[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Berserk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 15
File: 1439826660931.jpg (10 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1439826660931.jpg
10 KB, 320x320
How exactly would one make a great game based on this series and which arc would it cover?

On one side, I'm thinking The Golden Age would be a good one, as it has a lot of potential for cool fights and gameplay but I am not sure a video game could capture a mood as somberly as the manga/anime did.
>>
>How exactly would one make a great game based on this series?
Give it to Platinum.
>>
>>345118467
Fuck no
They would make it way too over the top

From would be the only choice.
>>
>>345118467

Platinum would turn it into a mindless hack-and-slash. The story and the atmosphere would be lost.
>>
>>345119117

You just know Platinum would have Guts be a one-line machine and dropped the entire story to have you carve up a bunch of enemies.

Guts most recognized achievement was killing a hundred men by himself (and even after that he was close to death). If they turned him into Raiden 2.0 it wouldn't fit the source material.
>>
Would have to be Golden Age otherwise it would have to be a spin off.

Gameplay, no clue I don't think there is a game out there that has gameplay that suits Berserk. But if someone could pull off a balance between Dynasty Warriors overpowered as hell against hordes of enemies player character and then some kind of duel / one on one mechanic for bosses, possibly similar to DMC boss fights against Vergil / Dante. The hard part is balancing the big sweeping moves good against the shitters and the precise tactical aspect of a good boss fight.
>>
>Platinum
>From

Yeah no, if anything this musou comes closest and that comes from a guy who hates these games.
>>
>>345120082

I agree with this.

Dynasty Warriors might be a good fit, but it would make boss encounters too trivial.

I am also worried of the genres ability to portray "the strong moments" and the entire final part of the Golden Age arc.

Berserk needs to capture the fun of cutting up hundreds of enemies with the nightmarish feeling of being up against something much bigger than yourself.
>>
>>345120994

From could probably nail the feel of the weapons and armor as well as bosses and larger encounters, but I doubt they'd do hordes as well as Berserk would demand.

If they could find a balance between the two then things could happen, but it is a bit of a long-shot.
>>
>>345121585
From games are far too slow, but Platinum has enemies that are too fast.

It kind of should feel overpowered as that's what the story is about. Schierke is always being named as the deus ex machina but in reality that's Guts. Dude is a whirlwind of blades in a molasses of slow enemies.
>>
Of course it would be the fucking golden arc. It's literally the only thing people know about the series and it has been pure shit on recent years.

A dark souls-esque game would be the best
>>
>>345121861

Ehr, again, I feel that one of Guts biggest acknowledged accomplishments in the Golden Age saga was cutting down a hundred men. And even that he barely survived.

Sure he goes up against titans and god-like creatures down the line, but I never felt he was the killing machine everyone wanted to portray him as.

He is stupidly powerful and he wields a sword that would put Cloud to shame as it it was made of air, but I'm too afraid a arcade'y dev like Platinum would put too much focus on just carving shit up.

Berserk isn't known for its 10/10 fight scenes as much as for it's surprisingly hellish story in my experience (but I'm sure that's a matter of perspective).
>>
>>345122098
Imagine the 100-man-slayer scene with dark souls combat. It wouldn't work.
>>
I'm reading it now, about 2/3 of the way through. Can't believe it took me this long to get around to it.

It couldn't be done in the style of any other game. It would have to be the kind of dedicated product that we don't see devs making anymore, they're so hellbent on being formulaic. Same reason we can't get a good Conan the Cimmerian game.
>>
>>345122281

Exactly, this is the problem. Don't forget how fucking ruined Guts was after that fight too.

You could argue that Bloodborn is the fastest souls-like game out there in terms of speed, and even there 100 men at once would be borderline undoable.
>>
>>345122281

Yes, yes it fucking would. Just make 100npc against 100 npc were you only aggro the closest ones and give them really low hp.
>>
>>345121861
>It kind of should feel overpowered as that's what the story is about

No fuck that. Sure it would feel like Berserk on a visual level but that's it. It wouldn't feel satisfying or make you feel powerful in the long run if there's no challenge. And it's not like Guts just does that shit mindlessly either, it would be good if the game required you to step up to his level.
>>
>>345122404

But Guts almost died fighting those 100 men. This would have to be a fight that really did require all the mettle of the player to survive or be annihilated. If the player survives only a sliver of health should remain.

Giving Guts a hundred meat-dummies to carve up wouldn't do it justice.

>100npc against 100 npc

Except Guts fought alone.
>>
>>345119538
>have Guts be a one-line machine
Guts' is pretty one-liner happy, even back in Lost Children.
>>
>>345122470
>>345122246
But that's what I mean. Neither from nor platinum could do this justice because from makes it too underpowered but Platinum would make the enemies cuhrazy to balance out Guts, who they'd make even stronger too. It's either a musou or a whole other dev that could produce something that would fit but ai feel from and platinum are rusted into predictable patterns.
>>
>>345122970
No idea what you're talking about anon the AI in Platinum games is pretty passive and shit. And even if the AI actively were trying to kill you, so what? It'd just encourage you to become proficient at the game so you can feel like you're Guts instead of handing it on a plate.
>>
>>345121861
>From games are far too slow
Souls isn't the only game From has made
>>
>>345123701
No, but the ones that make people want a from game are.
>>
There's already a great berserk game.
>>
>>345119538
>Guts most recognized achievement was killing a hundred men by himself (and even after that he was close to death).
He got quite a few upgrades since then dude
>>
>more Golden Age

Fucking no.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 299x168
>>345121469
>>>345120082

>Dynasty Warriors might be a good fit, but it would make boss encounters too trivial.

As far as I know, they're making boss fights more interesting than what they've done in past games. I hope they can pull it off without them just being huge damage sponges
>>
>>345122098
>A dark souls-esque game would be the best
Not even close. In order to do Golden Age, you need mounts, big groups of enemies all the time... it would end up not playing like Soulsborne at all.

I would much prefer seeing an AA company, someone new in the industry, take it on. I'd rather play an 8-15 hour mid-budget action game with a unique gimmick / trick weapon to it, like Time Shift or Dark Sector or one of those. Have it be mission-based with an overworld map of Midland in between missions and with cutscenes throughout.

Musou is actually not that bad overall, it's just that the developer does not have the greatest track record. If it was a similar style game being taken on by a more unique or newer dev, then that basic formula would really be the best in my eyes. I'm thinking like Ninety Nine Nights, or maybe Kingdom Under Fire. Berserk is a story after all, you will never get a perfect adaptation of it.

The Soulsborne suggestions though, those are so off. They're nothing like Berserk.
>>
>>345118031
The PS2 game did a really good job at making something that captured the feeling of the manga as far as I'm concerned.

If anything, they could have improved the feedback you get when hitting enemies, to make the weapon feel like it carries more weight without actually making your attacks slower.
That and having more combo variety by having one more attack button and letting you do different things if you change the timing of your button presses would make it 10/10 Berserk game.

Keep the parry and the option to counter attack even after you get hit, that shit was pretty fucking rad and it helped convey that Guts doesn't fuck around.
>>
>>345118031
Post-golden age, a mix between action-adventure open world and survival game.

At night you have to fend off horrors, by day you try to do quests. You have conserve your resources.
>>
File: 1607081807.jpg (217 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1607081807.jpg
217 KB, 1280x720
Platinum can't do it, it'd be too ridiculous. From can't do it, it'd be too slow. No one can do it. The end.
>>
>inb4 more Lost Children arc cocksucking
>>
>>345118031
It exist and it's the souls serie
Also a game existe on ps2
>>
>>345124868
U talking shit about my girl?
>>
Telltale
>>
>>345118031
>Golden Age Arc
Jesus christ no, why does everyone have such a boner for this arc? It's good but there a shit ton better ones. Make a game around the lost children and church arc, those are far better.
>>
>>345118031
ancient /v/ proverb;
>from for pre-armor
>platinum post-armor
>>
>>345124972
I'd play it.
>>
>>345124717
>Musou is actually not that bad overall

Musou is a perfect fit in the sense that Guts really cleaves through hordes of enemies at this point, but in my experience they are floaty as hell and that just doesn't do the Dragonslayer justice, that weapon needs to feel like it has weight.

Also, not a big fan of how some attacks send a bunch of enemies flying back, even a lot of them that didn't even get hit by the sword.
It kinda worked in Hyrule Warriors but in the trailer for their Berserk game it looked kinda retarded tbqh
>>
File: 1354305622718.jpg (204 KB, 696x1102) Image search: [Google]
1354305622718.jpg
204 KB, 696x1102
>>345118031
Open world, kinda like Skyrim. With no relevance to the canon story, maybe skull knight timeline or something.
>>
>>345125000
most ppl on /v/ have shit taste
>>
>>345125685
this
/v/ is just /a/ for people with bad taste in music and literature
>>
>>345125000
Thank you. I am so sick of that arc. And it's not like people who jerk off to it don't have several different adaptations they can go to. Things are much more interesting when it's more horror/fantasy/action than just another "MUH COURT INTRIGUE AND WARRING NOBLES" thing.
>>
Platinum does not have a good track record. They are the worst for it.
>>
This sounds stupid and wrong in my head but I'll say it.

With Uncharted's really smooth and varied context-sensitive animations, a Berserk game developed by Naughty Dog sounds cool.

But seriously, if anyone were to make a good Berserk game, Grasshopper would do it better than From, Platinum, or Musou.
>>
>>345125000
The issue from a game standpoint is that there aren't really any arcs as substantial, you could do a merge of lots of smaller arcs post-golden but you would run the risk of not providing a satisfactory ending.

That or do a spin-off; could be good.
>>
>>345118031
Like The Witcher 3

Its already like Berserk if you switch Eredin with Griffith, Nilfgaard with the Kushan Empire etc.
>>
>>345120082
I always thought of a game where they use mount and blade mechanics for the Golden age and DMC for post eclipse stuff.
>>
>>345124512

Yeah but I'm operating under the presumption that the game will be based on the Golden Age arc as discussed with that other Anon.
>>
File: 1446681542635.gif (1024 KB, 242x227) Image search: [Google]
1446681542635.gif
1024 KB, 242x227
>>345127056
>main weapon ends up being your arm crossbow
>melee weapon becomes "press x to execute"
>>
>>345118031
FROM for level design and visuals
Platinum for combat
CC2 for action scenes/ story battle events
>>
>>345125017

Not the dumbest idea ever, actually.
>>
>>345125186

I genuinely think Kris did nothing wrong.
>>
>>345129112
>Platinum for combat

Have you ever seen the source material?
>>
I have a lame idea of how to do it to have almost all the arcs avairlable on the run:

Golden Age Arc as a demi-linear set of events and fights. First parts as tutorials of how this game works

>Eclipse happends

Black Swordsman Arc as open-wolrd-like finding which apostle you would kill. Difficulty increases you like it or not and the deads chases you at night. The order of apostles would not be canonical (relying on player's choice on where to go), but they'll be there.

After you complete certain amount of apostles killed, the inquisition-parody-thing will chase you. If they get near to you or something: Lost Children and Conviction Arc.

For the rest, well, a mixture of Golden Age and Black Swordsman gameplay.

>LULZ
>>
>>345131090

This is actually not the worst idea ITT.

A little worried about how they'd squeeze all the Golden Age up to the eclipse into a tutorial though.
>>
>>345131381
Gut's young life will likely serve as a "big" tutorial.

Everything else like Doldrey battle and Guts vs 100 Dudes is a matter of testing player's skills. At that point the player should be strong so no worries.

After the Eclipse, everything will be more difficult since you have to fight dudes and dead beings.
>>
Everyone seems to be having a hard time with the balance issue, so how about something like this:

>demons, undead, god-hands and everything like it will be a Dark Souls like boss, that's hard as shit
>normal humans will be meat-dummies with named humans, generals and such, as a tutorial for a new technique or skill that has to be mastered
>>
I would make it an origin story of Zodd, instead of showing us what we've had decades to see. And given his reputation, I honestly don't feel like a musou would be inappropriate here, because every fight he seems to have ever been in, short of meeting Gutts in battle, has been a massacre. Drakengard would be a good example of how to do this, musou-scale battles with RPG elements of character progression.
>>
>>345132276

>demons, undead, god-hands and everything like it will be a Dark Souls like boss, that's hard as shit

Indeed. Berserk should be unforgiving as hell.

>normal humans will be meat-dummies with named humans, generals and such, as a tutorial for a new technique or skill that has to be mastered

It would make sense on the later, but not on the Golden Age thing since every boss/enemy you'll encounter is a General or something akind to that. It could serve as tutorials but i don't like the idea of bosses being that easy.
>>
>>345133053

True, but you gotta' remember that most generals fell to Guts pretty easily.

Sure they weren't push-overs, but most of them didn't land even a single blow before he carved their extremities off.

Guts has a problem with large quantities of soldiers (because he can't be everywhere at once) and demons (because they're fucking demons). In a one-on-one with a mortal he tends to do pretty well.
>>
File: SWEDEN YES.jpg (82 KB, 1280x707) Image search: [Google]
SWEDEN YES.jpg
82 KB, 1280x707
>>
File: blood.webm (2 MB, 752x568) Image search: [Google]
blood.webm
2 MB, 752x568
>>345133363
But he only fought one general and he would have died if Zodd didn't save him.

>>345133053
I liked that some aspects of the PS2 Berserk game actually were challenging and forced you to stay focused for very long stretches of time.
>>
>>345134042
>But he only fought one general and he would have died if Zodd didn't save him.

Are we still talking about the same arc here?
>>
Implement the stance mechanic from Nioh could be good?
>>
>>345134120
I dunno I just jumped in.

General Boscogne or whatever won against Guts but Zodd bailed him out.
>>
>>345134240

Guts didn't do styles. He had one style: swing his sword around him very fast with the power of a small elephant.
>>
Anyone else looking forward to the new game? I'm excited about getting to play as all the different characters.
>>
File: berserk.webm (2 MB, 938x500) Image search: [Google]
berserk.webm
2 MB, 938x500
>>345124756
The PS2 game had some issues that could be fixed to great effect.

1. Improve the shitastic block mechanic with the long af animation lock.

2. Improve the R1+square special moves.

3. Improve the charge attack.

4. Make countering more intuitive(maybe I just suck?).

The timing of your button presses is already taken into consideration so maybe you're just looking for a wider variety of animations?

>>345134510
He did too have stances. One that you may remember was the stance he took while fighting Zodd for the first time.
>>
>>345134042

That game looks fucking fun. What arc is it?
>>
>>345118031
the boat arc. sailing adventure game

>game is just two hours long because it was a short ride

as for an actual game, if you want quality and respect towards the original material. then obviously you need nintendo and sakurai
>>
>>345134842

Oh, fuck, you're right, there was a stance there wasn't there? I'm wrong then, my bad.
>>
>>345118031
Golden Age RTS
>>
>>345134510
But that could work in order to fight huge waves of enemies. Then switch stance for the 1v1 battles
>>
File: 1453407861693.jpg (301 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1453407861693.jpg
301 KB, 1280x800
Dragon's Dogma did a pretty damn good job at being a Berserk video game honestly.
>>
>>345119117
From would make it slow and clunky

Give it to Capcom
>>
File: Berserk (1).webm (2 MB, 752x568) Image search: [Google]
Berserk (1).webm
2 MB, 752x568
>>345134882
Guts and Casca in the snow to just after Guts gets the berserker armor.

>>345134983
He takes a few other stances too throughout the manga. It's not like he changes sword style like some kung fu movie but he does prepare for certain confrontations every now and then.
>>
>>345135078

Total War: Golden Age

You command the White Hawks, marauder style.
>>
>>345119538
>Guts most recognized achievement was killing a hundred men by himself (and even after that he was close to death). If they turned him into Raiden 2.0 it wouldn't fit the source material.

This post reeks of "I've not read the manga".

kek.
>>
What did you guys think of the Berserk movies? I thought they captured the spirit of the adventure splendidly.

And that score was GOAT.
>>
File: Asura's_Wrath_Cover_Art.png (356 KB, 250x266) Image search: [Google]
Asura's_Wrath_Cover_Art.png
356 KB, 250x266
Here's the right answer.
>>
File: gutsu.webm (3 MB, 752x568) Image search: [Google]
gutsu.webm
3 MB, 752x568
>>345135473
He's right though.
>>
>>345135318
lacks gore
berserk is not berserk whitout gore

is like witcher whitout sarcasm
>>
>>345135541

AW has the right levels of crazy. I'll give it that.
>>
>>345135521
rushed. too rushed. rushed the already rushed plot lines and cut a lot out of the character development. theyre good to start with. if they interest you, then go on to read the manga
>>
>>345135689
>is like witcher whitout sarcasm
That's such a good description of it, it's such a dry lifeless game.
>>
>>345135771

I'm actually thinking about picking up the manga. One thing I really liked was the supernatural elements of the story and the way Griffith and the side-cast were handled.

If the manga has more of that then sign me up.
>>
>>345135689
Dunno, Berserk was never about the gore to me
>>
File: Berserk_v3_p076.png (2 MB, 2429x1800) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v3_p076.png
2 MB, 2429x1800
>>345135935
>and the way Griffith and the side-cast were handled
well the movies had NONE of that. so if you saw that, and liked it, you will really like the manga.

however i should tell you that the manga begins after the golden age. you will see guts being very different for a short while before the golden age flashback begins, and it is a very long flashback that stretches across many volumes. pay attention to the implications of what is said at the beginning of the series
>>
>>345129739
Have you?
Platinum is not just MGR
And even then Guts swings his sword multiple times a seconds later on
>>
>>345136339

Fuck I'm sold. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>345135473
He is right though, that is what he is known for not to mention he was aided in some form through all his other big time fights; except that one, it was just him versus those hundred men. There was no paranormal agency at play there.
>>
>>345132841
I was about to post something similar.

If you fleshed out Drakengard's system and tweaked it a bit, you'd have a pretty nifty Berserk game engine.

No dragon, swap spells for crossbow/hand cannon, and they already did a sword inspired by the Dragonslayer.

All it would need is a counter mechanic to really shine.
>>
>>345136492
theres torrents for the series. you can find them anywhere. i got mine off kat. all 37 volumes plus whatever chapters were released at the time of upload. i actually think its so up to date, if it doesnt have the newest one, its only missing one chapter. mine was only missing chapter 344, because that chapter came out very recently
>>
>>345136747
It really doesn't get enough credit, it was a solid mesh of the two ideas.
>>
Claustrophobic dungeon crawler action in the rebirth arc (where Guts is up against the crazy falt faced cardinal and his posse in that valley)
>>
>>345137205
Very true. even more, almost every weapon handled differently because of weight and spell selection. It got a little repetitive after a while, sure, but it did a good job of portraying you as a one man army while still keepin you vulnerable. It also showed you not to fuck around with archers and crossbowmen.
>>
>>345119387

What story? It's so paper thin it may as well not exist
>>
>>345137854
>It also showed you not to fuck around with archers and crossbowmen
And mages while you're in dragon form.
>>
>>345137901
>Berserk's story
>paper thin
>>
>>345118467

>le epic Platinum meme
>>
>>345137854
Shut up faggot
>>
>>345137917
>mages
I made it a point to murder every last one on the map out of principle. Fuck those assholes.
>>
>>345138121
Either that was the point or we had the same idea, they were fucking awful pieces of shit.
>>
>>345125054

>play a TellTale game
>play
>...
>>
>>345137901

You might be the dumbest individual on /v/ right now. That's quite a feat.
>>
>>345138183
You know what he means, you stinky poop.
>>
>>345138106
There is no need to be upset, friend. Drakengard is already heavily inspired by berserk so I think the system could be up for the task with a little work.
>>
>>345138182
Yeah pretty much. Your dragon just had to fart once they popped in for you to get bitch slapped out of the air. Auto aiming motherfuckers.
>>
>>345118031
You make a game based on the black swordsman arc with a little lost children thrown in. No Casca or the JRPG party though. Just Guts, Puck and the Dragonslayer. Puck is your healing whenever you're out of combat puck will fly around you and heal up your wounds.

The game has two phases during the day you travel to settlements and try to get some food, repairs, materials and a place to sleep. By night you travel out of the settlement and fight evil spirits drawn by the brand until dawn and you start the process again.

You progress in the game by killing apostles, each apostle is it's own drawn out boss fight with multiple stages and forms. They'll typically start in a humanoid form, then when suitably damaged they'll transform into a monstrous form, and if pushed far enough some might assume an even more grotesque form. When the apostle is dead its vile blood seeps into the dragonslayer altering it's composition and moving it further into the arcane.
>>
>>345139226

I like this idea.
>>
>>345118031
Gameplay would vary from character to character
Guts - Musou (but with mooks that actually can attack and damage you), Griffith - Classic Fire Emblem, Shierke - Dragon's Dogma, etc
>>
File: guts.webm (2 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
guts.webm
2 MB, 800x600
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.