[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well people need to start with themselves >Muh scary games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: tophorror2014_slider.jpg (63 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
tophorror2014_slider.jpg
63 KB, 624x352
Well people need to start with themselves
>Muh scary games
Horror games are not required to be scary
>B-but NO JUMPSCARES
It's almost impossible to end tension building without startling the player
The player then passes it off as a cheap jumpscare.. ..then moans that all horror games rely on cheap jumpscares

Jumpscares is too convenient of an excuse for faggots to try and act brave and denounce the quality of a games setups
The ONLY games that actually rely on jumpscares these days are indie tier shit

As much as you faggots think you know about horror games and what makes them good you really don't.
>Just make monsters scarier
Yep that's ALL a game needs to make it scary
Pray tell; what's an example of a "scary" monster to you

It's simple to understand in term of films since they run hand in hand with other horror experiences

You have the actual scary films like
The Babadook
Alien
Amityville horror
Scream

Then you have the other horror films
The Thing
The Evil Dead
Silence of the lambs
The Fly
Event horizon
Hellraiser

But I suppose these aren't actually horror films to you lot are they? since they aren't scary.
They don't have to be, they are Horrific. that's the phrase that encompasses all of the horror genre.

Even in games
Dead space - not scary: Horrific
The suffering - not scary: Horrific
Silent hill - not scary: Horrific
Forbidden siren - not scary: Horrific
Resident evil - not scary: Horrific

Get it now? Horror games DO NOT HAVE TO BE SCARY
Print screen that all you fucking want.
>>
Having a good argument with nobody, OP?

I get your points but nobody was arguing against it and that's one hell of a blog post, did you even intend to post that here or is your tumblr lacking a wall of text right now?
>>
The problem is you have to WANT to be scared for horror games to work. You have to play in the dark, remove all distractions and immerse yourself in the game. Sadly most people either think a game should be able to do that for them by magic or they deliberately sabotage it, so they can say they completed the game without feeling scared.

I think VR is going to help a great deal when it's more commonplace. I played a few demos and Alien Isolation on the DK2 and it makes a massive difference.
>>
>>345321018

Horror games do have to be scary, are you stupid? Sure, jump scares are a cheap and ineffective way of achieving that but that has nothing to do with the goal of horror games which is succinctly; horror.

Good post, it's like a serious junior high debate but you've latched on to a thread of logic that doesn't work
>>
>>345322373
They don't need to scary at all

Just like films don't need to be scary to be a horror film.
>>
>>345322373
>>345321018

Also when did you decide horror and being scared weren't synonyms for the same goddamn concept? You're inventing a difference between those two and there isn't one.
>>
>>345322553

Does a game have to have action in it to be an action game? There is no difference between horror and being scared son, same thing. If a horror game isn't scary it was just poorly designed for that genre
>>
>>345322656
YES YOU FUCKING RETARD

A HORROR GAME NEEDS HORROR ELEMENTS IN IT TO BE A HORROR GAME
THE ONLY ELEMENT OF HORROR IS NOT SPOOPY GHOSTS
>>
>>345322743
I think we're arguing the same point buddy
>>
OP stop being yourself.

Jumpscares are lazy, its easy to unnerve with atmosphere if your not a retard.

I hope Tangiers isnt dead.
>>
>>345322832
Then I apologise i'm just annoyed at idiots.
>>
Op thinks Amityville horror is scary, not sure why anyone is caring about his opinion at this point
>>
>>345322868

Lots of strong opinions on this site and people rarely give you something good to argue against I understand.
>>
>>345322091
>Condemned with VR
Fucking nope. Nope.
>>
Horror games are incompatible with the attitudes of modern gamers.

I agree with what you said. For TRUE horror, you need suspense, and fear, a fear that you, or somebody you care for, is going to die.

Millennial gamers, however, think that they're not supposed to die in video games. If you die, they think, it shows poor game design, not their lack of ability.
>>
File: fucking terrifying.png (3 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
fucking terrifying.png
3 MB, 1680x1050
Why do distorted forms, sounds and body parts are so scary to us? Imagine having a party rave underwater or have the sky suddently turn into a fractal mess? Distorted music fit into this too, I think. Is it somekind of fear of the unknown or fear of the grotesque? I mean, imagine this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ChTK-Z0ns happening in the real world, but only messier.

Are there any games that dare use Dysmorphobia to scare the player?
>>
>>345324829
Give Euclidian a shot (I think that's how it's spelt). For geometric shapes they get pretty unsettling
>>
>>345322834
Yes you can unnerve someone with atmosphere but if there's no "jumpscare" to capitalize, then it's wasted.

If you know the monster will never suprise you then why even be afraid. You wont.
>>
File: FEAR.png (33 KB, 1673x636) Image search: [Google]
FEAR.png
33 KB, 1673x636
You're faggot and TL:DR
>SEMANTICS
>>
>>345325938
Do you have a point to your little tantrum?
>>
File: 20160331014322_1.jpg (310 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
20160331014322_1.jpg
310 KB, 1360x768
They are scary though, for maybe a half an hour if lucky. The problem for games is they don't have a running time of ninety minutes and the enemies you encounter build up an expectation so they aren't unknown anymore.

That first time you encounter an enemy is generally scary though, when the first regenerator I met did that dolphin leap onto Leon and began tearing into him I leaped.

I'd say no game could ever be fully scary, just unexpected things that happen over the course of it can scare, momentarily.
>>
>>345325536
Jumpscares are "in your face".
Simple scares are much more subtle, and better.

Like, the monster you've been hiding from slowly walks around a corner 20 meters ahead.
See you, and starts moving towards you, picking up the pace.
And the the music starts.
That's the correct way of doing scares.
>>
>>345322834

If a game was GUARANTEED to have no jumpscares - if you knew that going in - the tension would reduce significantly. You can't deny that. It's impossible.
>>
>>345326074
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md6folAgGRU
>>
File: 1425374469035.gif (556 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1425374469035.gif
556 KB, 200x150
>>345321018
>You have the actual scary films like
>The Babadook
>Alien
>Amityville horror
>Scream

none of those are scary you faggot
>>
'jumpscares' are a tool. Like any tool, they can be abused and misused but rejecting them all outright is moronic.
>>
>>345326074
>Gaymer
End your life today
>>
>>345326904
Yes but they're used all the time. If they cut down on it there wouldn't be much complaining.
>>
File: alien air duct.png (198 KB, 703x379) Image search: [Google]
alien air duct.png
198 KB, 703x379
>>345326848
Alien had jumpscares you dipshit.
>>
>>345327062
It doesn't help that people call almost any sudden appearance a jumpscare, either.

Like OP said, tension building is no good if there's no payoff or threat. Players stop being scared when they realise the game has no teeth.
>>
Jump scares are a valid horror tactic because they excite the primitive "fight or flight" part of your brain.

Early mammals developed fear of quick moving objects to help them survive from things like a snake striking at you.
>>
>>345327438

just more reason why it wasnt scary at all
>>
>Things jumping out and attacking you isnt scary

>Dark hallways where nothing happens are scary

I want this meme to end. If you think getting attacked isnt scary, then you live a sheltered life, and you've never been attacked.
>>
>>345326293
Most people would call that a jumpscare still. As >>345327550 said. For example people say amnesia still has tons of jumpscares, when off the top of my head I only remember one that isn't exactly how you described.

But as >>345327729 said, there's a reason so many devs use them. It's harder to get a fight or flight reaction from someone when they know they're just playing a game, so they (usually) opt for more in your face.

I agree it needs done in moderation don't get me wrong, I'm just tired of hearing people want a "scary" game with no jumpscares because it's somehow not legitimate.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.