[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Chinese room
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: The_Chinese_Room_logo.jpg (19 KB, 580x300) Image search: [Google]
The_Chinese_Room_logo.jpg
19 KB, 580x300
How in the world do these devs get any praise?

>They believe that good gameplay and good story are mutually exclusive
>Only make walking simulators
>Actually responsible for the proliferation of these.
>Turned amnesia into one of these
>They literally believe gamers are too dumb to be able to appreciate a good story if they have fleshed out gameplay

Not even kidding, they justified the removal of features and general simplification of gameplay for amnesia 2 by saying that "if we would have all of those elements from the first game, the players wouldnt be able to focus on the story and we're trying to tell a story here!"
>>
they're cheap to hire.
>>
>>345167357
>these devs get any praise
[citation needed]
>>
>>345167357
I enjoyed Korsakovia
>>
>>345167464

anon literally every game they release gets great sales and reviews from both players and critics.
>>
>>345167840
"Critics" are just game bloggers who want to feel adult. They rode on Amnesia's success for AMFP and I don't think Rapture sold that well.
>>
>>345167993

And what are gamers?

The thing is that its hip to say that these games are amazing because it makes you sound deep and smart.

Also, theyre so cheap to make, they need a very small number of sales to succeed.
>>
>>345167840
Still no sources. I don't think I've ever seen anyone saying good things about Dear Esther, A Machine for Pigs or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, apart from retarded SJWs who just praise their games because they're apparently 'progressive'. The first one sold well because of its timing and it was pretty much the start of the 'walking-sim' genre, and it has been discounted by really big amounts and been on multiple bundles. The second one sold solely on the back of the first Amnesia, and the third didn't sell well at all, nowhere even near their prior releases. All of their games have pretty bad user reviews too, so apart from hipster bloggers, I don't see any praise.
>>
>>345168679

A lot of gamers say that the games are amazing and shit because of what >>345168174 said, liking them makes you look smart and progressive.

Sure in the last few years they've been getting more (deserved) flak, but during release, the circlejerking around how great those games are is huge.
>>
>>345167840
Rapture got terrible reviews. Ironically Chinese Room actually are the worst of the "Walking Simulator" devs. Even people who like these types of games don't like Chinese Room.
>>
>>345169008

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture

73 critics score, not bad reviews
>>
File: 1467934843611.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1467934843611.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>>345167357
>decent writing
>competent world building/aesthetics/graphics
>Good music

Say what you want about the lack of gameplay but the overall package of what they deliver is pretty cohesive and engaging. They have a niche in the market and fill that role well. Only point I will concede on is that games media will not hop off walking sims dick and they do not deserve all the praise they get.
>>
Because they're butt-buddies with the retards reviewing their walking simulators.
>>
>>345169001
Which is understandable, as I said, they were pretty much the main studio doing that genre of games, and they were something new, which critics seem to love, despite being terrible, the novelty factor played a big part on their reviews. Most people can still look beyond the bullshit and see that their 'games' are crap, and critics seem to be turning around now that walking-sims are getting boring too. That is until they come up with a game featuring a black transsexual character or something that panders really hard to the SJWs that enjoy their work.
>>
File: 41532514.jpg (31 KB, 610x433) Image search: [Google]
41532514.jpg
31 KB, 610x433
>>345167357
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.