[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think the game might be a metaphor for worker exploitation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 20160709003919_1.jpg (106 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160709003919_1.jpg
106 KB, 1920x1080
I think the game might be a metaphor for worker exploitation and the unhuman face of capitalism.
>>
File: 1383191493215.png (180 KB, 904x633) Image search: [Google]
1383191493215.png
180 KB, 904x633
>>344460885
neat game, didnt understand why a kid wanted to break into that shithole.

and i certainly dont understand why that hairy water person from experimental pods wanted to kill him so badly. What was really weird was that it altered him later so that he could breath in water or some shit.

Like I know this is all meant to mean something as you progress. However the shit going on was so interesting, I'd rather just get flat out told what the fuck is going on in that world rather than try to relate to what its meant to "mean" for my shitty world.
>>
>>344460885
can you avoid killing the people in the lab?

They werent threatening me in any way, so I was just trying to avoid running them over.

>that one asshole who just wont get the fuck out of your way and you have to plow through him and the window hes up against
>>
>>344460885
>inhuman face of capitalism
you mean communism right?
>>
File: 41d.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
41d.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
were they using real living people or were they manufactured like androids or something? You run into a pig early on who was like a living thing until you pull out this worm, and then suddenly it just stopped doing anything, I thought it was like a parasite or something infecting shit.

Though later on it seems like a military compound that mass produces mind controllable labor. However they seem autonomous later on when you see them performing tasks without someone needing to control them directly.

in which case, where are the female onaholes in the game?
>>
>>344460885
Why does everyone confuse capitalism with corporatism
>>
>>344461530
Yeah you can. If you wait for a while the guy in front of the window will run away and be safe.
>>
You could probably interpret it that way. That's the main thing I liked about the game. You can interpret it as a metaphor about society or you can just think of it as a creepy but simple sci-fi story.
>>
what game
>>
File: EVERYBODYS GOING SURFING.webm (221 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
EVERYBODYS GOING SURFING.webm
221 KB, 720x404
>>344462952
Inside
>>
It's not social/ political commentary, it's metaphysical commentary.
You start the game being dropped into a world in a preset situation you didn't get yourself into, and amidst your efforts to escape this system that erases individuality you are faced with the choice of either conforming (by staying inside that chamber in the OP picture) or being absorbed by another organism that is larger than yourself (the human blob), which is the only way you have to accomplish anything. You then get to escape, but you realize that what you inherited from your initial situation will always be with you, that you are no longer who you were before the influence of this environment and that still, you don't have significance as an individual, only as a being larger than yourself
We are born into a world we did not choose and are shaped by it. Despite our best efforts to detach ourselves from our origins as we grow old, we can never recover who we were before the influence of our environments. The best we can hope for is to acquire the illusion of choice and freedom, but your origins (the governing body that seems to control the world of the game) will always be a part of you, and only a tiny spec of individuality can be manifested, because the collective aspects we've incorporated will all be with us.
>>
>>344464807
I think that may be overanalizing it a bit. I honestly think the whole progression of the thing was purposefully modeled after how a dream/nightmare typically functions. Where each action and place somewhat logically links to the previous and next part but not necessarily the part before or after those.
>>
>>344464807
*always be with us
In case I wasn't clear, the collective aspect we incorporate are represented by the human blob. And it doesn't matter whether or not the beach in the end is real, it only goes to show the illusion of free will is the best we can hope for
>>344464997
I think this narrative matches to more elements than the idea that it is a dream. Is there something within the game you thought hinted at this possibility?
>>
>>344465441
I'm not saying the events of the game are an actual dream. I'm saying the progression of environments and situations mimic the way that a dream typically plays out very well. Each area in the game connects to the previous area logically (IE: woods to farmhouse) but not necessarily the following or preceding area or event. I know when I beat the game I felt the exact same way I felt about a long dream where I'm not really sure about how the beggining of the dream and the end of the dream are connected logically or how I got from one place to another.
>>
>>344465979
I see it now. Good analysis, then
>>
So let's theorize a little.
1. Who were the white masked men? They were clearly okay with violently murdering you, but the guns they shoot you with fire tranqs.
2. What's the deal with the pig farm? It seems to be breeding those corpse worms.
3. What's the pulsing room about? I was thinking that was like psychic energy, or perhaps perpetual motion.
4. the underwater creatures are clearly experiments, right? If so, does the girl want to kill you? it seemed like she always wanted to hook you up and make you able to breathe, but you're too far away from the plug until she plugs you in
>>
>>344467043
1: This I have no idea about. It's weird that they would wear masks since the characters in the game don't have faces, although that may just be art direction and not something that ties into the story.
2:The worms were probably some kind of prototype/research station for the brain helmets
3:I would imagine also some kinda of experiments, perhaps the pulses work to condition people to use the helmets.
4:It's unclear if she actually did kill you or not. After she plugs the machine into you the boy no longer bleeds, so he could be dead or he could be something completely different now.
>>
>>344462259
I figured the pig was just aggravated at having a worm sticking out it's ass sort of like the lion with the thorn in it's paw
I think it's safe to assume that they're mass produced automatons but then the question becomes why is the kid being chased in the beginning.
>>
Damn this game has some incredible sceneries. Especially the area with the shockwaves. I think it was some kind of test area. In the part where you pull the cover with you there is a room full of dummies, and there are bridges and skyscrapers around. I just really want to know what makes the shockwaves
>>
>>344467470
I heard somewhere that the zombies are probably mass-produced people, and that they can spawn with free will, and that those dudes are there to monitor them/capture them if they run.
that's probably what the boy is
Also, later, during the sequence where you need to mimic the zombies, there's a scene where you have what seems like a family watching you- either that's education, or the people in white masks produce the zombies as a means of making money.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.