[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/do cuments/cases/160711warn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 804x197) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 804x197
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/160711warnerbroscmpt.pdf

>Warner Bros. has settled an FTC complaint accusing the company of paying YouTubers "hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars" to make positive review videos for Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. FTC filed the complaint back in 2014, after the studio ran an online marketing campaign for the game. According to the the commission, Warner Bros. required (PDF) the online influencers they hired to make a video that "promote[s] positive sentiment about" Shadow of Mordor. That video should "not show bugs or glitches that may exist" and should "not communicate negative sentiment" about Warner Bros. These influencers also had to promote their videos on Facebook and Twitter. The commission didn't release a list of the YouTubers the studio paid, but it did name PewDiePie as one of them.
>>
How unexpected.
>>
>>344754760

Without companies providing demos, how are we supposed to know whether a game is good or not if all reviewers are paid off?
>>
>>344754967
You're not forced to either have a demo or blindly buy at d1. Just wait and see other people's feedback.
>>
>>344754967
>how are we supposed to know whether a game is good or not
Like why would you care how many new ip are there per year? 1-2? You get the same games every year anyways.
>>
>>344754967
Piracy is the answer to all your vidya related problems.
>>
>>344754707
But why? The game is great.
>>
>>344754967
use your brain

I always make good purchase decisions
>>
>>344754967
dont preorder
dont buy on day 1
>>
File: 132600892437.png (95 KB, 281x354) Image search: [Google]
132600892437.png
95 KB, 281x354
This thread reminded me I've never played this game.

Welp, time to pirate it.
>>
>>344754967
Pirate the game and try it before buying. Stop buying shit on day 1 or preordering altogether.

If the game has denuvo, it's not gonna be worth your time regardless
>>
>>344755262
>>344755114

Not buying d1

>>344755149

Is Infinite the same as Bioshock 2?
>>
>>344755357
BioShock 2 is the worst one but still cool.
>>
>>344754967
Pirate and buy if it's good.

Really though if a company doesn't provide a demo, ir's pretty clear they have something to hide and don't deserve my money to begin with. Some are fine with piracy for that reason though.
>>
File: 1467919922922.jpg (448 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1467919922922.jpg
448 KB, 2560x1920
>>344754707

Finally some proof
>>
That game was pretty neat, the only problem is that it gets really easy very quickly
>>
>>344755357
yea pretty much just changed the story and setting.
>>
>>344754707
>watching "positive" youtubers
If a review doesn't shit on the game from time to time then it shoudn't be taken seriously.
>>
>>344754707
Why would they need to pay reviewers when it's already a solid Asscreed clone? Fuck, Monolith does the formula better than Ubishit.
>>
>>344754967
this is why you pirate first buy later, dumbass.
>>
>>344755761
WB is probably the most retarded publisher
>>
>>344755761
See, this was what people didn't get at the time of the story breaking. Shadow of Mordor was actually pretty decent and WB still got this PR company to make weird positive coverage only deals with YouTubers.
>>
>>344755761
Exactly what I was thinking. Literally blew away all of my (admittedly low) expectations and I enjoyed it far more than AssCreed. About the one game they probably didn't need to pay people to shill.
>>
>>344754967
By friends recomendation, by /v/ recomendation and pirating
>>
>>344755174
The "game" is shit
>>
>>344756148
>warner bros. just deposited 0.45 into you account
>>
>>344754967
Watching a fucking gameplay. If you can't make your mind with it you gotta be retarded.
Also, the first reactions here before the contrarians shit on it are usually right
>>
gamergate was still wrong tho
>>
>>344755174
Someone post the video where that guy fight like 30 enemies and clears some kind of end game area by pressing a single button while his screen is turned off.
>>
>>344756838
>by /v/ recomendation
Dying
>>
>>344757064
>people can't like things without being shills
I think WB are retarded for marketing the game like they did, but it doesn't stop the game from being a decent game.
>>
i don't understand why people are so shocked ?

I thought that was common knowledge that almost every big company does that, they give early access to youtubers so they can have a headstart on other youtubers but they make them sign something that binds them to not be critical about it

Not even in a "ONLY SAY THE GAME IS AWESOME " way but in a "If you encounter 20 crash in a row edit that part out"
>>
>>344754707
Pewdiepie actually disclosed
>>
>we don't need sites, we have youtubers
>and endless series of corruption scandals and drama.

Say what you will about the sites, can't prove any of them ever actually took bribes for shit.
>>
>>344758402
Some sites definitely took money without disclosure though. See: Amazon referral links that weren't disclosed
>>
>>344754707
yeah, so?
>>
>>344758402
with sites its not donations, its purchasing banner ads and such, often every single one on the site for a while. The effect of a company giving money for good scores is still there, its just through means that are a tad more legal and look less shady when talked about
>>
>>344754967
Piracy, friends or negative /v/ reactions might be your best bet in order of safety

Invading forums to shill has been a profession for at least ten years
>>
>>344754707
Finnish department of ethical marketing or bullshit like that had sent a letter for Activision because of marketing on one youtuber's video where he literally goes "I wish all of you buy this game". In the wake of this, the said youtuber does a video where he does "so funny" name play with Destiny and pretty much goes "I WISH YOU ALL BUY THIS GAME" the entire video in retard PDP-like fashion.
>>
But it said that it is was supported by WB in the desc, and Disney is doing the same but there is no complain because you expect Disney to be assholes.
>>
>>344760095
desu chan shadap dis is a hate thread not logic thread
>>
> game companies are now paying youtubbers instead of gaming journalists

hahahahahahha
>>
ETHICS IN JOURNALISM! THREATEN EVERYBODY WITH RAPE! ETHICS!

Isn't that how this is supposed to go?
>>
>>344761095
don't forget the irrational hatred of liberal opinions and anyone that dares to speak out for the victims of harassment on the internet

ugh..
>>
gamergate was wrong tho
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.