[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to play this for the first time. Is it as hard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12
I'm going to play this for the first time. Is it as hard as people say?
>>
It's pretty difficult but the fast paced battle system is a lot of fun. Best SMT game. Takes a dump on that le high-school dating sim meme xDDD series
>>
Yeah dude! It's the Dark Souls of RPGs!
>>
ONE MORE G*D REJECTED
>>
>>344749339

its really not hard

just pick either magic or str don't split stats and buffs are good
>>
It's not anymore hard than your average Smt game.
>>
nigger it's a jrpg, no it's not hard.
>>
Not really, unless you deliberately play on Hard Mode. There's some cheeky bullshit at some points, but it's nothing compared to actual bullshit Wizardry stuff.
Worst cases are shit like random encounters that can insta-kill the MC, and if the MC dies it's game over, or kinda bullshit RNG bosses like Mot. Kalpas can be kind of tough, but that's about it.
>>
File: hnggg.png (4 MB, 2201x1215) Image search: [Google]
hnggg.png
4 MB, 2201x1215
It's hard (when you play it on hard difficulty, which I suggest) But it's pretty damn fun

If you're new to SMT, you'll definitely die a lot, so be ready for that.

You can learn everything on your own, but my only tip: BUFFS AND DEBUFFS, USE THEM

You'll have a better time than me playing the ultimate weeb experience
>>
File: 1426921129817.png (199 KB, 549x488) Image search: [Google]
1426921129817.png
199 KB, 549x488
>>344749409
>mfw when people said that about smt4

After the first 10% of the game it gets so easy which leads me to realize how much of a game reviewers play
>>
>>344749339
>Is it as hard as people say?
No, but it's challenging and you actually need to understand the combat mechanics and how/when to use buffs or you will get shat on.
>>
>>344749339

Just remember to buff and debuff

Matador will be the test to determine if you know how to buff and debuff effectively
>>
File: 1468024579097.jpg (108 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1468024579097.jpg
108 KB, 768x1024
>>344749580
>the game actually has really solid gameplay
If the sessions had a fast forward it'd honestly have flawless turn based gameplay

WHY did atlus put so much effort into such a shit title
>>
>>344750245
Boobs~
>>
>>344750058
If you get Inugami early you can trivialise him with Fog Breath, IIRC.
>>
Go to the Kalpas, son of man.
>>
>>344749339
no, it's cheap.

>run around
>pulled into random encounter
>enemy goes first because FUCK YOU
>exploits your weakness which gives them 15 turns in a row
>dead before you can even react

nah, shit game.
>>
>>344750245
>What is Auto-Battle
>>
>>344749339
Nah but it gets pretty boring and convoluted as it moves on
>>
File: 1466528748523.jpg (139 KB, 649x652) Image search: [Google]
1466528748523.jpg
139 KB, 649x652
>>344750245
Ez money. Plenty of autists in moonland who'll buy idolshit. Or so they thought, serves them right.

Yakuza5 pulled the same shit and I fucking hate sega right now.
>>
>>344749339
SMT games being hard is a meme, and I say this as a SMT fan.

They're certainly less braindead than your typical whack-a-mole style jrpg, and you can crank the difficulty up, but all you need to do is learn to exploit the elemental system (which is nothing; it has less depth than building a balanced team around fucking Pokemon's type chart), and also learn that you need to use more than just attacks and healing.

Then you press the iWin button and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>344750832
Oh, and make sure to keep fusing better demons. And don't split your stat spread between physical and magic offense.
>>
File: matadortea.png (21 KB, 180x204) Image search: [Google]
matadortea.png
21 KB, 180x204
it was pretty rough as a first SMT game, I played it around when it came out.

Like I went up against Matador with a Jack Frost and some other shitters in my party and lost so hard I thought it was scripted. But for example with an Uzume and understanding that you can stack buffs it's not hard. It just requires you to put a little effort into understanding the press turn and fusion systems, which is a step beyond your average RPG (impossible to lose unless you're trying).

I still remember Dante as being legitimately intense though.
>>
>>344751017
Dante can't literally touch you if you Sukukaja your ass up.
>>
i literally only played this game because Dante was in it and i was a diehard dmc fan

was worth it
>>
>>344749339
Hard mode is tedious.

Here's what makes the game hard:
RNG in even normal battles makes it so you're able to be defeated without even getting a turn if you're not prepared
Almost every enemy has a poison, stun, or instant death spell, all annoying as shit
>long dungeons usually don't have healing spots so you're forced to teleport back to the beginning to heal unless you came prepared

Biggest tip:
Enemies can debuff you to shit, but you can do the same thing. Debuffing the enemy and buffing yourself is EXTREMELY important.
Also, know an enemy's weakness as exploiting it will turn the tides of most battles
>>
>>344750832
Elemental shit is useless for anything other than status effects in SMT II. Possibly I too, I don't remember.
You're better off just loading up on status-inflicting bullets with multi-hit/all-enemy hitting guns and swords, which triviliases things more than anything you can do in the later games.

>>344751017
>>344750312
With Matador you can also trivialise him if you get a Take-Minakata or Chatterskull, both learn Dekaja at level 21 which completely breaks the fight.
>>
Oh yeah, and Pixie, the first demon you get, keep her throughout the whole game. You're allowed to fuse her, but just remember which demon she's a part of. You can use her at the very end of the optional labyrinth to get a super buff demon.
>>
>>344749339
Only if you suck or play like a generic turn based jrpg. There are plenty of ways to exploit the press turn system, one thing being fusing fiends.
Hard mode in the first phases of the game can be really unforgiving though, even as an expert player.
>>
File: 1468309390595.jpg (56 KB, 521x521) Image search: [Google]
1468309390595.jpg
56 KB, 521x521
>>344750650
I'm not against idolshit, I was still cautiously optimistic after they dropped that ball but when I saw what Treehouse did with the localization I lost interest entirely.
>>
File: YHVHStanza.png (40 KB, 228x316) Image search: [Google]
YHVHStanza.png
40 KB, 228x316
>>344751224
>tfw you have one character with charm bullets and a freeze-inflicting sword and another with bind bullets and a stun-inflicting sword
Literally fucking unstoppable. Apart from those assholes who void/reflect sword and gun, but then they're always weak to either expel and/or death anyway.
>>
>>344751224
>Elemental shit is useless for anything other than status effects in SMT II. Possibly I too, I don't remember.

After the first line in my post, I was only talking about Nocturne, because that's what OP asked about.

And of course it's worthless in 1 and 2. They don't have press turn mechanics.
>>
File: smtdds01.png (44 KB, 255x360) Image search: [Google]
smtdds01.png
44 KB, 255x360
anything I should know before jumping into this?
>>
>>344751926
Licking door knobs is illegal on other planets.
>>
>>344751892
You were referring to the games in plural in that sentence, which is why I thought you mean the games as a whole. Never mind.

Seriously though, the status effect shit in the early games was fucking ridiculous. I remember SMT II being relatively challenging at the very beginning until I got my first M16 with charm bullets, and then all the difficulty completely fell apart. That game's difficulty curve was a mess.
>>
>>344749339
Like every SMT it's ridiculously easy if you're not a retard.
>>
File: wtf_am_i_reading.png (719 KB, 446x1000) Image search: [Google]
wtf_am_i_reading.png
719 KB, 446x1000
>>344750245
>solid gameplay
>shit title
>>
>>344751926
No, it's pretty much entry level.
The thing is why Nocturne is harder is because it doesn't hold your hand.
>>
>>344749339
Don't play on hard for your first run.

People have a tendency to recommend it because they're played the series for a billion hours but if you're not already familiar with the SMT battle system it's basically impossible.
>>
>>344754141
Fuse Daisoujou at lv 30-something, win the game.
>>
>>344749339
>play on normal
>hospital
>recruited a few demons
>spent all their MP in battles
>no way to replenish it
>get fucked
>>
File: image.png (439 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
image.png
439 KB, 500x738
>>344749339

Fellow first timer here.
Not horrifically so, but it is challenging. The game is kind enough to provide you with a decent grind spot fairy early on if you're patient.

Invest in AG buff moves early or pic related WILL fuck you up.
>>
>>344754508
Why did you not to back to the doctor room, fairly certain it restores it to everyone
>>
File: 1465858316344.jpg (80 KB, 500x961) Image search: [Google]
1465858316344.jpg
80 KB, 500x961
>>344749580
>playing nocturne on hard
>dying to every mudo, hama on the game
>getting to restart every 5min of gameplay because you were fucked from behind (until you get that one spell from that one magatama)
>having bosses do enough damage to wipe you out on their first turn with extra turns or having to grind so much the game loses its fun

naah, I'm cool on normal.
>>
It would certainly be rough if you're not familiar with how SMT works.
However if you manage to complete it you be able to tackle any other subsequent game in the series without difficulty.
>>
>>344754508
This:>>344754593
You don't even have to pay for full restoration at the hospital, just go and get everyone restored for free. What the fuck are you doing?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.