[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate snipers in fps vidya?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 24
File: 323279.jpg (777 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
323279.jpg
777 KB, 1920x1200
Why do people hate snipers in fps vidya?
>>
With every 100 snipers, there's 1 good one.

The 99 are deadweight on your team

And the 1 good one will be the enemy and totally fuck you up.
>>
One shot kill, large range, small risk and they think it takes skill
>>
File: 1384230321498.jpg (280 KB, 912x3092) Image search: [Google]
1384230321498.jpg
280 KB, 912x3092
>>
>>345076008
Snipers are infinitely better than campers. If you can't see a good half of the map from a nice vantage point you aren't sniping though.

Half of the map can also see you so better shoot fast and accurate
>>
>>345076008
Boom your dead nothing you can do about it

Its not true in every game but, in games where you dont normaly die in one hit such as TF2 its bullshit
>>
>>345076008
Because there's only two kinds of snipers: Shit snipers that don't contribute jack, and their own team hate them, and godly sniper that OHKO everything they see to the point of sucking all the fun of playing out of the enemy team.

There's no winning with snipers, they either hinder their team or ruin the game for half the server.
>>
>>345076008
SNIPER GET DO-
>>
>>345076398
Check common sniper nests before running across open ground. Chuck nades or shoot rockets to be double sure. Use smoke grenades, or go way out of your way and use natural cover to circle around. Have a teammate cover you with machine gun.
>>
>>345076135
This.
Sniping is an art forms that very few can perfect.
>>
>>345076648
Not all games let you do that
>>
>>345076008
Because they play shit games

a.k.a TF2, CSGO, Overwatch (lol), CoD, BF and all other generic casual shooters
>>
>>345076398
>tfw they get killed by the AWP is an OP piece of shit
>tfw they suck with AWP its just a piece of shit
>>
Snipers are fine when they constantly move. It's interesting seeing another players movements through the game and if I get shot from a different location than the last by the same person I'm ok with that.
>>
>>345076735
>cant shoot at spots a sniper would like
>cant use thrown or fired explosives
>NO SMOKE
>NO CROUCH/CRAWL
>NO VISUAL COVER
>can't tell teammate to bullet hose in a general direction while you make a mad dash
Those games must be shit and not worth playing then.
>>
Because I think I found a creative spot then I turned around and saw three dudes, looked up, saw another wookie standing on my head, five to my right, and ten to my left.
>>
90% of the snipers stand still and get nothing done
9% of the snipers are ok
1% of the snipers are those fucking godlike people with aim-bot-like aim and its just so fucking stupid getting instakilled by a hitscan. If he is good enough he will position his crosshair on your head and click on it you dont get to have any word on it only thing you can do is walk backwards, look down and spin like a fucking retard but even then youre in a risk.
>>
>>345076459
don't include the "dash" you fucking idio
>>
>>345076008
Long range rifles are only good when you can have a wide view of an open battlefield.
The vast majority of games and maps do not have any such battlefields. They have short, narrow maps with short, narrow corriders, and the long range rifles are less effective than a good man with an M4.

If more games and maps featured wide open spaces, snipers would be loved and feared. With how it is, people hate on them because they're more or less useless and all the edgelords want to be them because MUH ONE SHOT ONE KILL TACTICOOL fantasy.
>>
>>345076008

I don't hate them, I hate playing them.
>>
>>345076990
>>345076459
HHAHA LOL I LOVE THIS MEME LET ME DO IT TOO DAMN, I FUCKED UP SORRY GUYS

Fuck off back to shittid.
>>
>>345076973
That's when you start team killing, good games will kick and ban you from that lobby.

2-3 times and you should find a lobby without cancer
>>
In multiplayer because snipers are fucking shitty teammates who don't contribute shit 99% of the time.
In singleplayer because they're fucking annoying enemies that hit really fucking hard and are a bitch to locate.
>>
>>345076008
They're hated in real life, too.
>>
>>345076779
I very much prefer 1.6 over CS:GO any day, but calling a casual shooter is pretty stupid when it has the biggest Pro scene of any FPS.

In CS, sniping is harder as the maps are small, and you have to often engage in close combat situations- which takes a lot of skill to master with the awp.
>>
>>345076008
Fighting snipers is only fun if you're also a sniper. Otherwise it just feels like an inconvenience.
>>
>>345077073
lol if only you knew how fucking idiotic you are
>>
>>345077201
You're describing your teammates, not snipers in general.

Find some better teammates to play with.
>>
Most of them never push forward on the objective, even when the frontline moves.
>>
File: SMEG.jpg (40 KB, 600x491) Image search: [Google]
SMEG.jpg
40 KB, 600x491
The sniper fantasy does not translate well to competitive vidya. It is inherently about lack of interaction, the sniper player is safe from reprisal, or else it does not feel like sniping. To further emphasize this, sniping typically results in one-shot kills, making it even more un-interactive, as the person fired upon is dead and cannot possibly return fire. But then this makes it skill-based, the player must typically aim well to deliver these instant kills, but the players most drawn to it are those unable or uninterested in being in the thick of actual combat, as in, people not very good at this sort of game. Being un-interactive helps them feel successful, as they can compare their time alive to time dead and find that sniping allows them to stay alive longer. However, they are still not good players, and so they accomplish very little with their extended life-spans. On the other side of the coin, it provides very skilled players with a clear way to brow-beat anyone not as good at the game as they.

There is no good way to implement sniping in a competitive video game. It's either gimped to the point of being nearly unplayable, or it is so strong that it defines what is viable. It also encourages and teaches bad play patterns and habits, making the game less enjoyable for anyone not engaging in it.
>>
>>345077298
>EPIC MEMES BRO
Lurk more newfag
>>
>>345076008

I wouldn't say I hate them, just that if you aren't going into a game with a full team of people, then you inevitably get 2 or 3 people who want to be the fucking hero from 50 miles back. You'll be lucky if even 1 of them is competent and anyone who isn't will just be dead weight for the team as everyone else tries to push an objective / fight while outnumbered (assuming of course the other team isn't suffering the same problem). Since I have never seen a game where someone has responded well to "we have too many snipers someone switch up", it's also a nightmare to get them to work as part of the team because all they want is muh headshots

If you have a full team and a guy who is your dedicated sniper, then it's absolutely fine - you know they'll do a good job of supporting the team from a distance, and you can get them to help in a push if they're needed.
>>
>>345076008
>Playing against a sniper
Constant interruption to gameplay with a no warning death that could have only been prevented by memorizing the map beforehand and learning where not to go

>Playing with snipers on your team
Unless the game mode is first to x many kills, they will not contribute to holding or gaining positions. They will for the most part sit in some ass end of the map where they can't be seen and get 1-2 kills per minute. While it does help, it doesn't help nearly as much as having someone on a point to hold and secure territory.

>Playing as a sniper
Unless you are lucky enough to know a spot that isn't overused, you'll be getting by on margins and might have a fantastic K/D at the end of the match, your contribution was minimal and for me personally, my enjoyment was just as slim.
>>
File: 1467526889891s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1467526889891s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>345076779
>>
Soldiers hate snipers IRL as well, but for different reasons.
Mainly being a cunt that will shoot you in the head while you're eating or taking a shit for no good reason.
>>
>>345078242
>for no good reason.
Other than being there to you know, wage a war.
>>
>>345076779
This logic is so circular I got dizzy.
>>
File: ana.jpg (46 KB, 581x763) Image search: [Google]
ana.jpg
46 KB, 581x763
>uh, I don't think we need a widow
>>
>>345078341
lol
>>
File: 1260973007580.jpg (31 KB, 277x274) Image search: [Google]
1260973007580.jpg
31 KB, 277x274
>tfw gold nova 3 in cs:go but hate using snipers so probably stuck there forever
>>
>>345076008
because 99% of them are shit
and the 1% is on the enemy team
>>
Console players hate them because they're either unusable or extreme aim assist bullet magnetism nightmares with very little inbetween.
>>
File: class_sniperred.png (38 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
class_sniperred.png
38 KB, 256x256
The vanilla version of him at least was the most tolerable sniper I've seen in a game. Specifically since there was a class designed to hunt him and because he couldn't quick scope.
>>
>>345078341
Escalation of force, m8. You're not allowed to shoot an enemy combatant unless they currently pose a direct threat, which some dude on his lunch break does not.

There's a quaint little book called the Geneva Convention if you wanna learn more.
>>
>>345078964
>terrorists
>Geneva conventions
>>
File: PKM_Machine_Gun_Iraq.jpg (540 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
PKM_Machine_Gun_Iraq.jpg
540 KB, 1800x1200
>>345076008
suck my dick faggots
>implying I'll stop firing even after you're dead
>>
>>345079057
>soldiers
>terrorists

The Geneva Convention applies doubly for terrorists, since they're not even a regulated military and thus considered civilians.
>>
>>345078964
If you can't commit atrocities then it's not a war worth fighting.
You think Zeon cared when they dropped that colony?
>>
>>345076008
I don't hate the role. I hate the people playing the role. It's the same in every game where the shitter picks it, because they don't want to die. So you have half your team acting dumber than a bot sitting in a corner waiting minutes for a kill. A good example is in Red Orchestra/Rising Storm it's frustrating when it's a limited role that plays a crucial part in the match. Doesn't matter since Tripwire fucked both of them up by allowing assault to be that miniature version of marksman.
>>
>>345076008
only hate bad snipers, good ones I respect
>>
>>345079138

Nay.

By violating every tenet of international law regarding treatment of prisoners, terrorist groups forfeit any entitlement to protection under the Geneva Conventions.

If international bodies did not recognize the Taliban as Afghanistan's legitimate government, then their militias could not be considered Afghanistan's regular armed forces any more than Hezbollah can be considered the army of Lebanon. Thus, Taliban fighters were not eligible for automatic Third Geneva Convention coverage. The United States is simply not obligated to extend Third Geneva Convention protections to every militia or organization that has pretensions to power.
>>
They rarely play the objective and the vast majority of them are fucking garbage anyway so they're not even helping their team by getting kills.

They don't even realise that they don't have to be on the objective to be playing it, they can be providing support for the ones who are, yet they don't even do that either.
>>
File: 1468339963453.png (57 KB, 254x266) Image search: [Google]
1468339963453.png
57 KB, 254x266
>>345076008
>Games where you "charge" your sniper rifle that magically deal more dmg than normal

Unless it's somekind of energy weapon this is bullshit.
Give them sniper rifles with different caliber that deal more or less dmg, faster or slower fire speed, less or more ammo.
>>
>>345079654
I agree that it doesn't make much sense but it's to discourage quickscope faggotry, which is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
>>
>>345076008
I would prefer that you take out that MG that has 6 people pinned down or the officer calling in arty so that we can take this stupid point. Lets for for kills instead.
>>
File: 1468467836031.jpg (31 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
1468467836031.jpg
31 KB, 560x315
>>345076779
this desu
having a good sniper in a game like Arma or PR is extremely useful for the entire team
>>
>>345079654
Depending on the game, balance sometimes takes priority over realism.
>>
>be elder god tier sniper in BC2, flickshotting enemies up close and pinpoint headhotting others all across the map
>can't snipe for fuck in any other game
I don't get it
Is it the projectile/bulletdrop nature
>>
>>345079870
BC2's hitboxes were the size of a fucking truck.

Not to mention the damage model was really weird, hence sniping enemies across the map with a shotgun.
>>
>>345077901
You could create a new genre which pits an offensive party against a defensive party, one of which consists of snipers and one of a larger group of people with mid-range weapons.
Possible scenarios are:
> one-sided CTF with snipers defending
> capture point: group defends it while snipers spawn in random location far away and must reach the point; level design has a good balance between street fighting and open areas
> capture point: snipers defend point, group has to try and flank
>>
Purpose of a sniper is to take out key targets. Medics, engineers, high DPS targets in that order of priority. Most people treat it like wack-a-mole or some shit, going after every target that crosses their FOV. They also tend to stay in one place until they die. Sniper need to be mobile. Changing position ever few shots to regain the element of surprise and avoid getting snuck up on by an angry former target.
>>
>>345076008
>Camping in a spot far from spawn.
>one shot kill to the anything.
>sends you back to spawn.
>this repeats itself over and over again and its frustrating.
Not to mention people in GTA online
>>
>>345076135
But the same can be said for any role. The vast majority of players are shit.
>>
They never get on the objective
>>
>>345080067
The shotgun sniping part was because of slugs having no bullet drop, and the middle one always had 100% accuracy, so sniping with it was ez
>>
>LMG
>its either useless piece of shit or an AR that can hold more ammo
>>
for me its because it changes the game in a shitty way. maps designed bigger and just an overall annoying playstyle. take quake to quake 2. close quarters combat verses camping and pot shots every corner. its just fuckin annoying, especially in duels, and the only counter is guess what, another fucking sniper. absolutely every game with snipers or comparable weapons would be much better without them
>>
Because most of the time it's either some insanely good autist that literally only plays sniper or it's a total shitter that is dead weight to the team.

It's game dependent but some maps (custom or not) can be stupidly unbalanced to favor snipers with certain spots and advantage points. Even more so if most of the classes can't do shit to counter one. So it forces you into avoiding a large portion of the map or resort to counter-sniping, which is annoying if you're a bad sniper.
>>
>>345080252
Not really since even bad players can be at least somewhat useful with most other weapons.

Some noob camping with an lmg or running around with an smg will be better than a bad sniper because low rate of fire.
>>
>>345080603
I loved the lmgs in BF3.
>>
>>345080284
Getting on the objective isn't always the best thing for a sniper to do and a lot of the time is the worst place for them to be, they're meant to be behind the frontlines.
>>
>>345076008
I like playing snipers in single player FPS
snipers in multiplayer are turbocancer though
>>
>>345080603
That's why you use GPMG's son.
>>
>>345076135
10 or 15 years ago this wasn't the primary complaint. The issue was that players who got sniped would often feel cheated because snipers were often far removed from retaliation unless you had your own sniper. People were also just better in general at aiming back then since gaming was less popular.
>>
>>345081918
>People were also just better in general at aiming back then since gaming was less popular.
Funny how that's the case when we didn't have 90000000 dpi mice back then.
>>
Snipers have little counterplay besides getting close, whatever option you can use like grenades snipers can use as well in most games. You are always at a disadvantage until you get within a certain range, then you have an immense advantage. It's just boring to play against.
>>
Just make sniper kit exclusive to one player like Project Reality did
>>
>>345082179
Battlefield tried to rectify that with suppression but it was no where near heavy enough, you could still easily snipe while suppressed. What's even more retarded is faggots complained and suppression got toned down even further.
>>
>>345082390
Supression is a dogshit mechanic because it's primary use is completely contrary to what it should be used for. The idea is for snipers and lmg's, or anyone placing shots at range, to keep someone down by lowering their accuracy forcing them to move. In reality supression happens the most in 1v1 gunfights out of cover, at close range, which gives an advantage to whoever shot first and punishes making aimed shots at close to medium range, which only encourages lol AR full auto spam.
>>
>>345076008
Because it's maximum reward for minimal risk and no one has fun playing against a sniper because regardless of game mechanics it just boils down to "am i sort of near to this guy to get him? if not forget it".
>>
>>345082008
High DPI quickly becomes unhelpful after a pretty early point unless you have a setup with like three monitors. Even 800 DPI was more than enough for a 1024x1024 resolution. If you have a mouse with 10k DPI it's just because big numbers sell well.
>>
>>345082579
That could easily be fixed by only applying the mechanic after the bullet travels a certain distance and only applying them to LMGs and snipers.
>>
>>345082806
>tfw g502 with 12000dpi
Maybe I'll eventually get a 16k screen or something
>>
File: 0DeeurK.png (1 MB, 1906x1069) Image search: [Google]
0DeeurK.png
1 MB, 1906x1069
>>345080252
>>345076135
>>345076008

The thing is people don't like dying to things they didn't know they were fighting.

That's why the stigma of snipers in games is that they're pussies because they hide from the conflict of battle.
>>
File: 1465227814739.jpg (30 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
1465227814739.jpg
30 KB, 300x231
the most important question is
>why even have fucking snipers in shooter games

in real life modern army. each infantry squad has a MARKSMAN. MARKSMAN is like sniper, but is with his squad and moves around with the squad. he is the middle ground between a sniper and an infantryman.

the role of MARKSMAN, could be present in our modern shooters, but people don't just know how tactics work. lot of shooter games just spawn people in random locations, so there is even no incentive to do anything tactical since an enemy could just spawn behind you.

in real life, tactics are very careful. every move, every shot, every breath is done just to keep everyone alive. everything else comes second. So, people move only from cover to cover. If people want to move, they will prefer the most safe method possible.

if one can crawl to the next cover so that enemy can't see, definately crawl. but if there is open ground between two covers and enemy sees that ground, one won't crawl, because you are just so slow that there is nothing difficult to aim and shoot you. for the situation, squad starts firing franktically and one dude dashes over that open ground into next cover.

so yea, modern games don't facilitate tactical gameplay. firstly, normie people just don't know proper tactics, secondly there is no reason to be careful - you will respawn 2 seconds after being killed
>>
>>345082978
>melees enemy
>hear loud gunshot
>instakilled by some cunt I can't reach without going out of my way to kill him
Sniping doesn't translate well into games because of how fucking lame it is to die to it. Doing it however can be fun if you're at least somewhat decent. But the fun is onesided.
>>
File: 1466933907229.gif (2 MB, 320x227) Image search: [Google]
1466933907229.gif
2 MB, 320x227
>>345078047
>>>/b/
>>
>>345076008
Its the most cowardly class.
>>
>>345076008
special snowflakes
>>
>>345077073
>>345078047
Fuck off.
>>
File: 1461797851582.png (284 KB, 586x634) Image search: [Google]
1461797851582.png
284 KB, 586x634
because they attract the most immature retarded autistic worthless unskilled edgy passive aggressive self entitled pile of shitters in the entire playerbase

now go fuck yourself
>>
File: hurt feelings.jpg (121 KB, 849x1099) Image search: [Google]
hurt feelings.jpg
121 KB, 849x1099
>>345085458
This thread sure attracted the most immature retarded autistic worthless unskilled edgy passive aggressive self entitled pile of you in the entire vidya

Hahaha
>>
File: nothing personnel kid.jpg (629 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nothing personnel kid.jpg
629 KB, 1920x1080
>>345085458
psh ... nothing personnel kidd ... *snipes u from behind*
>>
>>345076008
Because true sniping* is usually not viable and when it is, it's usually the best class in the game.

*By true sniping I don't mean picking the sniper rifle and running into the battle field, I mean planting yourself in a nest or a hard to see area and picking off targets.
>>
restricts your movement and there's no way of fighting back if you make the mistake of leaving cover, just some guy sitting a mile away and moving the crosshairs over you and clicking once and you're dead
it's like some god of anti-fun just randomly deciding that you've had enough and flinging you away from the arena while being otherwise passive
>>
File: 33e7ad35.jpg (2 MB, 1142x1728) Image search: [Google]
33e7ad35.jpg
2 MB, 1142x1728
>>
>>345076008
How do I git gud at playing a sniper in Overwatch?
>>
File: 1447331019428.jpg (85 KB, 565x1000) Image search: [Google]
1447331019428.jpg
85 KB, 565x1000
>>345086335
>>
>>345086457
If you're not already a competent sniper coming from another game, don't play Widowmaker. Don't play Hanzo because he's rubbish. I also don't recommend Ana because she can't headshot and you need to build your skill at landing headshots to be an effective sniper (it's the difference between 120 damage and 300 damage when you do transition to WM). Start with Mcree, ignore his alt-fire except against nearby tanks, and aim only for the head for his primary fire. Accuracy is most important, so stay at mid-range and move further back as you get more comfortable. Speed comes with familiarity.

Go to Aimbooster and play the sniping, twitch, doubleshot, and speed modes whenever you can. I play them between matches to keep me focused. The autobalance modes are also great.

You'll likely want a low sensitivity, but make sure it's high enough that you can comfortably do a 360 spin by moving your arm in a wide arc. Fine-tune your aim by moving to the side and guiding the crosshair into the target's head. Use your arm for wide movements and your wrist for smaller adjustments.

Use a tiny, brightly-lit crosshair that doesn't blend into the background (bright purple or green or something). The dot is ideal; it's going to feel terrible for a while because it's such a tiny crosshair, but it'll help you out tons in the long run.

Other than that, keep good back and arm posture and practice lots. Not 50 hours lots, but 800 hours lots, 2,000 hours lots, 10,000 hours lots. Transition into Widow whenever you feel confident in your ability to land headshots on key targets.

Also... don't be a fag and stay in the far back. You'll improve a lot more by staying in mid-range and under pressure.
>>
File: 1465129540854.jpg (64 KB, 760x900) Image search: [Google]
1465129540854.jpg
64 KB, 760x900
>>345086457
by playing Xonotic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSQ-XwNFciQ
>>
>>345083964
This guy knows. Some games are around that promote this style of play, ArmA/OFP series, Squad/Project Reality and to a lesser extent Red Orchestra and Insurgency spring to mind.
>>
File: pain.gif (2 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
pain.gif
2 MB, 400x224
>>345076008
Sniping is hard, I get it, but good snipers make my blood boil.

"Oh, you brought a shotgun? Sacrificing your ability to do any damage at all at medium distances and fighting to ensure you found me within your effective range? Well, too bad, this rifle is just as fast up close as your shotgun."
>>
File: 1429975161771.jpg (152 KB, 791x1024) Image search: [Google]
1429975161771.jpg
152 KB, 791x1024
>>345085458
just how assblasted are you
>>
Name one FPS multiplayer game when taking out snipers don't immensely add to the fun.
>>
>>345088692
Guy who wrote this
>>345088590
Finding a scope-blind sniper IS almost as satisfying as being quick-scoped is frustrating.
>>
>>345076008
Because how the fuck can they hit such a tiny moving target reliably when I can't even get headshots for shit?
>>
File: 1458632222061.png (66 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1458632222061.png
66 KB, 1000x1000
>>345088652
Fuck you, any one with cold hands and empty pockets is a moron, and hands in your pockets looks more professional than hands in your armpits, that rule is such bullshit.
>>
if its pure hitscan it's shit.

if it is a simulator and actually factors in bullet drop then im fine with it.
>>
File: 1467856719658.jpg (148 KB, 1330x1540) Image search: [Google]
1467856719658.jpg
148 KB, 1330x1540
>>345088394
sniping in Project Reality is fucking great
mostly because you have to pick targets instead of just shooting everybody
also spotting shit for the rest of the team
>>
>>345080252

shit players in other roles can at least draw fire or drop ammo/hp
>>
>>345076008
>>345076135
People have always despised snipers in war
>>
Because dying from really far away is more infuriating than dying from kinda far away.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.