[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WRPG>JRPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: geralt.jpg (77 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
geralt.jpg
77 KB, 500x338
1) The most acclaimed RPG series and developers from Japan in the last generation and a half, FromSoft and the Soulsborne games, are heavily western influenced, and are rooted in Ultima Underworld, instead of classic JRPGs. Japanese developers have also tried to make WRPGs themselves. Dragon's Dogma is an example.

2) The western open world and other elements have been incorporated into JRPGs, sometimes forcibly. Examples include Xenoblade Chronicles and especially X, FFXV, Lightning Returns. Their lack of experience puts them behind western RPGs.

3) Sales and awards. WRPGs dominate awards, and major AAA titles have outsold even JRPG sales kings like FFVII.

How did this happen? Basically, the rise of JRPGs in the late 90's was a bubble and only then, Final Fantasy and Pokémon dominated. Major success wasn't genre wide, and when Final Fantasy declined and Pokémon became less influential, the genre lost it. WRPGs on the other hand, had a slowly growing audience that found success more naturally, so WRPGs had a more solid foundation.

WRPG developers are now more influential than JRPG ones as well. I may dislike Bethesda in a lot of things, but can't argue that their open world design wasn't influential. Bioware basically proved that you can have a cinematic RPG but have choice and dialog options. Mass Effects dialogue system has influenced the entire industry. The true deathblow may come from CD Projeckt Red and The Witcher 3. Incorporating what both Bioware and Bethesda are known for, while being able to match SquareEnix's production values at a fraction of the cost and time, it will be a dagger for JRPGs on consoles to ever be a force like they were in the late 90's. And it is looking like development hell is going to ravage FFXV, and having a game with dated ideas in a time when the bar is raised is going to hurt it. If FFXV fails, it may be the end of console JRPGs as Japanese companies may be lead to a massive AAA title not being worth the risk and the cost.
>>
Using Bioghey and Final Faggots as good examples ruins your argument.
>>
>>345192054
So he should of used Persona example which is a shitty dating simulator with bad dungeon crawling?
>>
Is this your Summer Reflection assignment?
>>
Star Ocean 5 was complete garbage. Japanese has just lost it
>>
ok.
>>
Japan doesnt even make RPGs.

They make dungeon crawlers
>>
>>345192160
t. Biodrone
>>
It's nice to see both genres being mutually beneficial.
I always found WRPG to have better roleplaying, worlds and character building and JRPG to have better gameplay (as in combat).

I haven't seen a good game making use of all that come out yet though.
Dragon's Dogma is probably the closest thing but it has such an uninteresting world I can't seriously take it into account.
>>
>>345192574
Bloodborne
>>
File: Youmu.jpg (1 MB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Youmu.jpg
1 MB, 3000x3000
>>345191861
I don't see why can't I enjoy both?

The true deathblow may come from CD Projeckt Red and The Witcher 3. Incorporating what both Bioware and Bethesda are known for, while being able to match SquareEnix's production values at a fraction of the cost and time, it will be a dagger for JRPGs on consoles to ever be a force like they were in the late 90's
> it will be a dagger
old pasta is old
>>
I feel like we need a new definition in between WRPG and JRPG, like MRPG for middle RPG or SRPG for slavic RPG.

Most WRPGs nowadays that come from the US or French Canada is pure cancer in terms of SJW and cuckoldry.

Based pollacks are saving the RPG genre.
>>
>>345192654
I thought about Souls game but there's little roleplaying, and representing a covenant with 3 lines of dialogue or answering "Yes/No" to a couple NPCs doesn't really count as such.
>>
>>345192846

>Poles are saving the genre by making 1 good game

sure thing, bub.
>>
>>345191861
Poland is in the eastern hemisphere you dumb fuck.

WRPGs are casual fucking garbage.
>>
the witcher series has always been shit in terms of proper rpg systems and focused more on the narrative
>>345192258
japan makes glorified adventure games and wizardry clones
>>
>>345192969
They made three.
The Witcher, The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3 are all GOLD and would all easily find a place in my top 10.
>>
>>345193026

>The Witcher
>Not casual Garbage.

Fucking PLEASE.

The game is barely even an RPG, and playing it takes absolutely no thought or character planning.

It's just an open world action game with stats.
>>
File: 1454514311762.jpg (30 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1454514311762.jpg
30 KB, 500x359
>>345193026
>eastern
>hemisphere
>>
>>345193026
american education
>>
File: spherical.jpg (25 KB, 400x359) Image search: [Google]
spherical.jpg
25 KB, 400x359
>>345193026
>eastern hemisphere
that's the actual dumbest definition of W in WRPG I've encountered

>style of game

[space intentionally left blank]

>culture of origin

nothing here

still nothing

>spherical coordinate of dev headquarters
>>
File: rpg classification.png (1 MB, 2600x1600) Image search: [Google]
rpg classification.png
1 MB, 2600x1600
today I shall remind them
>>
>>345193152
I've never even played the witcher
>>
>>345191861
Witcher 2 was influenced by Demon's Souls. It goes both ways.
>>
>>345193279
>>345193278
if you feel you need to classify them differently do it by the design cliches if anything
>>
>>345191861
I miss the time when JRPGs had engaging stories and characters. Now it's just shitty anime tropes without any depths to it.

>inb4 they were always shit

They weren't. Started up Vagrant Story last week and even the intro had much better direction to it then most JRPG's of the last couple years as a whole. Seems like japan is seriously missing some talent lately or I'm playing the wrong games.
>>
>>345191861
WRPGs are glorified sex and murder simulators just like every mature western game for angry and insecure teenagers that's why they are popular just like any other game like that. Everyone is over the age of 12 knows that kind of games are garbage.
>>
>>345191861
>3) Sales and awards. WRPGs dominate awards, and major AAA titles have outsold even JRPG sales kings like FFVII.

Why didn't you mention the best selling JRPG series of all time anon, you know the one called Pokemon which obliterates every WRPG ever in sales. Not to mention Monster Hunter, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Yokai Watch etc which all sell millions.
>>
daily reminder that only denegerates and special snowflakes like to play jrpg shit
>>
I'm just waiting for another Gothic.
>>
>>345194983
Witcher 3 is over 10 million
>>
>>345194983
Pokemon is like mobile games or Fifa, the people playing these things aren't really interested in games in general only about their one title.
>>
The one JRPG I actually want to play which is the Metal Max series is not localized
>>
>>345195172
No it didn't it only shipped 10 million not sold that is very different.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-ships-almost-10-million-copies-report/1100-6435592/

http://twinfinite.net/2016/03/the-witcher-3-sells-over-10-million/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/73427014

Pokemon alone sold 26,54 million and only on one console with userbase of about 60 million people, while Witcher 3 on the other hand sold on 3 platform which combined user base is 160 million people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_3DS_video_games

Also major JRPG release on consoles haven't even come out yet, games like FFXV, KIngdom Hearts 3, FF VII Remake, Persona 5 etcc.
>>
I play mostly JRPGs because I like all kinds of different and experimental combat systems. So basically for the gameplay. Pick a WRPG, any WRPG and you'll find the combat to be only serviceable. Nothing more.

I agree that JRPGs combat system range from utter shit to extremely good. But that's only matter of finding the best ones.

Then the story. A thing that I don't even care about and neither should you. These are games after all. If the story is shit, nothing of value is lost. If it's good, well that's a plus.
>>
>>345195217
It's still JRPG in every sense of the word, it has anime aesthetic, overworld map and turn based battle system.
>>
>>345193193

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Hemisphere
>>
>>345195581
End yourself. You have shit taste.
>>
>>345193224
>he's stupid so I'll assume he's American... oh wow, I just found more proof that Americans are stupid!
>>
>>345195707
Tiggered storyfag detected
>>
>>345195595
It is but it has a special demographic that does deviate from those that buy W and JRPGs regularly. I mean, it's the same with CollaDoody. The people don't care about game or genre they just go ahead and buy their one title once in a year. Great sales aside that doesn't really accomodate to having reliable statistic about the quality of the game.
If we go that route candy crush saga is the best game in existance bar none.
>>
File: 3a7.jpg (77 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
3a7.jpg
77 KB, 680x680
>>345195581
>>
>>345195782
Well I'm not the one who started the sales argument it was OP and I agree it means nothing.
>>
>>345191861
>Witcher 3
>Western
>Souls
>RPG

True WRPG is just the EA ones, that are shit, doesn't matter if it sells well. Neither bethesda ones. Go fuck yourself.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.