[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
itt: games that were much better than they say
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16
File: Batman_Arkham_Knight_Cover_Art.jpg (17 KB, 279x357) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Arkham_Knight_Cover_Art.jpg
17 KB, 279x357
itt: games that were much better than they say
>>
It was easily the worst in the trilogy
>>
>>344715590
Still pretty decent. Rocksteady knows how to tell a Batman story. The tank sucked monkey balls, tho
>>
>>344715512
lel I'll always remember this as games that some autist on /v/ came up with a better version of than the paid professional devs and writers.
>>
>>344715782
>>344715782
>the tank sucked

it changed the pace up. i like d it. 100% didn't feel as tedious as city

>>344715590
>>344715590
hello r gaming
>>
>>344715782
>Rocksteady knows how to tell a Batman story.
This one wasn't even written by Dini though. They shat the bed with most of their ongoing plot points and the villain gallery has some of the most uninteresting new entries. Not to mention the horse shit ending makes Titan Joker look good by comparison.
>>
>>344715975
>hello r gaming
I don't actually visit Reddit so I'd like to know what prompted this response from you. Did Reddit not like Arkham Knight either? I can easily make points about what I found disappointing (or downright terrible) if you wish to be less shitposty and actually engage in the conversation.
>>
>>344716204
>i didnt 100% the game
>>
>>344715590
Asylum > Knight > City
>>
>>344715590
City was the worst you redditor
>>
>>344716418
are you me?>>344716423
>>
Those tank driving missions (every other mission) were fucking awful though. If the batmobile didn't transform the game would be amazing.
>>
>>344715512
I've been playing this game through again. I think that it is the best in the series. It's a great Batman game.
>>
File: 4-SM_LP_Part_4.jpg (222 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
4-SM_LP_Part_4.jpg
222 KB, 720x480
This video game had a fun combat system that isnt just mashing buttons AND a dodge mechanic before arkham asylum
>>
Tank was fine it was just used too much. Scarecrow with Noble was a pretty good pick and I kind of wish we had more of that without Joker shitting it up.
>>
>>344716374
Beating the shit out of The Riddler was satisfying as fuck. I made sure to 100% the game, and thought the ending was great. To each their own.
>>
I liked arkham knight, but I felt like some of the "boss" fights were a complete fuck you to the player.

I'm still mad about Deathstroke.
>>
>>344716374
>i didnt 100% the game
Of course not, but I got as far as I could. I looked up the final Riddler battle (pretty good conclusion) but the actual 100% ending is fucking retarded. I would've probably tried too if there weren't so many Batmobile Riddler trophies.

>>344716423
Oh wow, the second person to bring Leddit into the equation. City's better story, level design, and bosses most Arkham bosses are crap but Freeze in AC>any other Arkham boss definitely edge it over Knight's bullcrap.
>>
>>344716513
How could you not be hyped when you save Oracle and have to fight a million tanks to keep yourselves alive. I'm one of the few that really liked the Bat tank though. I just treated it as any other gadget in my arsenal.
>>
>>344716980

I don't even remember that part of the game. The tank itself was fine but I wanted to be GRAPPLIN', FLYIN' and KAPWOWIN', not playing a minigame that has nothing to do with Batman.
>>
>>344716909
What kind of person are you? You went to youtube to see someone else fight The Riddler? You let that smug piece of garbage beat you?

I like City quite a bit, but Arkham Knight just barely pushes ahead for me. Both are excellent games though.
>>
>>344715975
When it was used as part of puzzle solving it was good and new. But after the 10th mission where I had to fight a wave of drones it got really old
>>
>
>>344717419
well im not a pleb and mix up the pace up with story / side quest/ open world activity / story / etc
>>
>>344716794
All that busywork to get to him should've cemented the fact that it was going to a shitty tank battle.
>>
>>344717172
But you still do all of those things. I will acquiesce that the early mainline missions are quite Batmobile heavy, and I do understand why some people wouldn't like that, but you always have the option of doing a few side missions if the car is frustrating. I treated the Batmobile as an extension of Batman's body.
>>
File: Would you say, 10 million.jpg (300 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Would you say, 10 million.jpg
300 KB, 1920x1080
>>344717352
>You went to youtube to see someone else fight The Riddler?
I've already beaten the fucker, twice. Same with Scarecrow, he expects me to take him seriously as Hugo Strange 2.0 when in reality I left him with a concussion back on Arkham Island.

He didn't beat anyone, I broke out my waifu and conquered the real threat and left the autistic son of a bitch alone with his boy/girl robots in his little cave. There's no satisfaction to be had if it means putting up with hours of shit game design.
>>
File: 1457755611584.jpg (40 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
1457755611584.jpg
40 KB, 500x421
>the batmobile blows up
>oh my fuck thank you no more tank shit, now i can actually play the game
>fox calls you up moments minutes later and says "ayy lmao i made another one"
>>
>>344716909
>city's better story
no
>level design
lol no because it doesn't know how to properly utilize the open world. It has the worst hands down
>bosses
they aren't memorable like Riddler, Bane or Deathstroke in the other 3. Freeze was shit, solomon grundy was shit there was no challenge provided in these bosses

this is the most reddit post i've seen in a while
>>
>>344716909
>proceeds to declare which game is best
>only watched it on youtube
>no im not a r-r-r-redditor guys
>>
Origins>Knight>City=Asylum
>>
>>344719345
>asylum
>not on top
>>
>>344718902
>Freeze was shit
Up until this point I was actually going to offer you counterpoints.

But now, I don't care. Fuck you, you contrarian piece of shit. Fuck you and your kind, fuck everyone who think that Knight isn't the worst game in the trilogy, fuck you for even making me engage someone who only knows how to counter superior opinions with HURR DURR REDDIT.

Peace
>>
>>344715512
the stealth sections were really good, unfortunately most of them were confined to side stuff and the batmobile was dogshit
Jason Todd being Arkham Knight was predictable and expected but also underwhelming and he was just a whiny little bitch the whole time
it ended in a really odd way
>>
>>344715590
Why because you can't drive for shit?
>>
>>344718902
>lol no because it doesn't know how to properly utilize the open world.
neither does Arkham Knight, it forces you to be in the batmobile all the time.
>>
>>344715512
Pic unrelated
>>
>>344719810
>use the exact same stealth mechanics you used on the last room but this time it's slightly harder (if you are shit at the game)
HOLY SHIT INNOVATIVE AND ICONIC
>>
My only real issue with Knight is how shit the DLC is.
>>
>>344720193
>no the level design is shit because it has a batmobile
that's not level design you dipshit
. giving the player more than one way to travel, fluid transitions between the main quest and side quests and combining the exterior and interior, all of this working fluidly makes it better than a linear game that just forces you to go across a useless visual reference
>>
>Battle Zone: Batman Edition

Fucking atrocious. Worse that they somehow made it even easier and spoonfed you everything throughout the game worse than previous entries.

Asylum > Origins> City > Knight

>>344715590
By far.

>>344715782
They definitely do, even a shitty story and they managed to do a decent job. Plot holes and all. I give them credit as it's due but still a bad game.

>>344716204
>This one wasn't even written by Dini though

Not a negative. Dini's "Joker, Joker, and more Joker" isn't really needed yet again. At least there was an actual villain aside from Joker this game.
>>
>>344715512
Keep telling yourself that boylover
>>
>>344716204
Dini has always been garbage tho. People only jerk him off because he wrote for BTAS. His actual stories are usually shit. Just like the ones he did for AA and City.
>>
>>344721034
He had a great episode with Ivy and almost all others were garbage Joker stories.
>>
>>344721034
>Dini has always been garbage tho
wew, I can smell the contrainism from other side of my screen
>>
>>344719768
>asylum
>tied for last where it belongs

Setting can only carry you so far when the other games do everything better.
>>
File: TheScarecrow-Arkham_Knight.jpg (130 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
TheScarecrow-Arkham_Knight.jpg
130 KB, 960x960
Just finished this for the first time a few days ago and it's easily the worst of the series. It suffers a lot from being an unnecessary "might as well make it a trilogy" kind of game, and is accordingly overstuffed with a bunch of new combos, gadgets and mechanics that don't need to be there and just make the controls a big ol' clusterfuck. The story is stupid too, especially the ending (and yes, I'm talking about the 100% Knightfall ending). It had a lot of laugh-out-loud moments in it too, from the OH SHIT THE BATMOBILE BLEW UP GUESS I BETTER BRING IN THE BACKUP to the ridiculously drawn-out WHO IS THE MYSTERIOUS ARKHAM KNIGHT shit to the Riddler's hilarious powerlifter mech and the ludicrous first-person Joker finale.

On the plus side, it looked gorgeous and despite rolling my eyes at the contrived efforts to include the Joker in it I did enjoy the psychological effects that emerge throughout, like seeing his face on billboards and statues for a second until you look back and he's gone; that was the only element I would remotely call "subtle" about the game and it worked well. Altogether City and Asylum still reign supreme but I suppose they could've done worse.
>>
>>344721648
>it's a redditor hates good games thread
>>
OP you're a fag

Knight is the worst Arkham game, even worse than Origins
>>
>>344721720
I thought Joker coming back was stupid but I won't lie, I thought he was done very well.
>>
>>
>>344721863
>its a I can't refute his points poster

Just calling it like it is.
>>
File: 4120735-1244286353-13916.gif (561 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
4120735-1244286353-13916.gif
561 KB, 625x626
>>344721945
>>
>>344722019
I got up to the point where you have to defend yourself at a gas station (early game) and the game glitched out and I couldn't progress.

Is it worth playing to the end?
>>
>>344722019
gave me serious motion sickness... way too much bob.
>>
>>344722052
>implying it's the setting that made that game fantastic
it wasn't even batman that made it god tier you retard
>>
File: BatmanHero.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
BatmanHero.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>344721945
Of course it is. Origins is the best one.
>>
>>344722076
yes it is, the shitty tank is awful, shoved down your throat all the time, it has no bosses, unless you count Jason Todd's stealth encounter as one.

Instead of boss fights, enjoy tank boss battles, if the game already didn't force you to play this garbage enough :^)
>>
File: Borderlands2boxart3.jpg (74 KB, 250x360) Image search: [Google]
Borderlands2boxart3.jpg
74 KB, 250x360
While I do hate a lot of the shoehorned political crap later on with the expansions/Pre-Sequel, I thought the game itself was pretty fun and a improvement over the first game.

It just sucks that Gearbox is a scumbag company and A.B. did so much damage to the writing of the game.
>>
>>344722185
>Origins is the best one
I'm curious to see if I agree, I plan on going through it and Asylum pretty soon. I like the idea of playing a young Batman.
>>
>>344715512
Arkham knoght was fucking horrible, ive played all of them and i couldnt finish this one
>>
>>344722309
I liked the concept of Origins and there was a few things here and there in the story I liked, but the game itself really did a poor job of making me feel like a inexperienced batman. The story itself is pretty crap for the most part, and can be ignored.
>>
>>344718892
My exact same thoughts. "maybe they'll try to make Batman deal with stuff without this battankmobile for once"
>>
>>344722084
I didn't play it until after patch 1.3 when all the major bugs were fixed

but no the story is still nothing to write home about. If you don't enjoy the combat and exploration then don't bother, you're not missing out on any story. People say it's the worst thing ever because of the trailer hype, so when I bought it I was pleasantly surprised at how fun the gameplay itself was

>>344722151
I'll give you that, the movement controls are pretty floaty
>>
>>344722267
I'm with you anon, BL2 was fucking fun despite some of the writing at times. I wish gearbox would hire someone with good ideas on boss/raid boss design to make the end game fights a little more enjoyable.
>>
>>344722156
>Strawmanning this hard
Seem to be dancing around supposedly what made the game so great.
>>
The latest patch fixed the PC version, it's now at 60fps.
>>
>>344722267
nevermind the memes, the guns of all borderlands games feel really shitty to use, this coupled with shitty enemy scaling and awful AI pretty much seals the deal on the series
>>
I would have liked an Arkham game where it was about the end of Bruce and Dicks partnership, that could have been an interesting game.
>>344722441
>the game itself really did a poor job of making me feel like an inexperienced batman
That's disappointing to hear since that was the biggest pull to purchasing it.
>>
File: 80485_front.jpg (131 KB, 640x901) Image search: [Google]
80485_front.jpg
131 KB, 640x901
look, I get it. It's not a Banjo-Threeie, it's not a 3d platformer.

but the game itself was fun as fuck
>>
>>344715512
The ending sucked balls it's a bad combination of The Dark Knight Rises and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
>>
>>344722609
3D castlevania game with great stealth and fighting mechanics
you seem to be dancing around what made knight fantastic
>>
>>344722245
>it has no bosses
Aren't they add some bosses in DLC? Infamous season or something?

>>344722441
>but the game itself really did a poor job of making me feel like a inexperienced batman
They actually did it by screwing up battle system (fucking kicks, you have about 1 sec window to counter them). But it is OK, original batman was too overpowered.
Also there are actually good level up system with lot of restrictions and findable upgrades, so for first half of game you pretty limited in you abilities (until you get electogloves).
And good Bane. Fuck you Rocksteady for that shumaher-tier shit in asylum and city, thank god whoever made origins for good explanation of his later retardness.
>>
>>344722869
I had so much fun building vehicles and driving them around the test track online with friends
>>
File: 1462856975009.jpg (15 KB, 235x212) Image search: [Google]
1462856975009.jpg
15 KB, 235x212
>gotta collect a 300 fucking trophys to fight the riddler

WHY
>>
>>344721989
With the exception of the retarded playable Joker sequence at the end, I agree.

>Press Square to activate The Killing Joke
>>
>>344723040
>fighting/stealth mechanics

Combat/stealth/bosses/batmobile/story/joker etc. were all done way better in arkham knight. Is it a surprise? No but thats why asylum is on the bottom.
>>
>>344715590

City > Knight > Asylum > Origins
>>
>>344716616

Arkham combat system is more fun than Spider-Man 2, and i like both.
>>
>>344722309
It's a great game and a time that's sadly under explored. Although you're pretty fit as a crimefighter, very little makes you feel inexperienced. Best writing of the series by far. Unfortunately, the buggiest of the games with a tweaked combat system that makes it worse. Also a lot of copy and paste from City. Lots of new enemies really vary the game up, as does the use of rarely seen villains. Still the best one in my opinion as the good trumps the bad by a longshot.
>>
>>344722869

This nigga gets it.

PC port when?
>>
>>344715975
the tank thing was fine at first but 10 hours in you were still doing constant tank battles and they weren't fun

I still enjoyed the game overall though
>>
>>344715512
Best superhero franchise. I was a fan of Knight and the Batmobile even though City was better, but Asylum takes the cake.
>>
>>344716368
They cant, their fucking retarded. You can find a hot slut to suck a dick easier than an intellectual debate
>>
>>344715512
It was decent but a huge letdown especially if you played it on PC.
The Batmobile was a good addition and fun at times but they force you to use it so much its actually responsible for ruining the game. If they took the Batmobile out completely and actually had decent stages with good boss battles it'd be the best in the series, instead its the worst.
>>
my biggest issue with Knight is how it won't let you use the other batmobiles until you finish all the side shit up to defeating Deathstroke, so I can really only use the movie ones at the very end.
>>
File: flatpepe.jpg (102 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flatpepe.jpg
102 KB, 600x800
>>344715512
mfw enjoyed tank battles
>>
>>344725939

>If they took the Batmobile out completely

Nah, just rid off combat mode (aka tank mode). Batmobile was a must have for the final game of the series (i hope isn't actually the final).
>>
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING WITH THE FUCKMOBILE SHIT
>>
>>344727210

Me too, in a videogame perspective, as they were fun. But they were so out of place for a Batman game, i think.
>>
>>344721720
Funny. I actually dropped it yesterday, shortly after Ivy killed herself.

A lot of the campaign feels like pointless filler, which gets to be frustrating and the tank segments really weren't doing it any favors. The sidequests are interesting but in many cases are completely anticlimactic (Pyg, Azrael). At least I finally got to see glorious Manbat.
>>
>>344723720

Riddler has severe undiagnosed autism. Not even batman calls him on that shit, other than saying he has OCD.
>>
File: unoitstru.jpg (9 KB, 300x179) Image search: [Google]
unoitstru.jpg
9 KB, 300x179
>>344715512
>>
>>344727210

Destroying drones with one shot feels great.

>>344727563

Pyg was anticlimatic to you?. I tought it was great.
>>
>>344727775
with how many shots you want to destroy 50 drones? especially some of them like diamondback will need more shots

also goat soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDWw5VQYYUw
>>
>>344722518
Starting off, I switched off the lifeboats and indicators and shit. It made the game fairly tense early on like the trailer advertised, but eventually you level up and it becomes a fun little action game like you described.

There are a lot of games that do this, now that I think of it. Early on, titles like Mad Max and TReboot really captured the feeling of survival and scarcity before just dropping what made them interesting and going all out with random explosions and cinematic kills.

Recently, TLoU and Ayylien have so far been the only games I've played that actually keep the odds against you throughout the campaigns
>>
>>344719345
City > Asylum >>>>>>> Origins >>>>>>>>> Knight
>>
>>344727761
I agree. After the patches I felt like this was the truest assassin game in the series except for AC1. Shame about the broken release.
>>
>>344727775
I'm not a fan of Batman to begin with. I played the series purely out of enjoyment for the games. Maybe Pyg is more significant to you, but after solving a string of brutal murders and finding where the killer resides, I was pretty let down by the final confrontation with an opera singing Mickey Rourke.

Looking back, it was all really like a comic book adaptation of Nip/Tuck
>>
>>344722869
I just can't get over the feeling of watching the promo material for the first time.

Shit hurt
>>
Fear Takedowns were rad as fuck. Admit it, /v/.
>>
If it weren't for the batmobile people would say it's the best one. I really liked the batmobile sections but it got excessive especially towards the end when you have to fight the Arkham Knights tank.

I love them all but favorite story is a tie between City and Knight. Biased towards Knight because of Scarecrow being my favorite Bamham villian but dat Clayface dupe in City was god tier. On top of what comes next.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (395 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
395 KB, 1920x1080
>>344727563
I agree about the filler, but if anything I would say the sidequests epitomize that problem. They are all pretty much "remember that initial mission you did in the course of the story? Just do that like 5 more times". It's incredibly lazy game design and ends up just being boring and tedious. The Penguin weapons caches are boring copy-pastes of the first one just like the Deathstroke battle is a copy-paste of the Arkham Knight tank battle just like the Man-Bat sidequest is the same fucking thing four times over.

In Arkham City I 100%ed the game because I wanted to, because the sidequests felt purposefully developed and compelling. In this one it was definitely more of an obligation I had to force myself through.

>>344728718
They were pretty cool to look at but the twitchy button prompts to initiate them left a bad taste in my mouth.
>>344729035
>I love them all but favorite story is a tie between City and Knight. Biased towards Knight because of Scarecrow being my favorite Bamham villian but dat Clayface dupe in City was god tier.
See, I agree in the sense that I fockin love me some Scarecrow (and his design in Knight is boss as fuck), but that's why it pissed me off that much more when they blow him off at the end in favour of LOL JOKER HALLUCINATIONS. And since Clayface is another one of my favourite B-man villains, this is just another way City proves itself to be the better game.
>>
I actually loved the batmobile race segments, it was pretty badass riding on that thing. The tank segments though really overstayed their welcome.

Also was really dissapointes in the side-quests, Hush in particular. He was so hyped up in City and in Knight it's obvious that RS didn't know what to do with him.

"""Bossfights""'' were trash, but overall I'd still give it a solid 7/10 for refined gameplay alone. It's painful to come back to the previous games after Knight
>>
>>344727293
I don't think they'll ever leave the series alone, I expect it to get milked honestly since there's still money in it.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.