[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you like your horror games v? First person? Third Person?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: HowDoYouLikeYourHorror.jpg (244 KB, 1501x1080) Image search: [Google]
HowDoYouLikeYourHorror.jpg
244 KB, 1501x1080
How do you like your horror games v?

First person?
Third Person?
Over the shoulder?

Asking cuz my dream would be to make one, wondering what y'alld prefer.
>>
>v
Off yourself.
>>
>>344939238
Any of those as long as it's good.
Though first person definitely adds more horror since its limited.
>>
First person > third person > over the shoulder
>>
3rd Person < 1st < OTS

I don't mind tank controls.
>>
RTS horror game only
>>
perspective does not matter
only gameplay and atmosphere matter
>>
1st Person is the absolute worst. It just makes the game feel cheap and the only time it's ever worked okay was in the first 5 hours of Alien. Capcom should be on trial for what they've done to RE7.
>>
i like my horror games at 30fps for immersion
>>
Name a first person horror game that can compare to SH2/3, Siren and PZ. Hell even Dead Space.

You literally can't.
>>
>>344941198
condemned
>>
>>344941337
So fucking good
>>
>>344941337
Fuck, you're right. But that was a one-off nearly a decade ago, well before this surge in popularity. We haven't gotten anything like it since.
>>
>>344941198
I can only really think of games with a first person perspective where i've been kinda spooked(like Thief, F.E.A.R.), but not really dedicated horror games. They're always so gimmicky and shallow.
>>
>>344939238
over the shoulder for action horror. 3rd person for the spooky camera angles.
>>
3rd person. Camera angles can make or break the atmosphere.
>>
>>344939238
Over the shoulder is third person though.
>>
>>344941198
Fatal Frame 2 on Xbox
>>
>>344939238
>v
>cuz
>y'alld
kys yourself
>>
>>344941198
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>>
>>344939238
here you go op, i'll help ya out.

www.strawpoll.me/10742677
www.strawpoll.me/10742677
>>
>>344942067
Having a first person mode in a game where you are constantly switching between perspectives is stupid.
>>
>>344941778
This. The weird camera angles when entering the fucked up alleyway at the beginning of Silent Hill made that scene more scarier than it ever could've been in 1st person.
>>
>>344941587
part of what makes condemned so good is how rare it is. a horror game that manages to be terrifying with good combat? i think i just saw a pig fly too.
>>
>>344941925

True. But games like silent hill and resident evil are more 3rd person since they like to stick the camera in the corner of a room to give it a more dramatic look
>>
https://youtu.be/0e3qYoR6m8o

And still no game like the RE4 hookman demo, which combined dynamic camera angles with over the shoulder.
>>
Honestly it's not a big deal to me. All have their good and bad aspects.

First person mode can lead to a much more immersive experience and help the player feel like what's happening in the game is happening to them. On the other hand it's very hard to direct player viewing which means you could easily look an entirely different direction than the scare you set up. Also, jump scares feel a bit more cheap when it's right up in your face like that.

Third person has the benefit of the player seeing everything in their environment and seeing exactly what the character is going through, reacting to, or getting attacked by. In this way environmental atmosphere or scares work much better and a player can feel somewhat less in direct control which works well too. Problem is you have to then worry about the camera and lighting. Since players can't just look straight at something you have to work harder to form a proper environmental space.

Over the shoulder is great for certain gameplay types and being able to see the character's reactions much closer. This has worked fantastically in RE4 and DS2 where you can see your enemies up close and combat is smooth as hell. Problem then is making sure the enemies look good since you focus on them so closely and, again, making it where players focus on the right thing.

Generally I prefer over the shoulder if its Action Horror and third person if its Survival Horror. First person is great for making things feel more close and immersive, but then that can often times turn into moments where scares feel cheap or ineffective because you were looking at some wall textures when a scare happened.
>>
File: 1429360389622.jpg (84 KB, 453x581) Image search: [Google]
1429360389622.jpg
84 KB, 453x581
>>344942204
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is more comfy than horror.
Sure it has its moments, but calling it horror is retarded.
If you can classify S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as a horror game then you might as well treat Dark Souls 1 as one.
>>
>>344939238
Any can be good as long as it's well executed. RE4 is my favorite game ever, but I've played a ton of boring 3rd person shooters too. I theorize that it's probably easier to handle a fps right.
>>
File: Homefront-The-revolution-beta.jpg (296 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Homefront-The-revolution-beta.jpg
296 KB, 1280x720
>>344941198
>>
Any perspective can work for a horror game, but that being said only first person is actually scary. The only people that will disagree with me are Silent Hill and Resident Evil fangays.
>>
>>344943015
Do you only find found footage films scary as well?
>>
>>344943339
Movies are not scary at all besides jump scares but do those really count?

Don't misinterpret me either, I still enjoy horror regardless.
>>
>>344939238
1st person is spookiest
then over the shoulder
3rd person isn't at all
>>
File: 1400373874615.png (51 KB, 252x403) Image search: [Google]
1400373874615.png
51 KB, 252x403
>>344943947
Imagine being this wrong.
>>
>1st person
jump scares only
>OTS
meme shooter
>>
Just replayed RE5
That mine shaft was way scarier than I remember.
>>
>>344939238
The only horror games I got into were Silent Hills. I like the third person 'semi-fixed' camera because, just like a director in a movie, it shows you what you need to see and hides what you mustn't.

In first and third person horror game, I tend to overlook most details of the world and it simply ends up being dull after a while.

>inb4 MUH IMMERSION >>>:(
>>
>>344941198
Penumbra wasn't bad
>>
>>344942735
Confirmed for complete mod player
>>
>>344941198
alien isolation
>>
>>344945237
Pay attention to your surroundings then.
>>
>over the shoulder a separate category from 3rd person
>>
>>344944603
My shaft is pretty scary too
>>
Over the shoulder is third person.
>>
>>344945854
Penumbra wasn't great either

>>344946163
For the first 5 hours or so. It's fucking great until you get the flamethrower. That game really overstayed its welcome.
>>
File: 936full-max-payne-cover.jpg (104 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
936full-max-payne-cover.jpg
104 KB, 640x908
>>344942570
resident evil and silent hill are aweful examples desu senpai.. theyre more like locked cameras
here's a real 3rd person camera
>>
>>344939238
who cares what we want. what do YOU want?

otherwise might as well not make a game.
>>
>>344946487

>Penumbra wasn't great either

Black Plague was one of the best horror games I've played. Too bad they dicked the dog with Requiem.
>>
>>344946290
I still promote the idea that first person perspective is, obviously, as what the character sees; second person person perspective is a camera that attached to the player, but not seen through their eyes; and lastly third person perspective being a camera detached from the player completely.
>>
>>344947051
is prenumbra worth it? I enjoyed the atmosphere and play style of amnesia, but hated the setting and it wasn't that scary.
>>
File: killurself.png (200 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
killurself.png
200 KB, 1000x1000
>>344946289
>The game doesn't suck. You're just not playing it right.
>>
>>344947425
Black Plague is a must play
>>
>>344947425
Definitely worth it. Be sure to play Overture before Black Plague, though.
>>
File: Penumbra2-win-cover[1].jpg (68 KB, 256x363) Image search: [Google]
Penumbra2-win-cover[1].jpg
68 KB, 256x363
>>344947425

I actually skipped over the first one, Overture. Black Plague had a great atmosphere, a great supporting character, and I think it's scarier or atleast more tense than Amnesia. You can get the whole series for like 2 bucks on Steam when it's on sale.
>>
>>344947757
>>344947796
whats the difference? I have money to blow so I could get both if I really should
>>
>>344947946
how about storywise? tell me its better than
>you wake up in a dark room
>>
Without screamers.
>>
>>344939238

All three, randomly switching without you being able to control it.
>>
An interesting idea but I think it depends a lot on the strengths of the developer.

First person obviously plays well on immersion but I feel like a lot of developers just use it as a cheap and easy way to drop jumpscares on the player.

I think third person gives more of an artistic feel. Like it worked really well in Silent Hill because it allows the player to see more of the world and specifically the way creatures and shit interact with the player.

OTS seems like the perfect perspective to show the little imperfections in a game and that really hurts immersion. Plus side is that like 3rd person it shows the way the world interacts with the player but it can be more visceral.

they all give a very different feel to the game but none of them are particularly bad.

Really though especially for horror games VR is going to drastically change the experience.
>>
The entire Resident Evil series is shit because of the unplayable, clunky camera. Why people can't understand this is beyond me.
>>
>>344948040
Black Plague is a direct sequel to Overture. You can skip it but I thought the slow buildup of Overture made Black Plague better.

Overture is also really short.
>>
>>344948154

I thought it was really interesting, and there's dialogue as well
>>
>>344948659

The camera is one of the things that made RE great. They allowed the use of pre-rendered backgrounds, which is essential to the atmosphere. Alone in the Dark did the same thing.
>>
>>344948659

Easy, they aren't unplayable. You wanna see what happens when you have traditional analog inputs on fixed camera angles? Play a DMC game and see how camera shifts treat you.
>>
>>344939238
I'd prefer if you didn't type like a retarded 10 year old
>>
>>344948309
This
>>
>>344946036
KEK
>>
>>344939238

>v
>cuz
>y'alld

Anon, please. How old are you?

I like first person the most as it's throw you into the game. The only thing i hate from those kind of games is screamers since they just wreck your ears instead of spooking your shit
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.