[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Verdun Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 1024x576
>"You can't make trench warfare fun!"

Well?
>>
The only thing this game needs is a bigger community tbf
>>
>>344637424

wth those guys aren't even black
>>
>>344637424
Much shittier copy of Red Orchestra.
>>
>>344637424
the only thing is my toaster can't run it.
>>
>Gun has three shots
>Can't be reloaded mid-clip

France is shit tier army. Fucking retards.
>>
>>344637424
It's okay. I just don't like how aiming down sights and reloading is slow as fuck. It's like no one told the soldiers they're in a war.
>>
My only problem is it feels stiff.
It's just not quite as satisfying as AAA games.
>>
>>344637424
Its nothing like trench warfare. Literally as inaccurate as Battlefield 1, probably more so with the lack of bullet drop and vehicles.
>>
>>344637658

Three quarter of the casualties were the result of artillery, most of the rest machine gun, hence why France won the fight against Germany.
>>
>>344637826
>more so
Come on now, it's not accurate but it's definitely more accurate than BF1
>>
>>344637424

Verdun isn't that fun though and the Unity Engine is crap for shooters or at least noone ever developed a shooter with good gunplay on it. They would have been better off developing it on Source.
>>
>>344637658
The vast majority of French soldiers had the Lebel.

Eight round magazine.
>>
>>344637424
Wow they're already making BF1 ripoffs lol
>>
>>344638638

Tubular magazine though, not nearly as effective as the Mauser five round stripper clip. Moreover that thing was almost as long as I'm tall with a bayonnet on it. "182cm"
>>
>>344638103
The only thing that's accurate here is the bullshit guns in Verdun. These things were basically on the level of muskets, and in Verdun they're fucking sniper rifles.

The whole point of WWI was mobility outclassed armaments. It was much easier to move than it was to shoot. The whole point of the trenches and no man's land was to bog down troops so they could shoot them.
>>
>>344638853

>These things were basically on the level of muskets

Lol wutt?
>>
>>344638853
>literally wrong about everything

Holy shit dude

>the Mauser K98 and Springfield 1903 were like muskets
>not still being used as sniper rifles today
>>
>>344638801
It was designed in an age of counter cavalry tactics originally created in Napoleonic era.

Why have a pike when you can hve both a rifle and a pike

Thats why British rifles of the era had a much longer bayonet to make them the same length as a musket with a bayonet to allow squares of men to be effective no matter what the unit was
>>
The game feels unpolished as fuck and the squad system is garbage. It feels like a poor mans RO2.
>>
>>344639003
>literally wrong about everything
>literally using hyperbole

Just because he might seem a bit off on one of the points, doesn't invalidate everything he said you cretin.
>>
>Want to use the BAR
>Don't want to look like a faggot boy scout

Suffering
>>
>>344638853

>8mm Lebel, still super sonic at 1000m
>level of a musket

Shut ur mouth and leave /v/ forever.
>>
>>344639148
>a bit off on one of the points

Saying the rifles of the Great War were on the level of muskets is not a bit off, it's completely untrue.
>>
>>344639148
>referring to yourself in the third person
>a bit off

The whole point of World War I was that armaments outstripped mobility, not the other way around.

Rifles were so accurate, and machine guns put such a volume of lead anywhere you wanted, that movement in sight of the enemy equalled death. The armies of WW1 didn't build trenches to slow down troops, they did it to stay alive, because moving outside of the trenches invited instant death.

Tactics, however, did not catch up with armament technology, so the first couple years of the war were an increasing bloodbath as generals kept trying Napoleonic War advances into the mouth of said machine guns.

So, no, the rifles were so accurate that a century plus later they're still being used for sniping, and movement stopped because the weaponry was so deadly. Aka, literally as wrong as it's possible to be.
>>
>>344638853

I've seen my fair share of retards on 4chan. But wew lad, you are fucking retarded.
>>
Why are the Canadians in the game but not the Bedouins?

There isn't a single battle or location where the Canadians were even slightly relevant. The Harlem Hellfighters did more than those British lapdogs.
>>
File: trollbump.jpg (67 KB, 388x296) Image search: [Google]
trollbump.jpg
67 KB, 388x296
>>344639552
>There isn't a single battle or location where the Canadians were even slightly relevant.
>>
>>344639552
>what is vimy ridge
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 800x533
>>344639473
>Guns were super accurate guise!

Why was this motherfucker so popular? Why did the Germans literally call using a trench shotgun a war crime because it was so deadly?

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>344639637
>one battle after everyone else did the work
>>
>>344639782
nice b8
you can't use a bolt rifle in vcqc (very close quarter combat)
>>
>>344639552

You're right. I think the dev is racist. No Zouaves, No Senegalese Tirailleurs, No Indians, not even woman Bedouins. Game should be banned from Steam and the devs incarcerated until they pledge to show more diversity in the Great War.

Sly though, we give European developers tax cuts for showing a more diverse view of European history but those fascist racist devs voluntarily turn down money so they can push their racist view of European history.

I'm feeling sick right now, gotta make sure this game ain't on my wife afro america son's steam account. I already pre ordered BF1 for the both of us.
>>
i dont like verdun at all. it feels like it tries to be a RO type of game but with cod gameplay. if you see an enemy he is dead
>>
>>344639782
>why were hand-to-hand weapons and shotguns effective for close-in fighting rather than swinging around a 3 1/2 foot rifle that is accurate to 900 yards

You forgot bayonets
>>
>>344639782
Trench clubs weren't exactly popular for very long, they were replaced by far better melee options.
But for your dipshit question, rate of fire is a problem with bolt action
>>
>>344639884
>Shotgun literally called the Trench Gun
>"WWI was about snipers"

Dude, you can cry bait all you like, but facts are facts. Explosives, blade shovels, shotguns, gas. Everything was developing around cqc. No amount of R&D was devoted to new rifles, because the war was an up close and brutal war. They used fucking Calvary dude.
>>
>>344639974
It's good to top-frag for a couple rounds, at the very least.

>>344640145
>no R&D was devoted to new rifles
>in a time where there were so many abomination prototypes being developed, with plenty of major countries working towards semi-auto and full auto rifles
/k/ pls go, this b8 is too good to be from a nogunz
>>
>>344640145
>Calvary
> No amount of R&D was devoted to new rifles

Ok, you got me. Well trolled
>>
>>344640297
Walking fire was for mid range engagements, not long distance exchanges.
>>
>>344640145
you are moving the goal post

this post was about how 'lol guns weren't accurate they used this cudgel' >>344639782

and now you are saying that everything was about cqc
it's untrue
but a whole of the 'important' fighting was about not losing your trench to people who made it past barrage fire

so yeah duh some thought was put into hand to hand death implements
>>
>>344638853

hory sheet
>>
>>344640297
Automatics were too inaccurate for long range attacks, then were used defensively and in trench storming. A lowie gun could now down brits running across barbed wire, but not if they're across no man's land for example.

I'm not /k/, guns are banned in my country. I just like European history and warfare.
>>
>>344638853
>The whole point of WWI was mobility outclassed armaments

lmao
yeah, mobility was super effective, that's why entire armies bunkered down in trenches for four fucking years
>>
>>344641091
So they could slow down supply chains retard.

>"Wow, there certainly are a lot of underwater mines, guess submarines are ineffective."

Literally what?
>>
It is an alright game, but should take mechanics from RO
>>
Verdun is in many ways a worse Red Orchestra, borrowing many of its problems and leaving out the good parts.
First off, the weapon handling is shit. You'd think that a WW1 game would try to convey the feeling of wielding a weapon as huge and ungainly as the Lebel or G98, but it doesn't. They aren't all too different to carbines. In addition it has crosshairs and a shitty cone of fire system when hipshooting, so what you have is 2004-tier shooting mechanics but with irons.
Movement is also crap. It doesn't even have lean. Again it feels awfully outdated.
The worst part is the trench warfare related mechanics. There's some seriously pathetic shit there, like when you try to go a bit further forward to get a better firing position, only to hear DESERTERS WILL BE SHOT. That's some seriously shit game design right there.

I would want a WW1 shooter to be about surviving the ordeals of trench warfare. Trying to get past MGs in No Man's Land. Hand-to-hand combat in the trenches. Verdun instead feels like a shitty TDM game.
>>
>>344640145
>Explosives, blade shovels, shotguns, gas. Everything was developing around cqc.

can you even get any more retarded?
WW1 was an artillery war above all else. defensive weaponry like machine guns made attacking an entrenched enemy nigh impossible, so most of the time the armies sat in their trenches and had their artillery shoot barrage after barrage of shells towards the enemy. around 80% of casualties on the battlefield came from artillery fire, the rest mostly from machine guns and rifle fire.
cqc was the absolute last resort - machine guns and rifles mowed down like 70% of the attacking infantry before they reached your trench, the remaining few that got into your trench were taken care of with bayonets and trench guns.
>>
>>344641490
this is exactly how i feel. you should post this into the steam forums because i tried to say the same thing but less articulated and they act like im wrong. was trying to be really nice too
>>
>>344641490
I don't think Verdun is a bad game, but you're right.
It started out as a unity browser game and I don't think it ever left that behind enough.
If they made a Verdun 2 I'd play it, I think,
>>
>>344637424
I like it, but it has problems.

>only 16v16
Doesn't feel intense enough. Nobody should feel like a squad of heroes opposed to masses of noname fuckers making massed dashes so only some can get across. Instead you have a handful of commando dudes crawling around the extreme flanks of the map, waiting to respawn before they crawl into the capture zone.

>hitscan guns
Probably the worst thing about it. Point and click adventure, no balistics or bullet drop... every gun is just a laser. Which is silly since the devs put in effort to make reloading semi-realistic.

>no friendly fire
I might get flak for this one, but friendly fire should be a thing in the game. This would kill the tempo of the game slightly, since as it sits it's too quick. It would also reward timed arty strikes instead of people just spamming them as soon as they're off cooldown. Kinda kills the immersion of artillery being the god of war when after a while you find out that have the arty is yours and doesn't hurt you.
>>
>>344642149
As the guy who posted this
>>344641490
I fully agree with you
>>
I think the consensus is that while it's been dressed up very nicely, at the core it's still that browser unity game.

I want to see a sequel that's done properly as a real game.
>>
>>344638638
An 8 round tube magazine though. Most soldiers didn't bother to load the tube and just used it as a single shot rifle.
>>
I had more fun in WW1 Source than Verdung, it's like they copied CoD gunplay and movement and gave it a WW1 paintjob and all the mechanics that are actually unique to it (Squad system, Frontlines mode) are horrible and feel like they were designed without much thought and are only there for the sake of being unique.

>WW1 Source 2.0 never
>no updates on The Trench 1916 for 1.5 years now
>>
File: verdun.png (26 KB, 269x113) Image search: [Google]
verdun.png
26 KB, 269x113
I bought on sale long time ago.
Pretty good for its own price then (around 2-3 euros I believe).

>no ballistics
I'm sure they implemented it. I would need to test it with someone on Flanders map, because it has huge no mans land.

>>344641490
>I would want a WW1 shooter to be about surviving the ordeals of trench warfare.
Isn't it somewhat? I've got quite a struggle to run through the no mans land. You can hear the MG hitting the ground around you or see the grenade landing in the hole. Worst case, artillery will take care of that.

>>344642149
That's what you get if teams don't spread out. Lack of communication just make it worse.
>>
>>344638853
>These things were basically on the level of muskets
Majority of armies fighing during WW1 used the same rifles during WW2. With the exception being Americans(who adopted M1 Garand) and French(who partially used WW1 rifles and partially new MAS 36 which would be cool surplus rifles if not for special snowflake ammunition) and the fact that majority of nations produced shorter variants of their rifles by the time the war started.

The action on Mauser produced in 1900 is the same as it was in 1945 same goes for Lee Enfields or Mosins.
>>
Shitty unlock system.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.