[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck was his problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 12
File: Handsome Jack.jpg (536 KB, 1200x1408) Image search: [Google]
Handsome Jack.jpg
536 KB, 1200x1408
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
Bandit scum
>>
File: 1449341143209.png (234 KB, 538x810) Image search: [Google]
1449341143209.png
234 KB, 538x810
>>344472782
Too handspme
>>
Why does he wear the mask?
>>
File: 1467475853292.png (43 KB, 1245x324) Image search: [Google]
1467475853292.png
43 KB, 1245x324
>>344472782
Too ironic. As is the problem with all Gearbox characters.
>>
>>344472782

Jack had a hard life.
>>
>>344472782
Lillith being a cunt
>>
>>344472782
He's a psychotic asshole that became more psychotic after getting back stabbed too many times.
>>
He was too brilliant for his own good. People were too intimidated to work with him. Everyone literally banded together to stop him even though he was just trying to do the right thing.
>>
>>344472782
Play the pre sequel and you will understand.
>>
Meriff betraying him left him with a destructive seed of paranoia that flowered with the airlocking of those Hyperion scientists, that led up to the great betrayal that completely sent him off the tracks.
>>
>>344472782
>What the fuck was his problem?

He was a meme spouting tyrant who deserved death
>>
>>344474418
>Primarily play as Lilith in BL1 because I like her playstyle and she's a qt
>BL2 comes out and she gets blacked
>Fucks everything up and almost causes the bad guy to win
>Pre-sequel comes out
>Turns out she made the bad guy in the first place
Fucking hurts, man.
>>
>>344472782
Lilith was a bandit loving whore. That's literally it, Lilith is literally the biggest reason why everything is so bad in BL2.
>>
>>344475902
>We may get to kill Lilith in BL3
This alone gives me hope for Gearbox.
>>
>>344476041
>That's literally it, Lilith is literally the biggest reason why everything is so bad in BL2.

bullshit, it was all Jack's fault
>>
>>344476041
>>344477171
There's a bit more to it than just "Jack is bad." or "Lilith is bad."
>Lilith fucked Jack up something bad, but it's clear he'd been doing some bad shit beforehand as well.
>Angel in general
>The Eye of Helios
>Using Angel in BL1
>Using cutthroat tactics to rise as high as he could in Hyperion
>He was fucked in the head, cause he wanted to be the hero, by any means necessary and then the events of PS tipped him from wanting to be the hero to simply wanting revenge
>Not just against the Vault Hunters and Lilith particularly, but also against Pandora, for leading up to all this suffering in general
>>
>>344477556
See, all Jack's fault.
>>
>>344475738

Was it really a great betrayal though? He had been showing signs of being a dick long before that and was clearly starting to get greedy for power. The reason Lilith and Roland fuck Jack over is they don't think he can be trusted with the Eye of the Beyonder as a weapon, which I was inclined to agree with. If he had simply wanted to save Elpis and prove he could lead Hyperion he'd already done it, but he wanted more.
>>
>>344477635
To claim it was "All Jack's fault" is like saying since someone else had a salad at a restaurant while you had a Filet Mignon, you should split the bill equally.
>Inb4 food analogies
This isn't a food analogy, it's an economic analogy.
>>
>>344472782

He was great in Tales from the Borderlands. Too bad Telltale is shilling out hard and we wont get a sequel in years because muh popular IPs like minecraft and capeshit
>>
>>344477992
>He was great in Tales from the Borderlands

>starts off actually agreeable, just wants to rid the planet of criminals and psychopathic bandits so it can be colonized and civilized without everyone being murdered
>for no reason he does a total 180 at the end and wants to make an evil robot army like a Saturday morning cartoon villain
I'm still pissed.
>>
>>344476041
If you hadn't caught on, none of the player characters in Borderlands are exactly great people.
>>
>>344479328

By that point he'd kind of lost his mind, it was a long time coming. He pretty much admits it when you crash helios and he talks about his daughter
>>
>>344472782
He was stuck with a planet of psychopaths who's idea of a good time involves having a pizza party while they wear flayed human faces
>>
>>344474298
but i found this sort of stuff gave the game flavor ..and kind of felt refreshing compaired to all the seriousness of other games (i have played at least at the time)
>>
>>344476994
>BL3
>after Blunderborn

KEEEEEEK

btw fuck jack i tried to like him but fucker almost killed rhys and fiona so he cant die in the hell like the lying cunt he is
>>
>>344480710

>tfw Rhys and Fiona will never become a O'Connel and Evie pair like The Mummy, raiding new lairs and falling in love
>>
He didn't seem old or mature enough to have a teenage daughter
>>
>>344481041
Maybe he adopted angel? Or Angel was his wife's daughter and he felt he had to raise her and use her for the greater good of Pandora
>>
>>344481041
Plenty of immature morons have kids, like my cousins
>>
>>344481041
He seemed like "hip CEO in his 50s" like David Sari to me.
>>
File: Tales from Jack.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tales from Jack.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
>>344472782
The road to Hell, is paved with good intentions.

Also he was a dick.
>>
File: 1341115262527.jpg (48 KB, 370x410) Image search: [Google]
1341115262527.jpg
48 KB, 370x410
>>344474231
Jack was using an (extremely hot) alien stone artifact to view his future and Lilith came out of nowhere and gave him a flying kick to the face pushing said rock artifact into his face effectively hot branding his face whit it.
>>
>>344483419
>tfw didn't crush the implant in hopes of him in the inevitable sequel

>tfw actually don't want him in the sequel because it'd just cheapen the story

I don't even know what I want
>>
>>344480282
It's okay when you're not hearing it constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdP2U_26Nik
>>
He turned the game into a war story instead of hunting fucking treasure.
>>
File: Tales from the Borderlands.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Tales from the Borderlands.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>344484971
Tales from the Borderlands in general ended at a place where I'd love to see a sequel, but I was so surprisingly satisfied with how things went that I'm kind of happy with where they left it.
>>
File: BLTPS_Jack_Face_Scarred.jpg (153 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
BLTPS_Jack_Face_Scarred.jpg
153 KB, 1280x720
Jack did literally nothing wrong

fuck Lillith
>>
>>344486175
If he did nothing wrong then how come he's dead?
>>
File: 1342148687263.jpg (79 KB, 974x1000) Image search: [Google]
1342148687263.jpg
79 KB, 974x1000
>>344472782
>inb4 Hurr Durr he was a dick...

Jack was a dick but so was every "hero" in the game. Many of which THOROUGHLY enjoyed torture,murder and cannibalism. So that theory is out the window. His(jacks) problem is bandits fucking up his plans. The bandits (aka heroes) don't want jack to turn their murderous shit hole of a planet into a thriving society with bustling cities and industry. Because they enjoy living like savages. So they systematically destroy everything the man has worked for until he completely looses his mind. Kind of like crackheads that don't want their crack den torn down and turned into strip mall so they vandalize the construction equipment at night.
TL:DR Young entrepreneur wants to bring prosperity to derelict planet filthy murderers and savages destroy his plan.
>>
>>344486513
>prosperity

did we play the same game? He wanted to fuck over the planet
>>
>>344479328
I think that he coulnnt not betray you. I think that his dogital self wa engraved with all the crazy he got afterhe got the relic punched in.
>>
>tfw you find Claptrap hilarious

STAAAAIIIIIIRRRRRRRSSSSS?!!?!?!?
>>
>>344486631
By building cities and infrastructure? Because if thats the case you and I have a different concept of "fucked over".
>>
>>344472782
>>344472782
I just realized Jack has a patch on his shirt.
He has billions of dollars, and a private satellite. Why on earth would he need to sew a patch into his shirt?
>>
>>344487090
>By building cities and infrastructure?

and fucking up the normal society in the process. In terms of the setting, while the citizens of Pandora were fucked up the story was written to where Jack was the bad guy
>>
>>344486883
Strangely enough I found him funny in the first game but annoying in the second game, and so unbelievably irritating in PS that I still have yet to play as him.

When Gearbox heard people complain about how annoying he was in the first game they thought they'd be clever and make it into a joke for the second, but they completely missed the point that it was his repetition of phrases that made him annoying.
>Hey! There are new missions available on the Firestone bounty board!
>Helena Pierce wants to see you in New Haven!
>Scooter wanted me to tell you he's got a.. little sumthin' sumthin' he needs you to do!
Etc.

But instead in BL2 he's acknowledged by the other characters as being annoying just because he exists. Which, in itself, was annoying.
I blame Burch.
>>
>>344487636
>Normal society

Pandora was a prison planet. You either went there because you're running from the law or because sending you there was easier than letting you live anywhere else. There is no "society" on Pandora, it's just anarchy with a few ill-equipped caretakers, all of which are still murderers when they feel like it, pointing everyone in a generalized direction.

Sure, Jack would have made it into a totalitarian society, but honestly I have difficulty choosing which of the two is worse: Jack-dom or a planet of anarchic murderers.
>>
File: 1466708646992.png (167 KB, 800x264) Image search: [Google]
1466708646992.png
167 KB, 800x264
> Some Hyperion employee
> Gets the player character to help him sort shit out
> He's a bit brutal but never does anything truly wrong until very late in pre-sequel, when paranoia and being backstabbed have him eject a handful of scientists out of an airlock
> Which really is pretty understandable given how hard everyone is trying to fuck him for literally no good reason, really, literally no reason at all to be an ass to the guy who is actually trying with his best intentions to save everything

Not sure why they took a caricature of evil from BL2 and made him out to really not be a bad guy in PS. Even not considering the standards of the BL universe, he doesn't do any evil shit in Presequel until it all starts tumbling down- which isn't his fault.
>>
>>344488093
>There is no "society" on Pandora

confirmed for not playing the game
>>
>>344472782
>>344485874
>>344486175
He was victim of shitty writing. He was first shown as man with heroic ideas but personality of asshole, but after that he was killed with tons of sthitty jokes and overall shitty exsposition. Burch trully have a talent to turn everything to piece of shit. TftB writers actually made him really good character after main games, he was really expanded as person who was on heroic quest and thought he was always good person despite methods. In the end he eventually understood that he was huge jerk who was drown in self-delusion, but he is still stands on his ideas and still tries capture Rhys. That shows how dedicated he is and kinda true hero, when he was ready abandon heroic methods for greater good. In Burch writing he is just random big bad who is "Lol i'm good but dooing random immoral stuff lalalala" In pre-sequel he was randomly made from just jerk to big bad from two situations like "I did not wanted to kill" - which is was good point in the character development but then in was never brought back later and he becomes super evil guy after "lol we always knew you was jerk so we destroy your eye bye "
>>
>>344488526
Name a safe city you'd like to live in on Pandora. One in which you don't have to fear being killed by your neighbor, bartender, doctor or gun salesman.

Go ahead.
>>
>>344472782
you.
>>
>>344472782
He got backstabbed?
>>
>>344488643
I didn't say it was civilized.
>>
File: 1335825478926.gif (1 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
1335825478926.gif
1 MB, 236x224
>>344487636
"normal" society seriously?...Now I have ask if YOU played the game. There is no"normal society" in borderlands. Their entire cities (more like camps and settlements) are entirely populated by murderers,rapists and sociopaths. With any "normal society" being pillaged and destroyed the moment its created. Did you even play the pre-sequel? because if you did you'd realize that jack was driven to insanity by the so called heroes of the story. They left him a mere shell of the man he used to be which tends to happen when bandits destroy your dreams,mutilate your face not to mention when the women you loved(and trust) tries to kill you. Sooo yeah I can see all that making you into a "bad" guy.
>>
>>344489079
I would rather have a civilized dictatorship than an uncivilized shit hole with character.
>>
>>344472782
Nothing. Everything wrong was caused by Lilith being a cunt.
>>
>game has probably the worst writing i've ever seen in a mainstream game
>it has one of the greatest villains ever created

100% mad

also who else hyped now that BL3 is getting BL1's author? BL2 was love / hate because of the writing, with somebody competent it'll just be love
>>
>>344489313
by normal I meant "par for the course" when it comes to Pandora

> Did you even play the pre-sequel?
no because I was so disappointed in 2
>>
>>344484598
If we ripped it off, would it hurt?
>>
Which gun manufacturer are we going to find out is super duper evil in the next game? Maliwan?
>Elemental weaponry testing on puppies, kittens, orphans, the mentally unstable and the vertically challenged
>You're given a quest to save a retarded midget from a Maliwan facility, with an optional objective to find the audio logs of Maliwan officials killing the persons midget parents. And pet gold fish, for food measure.
>>
>>344490194
Tediore, their working environment isn't OSHA approved.
>>
>>344489861
This is the first I've heard of that, and now I'm skeptically hyped. Like, I just have a little hype for this I'm keeping in my back pocket, which is saying a lot these days.

Borderlands needs to be less
>Wacky jokes and memes!
and more
>Look at this universe we created!
>This is part of a big story!
>This planet is just a distant shit hole compared to what else lies out there!

They really did a good job of establishing a distinct art style, lore, world, and characters in the first Borderlands (and some of the later ones). I really wish they'd expanded on it, letting us go to other planets (borderlandS. With an 'S'.), seeing other levels of civilization and technology, and so on. They could easily set a game on a more advanced planet as a riot control officer or something. Get captured by rebels, learn that the comapny/gov't branch you work for is corrupt, become a rebel, fight back against gov't, etc.
>>
>>344490374
Sidequest: someone contracts you to kill Tediore workers because tech support was rude to them
>>
>>344490194
I hope if the president of Jakobs ever shows up I hope he's some kind of overblown caricature like Mr. Torgue
>>
>>344490782
Borderlands 1 never had a really good story, but it was an interesting setting for a top-tier game. The humor was at least functional, as evidenced by shit like >the entirety of FUCKING GENERAL KNOXX DLC HOLY SHIT

it's obvious from BL2's ending they're going to go to other planets. especially with TPS's ending saying "war is coming"
>>
He was a small time hero in a world with no place for him, so he became the biggest villain. Too bad you couldn't join him, I would have loved killing Lil.
>>
>>344491121
What planets have even been mentioned before besides Pandora?
>>
>>344490194
don't say that out loud, that might give them ideas.
>>
>>344491504
t-the moon?

i don't think there have been many. i don't think borderlands ever had a lot of story. there may have been some in the comics BL1 guy wrote, though
>>
>>344491606
Truxica, maybe? Assuming that's not just another region of Pandora or something.
>>
>>344490884
I expect Montgomery Jakobs to be something like Colonal Sanders.
>>
>>344491669
Truxica is Space Mexico.
Eden has been mentioned a few times and I think Maya came from a planet called Athenias.
>>
>>344491504
Eden-5 and Eden-6, though those may just be satellite moons.

Some in game posters have mentioned other planets.
>>
>>344491504
>>344491606
According to the wiki,
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Planets
>>
>>344490884
I have my fingers crossed for either:

A) Sam Elliott American cowboy/plantation owner type. Real fond of good old fashioned simple country values.There's nothing better than the pride of making a piece of work that you can be proud of, something that's made to last etc. Bolo tie.

or

B) John Cleese British stuffy/eccentric collector/inventor. Gets rather worked up talking about firearms and the firearm trade. Back in my day a man's pistol was his pride, treasured more than his own family, at Jakob's we strive to create a pistol worth keeping in your family for generations, etc. Cravat tie.

Either way, a big grey/white handlebar moustache is necessary.
>>
Want he already holding Angel in chains by TPS?
>>
>>344472782
I'm trying to play TPS mostly because I'm curious about Jack and the story behind this but none of the characters seem fun to me, I've tried them all and their action skills fucking suck. I thought Athena would be fun but she really wasn't. Does she get a skill that makes her shield better like Mordecai's last skill for Bloodwing?
>>
>>344490050
probably given that it looks stapled to his head.
>>
>>344492462
You don't like any of the characters? Huh

Post character tiers!!!

GOD-TIER:
Psycho / Gaige
SEMIGOD-TIER:
Jack / Aurelia
GREAT TIER:
Axton / Brick / Mordecai / Lilith / Zer0 / Nisha / Wilhelm
GOOD TIER:
Athena / Claptrap / Sal / Roland
OKAY TIER:
Maya (at least aesthetics-wise. she's literally the most boring character)
>>
>>344492891
>God Tier ones are the most hilariously broken ones
Gaige a cute and a best.
>>
File: 1337134975591.jpg (15 KB, 213x200) Image search: [Google]
1337134975591.jpg
15 KB, 213x200
>>344489875
>Doesn't play the game series in it's entirety yet still formulates an opinion about it despite having incomplete info lol.

Then you should play it... given that it explains ALOT about why jack is the way he is. It's also pretty fun although it's peppered with libtard & feminazy propaganda from time to time.
>>
>>344493038
if i cared about how OP they were I'd put Sal / Zer0 up in godtier

i just play fun classes that look cool
>>
>>344489875
>>344493130

the pre-sequel is a load of crap. despite us learning that handsome jack manipulated the vault hunters in BL1, which was already an incredibly retarded retcon, we got fucked over AGAIN in that handsome jack was inexplicably some hero and had manipulated the vault hunters while a god damn low level programmer who was a "good guy", nevermind that he had angel while he was a retard in a dead-end job. nevermind the fact that borderlands 2 already ruined angel by making her human, TPS fucking ruined it even more by making her conception retarded
>>
Will Rhys and Fiona be making a return in Borderlands 3?
Rhys could potentially be very important, given he's the owner of Atlas industries.
>>
>>344492891
>Axton not in at least Semi-God tier
>he doesn't know the joys of getting to Risk of Rain tiers of bullshit
>>
>>344493343
Like Atlas before, Rhys will manufacture and monetize whatever he found in the vault.
I don't see Rhys being playable but Fiona could use her elemental derringer as an ability.
>>
>>344493343
the biggest problem would be accounting for player agency

or rather destroying player agency altogether by choosing which rhys is canon
>>
>>344492891

I recently played both BL1 and TPS for the first time so I'm about to go back and play BL2 again. First time I went with Zer0. Trying to decide between Salvador or Gaige. Suggestions? What makes Gaige god tier and Salvador simply good?
>>
>>344493541
Gaige and Salvador are both broken as fuck, Salvador just takes slightly more effort to get broken
>>
>>344493541
He was rating on aesthetics, and Salvador is an ugly manlet with stumpy legs.
>>
>>344480902
Rhys and Sasha is a better pairing
>>
>>344493750
Salvador is handsome and sexy
>>
>>344493824

Not for me imho. Fiona is best girl
>>
>>344493939
Salvador is a fucking gross joke design like most of Gearbox's designs and whoever greenlights this shit should fuck off.
>>
>>344494097
The gross gearbox designs didn't start until after BL2.

Tiny tina is gross though.
>>
>>344493291
> Jack manipulating Vault Hunters in Bl1
> a retcon

Bl1 ended with the reveal that the magic, psychic Guardian Angel that had been guiding you towards the vault was actually being broadcast from a Hyperion satellite.
>>
>>344484971

Also keep in mind that Jack was just an AI and a very valuable piece of technology. He has a ton of knowledge of Pandora and Helios and all of the shady stuff that happens in the background. He can be reprogrammed and be put to good use.

Destroying him would be stupid.
>>
>>344484598
>Lilith came out of nowhere and gave him a flying kick to the face pushing said rock artifact into his face effectively hot branding his face whit it.

Man, I still remember those threads about that shit.

Thank you Anthony
>>
>>344493541
I just never found Salvador interesting design-wise or fun play-wise. Granted, I never gave him that much play due to not finding him particularly interesting.

Still, I'm pretty sure Gaige is generally more complicated and fun. She has shit like anarchy (IIRC every reload builds a stack that increases damage and decreases accuracy by 1.5 percent each or something, and it can get to 600 stacks)
>>
>>344485353
Holy shit it's almost exactly like the greentext.
>>
>>344494515
Pretty sure the general consensus was that Angel was an AI housed in that sattelite. Why else specifically write 4NG3L or whatever on it?

Still, even if that's a non issue Pre-Sequel makes it an issue.
>>
>>344495046

So she's Spray and Pray: The Character? I tend to play cautiously and rely on sniper rifles so that would be a huge change. Might be fun though.
>>
>>344495620
That's one possible build. The other builds are based on upgrading her robot, which is cool as shit, and also broken due to it being able to use your shield if you get the right skill.
>>
>>344493291
It's heavily implied that angel killed her own mother in a of kind of freak accident which would mean that jack was afraid of her which explains why he had her locked up. The destruction of the eye on the Hyperion station coupled with the numerous betrayals and murder attempts would explain his going insane.
>>
>>344495752
no but
the pre-sequel introduces jack as a "hero" and a low level hyperion programmer
nevermind that borderlands 2 implied he was always evil what with manipulating the vault hunters
>>
>>344480282
its fine for maybe 2 playthroughs but since in Borderlands 2 you needed to start a 3rd playthrough to get lvl 50 missions and better loot. Not to mention if you played multiple characters. I ended up hearing the same shit for 5 playthroughs with no way to skip the dialog or even speed it up.
It made me never want to touch another borderlands game again.
>>
>>344492516
FOR YOU.
>>
>>344489861
but BL1s story barely functioned as a story it was just shoot things with guns and switch guns every 5 lvls or so.
>>
>>344498303
yeah, and? BL1s story was a background for gun violence, but at least the characters were tolerable and sometimes really good (see: knoxx dlc, any pre-burch character)

bl2 had more story but it was all sjw bullshit. even the characters that weren't "muh inclusiveness" were limited to one or two personality traits, EVEN fucking characters from borderlands 1.

see: brick becomes "cute tough guy", roland becomes "perfect leader", marcus becomes "evil kike merchant" as opposed to "actual businessman who doesn't shoot customers", etc
>>
>anthony burch getting paid to be the ultimate troll

i'm mad i wrote 600k of trollfic and have yet to see a single cent
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.