[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting deadly premonition soon, anything I should know? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: fym.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fym.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
Starting deadly premonition soon, anything I should know?
Is it really the b-movie cliches masterpiece people say it is ?
>>
>>344642614
>Is it really the b-movie cliches masterpiece people say it is ?

I don't think that's what they were going for.. It's a murder mystery heavily inspired by Twin Peaks. And it's extremely Japanese.

Put it this way, if it was the same director but an experienced team with a budget this game would be 10/10.
>>
Prepared to be disappointed, probably. The game is only good for it's cutscenes, because they're funny. The entire rest of the game is boring as fuck
>>
Its twin peaks

everything except the combat sections are excellent

combat sections are atrociously bad
>>
>>344642904
I played it and was not dissappointed. The mystery was interesting enough to keep me going and finish the game
>>
I like Twin peaks a lot but this game is a piece of shit. The cutscenes are ok but have fun driving for 10 minutes from one town end to another and checking the map every 10 seconds to find out if you're on the right track.
>>
>>344643243
thats pretty fun actually

you have shit taste mate
>>
>>344642614
If you're playing on PC, be prepared to not actually be able to play at all and spend six hours in futility trying to get it to run.
>>
>>344642614
Try not to run out of gas.
>>
>>344642614
It's a game that you should never take seriously not even for a second.
Because if you think that it's a joke/parody game then you are going to laugh everything off.
If you take it seriously then you will just get mad as fuck and start swearing before dropping it
>>
>>344643321
I swear I'm a wizard, because I installed DPfix, then never had a single problem the rest of my playthrough, beyond a single missing triangle of graphics, like that glitch you get a lot on PCSX2.
>>
File: 1466817820695.gif (931 KB, 291x355) Image search: [Google]
1466817820695.gif
931 KB, 291x355
You should know that the combat is pretty fucking bad--not unmanageable or difficult, just tedious.

>>344643243
I liked the driving segments. They were relaxing and gave me time to digest the weird shit that was happening. Until the dogs appear.
>>
>>344643402
You're just lucky. I had to use six different workarounds to get nine hours of playtime, and then it gave up entirely.
>>
>>344643394
I don't know about all that.
I definitely laughed a lot of things off, but I think some degree of emotional investment is necessary to make playing the game worthwhile. You just kind of have to accept how surreal the plot, setting, and characters are.
>>
Get out before someone spoils you that Emily is best girl.
>>
>>344642614
If you're looking for a masterpiece this isn't it.

But this isn't a case of Drakengard or Pathologic where it's a completely shit, unfun game driven by ultimately superficial elements either.

What Deadly Premonition is a dialogue and mystery-driven game that's marred by terrible SFX and egregious technical performance that still in quite a few ways looks like a PS2 game. Since it began life as one.

It's not "so bad it's good" and it's not "a hidden masterpiece", it's just somewhere inbetween. A cozy little niche, comfortable and sleeping.

If you're tech-savvy and don't mind everything sounding like a BB gun, go for it.
>>
>>344643243
You can get fast travel early in the game via a side quest
>>
It has the most straight faced and well delivered rape joke in any medium of the past 15 years.
>>
>>344642614
It's a fine game. Not great, but definitely enjoyable. Try not to let the first part of the game discourage you though, since the opening is arguably the very worst part.
>>
>>344642614
PLAY IT WITH COMBAT ON EASY

You don't want to waste your time on the combat sections. You want to explore the town and solve the mistery, that's where the game shines.
>>
>>344644747
Shit I forgot, when was this?
>>
>>344642989
this
>>
Get the magnum, the infinite submachine gun and the guitar as soon as you can. Do George's quest for fast travel too.

I had to watch the Endurance run while playing it, because i couldn't stand long sessions of it, specially ones involving the other world.
And the last chapters are pretty much a long other world segment. Still, the cutscenes were cool, and even after being spoiled on a lot of stuff i was still surprised by some other. Very interesting set pieces as well.
>>
OP here, started the game with DPfix, it instantly worked so that's cool.
2 mins in and squirrels make monkey sounds

I dont know whats happening
>>
>>344650479
How do I get the guitar and all ? I got george's lifts but not fast travel ahah.
No idea what the otherworld is, but if it involves something else than this chill countryside town im going to be sad
>>
Anyone have the infographic for playing this beast on pc?
>>
>>344644747
What was it?
>>
File: 20160520223652_1.jpg (159 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160520223652_1.jpg
159 KB, 1920x1080
>>344642614
>>
File: deadly premonition pc.jpg (2 MB, 1524x3993) Image search: [Google]
deadly premonition pc.jpg
2 MB, 1524x3993
>>
>>344642614
Play it on easy, get the police radio asap.

Have fun, it's wonderful.
>>
>>344653135
based anon, thank you
>>
>>344642989
The driving is bad too
>>
>>344642756
This. If there was a remake, pretty much just fixing the controls, this would be my all time favourite game.
>>
Nothing wrong with the combat and driving after you spend 15 minutes learning them, ignore the kids who were born after the 90's and hate everything that is not Battlefield of Duty control scheme.
>>
>>344651989
There's another quest george gives you. Go his house after work and talk to him. You have to get him a flower. Then he will give you a radio.
Grab ALL the bones too, there are seven, and only then talk to Kaysen, not before, to get the infinite magnum that will help you a lot. Also buy and complete the first spiritual map.
For the guitar tou need to do Lily's quests. One per chapter.
>>
>>344653029
thanks doc
>>
>>344642614
>anything I should know?
You don't get a game over if you miss a deadline.
>>
I couldn't get through it, the gameplay was just bad. I am sad about it though, I loved the cutscenes and the atmosphere.
>>
>>344642614
Combats not honestly as bad as everyone says, just a very uninteresting re4 ripoff. Though if you're playing the orginal Xbox version for some reason you should play on easy.
>>
Last time I listened to /v/ regarding an "underappreciated gem" I ended up playing Nier. It wasn't absolute shit, but it's really overrated over here.
>>
>>344652978
>>344647571
I think he means that one part where York discusses his past cases while Thomas, George and Emily just look like they're about to vomit
>>
>>344642614

Yes.

>anything I should know?

PC version crashes really often (even still if you "fix" it). Save as often as you can.
>>
>>344642614
This is the game where the soundtrack was done by one man with a Kazoo
>>
>>344642614

No. It's a garbage game that was universally panned on release because it's vomit

/v/ decided to like it in order to be contrarian/hip/cool.

The game has no value. A bunch of scenes of retarded, stilted dialogue that you can pretend are soooooo funny and kooky!
>>
https://youtu.be/rzvXBFwcyek
https://youtu.be/fxSujfA-FLE
>>
>>344658827

It's one track and it's amazing. Rest of the soundtrack is also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvXBFwcyek
>>
forrest kaysen did nothing wrong
>>
>>344658987

It's amazing if you like Twin Peaks and Japanese games.
>>
>>344642614
It's Twin Peaks: The Videogame with shitty gameplay and an extra healthy dash of Japanese bizzarness (especially towards the end). Take that as you will.
>>
Play it on Easy, the combat isn't good so it'll make things less of a hassle.

Rest of the game is pretty enjoyable.
Felt real sad when I beat it.
>>
>>344659128
it's amazing if you force yourself to like it. twin peaks isn't based on horrible japanesey writing.
>>
File: 71tJXIb4xYL._SL1500_.jpg (109 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71tJXIb4xYL._SL1500_.jpg
109 KB, 1500x1500
>>344659365
>it's amazing if you force yourself to like it
>>
>>344659365

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.