the way home so that might be why they left

>>337284102
I think i'll just stop playing the game instead
>>
>>337283427
How do you make a sector?
>>
>>337276346
>>337272980

I literally just did it because it looks good, calm down spergie.

>>337272540

Wormhole travel covers a large area and takes you directly to planets. Making highways can suck because you can easily get blocked off along routes. Wormhole can get you pretty much anywhere if you build snipers around.
>>
>build enough tech 5 battleshits to have 15k fleet power
>declare war on gayliens with a slightly bigger empire than mine
>their 6k fleet power wrecks the fuck out of my fleet
>gg no re
>quit to desktop forever
>>
>>337284546
Go to the empire panel (F2) and click create sector in the top right.
>>
>>337284648
Thanks hombre.
Maygood worlds and victory go your way.
>>
>>337281442
Legend of Galactic Heroes.
>>
>>337284631
thats what you get for building armor ships against enemies that use armor ignoring weapons

i lost a 4k fleet to 1k aliens because my only defense was shield which their lasers shredded
>>
> mfw people don't invest in point-defence
>>
i would enjoy 4X games more if they weren't just fancy looking spreadsheets

the combat is always horrible and it doesn't have to be
>>
>>337284770
I went armor and shields
>>
Can I play as a USA style empire that brings democracy and freedom to other people by invading them?
>>
>>337284904
I had tech 3 fighters and bombers on them
>>
Im sure I'll play this eventually, but I'm playing the moo4 early access instead

one thing at a time
>>
>>337284945
yes, if you declare war on aliens and choose to liberate them, it forces their population to adopt your ideologies and then you can vassalize them or conquer them.
>>
File: spacejellies.png (846 KB, 1045x719) Image search: [Google]
spacejellies.png
846 KB, 1045x719
all hail the space jellies of doom!
>>
>>337285095
>intelligent
>conformist
>>
>>337284904
This.

Also, point-defense is best defense!
>>
I have 0% on every guy when voting starts, what gives?
>>
>>337284765
What would be the best Galactic Empire and Free Planets Alliance build?

Is it possible to make a game where I hand make the races and make this scenario?
>>
>>337285069

Nice. I feel like this was harder to do in other gs games.
>>
>>337285151
Space jellies have complicated societal structures. They're smart but any deviation from ancient custom is grounds for arrest and execution. It's the only way to prevent moral & ethical decay.
>>
>>337284945
There's literally a personality type called "democratic crusader".
>>
>>337282578
How else can you transport hundreds of thousands of troops across the void of space?

There's no research mission for transport ships btw, do you mean there's a tutorial mission?
>>
File: gigglingwhores.png (372 KB, 438x391) Image search: [Google]
gigglingwhores.png
372 KB, 438x391
>>337285095
>he uses warp for ftl travel
>>
File: UFY.png (807 KB, 1034x646) Image search: [Google]
UFY.png
807 KB, 1034x646
I'm having fun but I don't feel like I'm doing anything.
>>
>>337285193
9 cruisers and 6 destroyers and 19 batteshits
>>
>>337285515
Just like most real life governments.
>>
>>337285396
>There's no research mission for transport ships

I meant I got like a "side-quest" research mission to go root out some space pirates or some shit from a pre-space civilization planet and it required a transport ship to complete.

Like I said, I've never even seen shit for a transport ship.
>>
>>337285404
The jellies molecular structure causes them to go completely insane if they happen to enter any wormholes. Experiments in jelly wormhole technology destroyed a small island on their homeworld of Hrothsk, and the army had to be called in because the survivors went berzerk.
>>
>>337285404
i-i-it said you should use it i-if your a n-new player
>>
>>337285634
I started with warp aswell but desu youre better off restarting now.
>>
>>337285526
>no corvettes
You fucked up. This isn't Civ where you just build the biggest baddest shit you can. You have to have a balanced fleet or you will get dicked.
>>
>>337285404
Not him but warp seems more useful toward the end game when upgraded warp drives have a relatively large radius, allowing you to easily bypass neutral empires in your way without needing military access. And also not needing any infrastructure to support them.
>>
>>337285634
Warp a shit. Wormhole is good, hyperspace is okay, Warp is shit.
>>
>>337285515
You're posting your Cuck-bird again?

>We're so tolerant!
>No, we do not need to breed.
>In fact, rape our women. We insist!
>Cuck fetish for life!
>>
>why are there 80k people playing this on steam?
Because it's a game made to appeal to casual memesters, so casual memesters buy it in droves.
This is the final nail in Paradox's coffin.
>>
>>337285560
That just means you need to get some troops next to it. Like the other anon said, when you embark assault troops you've built on your planets, it automatically and instantly creates a transport ship for them to get around.
>>
Anyone ever read Ancillary Justice? I was reading it today and got a very Stellaris feel from it.
>>
>warp is bad

How is it any worse than hyperspace? You can get cucked by having some faggot who won't open borders settle in between stars but at least you can jump out of pockets and shit.

Wormhole a best, anyway.
>>
>>337282438
Paradox used to make good games.
Not anymore.
Kill yourself redditard.
>>
How in the fuck do Sectors work?
Everytime I try they just sit there, lose power and move pop around into empty tiles so buildings aren't running.

How the fuck do you actually get into mid-game?
>>
>>337286114
I did. A shit-tier space opera like the lot of them. Don't want those associations with muh 4x.
>>
>>337286165
>have to wait for fucking ever before you can move again
Hyperspace may have limited movement, but warp has practically no movement.
>>
>>337275118

It's better than CK2 and EU4 at release in terms of depth. Ultimately wait for expansions though.
>>
>>337286282
I've used all the different methods and hyperspace is by far the best.
>>
Fuck this, I'm going back to CK2
>>
>>337283508
Yea, you are pretty fucked.
>>
File: 9.jpg (7 KB, 198x212) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
7 KB, 198x212
>>337285979
Basically this.

>random roll first civ I play as
>mfw lucked into wormholes
>>
>>337286378
yea go back to your soap opera
>>
Will it run on an i-5200u laptop with Intel 5500 graphics pls respong
>>
>>337278376

No.
>>
>>337286046
You could say they are a bunch of cuckoos
>>
>>337285897
This.

Your fleet should not be all the same type of weapons and defenses either - It's not very efficient unless you know exactly what your opponent will be using and counter them perfectly.

For best results, your fleet should be something along the lines of these values: 25 Corvettes, 10 Destroyers, 3 Cruisers, 1 Battleships. Then just multiply.
>>
>>337286481
>pirate it
>find out
>GTFO
>>
>>337286083
Duly noted, duly noted.

All the shit they go over in the gorillion tutorials, not once do they even touch on how to build ground troops.
>>
>>337286209
>being this much of a contrarian retard

I'm sorry you're incapable of enjoying new things without your anus bleeding, anon.
>>
so uhh i'm no expert but since reviews kept mentioning CK2 and EU and grand strategy genre, it's just a straight real time space 4X, isn't it? i don't know what the grand strategy tipping point is, but i thought it had to be more involved than a sid meier game to qualify.

bare in mind i'm only early on, and it seems like it could be almost as good as smac and better in some aspects, i'm just wondering what you think.
>>
>>337286552
>pirate it
A-anon pls I'm a changed trans-lesbian man
>>
>Have this pre-made idea for spess empires in spess empire games
>No robot faction but ethics are flexible enough to get it kinda right
>Fucking RNG quest both gives the empire a mysterious pre-cursor background that defies logic AND science defying prophecy for greatness exactly how I made them up

Fucking uncanny.

>Next time starting system is amazing for material
>Adjacent system has 20 FUCKING DRONE FLEETS HOOOOLY SHIT
>Camping an even better, more resource rich system with strategic resources to boot

The way this game is completely dynamic shits on every other game regardless of genre.
>>
>>337275118
Its slightly dumber than EU4 or Distant Worlds, but FAR deeper and larger scaled than pretty much every other space 4x game.
>>
>>337286654
grand strategy is misused here 2bh, its really only "grand" because paradox has their name on it and its a very slow game.
>>
>>337286282
Upgraded wrap-engine empires can run circles around hyperspace empires. One warp AI empire had me on the ropes because they could fly their fleets all the way across my empire in a couple of jumps, but because of the way the hyperlanes connected I had to take this massive detour to the bottom of my empire just to fend them off.
>>
File: 1356713026528.jpg (81 KB, 579x616) Image search: [Google]
1356713026528.jpg
81 KB, 579x616
STOP ENJOYING THIS GAME
STOP BUYING IT
STOP GIVING MODERN PARADOX YOUR MONEY
YOU ARE KILLING GRAND STRATEGY YOU FUCKING CUNTS
>>
What's best for early game combat, Projectiles, Energy or Missiles?

I know Missiles get shit on by point defense but are OP if they don't have any, so I'm thinking that.
>>
>>337267293
Slow, decisions do not matter as much, it's entirely linear in what actions you should take.

A pretty nice idea but it's fucking paradox so of course it's shit.
>>
>>337267293
Does this game have a cinematic mode like star wars empire at war did? Like when there's a space battle you could watch the battle play out from different perspectives
>>
>>337286654
It's not GS. It's 4x for certain. It does share some aspects of EUIV (which is the most casual GS by far) and barely incorporates some previous POP systems, but that's as close as it gets.
>>
>>337286650
There's nothing to enjoy, Stellaris is painfully shallow and unimaginative. I bet 95% of people who "enjoy" it have never played a Paradox game in the lives, and of the 5% who did 4.9% only played Memeropa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings 2.
>>
File: pirate then buy.jpg (43 KB, 1563x77) Image search: [Google]
pirate then buy.jpg
43 KB, 1563x77
>>337286853
>implying
>>
>>337282164

No Paradox game is ever finished.
>>
>>337287081
>tfw was expecting Vicky II in space
>tfw got EUIV in space instead
>>
>>337286209
>>337287081

You sure do sound like you enjoy video games!
>>
>>337287135
At least once they tried.
Now you can bet your ass they've intentionally withheld features and rushed development to make room for future DLC.
>>
>>337286821
They litterally the only company that does Grand Strategy
>>
>>337287081
Let me guess you still play the first CK full of fucking bugs that crashes every half an hour. Or maybe EU: Rome that's full of bugs that crashes every half an hour. It could be you only play the first HoI that's full of bugs, unintuitive and crashes every few hours.

Man, Paradox don't make 'em like they used to.
>>
>>337287178
>tfw was expecting Vicky II in space
What the fuck made you think that?
Everything about it leading up to release was screaming it's going to be shit, and as it turns out, it IS shit.
>>
>>337287270
They used to.
Now they operate under the "grand strategy" label while making shallow little map painters for retards.
>>
>>337277009
That seems like a very boring way to play.
People actually do this?
>>
So what are your favorite 4xs /v/? How well does this rank up there?
>>
>Tried once again to make a dds file for lolis in space.
>Failed once again.
>>
pleb casual here
Is this as nauseating as Galactic Civilizations II on a huge map?
>>
>>337287334
I didn't keep up with the dev diaries at all. I just glanced at a few and saw POP system and buildings. I didn't know that buildings mean EUIV style buildings and that POP system meant "you have some people here and it doesn't really matter all that much but look at that pop."
>>
>>337287178

How the actual fuck could you expect that when they've had dev diaries, the blorg blog and so on with videos being posted for months with full gameplay?

You did this to yourself, tardboy.
>>
>>337287237

Oh definitely. It's a love/hate relationship with Paradox. They make good games, but will make you pay for every bit.
>>
>>337287438

>Comfy way to play

Fixed for you. Not that guy too. If you want APM spamming autism of RTS, by all means do so and never pause. People like to leisurely make decisions.
>>
it get pretty tedious after you survey and control 20+ systems and the diplomacy is shallow. Would play to kill time though and god hack.
>>
>>337283235

But the game was basically being presented as EUIV in space. They were pretty honest about it.
>>
>>337287625
niggaa prease I'll PLAY but I'll never BUY. What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
Is it just me or is the early game really slow?

I colonized one planet but it took me like an hour to get to that point. Research takes 4-5 years minimum and all the resource giving areas are like +2 or +3 minerals.
>>
>>337287792
Turn up the speed
>>
>>337287625
>They make good games
Their last genuinely good game was Vicky 2 (arguably CK2 before it got meme'd on), and that was over half a decade ago.
Face it, Paradox are shitty Jews now that make shitty game for reddit idiots.
>>
>>337287625
At this point, and who's kidding, at every point in Paradox history, it's better to just buy the game and pirate the DLC.
>>
>>337287792
Are you really not playing on fastest and just pausing to issue orders?
>>
>>337287639
No that shit is also gay
Why not just play at your own pace without pause?

Theres no way it will affect you too much.
>>
So how's the multiplayer? Was considering picking this up with a friend.
>>
>>337286378
Why does CK2 crash a lot?
>>
>>337287978

I thought they fixed that? So it's total pirate copy or nothing.
>>
Been thinking of getting either this or Distant Worlds.

As someone who has played a fuck load of EU3/CK2, which one is a better experience?
>>
>>337287438
I literally get triggered every time the research finishes and the game doesn't automatically pause. It might look boring, but it's the most efficient way. I don't usually go into grand strategy games looking for thrills.
>>
>>337287237
How long do you think they can keep it up?

CO gets regularly shit on for raping the Total War series, but somehow Paradox has been releasing endless streams of garbage 14.99$ DLC and nobody is calling them out on it besides a small clique of /gsg/ autists. At some point even the steambros will have enough, won't they?
>>
>>337288064
>I thought they fixed that?
Not that I know of. If they did, joke's on me because I haven't purchased any Paradox DLC since HoD and I can play EUIV, CK2 and Cities just fine.
>>
>>337288089
well this is only £35 in your local currency whereas distant worlds is about £70 in your local currency but going by your preferences I'd say DW if you wanna fork over the money or pirate it.
>>
My first impression is that the interface is awful and the randomized research system is hot garbage but beyond that it seems alright.
>>
>>337288089

Stellaris is 4x.
Distant Worlds is MAXIMUM AUTISMO grand strategy.
EU3 and CK2 are grand strategy so Distant Worlds would be more recommended, its a fuckload to take in though.
Although luckily it autopilots pretty much everything.
>>
>>337288112

It's because the first few batches of DLC so really improve upon the game. But people are starting to get fed up with the tinkering with EUIV and CK2. I think with Stellaris and HOI4 coming out, it's a signal that they're going to stop development on EUIV and CK2 soon,aside from a patch or two. I mean Johan has already moved on.
>>
>>337287834
>>337287990
I am, it's still taking a while to do things.
Maybe I'm just impatient.
>>
>>337288329
>the first few batches of DLC so really improve upon the game
...because it's shit they literally left out the initial development to artificially force DLC.
>>
>>337287081
Can Liquor Factory 2 autists from /gsg/ please keep their shitposting in their fallen general.
>>
>>337288225
Christ, just checked on steam and its £45. How is it so expensive when it released 2 years ago?
>>
>>337288186
Do you need to tinker with the files again when the games update out will the pirated dlc stay playable
>>
>>337288480
>Liquor Factory 2
What is this meme?
>>
>>337288509
its a double edge sword kinda thing, game is extremely niche and caters to enthusiasts so they charge a higher price for it thus excluding people who want to try it to see if they'd like it or not

if they lower the price permanently its arguable that they would make the same money but I imagine they would, half the price to 3x as many people is profit and I would be included. I just don't wanna fork over that much on something that isn't fucking train sim or something.
>>
>>337288516
I haven't needed to. The thing about Paradox DLC, at least non-cosmetic DLC, is that they treat the DLC like a mod. The base files are updated while "DLC files" go untouched. Essentially what the DLC file does is check a little box that says you have access to the content. That's it. If you have the file that ticks the box then you're golden. Or at least, that's how it used to work.
>>
>>337286564
Keep in mind though that transport ships cannot be upgraded. Meaning, they will only have the basic FTL drive, so if your ships are upgraded to say warp 3 and can cross dark space, you transports cannot.
>>
>>337281636
That's the best way to describe Stellaris.

It's like spore's space age, but a lot more in depth.
>>
>>337288509
It's a very niche game so the devs effectively have a monopoly.
See
http://store.steampowered.com/app/321410/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/370540/
>>
>>337288768
>wormhole master race

Easy peasy.
>>
>>337285914
Mid-Late game you can get access to the Jump Drive tech, it's "Dangerous" but it's the Warp Drive on crack

went from wormhole dominance to just dominance
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.