[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about Smash that it's clones and rip offs seem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1443430780079.jpg (130 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1443430780079.jpg
130 KB, 600x600
What is it about Smash that it's clones and rip offs seem to miss that make them fail?
>>
NIN
TEN
DO

BAY
BEE
>>
>>344724202
Aside from the roster, obviously.
>>
Smash's engine is far more complicated than most people are aware of, that's why it feels so good to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtiDd5cQWJc
>>
Because they were all designed to be casual and just happened to attract a competitive following. All other Smash clones either pushed the competitive angle too hard or just sucked.
>>
People forget about the plaforming part and just focus on the fighting.
>>
>>344727040
Frankly, so did Sakurai. Smash 4 is a little better than Brawl, but not by that much.
>>
Sakurai is autistic and even when he makes the game casual as fuck it's still deeper than the competition.

Melee's physics engine is literally a work of art. Shit still beats out most AAA trash developed today.
>>
>>344725608
>Smash bros will never have a physics engine as crazy as Melee again.
>>
The games in general feel like a celebration for the characters and series that it represents.
The unified artstyle, aesthetic, soundtrack remixes, stage design, items, and even the little stuff like trophies show passion.
That and top notch, fast paced, gameplay
>>
>>344724121
The engine in every Smash game is pretty good (except maybe Brawl) and the amount if content in each game except the first is ridiculous.
Smash 4 has like 58 characters including Miis, hundreds of songs, a huge variety of very detailed stages, customizable item sets, custom specials, and equipment.
There are many things in Smash that are taken for granted that other games fail at. Take Brawlhalla for example. It doesn't feel right. Spikes don't quite... spike. Damage isn't clearly indicated. There aren't as many moves as in Smash.
Or Rivals of Aether. Mechanically, it's as close as it gets... but it has less characters than are in SSB64 and its stages are even less engaging than those in SSB64.
>>
Brand power is everything, force awakens is a mediocre movie that made tons of money on brand power alone for example
>>
>>344730714
The characters kind of ruined RoA for me. I usually roster hop in every Smash game but I only liked 1 character in RoA. Not to mention the lack of 4 player online. Shame cause it's probably the best Smash clone.
>>
>>344731994
RoA has great potential but really needs to expand its roster and implement 4-player online.
It isn't done yet, if I remember right, so it could have more added.
>>
>>344724121
>18-year-old Shulk lumped in with the shotas
Triggers me every time.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.