[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/, what's so good about jrpgs? I want to know more about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: bnrkazoqpocsgsz3ohdd.jpg (97 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
bnrkazoqpocsgsz3ohdd.jpg
97 KB, 636x358
/v/, what's so good about jrpgs?
I want to know more about jrpgs in general. Enlighten me.
I'm more of a shooter person myself plz don't call me casual
>>
Literally nothing. Don't believe what any weeb says, stick to your gut.
>>
>>345082232
Kill yourself
>>
>>345082343
>A wild weaboo has appeared!
>>
File: 1414200768974.jpg (84 KB, 628x555) Image search: [Google]
1414200768974.jpg
84 KB, 628x555
if you like grindan, they're fun
many people put a lot more value in the characters from jrpgs as well, since story is much more important (being longer than most other games genres) in jrpgs
plus waifus keep the fanboys coming back
>>
Big monsters, flashy attacks, usually have to manage little stats for an entire party, and also has the types of things you'd expect from an anime equivalent in its design. I'd say the main appeal is the amount of time you put into the games, and by the end you are doing insane shit with huge numbers and things. I'd say a lot of jrpgs also have great music and visual design too. That's why I like them.
>>
>>345081174
No real skill involved, watch the numbers get bigger and enjoy the ride for the story. Sure, there are exception to all of these, but that's the norm for JRPG. As of late pandering has also factored in where literally nothing matters as long as there are waifu characters to fawn over.
>>
>>345082541
>seeing those 9999 damage numbers flying above enemy's heads after every hit
i swear if there was a math fetish, most jrpg fans would fall into that category
watching numbers go up is so weirdly satisfying
>>
>>345082558
This is what I got with Persona 3 when every one said it was amazing.
>>
>>345081174
>/v/, what's so good about jrpgs?

They were the first type of games that actually told a good long story. Those were days before any other game even bothered telling long story due to restrictions back then. Nowadays we have cgi cutscenes and other shit to tell a story, but back then... if you wanted a good story in vidya, it has to be rpg.

These days, RPGs are still some of the best story telling vidya because half the game is dedicated to storytelling.
>>
Since this is a JRPG thread, I just order Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Shit was kind of expensive at £45 but I fear that the price is only going to go up and availability down so it's probably best to get it now.

Anyone who's played it, can you make a poorfag feel better about parting with his money by telling me it's good?
>>
File: 1431489206061s.jpg (3 KB, 107x125) Image search: [Google]
1431489206061s.jpg
3 KB, 107x125
>>345082661
persona 3's gameplay was trash, having played the FES version, but damn the story and the characters and music and atmosphere were all so top notch they hooked me for 80+ hours, i didn't care that i had to grind so much
>>
>>345082661
You kinda have to accept that's what JRPGs are go from there. That doesn't make them bad or good, just boils them down to their essence.
>>
>>345082705
i've heard a few jrpg fag friends of mine and a few reputable weebs online saying that it's one of the best rpgs this gen
so don't feel too bad
>>
>>345082917
That's good to hear. I don't really like/never play overly weeb stuff like Nep or Atelier but have a bit of a soft spot for Persona level stuff. Kinda dreading my flatmate or girlfriend walking in on some cringey idol shit though.
>>
>>345083096
if your gf or flatmate aren't into idol shit, you need to dump their ass
>>
File: 1461622459821.png (373 KB, 386x403) Image search: [Google]
1461622459821.png
373 KB, 386x403
>>345082232
First post best post.

Seriously tho EVERY jrpg is just basically Wizardry, a game from 1981.
>>
>>345083567
>Seriously tho EVERY jrpg is just basically Wizardry, a game from 1981.

I wish.
>>
>>345081174
>/v/, what's so good about jrpgs?
What does this question even mean? It's a genre. Like every genre, it has its masterpieces and its trash. Play the good stuff, avoid the bad.
>>
to me it's the investment and immersion

spending 80+ hours with great characters and great worlds that make you care about them is something no other genre accomplishes
>>
File: CHIM.jpg (74 KB, 560x556) Image search: [Google]
CHIM.jpg
74 KB, 560x556
>>345084658
But how do you know whats good if you don't play the bad as well?
>>
For me it's character progression. The gameplay and story in jrpgs are usually shit and but there's so much interaction between the characters you end up caring for it anyway.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.