[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the MMORPG died as a genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 325x133) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 325x133
Srs question. Are MMO's REALLY relevant anymore? Have MOBA's changed the game permanently?
>>
yeah. mmos are a dying breed due to the insane time investment to play.
>>
>>345372986
MMOs died with WoW

It spawned its own genre of shit tier MSN chatroom gear simulators

MOBAs have nothing to do with it
>>
MMOs died because WoW essentially killed all competition besides EVE, which takes a shitload of time investment to get good at.

MOBAs aren't really a competitor with MMOs, they're more responsible for killing RTS.
>>
>>345372986
>tfw Blizzard failed with Project Titan
>tfw you will never play a MMOFPSRPG

feels bad man
>>
>>345373695
>FPSRPG
how would that even work?
>>
File: 121212.jpg (13 KB, 263x332) Image search: [Google]
121212.jpg
13 KB, 263x332
>>345373372
They are in terms of time investment and generally a magnet for competetive people. I loved WoW PvP in terms of how it plays (that type of control and dynamic) and I'm really competetive in any online game so Dota-clones are a good substitute for me, not perfect but then again WoW PvP hasn't been perfect since WotlK
>>
But I miss wow and I want to play again /nostalgia
>>
>>345373695
what is firefall
>>
>>345373305
If it weren't WoW then EQ2 or L2 would do it. People give WoW too much credit, around the same time it came out a bunch of other titles with the same theme park, gear showcase mentality were hitting the market. Heck, L2 even had a fucking MSN Messenger client embedded for all your MSN chatroom needs.
It was EQ, with its devs, other devs that looked upon it as a model and community members who went to dev on other MMO games(WoW had at least 2 top EQ players as designers from the start IIRC) doomed the genre, whoever got to execute the sentence is irrelevant at best.
>>
>>345373695
Isn't Planetside just that? Also, there were at least a dozen other attempts at that and all failed quite terribly.
>>
Let's be real. Time investment has always been a thing in MMOs. Every video game is a time investment that probably isn't worth it in the end.

I think people just want their achievements to mean something for more than a few months. Too much vertical progression / gear treadmill ruins that.
>>
>>345372986
Yes there's money to be had and people play them. Not sure what other criteria for "relevance" you might have.

That said, no other MMO is ever going to do what WoW has, and it's going to take time for companies to process that and develop realistic expectations when a dev proposes a new MMO project. We might not really see a good diverse set of different MMOs until Blizzard slowly winds down and eventually sunsets WoW.
>>
>>345373113
It's not the time investment, it's the poor quality.
>every game is a bad WoW clone
>even WoW is now a bad fucking WoW clone
>>
File: eq2pizza.jpg (133 KB, 794x810) Image search: [Google]
eq2pizza.jpg
133 KB, 794x810
MMORPG DIED WHEN /PIZZA DIED
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.