[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gentleman, how do we save the Open World genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1466733347976.jpg (8 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
1466733347976.jpg
8 KB, 252x244
Gentleman, how do we save the Open World genre?
>>
>>344931074
Don't let Ubisoft make another one.
>>
You can't simply because its a lose lose situation.

It's either survival craft bullshit, or its a walking simulator, or its triple A garbage that is only slightly above average that comparing it to other titles around it's time slot it looks like a masterpiece when it it's really nothing special whatsoever.

You cannot and will not have a decent open world video game from now on. There will always be a catch. Always.
>>
>>344931074
Go back. No bullshit "customization" aka pay us to make your own game, more lore, more backstory, more unique locations, more unique characters, more memorable experiences
>>
>>344931074
Open world is a genre?
>>
realistic destructible environments
>>
>>344931074
actually have things happening and to do.Indoor levels and have traversing be constantly fun/changing in terms of options.
>>
Not leaving it empty as fuck would be a good start. Fill it with interesting and unique locations, characters, quests and items. Make it fun to explore.
>>
Open world isn't a genre you stupid cunt
>>
Don't even try Open World if you are not going to put effort into your writing

Also, if you are going to do OW then try to reduce pathing to a minimum
>>
Only use it for GTA clones and RPGs.

Stop using it for all action adventure or shooter games.
>>
>>344931074
It's flawed to the core. An open world game doesn't need to be exclusively a large open space, but that defines too many of these games. A memorable world needs EXTREME time and effort invested into it, and this drives up production costs significantly.
>>
Xenoblade X already did it.

Make easy and fast and convenient fast travel. Nothing is worse than when you just want to get the next plot point, but have to spend 15 minutes walking to get there, then when you get there it's night time and the mission can only be accepted during the day.

If you WANT to explore the overworld, you can, if you DON'T then just fast travel nearby. No more games that force you to fulfill multiple conditions to fast travel and have 5 minutes of loading, that shit is unacceptable nowadays.
>>
Just stop making huge overworlds that are way larger than they need to be, and have 5 minutes of empty fields with nothing in them but a couple of randomly generated mushrooms or enemies.

>HURRR YOU NEED TO SEE REAL LIFE, REAL LIFE IS LOTS OF EMPTY FIELDS!

Every person who says this as a defense needs to be castrated as well
>>
>>344933589
>Fast travel
90% chance that you failed to design the world if you need this
>>
>>344934132

I like the design of xenoblade x's world, I just am not always in the mood to do it. Sometimes I just want to turn off my brain and run around collecting resources, sometimes I'm in the mood for boss battles or plot so I don't WANT to run around/explore at the moment.

Forcing a player to do one or the other is massively pace breaking, even if neither one is necessarily bad
>>
>>344934132
>>344934539

I want to praise Runescape for doing "fast travel" right, in the sense that you CAN move from one town to the other provided that you have the proper magic level required to teleport to said place

You have Balloon transportation systems, Minecart transportation systems, Charter ships, Bandwagons, etc

Its less jarring
>>
>>344933164
But itens becomes irrelevant at certain point.
And sooner or later it will become repetitive.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.