[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about Myst? Playing it seriously for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
Can we talk about Myst? Playing it seriously for the first time in my life, just got to the Mechanical Age. Very enthralling, can't see why John Walker and his sycophants hate it
>>
Its a great game, I was disappointed that the witness wasn't Myst-like
>>
I remember playing it as a kid when my family first got a computer. It was so mysterious and enthralling. Until my friend and I looked up how to skip to the ending. It was quite a cerebral experience before that. It eventually lead me to reading a series of books set in that universe that took my mind even further places.
>>
>>344805041
I played Myst for the first time like two years ago after avoiding it for ages. It was a lot of fun keeping a notebook and exploring the game, it's very well put together compared to most adventure games.

Still haven't gotten around to playing Riven though.
>>
>>344807301
if I remember my childhood right, Riven is f u c k i n g a m a z i n g
don't delay too much on getting around to it
>>
Why can't gamers today handle Myst? Is it because you need a notebook?
>>
>>344807301
Rivens fantastic, though unfortunately has the most bullshit puzzle in the history of puzzle games ever.

And then you can play Exile which feels like a cakewalk next to Riven.
>>
File: 1461037430439.jpg (1 MB, 3840x1581) Image search: [Google]
1461037430439.jpg
1 MB, 3840x1581
I really liked Myst and Riven. Exile was only OK and the rest were just kind of uninspired. I really enjoyed the lore with the world writing and and all that. Ghen was probably one of the best villains in a game I've played. He was just so cold, methodical, and uncompromising, yet human as well.

The books were ok too.

Has anyone played Haven Moon and is it worth it?
>>
File: MonkeyIsland20Bucks.jpg (174 KB, 790x600) Image search: [Google]
MonkeyIsland20Bucks.jpg
174 KB, 790x600
>>344807502
I assume you're talking about the marble puzzle in the golden dome?

>>344807493
>Is it because you need a notebook?
Yes, that. And patience. And basic problem solving abilities.
>>
>>344807493
People are too used to the game being handed to them on a plate instead of having to get into the game themselves.

Only way you could make a game like it these days is to have something where it starts out simple and slowly ramps up in complexity.
>>
>>344807502
Riven seemed to have a lot more bullshit puzzles than Myst. Never had a point in myst where I went "fucking really?" to a puzzle but in riven It happened a few times. I think Myst is the better game because of it.
>>
I hate knowing how to beat the game, it's so easy to remember. Also, wtf is with the instructions being backwards? It was like, turn all the switches on, then turn this particular switch off, or the other way around. I was thinking that "on" should mean that the corresponding thing on the map lit up, but it's the opposite.
>>
I loved Myst as a kid, I can see why it got so much hype. I didn't play any of the sequels and don't really play anything like it.

Is there a modern game like this, just a comfy "walk around a cool setting and solve puzzles and unravel a mystery" kind of thing without a bunch of wacky cutscenes and hints and achievements that plague modern gaming?
>>
Myst was fun little game. Now Riven is the one that broke me. God, it's so big and pretty with lots of puzzles available at any point and I'm too dumb to figure it out. Game randomly crashing every half an hour didn't help either.
>>344808547
It's a script error. Surprising they didn't catch it, considering it's essential to winning the game.
>>
>this generation is too stupid to enjoy a game like Myst
I was but a wee lad and remember keeping a notebook just for puzzles and useful info
>>
>>344809713
It also got a lot of hype because it almost singlehandedly popularized the disc drive in home PCs. You can fact check that shit
>>
>>344809713
>Is there a modern game like this, just a comfy "walk around a cool setting and solve puzzles and unravel a mystery"
If there is, /v/ will shit on it and say it's not a game
>>
>>344809713
Gone Home. No, really
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.