[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What ever happened to Gex, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
What ever happened to Gex, /v/?
>>
Shit game, that's all there is to it

/thread
>>
>>345380309
No.
>>
Pretty sure the studio that was responsible for his existence tanked.

Who actually owns the rights to the IP is anyones guess. To lazy to see if it's mentioned on wikipedia.

All 3 games were pretty good though even if the wise cracking was repetitive. First one had a really solid soundtrack that i revisit every now and then.
>>
>>345380309
Shit opinion. It's one of the better collect-a-thons of the era.
>>
>>345380002
Bankruptcy
Iirc midway and crystal dynamics were the 2 behind it, havent seen a game from them in years
>>
>>345380309
you can't /thread your own post.
>>
>>345380461
Agreed on the repetitive voice lines. I still have SLIP OF THE TONGUE embedded in my brain after all these years.
>>
>>345381064
I have most of the lines still memorized from the third one which was probably the better of the two 3D ones they made since they refined everything about it a lot better. Something about the atmosphere of all the games is really good though.

Probably my favorite track from the first one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A1G9iETTwo&index=5

I still find it weird to this day though that the end of gex 3 ends up with him fucking that spy chick.
>>
>>345380461
Square Enix (through Eidos) owns the rights.
>>
I played enter the gecko recently, I enjoyed but it was flawed. It suffers from really stiff controls, an unhelpful camera and the voice acting became incredibly grating after a very short amount of time. It's a shame Gex died, interesting idea for a platformer that could have been improved quite a bit
>>
>>345380002
Kinda surprising this hasn't been rebooted yet when its style of referential humor has exploded in popularity the last decade or so.
>>
>>345381728
Gex 64 (which I believe is just the Nintendo version of the first one?) was the only one I ever played extensively but I have a couple memories of renting and playing the others and they seemed just as great if not better.
>>
>>345382642
Nah it's the version to the second one. The first Gex was a 2D platformer.
>>
Last year SE offered to hear people's pitch for new games with old IPs including Gex.

YOU had to develop the game and use fucking crowd funding though. Fucking stupid if you ask me.
>>
>>345382642
Gex 64 was the second one. Gex 1 was entirely 2d

You can find Gex 1 on GOG but i think the rest of them are console only. I think the second one was the weakest in the series but not at all a bad game just among the other ones it wasn't great.

Honestly recommend trying them out anon. I haven't tried 2 or 3 on it yet but ps3 definitely runs the first one if you have one and can find a copy if you want to go that route. Or emulate if your computer isn't entirely shit.
>>
>>345380002
It's super weird since Gex was the original meme game and that shit is huge these days. Every level was just an excuse to reference some actor or TV show. But it's not like the games were without substance either, at least I remember the N64 game being pretty good with some really great worlds. The older ones were a little more meh, but most games around then were kind of simple.
>>
English Gex >>> American Gex
>>
>>345380002
he will live on forever in our hearts
>>
>>345382796
Oh, good to know! Is it similar in tone to the 3d ones? I'm probably going to pirate at least the 2nd and 3rd one and try to relive some memories here.
>>
>>345383186
>American Gex
holy shit how does that even exist?
>>
>>345383294
Yep. Hope you enjoy it my man.
>>
>>345383326
The character is a couch potato filling the void of a dead family. American makes sense.
>>
I would have to play the games again to see if they actually hold up but I do remember having tons of fun with them. Although one thing I do remember is the music. The music was pretty good.
>>
>played all the gameboy ones
>played the N64 ones

kind of miss it
do you guys think the N64 ones have aged well?
>>
>>345380002
Slip of the tongue hmmmm hmmmm.
>>
>>345383658
I don't recall if it was PS1 or 64 but the hub world is eerie because of how big and empty it is
>>
>>345383186
>>345383326
I have to equally ask holy shit there's a british gex?
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 400x400
He got married and is now a family man.
>>
>>345383658
The last time I played one (it was gex 64) was a couple years ago but I still remember having fun with it. There's definitely some issues with it, especially with the total fucking shit draw distance, but it's still a solid collect-a-thon platformer.
>>
>It will never be Tail Time again
It hurts.
>>
File: gex2-dead.png (5 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
gex2-dead.png
5 KB, 320x240
Why didn't you save him?
>>
He retired before a truly bad game came out under his name. Gex has a great track record compared to other series.
>>
>>345384383
>3 games
>good track record
lel
>>
>>345384291
It's tail time.
>>
>>345381905
They'll never touch it again.
>>
>>345384946
Three good games is better than twenty mediocre games with five decent games sprinkled here and there.
>>
>>345385197
Dragon Quest has far more games and has a solid track record, Gex is on the bottom of "great" series. It's dead for a reason. It's shit.
>>
Isn't Crystal Dynamics doing the modern Tomb Raider games now?
>>
>>345385381
(You)
>>
File: chingatumadre.jpg (68 KB, 736x509) Image search: [Google]
chingatumadre.jpg
68 KB, 736x509
He lost his fight against Donte.
>>
>>345383854
>>345383520
but he's the James Bond archetype, why would he sound American?
fucking weird
>>
>>345385678
(You)
>>
>>345386183
I love(You)
>>
>>345386086
I looked it up to see what english gex sounded like. Fucking terrible.

sounded like a young red fox and everything was just completely out of place.
>>
>>345386656
>American Gex is literally niggerspeak
no
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Gex/Gex/
>>
>>345380309

Fuck off, kiddo.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.