[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: a-link-between-worlds-box-art.jpg (2 MB, 1863x1697) Image search: [Google]
a-link-between-worlds-box-art.jpg
2 MB, 1863x1697
What went wrong?
>>
>>344746972
Renting system was shit. They could just let you enter dungeons in any order without requiring an item.
>>
>>344747101
Yeah but then all dungeons would be more or less the same level and none of the items would matter.

That's part of the issue with nonlinearity. It's hard to get the balance just right. It's a work in progress. Ideally, dungeons should get harder as you progress, with each one building on the last only throwing even greater challenges at you.
>>
Renting system was dumb and I have no idea how they woulda worked around it.
>Hey you died? Come warp back here, buy it again and walk all the way back to where you were!
Death didn't feel punishing enough to make me careful, it was just annoying and save points a plenty allowed for save scumming anyway.
Hero mode was pretty fun though.
>>
I beat this and remember nothing about it other than the sticking to a wall mechanic.
>>
I think maybe ALBW was probably an experiment to see how to best implement near-complete non-linearity. It was a failure, but I'must hoping they learned something from it.
>>
Nothing. It's a perfect Zelda game,100% fun with no padding. Autistic /v/tards can bitch about rentals and difficulty all they want, but those things really don't matter at all in a Zelda game.
>>
>>344747661
>>Death didn't feel punishing enough to make me careful
>>Dying in a Zelda game
What the fuck are you doing so badly?
>>
>>344748347
100% this. ALBW is fuckin sick senpai. What really needs to be talked about is Triforce Heroes. Bought it like 2 days after launch and stopped playing it after a week. Makes me sad thinking about it really.

Wish my friends weren't such bros and had 3DS'.
>>
File: 444.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
444.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>Get every single item at the start of the game
>Dungeons felt pointless because of this
>No feeling of progression

What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>344748453
Tri Force Heroes is also a fine game IMO: It just does not work if you can't get 3 player local co-op going.
>>
It wasn't just link to the past. Fans just want the same shit every time with just a new coat of paint.
>>
>>344748530
What's even more sad is I borrowed 2 3DS from two ENTIRELY separate co-workers just so I could get my two friends to try it out, after 2 levels they were bored.

Fuck my friends.
>>
I've seen quite a few complaints from people who haven't played this because they would deem the non-linearity aspect as something faulty, specifically in terms of difficulty.

However when I played it I experienced a level of difficulty similar to quite a few Zelda games out there, which wasn't much. ALTTP felt very similar. All in all it was just another top down zelda game, with a few little gimmicks here and there.

The only thing that kinda bugs me is the graphics but that's just me.
>>
>>344746972
Nothing. The game was literal perfection.
>>
>>344748480
I felt the exact opposite. Every dungeon in ALBW had a cool treasure in it, and since they weren't required to play through the dungeon, they could be hidden more carefully.
>>
It was a little too easy, that's all.
>>
Unlike other zeldas at least, in this one hero mode was a little bit better due to the non-linearity aspect. You could choose a different path to follow, you could get some items earlier as you discovered them and such.

I always complained about how useless rupees were in some zelda games, like in Twilight Princess where it only seems they added the rupee armor to give them a purpose. But in this game they are strictly necessary and thankfully you can carry the maximum from the very start of the game.
>>
>>344747451
>nonlinearity

> Ideally, dungeons should get harder as you progress, with each one building on the last only throwing even greater challenges at you.

aka linear. Some games shouldn't be nonlinear wow blew you're mind
>>
>>344748480
The only point of dungeons for you is the item inside? That's awfully shallow.
>>
I liked it I dunno
>>
You could throw nonlinearity in a way that the dungeon layouts, obstacles or enemies changed based on the number of dungeons completed.
>>
>>344746972
It's too easy, the art direction is bland, and reusing ALttP's stuff hurts the game's general impact.

I still think it's a great game. One of the best Zelda games in quite awhile.
>>
>>344746972
>biggest criticism of Zelda items is that you get them in a dungeon, use them once, and then never again

>Can get ALL the items right at the start

>Can still only equip ONE item at a time
>Dungeons still only use ONE item at a time
>some dungeons even have an enemy that mimics a bomb, JUST IN CASE you didn't bring bombs with you

>there is never a point you'd need to have different items on hand to progress
>>
>>344749680
You can equip two though,
You just get that perk later
>>
>>344748602
>willing to try it even though they're 'bros'
>fuck them though
entitled manchild
>>
>>344749680
To get a good half of the items, you must either grab them from different places or find them at dungeons. You have to either explore or do certain events to unlock stuff like the pegasus boots or the bracelets.

You cannot get all of the other items at the start. Hell, not even after Ravio opens up his shop. Hell, not -even- after you do the first 3 dungeons.

You can also equip 2 items and have a quick equip function that doesn't pause the game you can customize quite a bit just in case you're annoyed about it.

Previous zelda games have had bomb enemies that could be used for that very purpose. You would know this if you played any previous handheld Zelda game, as all of them have those.

And in order to explore and actually progress, yes, you do need quite a few items. You won't get to several places without certain items in hand.

I would suggest you to play the game for more than a couple of hours. But it's obvious you won't do that.
>>
Tad easy. Renting system was a bit weak, and dungeons were odd because you didn't progress inside the dungeon: there were no obstacles you'd see and think "gee I sure wish I had the dungeon item, then I'd be able to handle this much easier" since what you walked in with was more-or-less what you left with.

Other than those points., the game was great. Net sum is VERY positive given the alternative crapfests of Skyward Sword and its formulaic ilk. Much less cutscenes, much more exploring corners. Felt rewarding to find stuff. I liked that.
>>
>>344750043
Well they are my friends, so I guess I don't really mean it, you fucking nazi.

Fuck YOU though.
>>
>>344750173
>Previous zelda games have had bomb enemies that could be used for that very purpose.

No, they existed to hurt you. And they didn't exist in good games like Zelda 1 or Link to the Past.
>>
>>344750248
>there were no obstacles you'd see and think "gee I sure wish I had the dungeon item

umm this is a good thing.
>>
File: 1465004057981.jpg (96 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
1465004057981.jpg
96 KB, 620x620
>>344750381
rude
>>
>>344750409
Is it? I don't necessarily mean a hookshot target before you get the hookshot, but instead an enemy you can use the hookshot to defeat much faster and easier. That type of "Wow, this new thing is awesome!" is part of the fun of discovery, and ALBW lost it when it gave you so much more control over your equipment.
>>
>>344750383
That you didn't use them to blast the cracked walls that are usually within those rooms containing bomb enemies, doesn't exactly mean that their only purpose was to hurt you. But hey sure, you have your own preferences.
>>
>>344746972
>What went wrong?
Nothing
>>
>>344750572
But there was like what, the sand rod that was new? I don't really get the feeling of discovery when I get the hammer again. I expect BotW to have crazy new items, but handheld zelda?
>>
>>344750572
The hookshot thing, I remember in Link's Awakening being a proper strategy against those fucking wizzrobes. The anger contained by having to lurk for arrows in order to beat these fuckers disipated the moment I could very easily beat them by stunning them first with the hookshot.

I still hate that stupid dungeon though.
>>
File: 0003.png (820 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
0003.png
820 KB, 1280x720
>>344746972
>zero challenge, even when playing for the first time in Hero mode
>uninteresting overworld: squid collectathon, hooray
>remember to take a break
>zero joy of exploration in the dungeons due to item rental
>boring music
>ugly 3D look
worst handheld Zelda, perhaps even worst Zelda of all time
>>
>>344746972
Absolutely nothing? The game is fantastic.

Might be a bit too short
>>
>>344750958
>>zero challenge, even when playing for the first time in Hero mode
That describes most zelda games and it's a damn shame. Why can't nintendo accept that we've grown up and the series shouldn't cater to children? At least EXCLUSIVELY.
>>
File: elf_imitates_nintendrone.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
elf_imitates_nintendrone.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>344746972
It's literally New Super Zelda Bros., another soulless rehash and polished turd. The fanboys who defend this shit is mindnumbing to say the least, it isn't worth reiterating everything wrong with the game for the umpteenth time because of that.

A lot of 3DS games, in fact, are quite abysmal, now that I think about it. Dark Moon, Dream Team, Sticker Star, Yoshi's New Island, Chibi Robo Zip Lash, Mario Open Tennis, NSMB2... The list goes on and on.
>>
There's something soulless about the art direction, like what they did with New Super Mario Bros.
>>
I'm not the only one who loved the rental system, right?
>>
>>344754420
I didn't really love it at all. I wanted to end up buying all the items as soon as it was humanly possible. With the availability of an early way of traveling to different checkpoints in the map really quickly it doesn't feel so punishing, neither does it feel rewarding to finish sections of the game without dying to be honest.

That said for me it was hardly that much of a trouble. People talk about this like it destroyed the entire game, and to be honest the game was quite entertaining on its own. For me it was that handheld zelda to play when you're done with the rest and you want something slightly different. Not the best top down but still far better than I could expect.
>>
I like the idea of the renting system, but it doesn't really fit in a Zelda game
>>
>>344746972
my only complaints with ALBW are it being a bit too easy and the non-linearity made it feel like it ended abruptly

honestly one of the better zelda handhelds in quite some time.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.