[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone tell me why exactly was this game was so good? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: Star_Wars_Galaxies_604x423.jpg (35 KB, 604x423) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Galaxies_604x423.jpg
35 KB, 604x423
Can someone tell me why exactly was this game was so good? I missed out on playing it back in the day. Why did they have to ruin it?
>>
the actual game wasn't good at all

the community and roleplaying were cool though
>>
>>344876615
I never got to experience the glory days but from what my buddy says it had everything. Dozens of skill trees that fed into each other, monster breeding, camping, crafting all sorts of shit, music-playing skills, basically shit to do besides grind in a theme park which is all we get nowadays.
>>
>>344878390
pretty much. it was similar to UO in that it legitimately offered a world/universe of its own. you could have a character who never engaged in combat, but rather was just a hair dresser and dancer.

it's a shame so many just copy the WoW formula now. i really think going the other way with a non linear MMO could be competitive.
>>
File: Picture 1.jpg (440 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Picture 1.jpg
440 KB, 1920x1080
>>344876470
I will always be mad, I will forever and always be mad, when Yellowstone erupts, I'll be mad, when the San Andreas fault causes Cali to fall into the ocean, I'll be mad, when the sun has decided it's had enough of our shit and takes us out, I will still be mad
>>
>>344876470
Having never played it, I remember the consensus being that it was boring shit that eventually became less boring, but like any MMO, was defined by the community.

Also Wookie strippers.
>>
Used to be on the Bloodfin sever in a guild called the New Republic Order. Good fucking times. The player housing and roleplaying shit was top tier. Never experienced that with any other game.
>>
>>344876470
Basically because it was sandbox style. Do anything.

If you're curious at all, check out the repopulation. Last I checked their server or engine or shine shit was involved with a lawsuit with anoth company and the gane was in ice. Dunno what's going on these days.

But basically, rather than just have combat classes and shit, you can just be a fucking dancer. Or a crafter. Whatever. Repolulation also allowed city building bs. So a world that could theoretically change. But again, was in ice. Paid early access at one point, think it's supposed to be ftp on release
>>
>>344876470
>>344879203

This. Despite some really shitty design choices, the game was a fun sandbox that had a fantastic community. Joining my first guild and setting up shop in their city of Novi Saad on Corellia was magical.

Also, I WAS a wookie stripper. And I fucking loved it.
>>
swgemu is doing pretty well isn't it?
>>
>>344876470
It was sandbox in the sense that all the important systems to the world were player run. All the items other than some very basic starting shit was player created. So if you actually wanted to do combat, which was actually shit, you needed to buy armor and weapons from people that made armor and weapons that they sold at some vendor in some building as if it was an NPC building or town but the building, the vendor even the town was player created and the stock on the vendor was all player created too.

All of the none combat stuff was really good, crafting system second to none that I know of. The game had a ton of different resources and at different qualities which would cycle with time so some months you maybe able to find some amazing resources but then not for a long time as they ran out and you waited for them to return never really know exactly where on a planet they would pop up. So different crafters had widly varying quality gear they sold and the crafted could choose which sorts of stats on an item to prioritise and such. Sort of like a Diablo item style system with a lot of variables making the same item very different except the stats weren't entirely random.

Shame the combat was garbage. I actually looked forward to the combat update but I never actually played it as I stopped playing before it came and never went back until the later update that turned the game into basically WoW, removing all the old good stuff and trying to make the combat like popular MMOs that came after.
>>
Ran a commando character. Knew my shit and was outfitted by the best weaponsmith and second best armorsmith on the server. Put a lot into helping the guild set up its city on Correllia. Lost my cybervirginity in a hastily built shack in the Jundland Wastes. Hunted Krayt dragons (and ninja'd the drops). Was an unstoppable engine of destruction.
Then Sony started rolling out the combat upgrades one class at a time, months apart. Got wrecked by bare-knuckle boxers, moisture farmers and wookie strippers. Tried to tough it out for a few months, waiting for the commando upgrade to make it all ok again, but couldn't.
Never been so mad/sad at an MMO before or since.
>>
>>344881619
What I remember was TKA/doctors early on. Then Combat medics when they started crafting really good aoe poisons that would just wreck entire groups of people.
>>
unfortunately my only experience with pre-cu is with swgemu. the combat seems bad. creature handling is cool, though -- a lot of the noncombat stuff is awesome. the worlds are somehow immersive to me even though objectively they can get pretty samey, the graphics are low quality, and there's awful pop-in when riding around.

i had some of the best times on swg when it was live, though.

>tfw spending an entire summer camping the deathwatch bunker for BLs/PLCs when solo'ing it was still possible

i miss NGE
>>
>>344878390
Same here.
I picked up the game like a few weeks after the NGE was put in. So I never played the original version of the game. I basically joined right as everyone started to drop the game.
>>
>>344882656
Pre-cu fag reporting.

Id take the NGE if it meant swg was back.

There isnt a week goes by that i dont think about all the fun times with guild bros and random encounterals. All the comrades ive lost. I wonder how theyre all doing today.
>>
>>344883645
iktf

;_;
>>
It just had a lot going on. The pre and post NGE play kinda blends together for me but it was just a game where you could a lot as a person who lived in fucking Star Wars. Mundane shit like crafting and player housing or epic shit like fighting witches on Dathomir or fighting in big space battles in all kinds of ships. Just lots of nerdy shit that BioWare thought you didn't need but was really the keystone of the game. Remember playing most of my time becoming a good bounty hunter, it was a lot to understand because it had so many options but once you had your barrings and had some experience in PvP, you were able to rake in money with PKs.
>>
is there any other game that has something like player bounty hunting in swg? incredible feature
>>
File: ayyyyyyyyy.png (915 KB, 594x703) Image search: [Google]
ayyyyyyyyy.png
915 KB, 594x703
>>344879830
No, the game is literally dead where everyone is in a bot. To the dancers/musicians, grinders, prospectors, and the crafters. The fucking keks I've had where I run into a town in the middle of the map only to find that everyone in the are is AFK and kneeling and on a crafting script. If the game is so good, why are the people themselves not even playing it?
>>
File: metro-20331.jpg (782 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
metro-20331.jpg
782 KB, 1920x1200
And Last Light. All the dumb litlle thigs you had to do like recharge the flash light. Love the atmosphere of this game
>>
>>344887120
>things
>little
Jeesus
>>
>>344887120
Excuse me, sir...?
>>
literally go play the emu. there are a fuckton of servers all with their take on the game. there is even an NGE server. no reason to not go play it right now kid
>>
>>344882656
>>344882821
>>344883645
literally go play SWG Legends right now! it is the game basically just as it was when it shut down. NGE and all.
>>
>>344881190
Sounds like a MUD with graphics.
>>
>>344876470
Just go play the EMU, its actually decent.
>>
File: screenShot0114.jpg (581 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
screenShot0114.jpg
581 KB, 1680x1050
>>344888065
a stars wars MUD with graphics
>>
Man I remember my beast tamer, my favorite memory was travelling all over Naboo to tame this giant fucking bird that was the size of a building, then taking it to cities and tripping people out
>>
>>344876615
The game was good because it allowed the community to express itself.
The sandbox aspect was really well designed.

Choosing to have only a few people in the entire game could be jedis was a really smart move, instead of giving it to everyone like TOR did.
>>
>>344889030
>Choosing to have only a few people in the entire game could be jedis was a really smart move, instead of giving it to everyone like SWG eventually did

Why do Jedi ruin everything?
>>
>>344889690
because everyone wants to be special, it's why most games are total shit
>>
>>344889690
Jedi are special snowflakes but if you try and treat them like they are common (prequels and TOR) everyone else looks like shit in comparison.
>>
>>344886849
because of the slow ass grind on novice artisan and entertainer, its much easier to just set up a bot art/doc/ent and just let them farm creds/xp while you play a combat profession on a alt char. its similar to that one sims image where the family had a painting goblin trapped in the basement that did all the work and earned money for them so they could socialize and have fun
>>
>>344887929
how fleshed out is it?
>>
>>344876470
You can play the emulator to find out. It's really fucking grindy. I played an artisan with the aspiration of eventually being a droid builder but the grinding made me want to shoot myself. You stand beside a crafter for hours crafting thousands upon thousands of shirts so you can get XP to level up. Like 100,000 XP to unlock a skill, but the most efficient way to get this XP is to craft shirts that give you 10 XP each. It plays like a F2P MMO.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.