[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there people on /v/ who worry about "completing"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: i hate this job.jpg (83 KB, 691x621) Image search: [Google]
i hate this job.jpg
83 KB, 691x621
Why are there people on /v/ who worry about "completing" their backlog?

Why do people regularly and shamelessly purchase more games than they can ever hope to play and then make it their duty to turn the act of playing vidya into a literal chore?

Then they play 6 games concurrently and pretend that they're actually enjoying them, but they're really just itching to play some new shit that came out last week because their attention span is shorter than that of a gnat.

Why is this so common?
>>
File: 12312321436.png (244 KB, 461x523) Image search: [Google]
12312321436.png
244 KB, 461x523
>>345422553
Because people on /v/ might take their hobby a bit more seriously than they should.

for alot of people who do this it's so they can feel some sort of self validation or credibility having actually completed as many games as they can. people buy games INTENDING to finish them but get distracted and lose interested for whatever reason and it takes longer than they expected and they feel guilty for it.

have you ever bought a new video game expecting to play the fuck out of it only to back to the same routine you've had before just because it was comfortable for you?
>>
File: 20160711012831_1.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160711012831_1.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1080
When I noticed I had 200 Steam games I realized I had a problem.

Now I'm on a strict one game at a time policy for single player games. I don't move on until I've finished it. This has really helped me get more enjoyment out of Vidya lately.

I don't apply this rule to mulitplayer games, as I play those with friends when they are available.

I'm just about to start FF12 for the first time, once I finish up Megadimension Nep VII.
>>
>>345423091
Or
* Some games maybe are not really worth finishing. Take last game in playing, Deathspank - funny and charming, but gameplay is very monotonous. I'm not even half done, but I'm bored already since since humor is all alike. So I endup spending 200 hours in resident evil, so what.
* Buying a game, is also a statement. I want to support this developer, and I want to support them in pc, so more games are released on pc in the future. Even if I won't get to this title in the next half a year or more, or even if I only spend like 4 hours playing it, so what?
>>
>>345422553
>playing 6 games concurrently

what's wrong with this?
As long as you're only playing 1 narrative-oriented game like a JRPG you're fine.
Non-linear games like rhythm games or racing titles don't have to be "completed" in one shot.

Plus, if you force yourself to just play the same game, you'll burn out.
>>
Because a lot of games interest me but since I procrastinate on everything possible I buy them and don't get around to playing them.

It could also have some dumb reason such as buying a game with the intention of playing it with friends but find I have to slog through a single player mode to unlock everything, or I realize I need to buy extra components like memory card or a new controller to play anything on a certain platform.

And right now what I feel like doing is replaying Tales of Symphonia because I haven't played it since I got it at release and remember nothing about it, and will hopefully inspire me to play the dusty copy of Tales of Vesperia that I got around a year ago.
>>
>Play a game but lose interest and want to play something else for awhile.
>While you're in the middle of that, some game that interests you or you're particularly excited for comes out and you buy it
>Likely too, you may want to play it

It can be really easy to get into a spiral like that. I need a system to manage it easier myself.

Maybe something like what >>345423361 said.
>>
File: 1467203708285.jpg (106 KB, 400x338) Image search: [Google]
1467203708285.jpg
106 KB, 400x338
I like to jump between games, but then i feel bad about never finishing games, i think it is because of attention span issues
Lately though i've been more focused on trying to beat games and the trophy hunt if i can manage, just bought and got the plat on Song of the Deep, now im going for the plat in Acceleration of Suguri but it's really fucking hard to not drop it since the hard levels of bullet hells are so fucking frustrating
Having anime on the side helps to chill out to whenever i get mad
>>
File: backlogs.png (453 KB, 1118x753) Image search: [Google]
backlogs.png
453 KB, 1118x753
kill me
>>
>>345425335
Most of those games are trash and you could easily cut it down to 10

anime backlogs are even more stupid
most of the animes in your list don't go over 12 episodes.
>>
>>345425335
Go watch NGNL man, just fire it up and get through with it
Easily a 9/10 if not 10/10 anime depending on how you feel about fanservice
Plus it's getting a movie soon
hype
>>
I want to fuck Akira!
>>
File: 1353750905356.png (39 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1353750905356.png
39 KB, 645x773
>movies backlog
>documentaries backlog
>podcast backlog
>tv shows backlog
>bookmarks backlog
>LP backlog
>real books backlog
tfw
>>
>>345425660
As soon as you stop holding yourself accountable for fully experiencing everything that might interest you, you'll find yourself as a happier person
Raise your standards a little and it'll take a lot of weight off your shoulders
>>
>>345425660
>tfw no backlog

I just watch or play or read what I what when I want.
>>
>>345425527
I felt NGNL's main characters were really empty and annoying to watch. they are the pinnacle of "lazy protag thats just an underachiever". But that nigga should really get on Madoka at least.
>>
>>345422553
>Why are there people on /v/ who worry about "completing" their backlog?

No life goals or aspirations outside of consuming media.
>>
>>345423361
>Now I'm on a strict one game at a time policy for single player games.
I've pretty much always done this. The only times I'll break it is when the game is dull as shit. I then move on to a new game, and likely never look back.
>>
>>345426306
It's typical isekai protag personality, nothing beyond standard, but the show shines where it matters, in the games they play and how the games are turned around without asspulls
Sans the chess episode, but that was still a great episode anyways
>>
>>345422553

Because a lot of people are posers. /v/irgins love to pretend that they're immune to being tools, but lots of people do things just to create the "proper" appearance of being a gamer. Look at port beggars for instance. They want something because it looks good, support it insofar as you can't say they didn't, and then drop it once the facade can no longer be broken down.

Pathetic people exist in every facet of life.
>>
File: laffs.png (25 KB, 164x256) Image search: [Google]
laffs.png
25 KB, 164x256
>>345422553
I have a huge backlog and still get new games just to have a freedom of choice when I want to play something. And what I play depends on my mood. Don't care about finishing backlog, I'm glad I have it.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.