[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to play a Metal Slug game Which one should I play? Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Metal_Slug_(cover).jpg (35 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Slug_(cover).jpg
35 KB, 316x316
I want to play a Metal Slug game

Which one should I play?
Which version/port of that is considered best?
>>
play all of them they take an hour and a half at most and you can use unlimited credits on most ports
although if i had to pick favorites id say play 3
>>
>>344697673
Make sure to play with an arcade stick and with a CRT for that neo geo experience byy.
>>
File: metal slug Bigshiee.gif (292 KB, 271x208) Image search: [Google]
metal slug Bigshiee.gif
292 KB, 271x208
>>344697673
Advance is a possible way to start but because of the life meter its an huge difficulty spike to try to get in the first games after that.
>>
Start at 1 and work your way to all of them.
Beware that X and 3 are nearly the same game.
>>
Thanks for the replies

even if the games are short right now i'd rather just play one

Looks like i'll buy the Steam port of 3 then

>>344699130
I've got the stick but no crt
maybe I can find one lying around somewhere
>>
>>344699130
Can I get some opinions on what stick to buy? I don't play fighting games.

The Wii virtual console ports of Metal Slug seem good to me (240p on a crt, unlike the locked 480i disc-based collection) and you get component video easily. BUT buying a stick just for wii/gamecube seems dumb as fuck.

Maybe the PS1 ports are good
>>
>>344697673
>Which one should I play?
1, it's the easiest and best one to learn how to play.
Pick medium difficulty and try 1 credit run (don't worry about using save and replaying the same missions hard parts to learn how to not die), everyone can do it with very little training.
>Which version/port of that is considered best?
Just emulate the arcade version (you can also overclock the machine to reduce the original slow-downs).
>>344699130
It's way easier with a gamepad desu (especially for very quick actions and taking aim with the slugs).
>>344699479
You mean 2 and X (and the different enemy placements and weapons really do change things).
>>
>>344699806
>Looks like i'll buy the Steam port of 3 then
Everyone seems to love 3, but I feel it's really the least Metal Sluggish of the Metal Slugs, especially due to the heavy focus on traditional shump sections.
It's also one of the hardest in the series, it's a nightmare to 1cc it even for hardcore arcade gamers.
By the way, you can safely avoid anything released after 3, they are mostly just re-used assets from the first 3 games re-arranged by different new staffs.
MS1 and MS2 is where the real magic is for me.
Most beautiful 2D games ever made, even MS3 already dropped the ball with backgrounds and new enemies when compared to those.
>>
3 is the best. if your play one metal slug game, play 3.
>>
>>344697673
Honestly, just port the arcade/MVS versions. But if you like like saving and choosing missions freely, then go with the AES versions.

Metal Slugs 1-3 are perfect, so you can play them no worries. 4/5/6 are great but have their own issues. 7/XX is pretty great if you feel like emulating DS/PSP. Advance is ok.
>>
>>344699806
>Looks like i'll buy the Steam port of 3 then
DONT
Its just a shitty NeoGeo emulator with a ROM and some custom menus
its shit, and it lags like hell because of the shitty emulator

if you want to play on PC just get the ROM yourself and a decent emulator
>but I want to support the creators
All the original devs do not work at SNK anymore, neither does the old SNK that made that game exist in some shape or form, all the profits goes to a chinese and korean company that made the port to PC
>>
>>344701404
Dotemu is French and SNK does get money, but yeah, every Nazca developer already left ages ago.
>>
>>344701404
Alright, i'll look into emulating first
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.