[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about Dead Space.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 39
File: Dead spess.jpg (145 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dead spess.jpg
145 KB, 1920x1080
Let's talk about Dead Space.
>>
Really lads?

Favorite game? No thoughts? no nostalgia?

nothing?
>>
>>344920315
2 was my introduction to to the series and 3 is my favorite. Yes I've played all 3. Fight me.
>>
>>344920315
I love this game. It took two playthroughs but the second go around I came to appreciate it much more. It's not as scary as 1 I'll, but it's way more tense and I love the PTSD aspect of it.

Let's not talk about 3 tho, ever.
>>
>>344920315
i greatly enjoyed the first and second, third one was pretty shit imo but i still played it and enjoyed some of it

that fucking regenerating dude
>>
File: 1465597396736.jpg (134 KB, 1277x718) Image search: [Google]
1465597396736.jpg
134 KB, 1277x718
>>344921083
>3 is my favorite

you need to be put down
>>
I remember back then, I was so excited about the third game. Holy shit I was wrong.
>>
>>344920315
I played all 3 Dead Space games but never finished the first.

2 was the best I think, 3 wasn't THAT bad in my opinion but it was a piss weak Dead Space game since it completely did away with any semblance of horror.

More games need a dedicated curb stomp button.
>>
>>344920315
My favorite franchise, I even liked 3. Only thing that pissed me off was the ending. If Issac and Carter died after the moon I would have been satisfied. The ending dlc was an insult and it'll never be repaired.
>>
File: 1397442418373.jpg (164 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
1397442418373.jpg
164 KB, 1200x674
>resident evil 6 having more support
>finally see more dead space 3 support too
Nice
>>
>>344921915
Go back and finish the first, DS2 is probably my favorite, but it's constantly neck and neck with the first.
>>
3 doesn't exist and I refuse to believe it does.
>>
>>344922574
It was fucking retarded when Carter passed the moon thingy to Elton John at the end out of some dumb sense of morality though. What does it matter if Ellie dies? If you give him what he needs you're all dead anyway along with billions of others.
>>
>>344922785
Honestly can barely remember what actually goes on in the dlc except the actual end of it when they get back to earth. Like fuck that was beyond dumb.
>>
I really liked the crafting system in DS3, I wish more games let you assemble weaponry to your personal liking. But overall third one was not nearly as immersive as the first or second game, which the first one being my favourite.
>>
>>344923054
I was actually talking about the ending of the original game.

But yeah, the DLC was really stupid too.
>>
DS1 is the best one and the most loyal to the survival-horror genre
DS2 is a great action-horror game
DS3 is a mediocre action-horror game

Don't even bother to reply if you disagree, because your shitty opinion is wrong.
>>
>>344923054
>>344923273
I liked it but not as an ending to a series, the vanilla ending would be better for that. I'm sure we'll get a fourth one though.
>>
How would you guys fix DS3 to at least make it acceptable? What would you remove? Add?

I would remove:
-the love triangle drama
-the universal ammo
-the whole alien language doors
-crouching/rolling

Add:
-some more cool melee weapons
-better armors
-more big bosses
-more creepy spots like the underground armory on the planet
>>
2 > 1
There's no such game as Dead Space 3.
1 may be the scariest but gameplay-wise it feels really clunky and primitive after a second one.
>>
Necromorph outta fucking nowhere
>>
File: 99999.jpg (250 KB, 666x897) Image search: [Google]
99999.jpg
250 KB, 666x897
Best gun comin thru
>>
>>344924015
BANG
>>
File: Seeker_rifle.jpg (61 KB, 370x600) Image search: [Google]
Seeker_rifle.jpg
61 KB, 370x600
>>344924015
Fun one, but seeker rifle>>344924015
is my personal favorite.
>>
>>344924240
>not completing all games with plasma cutter only
I can't even bring myself to use the other weapons.
>>
>>344921915
I would like to enjoy 3 a lot more but I have no one to play co op with.

Missed half a game's worth of content because of that.
>>
>>344924331
Of course I have, doesn't mean I haven't played through multiple times to use them all.
>>
>>344924331
Every game I go plasma only for my first play through. After I experiment and play around.

Seeker rifle is my favourite after the plasma of course.
>>
Played the first one and it was basically System Shock 2 remake and I liked that
I heard the third one is shit how about the second one?
>>
>>344925004
Second one is refined, plays super well. Takes more action stance over horror, but it keeps a tense feeling about.
>>
File: 1296505620554.png (54 KB, 560x1046) Image search: [Google]
1296505620554.png
54 KB, 560x1046
>>344925004
Some say it's better, some say DS1 is better. Either way it's extremely good.
>>
>>344920315
If you look at the first game in isolation from all the others, you can pretend that Isaac is actually mentally handicapped. He never speaks, only screams and grunts. He is permanently hunched. He has retard strength. The repair and maintenance operations he performs are so insanely hazardous that no sane person would agree to do them.
>>
Anyone know how well it can run with Hd 530?
>>
>>344920315
1 and 2 were great. Solid blend of action and horror, even if 2 leaned a bit more on the former. Multiplayer in 2 was just a distraction. I was hype for 3, but it disappointed me and I never finished it.

I would love to see EA let Visceral make Dead Space 4 or a similar but new IP, and refocus on what made Dead Space 1 and 2 so good over. 3 actually wasn't that awful. I was just fresh off the disappointment train when some of my other liked franchises tanked in quality, (Halo 4, Gears Judgement news, Mass Effect, etc.) so I just decided to peace out early.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to get the series back on track. I don't think it ever went past the point of no return.
>>
Dead space 3 was fun, I liked the crafting system. Shame it wasn't spooky at all.

DS2 is a masterpiece though
>>
Fun action games, but you're underage and/or a pleb if you think they're horror games.
>>
>>344926359
>you're either this or that if your think x
how to spot a vermin
>>
3 gets way too much flak.

It's an amazing space game, and has some of the best space environments in any game out there.

Sure, it isnt scary, but guess what?

None of the games are.

Once you figure out each necros weak spots, the game loses all semblance of horror, because you know Isaac can just murder the fuck out of anything that gets in his way.

I don't know why people complain that Isaac isnt afraid of monsters he's killed THOUSANDS of. Dead Space 2 is still the best the quintessential Dead Space game, but 3 is also very good in its own rights.

This is coming from someone who has consumed every piece of media in the franchise, including books and movies.
>>
Is Isaac the most life-fucked video game character?

I feel like he's space guts.
>>
>>344926571

Where do you think you are? 4chan may as well be renamed hyper-argumentative.net

Also, please, convince me that Dead Space is horror? They're action games with monster closets that STARTLE you, rather than genuinely make you afraid or vulnerable (it does manage that on very rare occasions though, such as the very very end of 2).
>>
>>344926619
>None of the games are
You need to be put down, so every mouthbreather who says this.
1 is a survival horror
>>
>>344926739

Hardly.

What's been so bad about Isaac's life?

His girlfriend commits suicide, and he has to survive a bunch of zombies? Then he finds a new brown QT, gets very momentarily cucked, but still wins her in the end.

Guts was getting raped as a small child.

there's really no comparison.
>>
>>344926619
You are completely right.
>>
>>344926872

>1 is survival horror.

No, that's just what it's marketed as.

In a survival horror, you need to conserve ammo and health items, forcing you to bypass certain encounters.

You can go through the entirety of the first game on impossible, using nothing but the plasma cutter, killing EVERYTHING along the way, and still have tons of ammo to spare.

The enemies are fucking LOOT PINATAS. That is not a survival horror. It's a spooky shooter.
>>
>>344927020
As a child Isaac's mom was brainwashed by Unitology, I think it's mentioned that his mom sold nearly everything to support the church, and he got religious tattoos on him at that time as well
>>
>>344926858
Not that anon but I think dead space is horror because of the settings and other shit (basically 1 and 2, not 3)
>1 is on a signaldead ship with everything broken down and torn apart
>you know something big and nasty ripped that shit apart but you have to go in and tangle with it to fix it
>jumpscares that instantly stop being frightening only for you to get fucked over once you're comfortable by the hunter
>auditory and visual spooks

Not to mention it's listed as survival horror, even if you don't agree.
>>
File: 1467378630701-tv.gif (32 KB, 402x347) Image search: [Google]
1467378630701-tv.gif
32 KB, 402x347
Bought 1 and 2 during this years steam sale. Installed 1, then got stuck at that first door right after you pick up the plasma cutter. I think it has something to do with vsync, but I cant be assed to troubleshoot it

I'll play it for sure in October. I was too much of a chicken shit to play it back when it came out
>>
>>344924331
>he hasnt done a forcegun only run
just wait till you max it out, the mining shotgun is GOAT.
>>
>>344920315

Dead Space would be a great series on PC if the developers weren't so fucking inept at handling frame rates and vertical synchronization.

>Dead Space 1
>fantastic game
>high frame rate breaks the mouse sensitivity with Vsync off
>insane input lag makes the game unplayable with Vsync on

>Dead Space 2
>another fantastic game
>game is inexplicably locked to 30 frames per second with Vsync on

I haven't played the third one, even though I got it from a $1 tier Humble bundle a while ago, because I don't want to install Origin.

But, at this rate, if I had to guess...

>Dead Space 3
>it's pretty fun
>turning on Vsync makes mustard gas
>>
>>344926872
nope
one had great atmosphere but showering you with ammo and health even on high difficulties means it is anything but survival
basically it was a great game that suffered from an identity crisis,it wanted to be a survival horror without much survival and limited horror elements
DS2 was the highlight of the series simply because it did not suffer from that identity crisis
yes the horror elements were dumped down but not THAT much
yes the action was more intense but not THAT much
basically the gameplay and atmosphere of DS2 fitted the pacing and resource administration of the game's premise better than 1
DS2 was a thriller action and it was perfect since that was the core of the game
and then 3 took a fuck huge shit on what both games had build upon
that said the first quarter of the game with the flotilla exploration was actually the shit
the other 3/4ths of the game buried it
>>
>>344926106
should run pretty good
>>
>>344923594
>-the whole alien language doors

>be playing with subtitles
>they just fucking tell you the password
>>
File: EngineeringSuit.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
EngineeringSuit.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>344927497
forcing v-sync/triple buffering through your driver settings cause no issues/input lag or whatsoever

time to post Dead Space 2 armors
>>
>>344927361

I understand where you're coming from but Isaac's ability to blow shit away is just far, far too good (especially when you're playing on PC) for it to be scary for me. For that reason I play them as action games.
>>
>>344927536
>one had great atmosphere but showering you with ammo and health even on high difficulties means it is anything but survival

What you're saying is that it's too easy, but difficulty doesn't define the genre. It's valid to describe the game as an easy survival horror.

>basically it was a great game that suffered from an identity crisis,it wanted to be a survival horror without much survival and limited horror elements

I don't know how you could say the horror elements were limited. Not enough jump scares for you?
>>
>>344923594

Have the entire game set in the flotilla, and tweak the weapon balance, and the game would be amazing.

I don't care about ancient aliens or any of that shit, I just want to scavenge around an abandoned space station while fighting zombies and building weapons out of scrap.

I liked the weapon crafting system, but it's terribly balanced with most weapons being useless, and semi auto military engines (the most boring configuration) being the strongest weapons
>>
File: SecuritySuit.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SecuritySuit.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>344927720

Any 3rd person shooters with horror elements /v/ ? Like Evil Within and Resident Evil 4-5-6
>>
>>344927497
DS3 was fine on PC. But the gameplay was worse and it wasn't scary. The only part I liked was
>intro/tutorial section
>come to a road of high-speed driverless transport vehicles
>"Press X to Stasis" prompt, typical learn the mechanic or be stuck/die situation
>Wait, how does freezing one car stop the entire roadway? Shitty game logic I guess.
>Fire stasis at the cars
>They freeze
>Massive car crash ensues because the rest of the cars aren't frozen
That was the only time they did anything neat, interesting or subversive.
>>
Ive only played the first one and it was very fluid and enjoyable to me
>>
>>344923107
The crafting was cool but having only 2 weapons instead of 4 made it pointless.
>>
>>344920315
I watched 2001 and Event Horizon in the span of a few days and it made me realize how much those movies influenced Dead Space.
>>
>>344924410

I'll play dead space 3 with you
>>
>>344927536
This guy gets it
>>
>>344927789
>Not enough jump scares for you?
the contrary
the game was too heavily focused on jump scares
literally the only point it could be described as a horror game were the hunter bits were it forced you into heart pounding situations
but at no point was it survival easy or not
it was a spooky shooting gallery
>>
>>344927720
>forcing v-sync/triple buffering through your driver settings cause no issues/input lag or whatsoever

This might work with an Nvidia GPU; I don't know because I don't own one.

What I do know is that AMD's Catalyst Control Center does not enable Vsync in Dead Space. It can force Vsync only in a small number of games (specifically, those using OpenGL, if I remember correctly). So, for Dead Space, I used D3DOverrider. There was still some input lag, as there always is with Vsync, but it wasn't nearly as bad as with the game's built-in Vsync option.
>>
>>344923443
I wouldn't even say DS3 is action-horror, it's just action. Do you remember the boss fight that was just a big drill?
>>
>>344927723
I guess it's down to opinion, I really wasn't scared in terms of "horror" but more of suspense and thriller after the first few necromorphs.

The thing with horrors definition is that it means great shock/disgust/fear from sources like primal fears, which dead space does do (fear of death, fear of bodily harm, loud noises etc) plus the disgust factor with reanimated corpses or giant air conditioning anuses.
>>
Best gun coming through.
>>
File: 1462414131418.jpg (168 KB, 1015x1527) Image search: [Google]
1462414131418.jpg
168 KB, 1015x1527
I got it with EA Access and have enjoyed it so far. But fuck that asteroid defense segment, took me four attempts. Hope 2/3 are back compat soon.
>>
>>344927182
>You can go through the entirety of the first game on impossible, using nothing but the plasma cutter.
This is true.
>killing EVERYTHING along the way
That's easier said than done.
>and still have tons of ammo to spare
Not entirely true, while the game will drop more ammo for a single gun than when you have two, it's still a small amount compared to lower difficulties. That said, you will have to manage your resources well for survive, like, every survival horror.
>The enemies are fucking LOOT PINATAS.
Nope, sorry.
>That is not a survival horror. It's a spooky shooter.
Whether you find it spooky or not, that's your problem. Dead Space 1 is still a Survival Horror.
Well, mate, I can't even.
>>
>>344928092

Fair enough.

But just for the sake of argument, what specifically is your definition of "horror"?

Something which scares you personally?
>>
File: VintageSuit.webm (3 MB, 1289x720) Image search: [Google]
VintageSuit.webm
3 MB, 1289x720
>>344928098
yeah i'm using GTX760.
>>
File: javvy.jpg (85 KB, 370x600) Image search: [Google]
javvy.jpg
85 KB, 370x600
>>344928181
Coming in for strong second
>>
>>344928181
True. It can kill the final boss in under 10 seconds.
>>
>>344928105

Dead Space 3 is a buddy cop game.

Ditch all pretenses of horror, and look at it as "Clarke and Carvers spooky space adventure" and the game is a million times more enjoyable
>>
I really love the dead space series, though i never completed DS1, i did complete DS2, and almost finished DS3. Did read up on the wikia and watch the movies though. I should get around to finishing DS3. I sort of wish that the return to Ishimura in DS2 didn't have any creatures in it. Would've been more scarier that way.
>>
File: AdvancedSuit.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
AdvancedSuit.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>344928337
Step aside, best suit is coming
>>
>>344928504
It's so satisfying watching Isaac's helmet pop on.
>>
>>344928181
>>344928349
Na Javvy definitely takes first. It has the best special alt fire. Kills most things with just that too.
>>
File: HackerSuit.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
HackerSuit.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>344928504
here's a bonus suit
>>
hey.
>>
File: 1300239382942.gif (866 KB, 150x112) Image search: [Google]
1300239382942.gif
866 KB, 150x112
>>344928582
This. That kind of shit gets my dick sapphire. Same as Iron Man.
>>
File: FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MARKER.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MARKER.webm
2 MB, 854x480
And a bonus webm
>>
>>344920315
Dead Space was a great Horror-to-Action game.
Dead Space 2 shit the bed a little but was still a solid action game.
>>
>>344928245
I beat the game on hard my first go and he's right game turns into RE4 by the second chapter with everything dropping tons of ammo and being far too easy. I used the plasma the whole game and had so much ammo for it and all the other guns I started selling it.
>>
>>344928313
horror is something that makes you dread every step you take with clever use of both physical and psychological elements that the human psyche is inherently afraid of
it is not easily defined that is for sure
but basically all the horror of DS1 was jump scares and creepy sound
you get over that after the first 2 levels and then the game becomes a shooter light horror with inconsistent pacing
simply put it,it shocks you for a bit at the beginning but quickly fails to keep its horror looming over you
>>
>>344928665
I hate that 3 ruined the regen enemies most of all. 1's was "I'm not in here with you, you're in here with m-OH JESUS" and 2 was "OH, GOOD, IT'S BACK"

3 threw so many of them at you I swear there was a part with 3 in the same room.
>>
>>344928607
i wouldn't use because because theres too many skin exposed, i wouldn't feel safe on that
>>
>>344927020
>Guts was getting raped as a small child.
i thought this was Griffith
>>
>>344928885
guts got sold off to big black men a few times when he was training with the guy he eventually runs through
>>
>>344928234
The asteroids in DS1? Turn your brightness up really high to see them coming sooner.

Use one cannon for smaller targets and use both for bigger ones that split into smaller pieces.
>>
>>344928607
How do you get this suit on the PC? Is it even possible?
>>
File: 1404721939931.png (581 KB, 888x899) Image search: [Google]
1404721939931.png
581 KB, 888x899
>>
Goddamn, why did they have to make it so actiony with DS2 and DS3? They could have just discovered another Derelict ship.
>>
>>344928823

I honestly liked that.

In the first game, you were being chased by an unstoppable terminator

In the Second game, it's scary, but you know you can kill it.

In the third game Isaac is casually amputating three sets of limbs while leaving them a quivering lump of flesh stuck in stasis on the floor.

Really shows some good character development.

I'm pretty sure at this point, Isaac's PTSD is so severe, he's essentially unshakeable.
>>
File: Letmedie.png (66 KB, 526x1220) Image search: [Google]
Letmedie.png
66 KB, 526x1220
>>344929102
Those threads were great before it came out.
>>
>beat Dead Space 3
>unlock "Dead Space Legendary Suit Set"
>expect the Elite Advanced Suit shown in early trailers
>hope for DS1 Tier 3 Engineering Rig
>just the shitty DS2 Engineering Suit and Security Suit for Carver
>>
>>344928098
Hey anon i found this. I'm about to jump to AMD but can you check v-sync with RadeonPro instead of catalyst control center
>>
>>344927925
Fuck, if you think Dead Space 1 was fluid, you're going to think that Dead Space 2 and 3 are quicksilver.

The first game is clunky as fuck compared to its sequels.
>>
>>344929298
3's ending with the moon boss might have been retarded but I'm convinced isaac was riding on a "FUCK IT, I CAN'T DIE" high
>>
File: 1404722675249.jpg (54 KB, 404x313) Image search: [Google]
1404722675249.jpg
54 KB, 404x313
>>344929298
>>
>>344927990
What? How? In DS1 and 2, you only really wanted two weapons anyways.
>>
File: 1408103939913.png (69 KB, 560x1432) Image search: [Google]
1408103939913.png
69 KB, 560x1432
>>
>>344929409
at the 1st optional mission you do you reach the part with the first light fuse puzzle
you know the one were you have to flip switches to balance the power distribution of systems
when you divert power to the door away from the lights and the room goes dark pay attention to the backround glow your helmet makes on surfaces
>>
>>344927918
How was the gameplay worse than DS2?

IMO, DS3 has the best core gameplay
>>
>>344929623
God Isaac's PTSD
>>
File: firrrrrrrrrrrrrd.png (12 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
firrrrrrrrrrrrrd.png
12 KB, 640x400
Best game ever. Plasma cutter is the best weapon ever. 10/10.
>>
>>344929538
I never played 3. What was the ending?
>>
>>344929813
They lose and Earth gets fucked
>>
File: 1299194949838.png (57 KB, 634x755) Image search: [Google]
1299194949838.png
57 KB, 634x755
>>344929729
These are fucking great.
>>
>>344929813
Isaac and Carver survive the THE MOONS ARE SQUIDS incident but one of the moonsquids is eating earth when they get back in the planet system
>>
>>344928801
RIG and upgrades aside, I can say that in impossible the game doesn't drop that much ammo, even in the second half. That said, while I agree that it isn't that hard once you know how to react in certain situations, it's still hard, and you can fuck it up easily if you don't make strategies.
>>
>>344930057
>but one of the moonsquids is eating earth
nope, there's like three
>>
File: 1408104001637.png (75 KB, 628x1919) Image search: [Google]
1408104001637.png
75 KB, 628x1919
>>344930039
>>
>DS3 main game actively replaces potential jumpscares with fucking cutscenes
>DS3 DLC has same DS2-type horror
I'm convinced that EA forbid Visceral from making the main game scary
>>
File: 1265738469269.jpg (43 KB, 198x195) Image search: [Google]
1265738469269.jpg
43 KB, 198x195
Anyone else get that glitch in DS2 where you get to the room on fire and you're supposed to kill the life support to deprive the fire of oxygen, but the power cells dont spawn in the room and you have to restart the fucking game? Played through the trilogy again a couple months ago and got that one, really ground my gears.
>>
>>344929813

Once a marker has converted all the local organisms to usable biomass, it starts a convergence event. All the necromorphs on a planet are shot into space by the marker, and converge to form an organic "Moon"
The ending of dead space 3 is that a necromorph moon was frozen thousands of years ago during convergence, and is awoken by unitoligsts at the end of the game
Isaac kills the moon by shooting markers at its glowing weak spots with telekenesis. The moon dies, and falls to the planet, seemingly killing Isaac and Carver

That's the Non-DLC ending
>>
File: dead_space_5.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
dead_space_5.jpg
275 KB, 1920x1200
Were the aliens in DS3 ever explained or were we supposed to blindly accept that there was an ancient alien race with it's own planet/technology/etc..THey kind of just glossed over that.
>>
>>344930241
>>344930057
>>344929870

So bad end? Is the game worth a play through for the story at least?
>>
>>344930517
we supposed to blindly accept that there was an ancient alien race with it's own planet/technology/etc
>>
>>344930517
Pretty sure it's the latter.

I fucking hated fighting them though, as soon as I put the frozen one together I was like "aw shit I'm gonna have to fight these now aren't I"
>>
>>344930532
The narrative of DS3 is its worst part, actually, but I do think that it has the best gameplay of the series, so it's definitely worth a playthrough or two.
>>
>>344930132
I still can't believe they spent time and money making that "puzzle"

There are better ways to foreshadow y'know...
>>
>>344930532

The DLC ending is actually great in my opinion, and has some fantastic horror elements.

The story isnt anything special, but I personally love the game for the environments.

If you enjoy space things, the first half of the game is a wet dream
>>
>>344930737
I thought it was fine.

I appreciated that DS3 had more than just one engineering mini-game
>>
>>344930764
But is it nearly as good as DeadSpace 2: Severed?
>>
DS1 and 2 were pretty good, gameplay and story wise. Though there was a bit of a problem making Convergence a real thing at the end of 2. DS3 made me physically ill and it's so boring once on the planet, which is 3/4ths of the game.
>>
>>344930892
About the same
>>
File: screen_2[1].jpg (80 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
screen_2[1].jpg
80 KB, 950x534
>>344930892

I'd argue that it is. It has some of the most unsettling and horrifying imagery in the game, especially when fighting the cult leader
>>
>>344930532
If you want to see isaac get kicked around for no reason and the most retarded decisions a crew of scientists could make in space, sure.
>>
>>344931003
Agreed. It got boring once on the planet, a shame i never got to complete the coop campaign with my friend because it got boring. I did almost complete the "singel"player campaign though. Perhaps i should just watch a lets play instead.
>>
>>344929762
More like full blown psychosis.
>>
>>344930517
Just accept it. Much like how Unitology has it's own counter military force that doesn't even uphold the laws of their own religion, the omnimorph is now MAGIC, squid moons, the marker is a transmitter rather than the already established signal blocker, the necro DNA is no longer required for people to transform, the creation necros don't exist anymore, convergence is a thing and doesn't require the makers, etc. I could go on.
>>
So dead space 4 is really never happening? What with the "oh we're done if it doesn't sell this many" bullshit?
>>
>>344931517
See, in DS1 and DS2 I was mildly confused about the life-cycle of mesomorphs (are all necros made from the bird-necro? how do you make a bird-necro? if there are none of these bird-necros is everyone safe?) but I can brush it aside for the most part

I couldn't tell you a goddamn thing about how any of it works in DS3 though.
It felt so needlessly complicated whereas the first two are slightly more complex zombie-outbreaks
>>
>>344931673
Best case scenario; we get the Mirrors Edge treatment and get a reboot of DS1 in 10 years
>>
These games were too scary for me so I just watched DSP play them instead. Say what you will but that laughing buffoon doesn't give a fuck about horror and just bumbled his way through. Man, I actually kinda wanna watch them again now.
>>
>>344920315
Dead Space 2 is better than 1 in every conceivable way.
>>
>>344931985
That's not even close. That's why Ds2 and 3 are such a mess. The marker does not create matter out of nothing, you need the original alien DNA found on the original marker. In fact, the marker creates nothing nor transmits anything. The marker is established as a signal negator in Ds1, hence the name Dead Space. The Hive mind controls the necromorphs, which was created in a lab using the DNA found on the original marker. When the man made marker was placed back, it negated its abilities and everything died, until Kendra moved it. The marker is not evil, it is a tool. There is no convergence ever, it cannot exist. Matter is not created out of nothing.
>>
File: 1360145884087.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1360145884087.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
LOL
>>
>>344932981

It isnt as spooky.

Isaac is slow and clunky in the first game, and it makes dodging necros much more tense.

In 2, he moves like a featherweight boxer, and string together infinite melee attacks. I prefer 2, but I still think 1 is a more tense and well paced game
>>
>>344926619
I'm still on the snow planet, do I ever get to go back to space?
>>
>>344931801
Not all are made from them. You can be transformed if you come into skin contact with the original alien DNA. Think like the goop all over the walls that keeps growing. That's why DS3 is a problem. In DS2, I guess it can be assumed that they collected stuff from the Ishimura but, there's no hive mind in DS2 because it was rewritten that the marker was what did everything, even tho that's not possible. Then, in DS3 it was rewritten again but, the story is unsalvageable.
>>
>>344933438
Nope, unless you have the DLC
>>
>>344933281

The marker doesnt create anything. It transmits a signal that converts dead tissue into necromorph tissue. A signal that originates from the moons. They might have been experimenting, and growing necros in labs, but they didnt create them. In the presense of the marker signal, dead tissue will naturally become necromorph tissue.

They introduce the first necromorph in the series 300 years before the first game, before they even find the marker. Micheal altman finds one of the atmosphere converter necros on a beach.

The might have thought the hivemind was controlling them, but it was just acting as a conduit for the signal sent from the brother moons.
>>
>>344934024
See, now you're bringing in stuff not from the games. I don't care about that. They, as in the people who had nothing to do with the writing of DS1, part of DS2 and Extraction, just made it up to try and make it work. This is why trying to make an extended Universe out of a very easy and simple narrative is garbage.
>>
>>344925420
Where can I find the rest of these?
>>
>>344924331
>not using the telemetry spike also known as the hilarity gun
>>
File: 1459128943561.jpg (47 KB, 590x582) Image search: [Google]
1459128943561.jpg
47 KB, 590x582
>>344933384
Isaac...had a hard life
arguably one of the worst in vidya history?
He got pretty fucked up lets be real.
>>
>>344934492

Are you implying that they actually had a plan for DS1 and 2?

They were writing by the seat of their pants.

I'm sorry if you don't like it, but the books and movies are canon. I honestly prefer the concept of the necromorph signal over another generic zombie virus as well.
>>
>>344934591

The thing I love about Dead Space 3 is that with all its weapon variety, you can still make a plasma cutter than puts 99% of the other weapons to shame
>>
>>344934024
>Moons

See now, this is the problem when you involve the books. I mean, in the first game the recharging necromorph is created by Dr. Mercer. In the second game, convergence magics it into existance. The story is trite.
>>
>>344934836
Not as good as a stasis rocket launcher/contact beam
>>
>>344934838

Makes sense to me.

Considering all necromorphs share a hivemind, it isnt too farfetched to think the necros realized how good the regenerator is as a shock trooper, and started making them on their own.
>>
File: pc.gif (3 MB, 260x200) Image search: [Google]
pc.gif
3 MB, 260x200
>>344929187

You, I like you.
>>
>>344934838
It's fairly heavily implied that the ubermorph is a mobile hive mind
>>
File: 1389060366494.jpg (44 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
1389060366494.jpg
44 KB, 500x392
Anyone want to revive 2's multiplayer? Been wanting to play that for a while
>>
>>344934739
I'm saying they had a clear, simple narrative. I'm saying it should not be required to read book upon book to understand a nonsensical plot point because they wrote themselves into a corner because the new writers didn't pay attention to the work of the previous writers. I don't care about "canon" either. I care about what the game said and what the game said, had nothing to do with the 3rd game. Im not even gonna touch the mess that was Unitology in DS3.
>>
>>344935331
>unitology in 1
Weirdos
>2
Basically the biggest religion
>3
Big enough to overthrow the fucking government
>>
>>344935039
Now, you're creating excuses for bad writing because you enjoy it. No point in discussing it,
>>
>>344935428
>>344935331

Unitology has always been the biggest religion. in dead space. A group of crazy religious nuts militarizing and going on Jihad isnt exactly far fetched either.

If half the population was islam, and then someone found mohammud's skeleton, you can bet there'd be global war.
>>
Dead Space 1 is a masterpiece.

2 and 3 are good games as well, but they just don't reach the heights of the first game.
>>
>>344935785
I think DS2 is better than DS1 in a lot of ways.
>>
>>344935563

>Zombies in space the videogame
>good writing.

If you think the first game, or any game, or any piece of media in the franchise is well written, you're fucking deluded.

I love the series, but I'm not going to pretend like it's anything substantive. It's sci-fi shlock, and that's all it needs to be.
>>
>>344935840
The base gameplay is marginally improved, but everything else about 1 is better.
>>
>>344935785
>Masterpiece
Let's not go crazy now.
>>
>>344935716
Yes but, Jihads hold their religious beliefs to the highest order. The beliefs of Unitology are paramount. You do not go on the journey unless baptized into the Church, you must pay tribute to go on the journey, the body is sacred and must be preserved above all else, etc. In DS3, people are shooting random people to force them on the journey and members of the church are blowing themselves up. The highest form of sacrilege. Why? Because Scientology knockoff became Islam to fit with the action plot.
>>
File: 1411526596865.png (20 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1411526596865.png
20 KB, 560x407
Dead space 1 and 2 are great. 2 being slightly better for replay because of the controls being so tight.

3. is a good game. But only because of the level design and the interaction. You actually feel like you're in fucking space, it's great.
And the best part of it is the weapon crafting. That shit is so rare in games period that it makes the game great on it's own.
Story is an abortion, and it's not really a dead space game.

Still good though
>>
>>344936310
The militant Unitologists are not normal dudes, they're called the Circle and are terrorists
>>
>>344935840
Me too. Dead Space 2 took almost everything 1 did right and improved on it. It's one of my all time favorite games.
>>
>>344935864
There's a difference between competant writing and incompetant writing. You can't defend bad writing and when someone points out why it's bad, say it's ok that it's bad.
>>
>>344936402
>NOT ALL UNITOLOGISTS
Fuck off helicals.
>>
>>344936310

>A world religion turned its back on its tenets to wage an ideological war

wow, color me surprised.

Islam is the religion of peace, you know. How could a person who belongs to the religion of peace go around suicide bombing people?

The tenets of unitology were there for no other reason than to support its own growth and stability. Since the discovery of the purpose of the markers, those kinds of tenets are pointless. The ultimate goal of the leaders of the unitology movement was triggering convergence, and the lower tier members are just sheep that follow whatever the higher ups tell them to do
>>
>>344920315
Great game. shame the studio was gutted and all the creative tenets that made this game great were gone by 3.

Though hey, maybe Amy Hennig can turn Visceral into something okay.
>>
>>344936541

I'm not defending it, I'm saying that it being bad doesnt matter. As long as it provides a framework for the rest of the game, then it does its job.
>>
>>344936827
The writing isn't incompetent or bad, a lot of the character interaction is done really well.
>>
>>344936402
Not in the game.

>>344936597
Actually, the point of most of Unitology was to amass power. Even those in high positions of power who wanted convergence, cared about the rules. With the power Unitology held, Jacob wouldn't have exited to begin with. However, it's moot because even if we assume Scientology became Islam the body still needs to be in one piece for convergence to occur. That's one tenant that would be paramount above all else. It makes no sense.
>>
>>344937121
>the body needs to be in one piece
What? no it doesn't. Partial bodies are just used as biomass.
>>
>>344936827

Framework needs structure. Even a bad one.
>>
>>344937121

They needed to keep their bodies pure and whole untill convergence began.

Once Danik started freeing the markers, they were free to blow themselves up all they wanted. As long as their bits landed close enough to a marker to turn them into necros, it was all kosher
>>
>>344937227
Biomass is not seen as convergence. Again, we're assuming convergence exists tho.
>>
>>344937413
Well we know convergence exists, all the biomass available is launched up to become a FLESH MOON
>>
>>344936012
1 has arguably better atmosphere with a few real bosses, but no, 2 improves on it nearly every way. more diverse environments, less fetch quest feeling bullshit objectives, more meaningful enemy setups (1 tends to use certain ones way too much dulling their effect), better combat, weapons and movement, good story continuation as well with a legit good female character. great ending too. its also by far the most polished in the series and while it also factors into into the less atmosphere aspect the game has a ton of badass diverse moments and setups.

if someone lists there favorite moments in the series you can bet most of them will be from 2. also no fucking turret sequences.
>>
>>344937391

Bits can't be turned into necros. DS1 proved that.
>>
>>344937476
God, DS3 is awful.
>>
>>344937271

And the writing provides that structure just fine.

The dna necro virus concept doesnt hold up in space where everything is partitioned into air tight sections. A signal that permeates everything makes alot more sense for starting a zombie apocalypse in space, and it's a retcon that I think made the story better.

What it all boils down to is why are there zombies in space, and how do we stop them?

That's all the story I need for a game like this.
>>
>>344937514
I don't think 2 has less atmosphere, it just had a different one.
In 1 you were stuck in a godforsaken ship with no way out and no understanding of what would be around the corner, in 2 you were fighting your way out of a fallen city, you had a goal and knew what you were up against.
>>
>>344937571

Wrong.

Bits cant be turned into necros on their own, because what danger is a necromorph ear?

There are cases of bits coming together to form necromorphs though, just look at the divider.

and if the bits are too small to contribute to a divider, then the biomass is still useful during convergence in building a moon
>>
File: ds shirt.jpg (3 MB, 5888x3960) Image search: [Google]
ds shirt.jpg
3 MB, 5888x3960
rate my custom DS shirt.
the flash kinda over exposed the white on the fron though. it's blue like the back in person.
>>
File: FT14.jpg (25 KB, 720x380) Image search: [Google]
FT14.jpg
25 KB, 720x380
>>344920315
It will be missed. My only big gripe about it is that the flamethrower was utter garbage. Shame on visceral for fucking that up.
>>
>>344937738
Well, I disagree. At least you admitted it was a retcon. However, seeing how awful the biohazard systems were on the Ishimura, it's pretty easy to understand how it could spread so much.
>>
>>344937994
Fuck man that's nice. Would wear/10 sell it to me.
>>
File: 1299721612060.png (133 KB, 477x3406) Image search: [Google]
1299721612060.png
133 KB, 477x3406
>>344934503
I have a few.
>>
File: 1299729035460.png (61 KB, 560x990) Image search: [Google]
1299729035460.png
61 KB, 560x990
>>344934503
>>
File: 1299729412257.png (60 KB, 560x760) Image search: [Google]
1299729412257.png
60 KB, 560x760
>>344934503
That's all
>>
>>344937986
There are no cases. A Divider is one person, who was whole at one point when transformed. They had to be whole. They split after transformation. And no moons.
>>
>>344938685
Explain the swarm.
>>
Best weapon in the series was the boot.

Get kicked you fucking babies.
>>
>tfw you are back on ishimura and everything is quiet
>>
>>344938331
I don't get it.
>>
>>344939278
Don't have to. It's Ds3. Nothing can explain Ds3. The Swarm in Ds3 replaces the reanimators because the new creators wanted the necromorphs to more closely resemble the flood from Halo.
>>
RIP Dead Space the true last survival horror serioes
>>
>>344939756
The swarm is in 1 and 2.
>>
>>344939278
>>344938685
>>344937986
swarmers are small parts of necromorphs/corpses, but its never explicitly said what made them, so they could retardedly be just hands popped off corpses and used i guess, rather than hunks of flesh
>>344939936
swarm was the crabs from 3, swarmER were the hands from 1
brutes are blatantly multiple people but if i remember right were "manmade"
>>
>>344928767
Is that one guy in the background wearing Charlie's black horse shirt?
>>
>>344939936
No, they're not.
>>
>>344940056
I thought you said they had to be whole, fag.
>>
>>344940239
Anon, that's not the same guy.
>>
>>344940239
i didn't say shit in the thread before that, double fag
>>
>>344940167
I guess I just imagined having to mash E to get little flesh blobs off of me.
>>
I wish DS3 had a completely different protagonist set on the Moon during the incident we saw at the start of the game.

Issac's story was over, he overcame his guilt and insanity and ran off with the girl.

It should have been some nobody, but someon good with their hands. I want to play as an old grumpy Tuna fisherman like the guy from I Know What You Did Last Summer who retired to the Moon and has to get back to Earth to make sure his granddaughter is safe and makes cool weapons from gaffs, spearguns and fillet knives.
>>
>>344940756

I think they could have made a great game about the young soldier in the prequel.

He's young and inexperienced, which would contribute to the horror elements, but still has basic military training which would make him surviving a zombie apocalypse more believable.

That's the problem with an established lead for a horror series, they just keep getting pulled into the shit, when any sane person would get the fuck out of dodge. That's why the resident evil series is so shit
>>
>>344941118
By the third game Issac treats Necromorphs like an inconvenience.
>>
>>344941118

Part of the whole appeal of Issac and many other horror protagonists (Point Man from FEAR aside) is their complete lack of military or combat experience. It makes people who play video games feel more of a connection to an ordinary person.
>>
>>344941364
>>344941761

That's the problem though.

Even if Isaac has no military experience, he has more necro killing experience than anyone else in the series.

It removes all tension when you're Necro-slayer Isaac Clarke killing his 1000th slasher.

I personally think the military rookie is the perfect spooky shooter protagonist. Trained in the basic operation of a gun and hand to hand combat, but still wet enough behind the ears to be unsure of his ability.

That's my opinion anyways. I prefer it over a civilian that has never been in that kind of confrontation suddenly becoming a fearless killing machine.
>>
Just beat the first game not long ago
great experience, went out and picked up 2, what am I in for?
>>
>>344942362

A snappier, more action oriented version of the first game
>>
>>344920315
The ambient background noise in this game was top notch.

But then I noticed that it mostly went missing in the next 2 games
>>
Soooo....
Dead Space 4 when?
>>
>>344943304

Likely never.
>>
>>344943304

I love the series but hopefully never, or by a developer independent of EA as a story separate from DS1 and 2 implying that DS3 never happened, with an all new setting and a retired New England fisherman as the MC[/spolier]
>>
>>344943304
EA specifically came out and said the Dead Space series isn't dead.
>>
>>344928234
>back compat
mah nigga
>>
>>344927430
I've had that same issue multiple times, it's because the physics engine wasn't written to run at framerates higher than whatever vsync locks the game at. If you restart with vsync, get past that door, you can disable vsync and play at whatever framerate you like. It's worth bothering with, DS is a great series (aside from 3).
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.