[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys still hold any hope that Half-Life might continue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: half-life_3-game.jpg (582 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
half-life_3-game.jpg
582 KB, 2560x1600
Do you guys still hold any hope that Half-Life might continue in any way?

I look at games like FFXV or The Last Guardian, games that were promised when the last gen was getting started and are just now coming out, and it just feels like too little too late. What might have been novel back in 2006 is done to fucking death in 2016.

Half-Life also felt like one of those last vanguards of older, more sophisticated shooter sentiments, especially in a generation so obsessed with glorified cutscenes where things explode, crash or fall down and you press forward + jump to get through everything. But there have been some other great stuff like Wolfenstein New Order and Doom. It's not a bonafide renaissance, there's still more CODs and Uncharteds than Serious Sams, but it's not quite so barren anymore.
>>
Honestly it's been so long I wouldn't even be excited if they announced a sequel. The novelty of the game has long worn off for me.
>>
>>345160052
>Do you guys still hold any hope that Half-Life might continue in any way?

no. everyone gave up years ago. whatever tiny shred of hope there was evaporated after laidlaw left valve.
>>
Post ferns
>>
>>345160052
FULLY
>>
>>345160052
I never played half life and the original deus ex or crash bandigook but i really hope you faggot fans just die off and let the REAL players dominate tis board
>>
File: cm_11_06[1].jpg (529 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cm_11_06[1].jpg
529 KB, 1920x1200
>>345160534
have some breen instead
>>
>>345160712
I will accept this as well.
>>
hl3 is going to be a vr multiplayer free-to-play pay-to-win open world sandbox htc vive exclusive $799.99 plus tip
>>
>>345160052
Nah shit's fucked, RIP In Reese's Pieces. Valve can eat a bag of dicks.
>>345160710
KYS b8fag.
>>
>>345160052
Remember when every girl in vidya was baring her midriff? What a magical time that was.
>>
fully rendered 3D vagina!
>>
>>345160052
whos ready for halflife 3: finding freeman the mobile game
its like pokemon go with no indicators
if someone spots the freeman valve releases halflife4
>>
>>345160052
>Do you guys still hold any hope
Nope
>that Half-Life might continue in any way?
Also nope
So many reasons have been said many times here before. Valve can ride Steam forever. Valve doesn't have a good track record of counting to three. Valve can't rise their quality up to that level of hype. Valve will continue to put their eggs in other baskets. It's still very possible. They could announce it tomorrow, but every sign suggests that if they do ever plan to release HL3, it certainly won't be anytime soon.
>>
Someone post the webm with the dripping vagina.
>>
>Valve announces Half-Life game
>It's a reboot
>>
>>345160052
>Half-Life also felt like one of those last vanguards of older
No it doesn't. If anything, Half-Life 2 was at the vanguard of those shooters you revile. It started the trend of linearity and slow shooters you're blasting, just like Tolkein and Moorcock launched a thousand bad imitators.

>more sophisticated shooter sentiments
Not really. You're too tanky, the enemies are dumb, slow, and inaccurate, there's not enough variety for enemies but there are way too many pickups. It's definition of difficulty is too nerf your damage and increase the enemy's damage, making your guns feel even more pathetic, but it's still way too easy on hard. Movement, especially in vehicles feels really floaty (a problem in many source games, for some reason). The guns lack the punch they did in HL1, and there really isn't anything as cool as the Gluon Gun or Tau Cannon in your arsenal (I know it's on the jeep, but that doesn't count). The lack of recoil (alright, that could be excused by Gordon's HEV suit compensating), pathetic sounds, and inaccuracy also makes shooting guns feel weak.

As for miscellaneous complaints: The dialogue is written extremely well, and I liked the setting, but you're never really allowed to soak that in. Despite being witty and well written, the dialogue doesn't work anywhere near as well as HL1 because you're being talked to, not at. When a scientist tells me to go to the Lamda Core because the group there might know a way to seal the Xen portal, it's way more believable then Alyx flirting with Gordon.

I also prefer the setting of HL1 and Raising the Bar more then what we got.

I have a ton of other complaint, but I still had a lot of fun, especially when I tweaked the skill.cfg. HL2 is a solid 8/10 for me, not the greatest shooter known to man like lots of people make it out to be. And yes, I did play it back in 2004-2005 and still found it underwhelming when compared to FEAR or Farcry.
>>
Not as a matter of hope, but I know it will, even if without Gaben. Maybe a reboot or something.
>>
>>345160052
I honestly don't think its even in valve's best interest anymore. A good portion of the people who would've bought it have lost interest. Also, it would get picked apart by everyone except valve cum-sluts.
>>
>>345160052
New to HL what order should I play in?
>>
>>345160052
I know this has been mentioned jokingly but I guarantee HL3 will be a VR exclusive FPS. Count on it.
>>
>>345161642
>walking back home
>00:00 am
>open the HL Go app
>checking dark alley
>suddenly G-Man out of nowhere
>>
At this point Valve will only develope it if they'll be in dire need of money.

Which doesn't seem likely.

Even then, should the game be released, it wouldn't manage to meet the expectations by fans.

Valve has, first and foremost, been a business firm from the day it was initiated.
>>
The problem I see is the Half-Life games were always a product of their times. Half-Life was very story-driven and had more realistic settings, contrasting the more abstract and arcadey feel of FPS before that. It wasn't the first game to do that obviously, Duke Nukem 3d and story-driven console shooters existed, but it kinda perfected it. Half Life 2, along with Doom 3, existed in the awkward transition phase between more open shooters and linear shooters. Both games end up pretty much being the dividing line between old-school and new-school.

Right now there's no clear transition or future for FPS. You can argue Doom 4 might signal a return to more arena-based shooters, but we'll have to wait and see. Story-driven FPS is a complete shitshow right now, there's almost none out right now. Homeland tried, sort of, and it was a complete disaster. You could argue a game like Half Life 3 would be impossible right now. You have people clamoring for more Quake and Doom-like gameplay, but there's still games that focus more on multiplayer than story, and when they do have a story it's shit. So yeah, I don't think there's even a market for something like HL3.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.