[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never played Pokemon except for Go which is bullshit. Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
I never played Pokemon except for Go which is bullshit. Which one should I play to get into it? I'm familiar pretty much only with the first generation from the anime but I'm a bit curious about the new ones too.
>>
>>344877163

HG/SS
Platinum
Black 2/White 2
>>
start with 1st gen, have a friend trade all three starters with you. or hack save if emulating.

you kinda missed the boat OP, by like, a decade.
>>
>>344877163
The general consensus is that the remakes (except Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire) are better than the originals, and Platinum is the best for gen4.
It's not like Pokemon has much variety between games, so pick whatever. For Gen3 Emerald is top tier as in it has a good post-game.
>>
>>344877376
2 decades at this point.
Its 2016
>>
I say start with the originals, but I'm biased because I think the Pokemon designs in the rest suck. If you can get past them not being in color, you'll be good. If you can't, then go with Soul Silver or Heart Gold.
>>
pokemon fire red

dont listen to pokefags, literally nothing after 1st gen is good, it has pokemon beauty pageants and other faggot shit. game is ruined.

2nd gen is ok too (soul silver/heart gold)
>>
>>344877452
>pokemon came out in 1976
>>
>>344877163
Don't bother. It's a bland, easy rpg aimed at little kids. SMT mainline is similar, but challenging enough to hold the attention of anyone with a modicum of rpg experience
>>
>pokemon is 50 years old
>>
>>344877683
Not sure if bait
A decade = 10 years
>>
>>344878114
sorry english is not main language and confused decade with score
>>
>>344878238
Nobody in the US uses the term 'score' anymore. You should probably nix it from your vacabulary.
>>
>>344877376
Hell, even more than that. Diamond and Pearl came out 9 years ago.
>>
>>344877357
BW2 are dogshit. Play HG/SS or straight up BW, OP.
>>
My favorite will always be Crystal, but it's all a matter of taste anon, they're all pretty similar
>>
File: Bvtby.png (201 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
Bvtby.png
201 KB, 361x361
>>344877683
>mfw that was 80 years ago
>>
>>344878786
>80 years ago was 96 years ago
Why even live?
>>
Don't start with the original games.

They haven't aged very well, both graphically and in terms of polish (they are super buggy) and balance/gameplay.

I say play Firered or Leafgreen (the remakes of the originals), but use a romhack that adds in the physical special split for moves and removes the lock on crossgen evos, but modifies nothing else.
>>
>>344877163
Don't bother, they're for children.
>>
>>344877163

Firered/Leafgreen is the only starting point.
Blue is still one of my favourite games, but objectively speaking there's no reason to play the originals over the remakes.
>>
Platinum if you plan on moving forward into the new games. Firered and Emerald are great.
>>
If you don't mind playing a bit of an older generation, I'd start with Fire Red/Leaf Green. It's a bit more updated version of the originals and is just kind of your standard Pokemon experience. You can play on a GBA or a DS.

If you want something a bit newer I suggest Heart Gold or Soul Silver. This is most people's favorite. It has a lot of content compared to other games, and the Pokemon available to you throughout the game are great.

For the very newest, just play X and Y. They're really good, despite what people say. Excellent intro level Pokemon games.
>>
Platinum is objectively the best. Especially music wise.
>>
If you plan to marathon the whole series than start with the originals but otherwise just play FireRed which objectively improves a lot that was wrong with the base game.
>>
>>344878906
Here's a patch that does the stuff I mentioned for FRLG: http://www.mediafire.com/download/hpebax5p81tifdk/Pokemon_Fire_Red_PS_Split_Nat_Dex_Patch.ips
>>
I would just play FireRed or LeafGreen. I played Yellow when it came out but holy shit it's so slow, and you have an annoyingly limited inventory.
>>
If you can tolerate or enjoy 8 bit graphics and sound
Start with the original Red/Blue for gameboy

Otherwise start with Fire Red / Leaf Green
Captcha: 151
>>
>>344879643
Actually the sound on NES and DMG is 4 bit.
>>
>>344878624
>Best post-game in the whole series
>dogshit
No, anon.
>>
>>344877163
XY is great for newbies.
>>
I think you should either start with Gen 1 (RB, not Y - it's too gimmicky), or FireRed/LeafGreen.

RB will give you the full experience of the original pokemon craze. You will play it exactly as we played it - including all the glitches and broken mechanics (though you have to actively search for glitches).

FR/LG certainly has improved mechanics, though (better balance, more attacks, pokemon abilities - yet, there are no newshit pokemon). You will probably find FR/LG's gameplay to be less repetitive and more interesting.

I actually like the original music over the remakes. The original sounds charming and coherent, while the remakes sound like cheap MIDI re-orchestrations in Garage Band.
>>
>>344877163
HG/SS
Lots of Kanto mons so familiar ground and a handful of new ones you might stumble across. And there's a surprise if you beat the champion!
>>
FR/LG first
Then HG/SS platinum BW and BW2 after that.

AVOID: Ruby/Saphire and Diamond Pearl since they're 100% inferior compared to emerald and platinum.

End with maybe emerald, XY and oras.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.