[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like this again? It's barebones af Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14
File: go.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
go.jpg
211 KB, 1920x1080
Why do people like this again?

It's barebones af

Is it cause it let people discover the thing called "outside"?
>>
>>344460597
I like how it's competitive, but not enough to be irritating. I can casually go around and fuck people out of their gyms, while people struggle to defeat a simple ryhorn I placed there.
>>
>>344460597
>Make hashtag #teamrocket
>Videos and posts of "trainers" getting their phones stolen
:^)
>>
>>344460597
these franchises will always have a fanbase
with the amount of poor children who only have smartphones to use as gaming platforms of course it will take off.
>>
>>344463241
Us true gamers know better than to fall under the evil spell of mobile gaming right bro? Heh *fistpump*
>>
I went to the park today with a group of friends and met so many people playing the game. It was unlike anything I've seen tbqh. It was a magical experience and its sad that people on 4chan are too jaded to see how awesome it is that people in real life are exercising, going outside, having fun, meeting new people, and playing a game all at once.
>>
>>344463241
>poor children
>smartphone
Anyway, the real reason is that the app could serve as a social tool, evidenced by the last few threads; people meet up at the Pokestops or the gyms and end up shooting the shit, and then they go around with their new friends to catch more Pokemon. Also, it exploits the Gen 1 nostalgia factor, along with the fact that it's free and easily accessible.
>>
>>344460597
It is based Nintendo trying to save a genaration of kids doomed to stay indoors. Any other IP or even a new one would fail at bringing people outside
>>
>>344463985
>Also, it exploits the Gen 1 nostalgia factor

Its not nostalgia that Gen 1 pokemon are superior to all other gens
>>
>>344463985
If they started with anything past gen 3 people would have thought its some kind of digimon app
>>
>>344463814
You type like someone from Facebook.
>>
File: 1467833574939.png (775 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1467833574939.png
775 KB, 1280x720
>>344463985
I actually really like this idea.
It is almost perfect pokemon fantasy for kids and young adults. The only thing that could make it better is augmented reality glasses, but we're a few years away from that kicking off.
People go out, meet other people, explore their city. This thing is actually having a positive effect on society, no matter how unintended.
>>
>>344464354
>knowing what that's like
>>
>>344464354
You type like someone who gets their opinions from 4chan.com's /V/ - Video Games board.
>>
I like it just to piss you off, OP.
>>
It is literally only because of the magic of Pokemon's brand. Because almost the exact same game was released years ago by the exact same development team but it wasn't nearly as all encompassing and successful as the same shit with Pokemon slapped on it. Because Pokemon appeals to everybody. Tons of people grew up with it and kids today are still into it. It has become so ubiquitous that even normalfags at least know what Pokemon is and therefor have some interest in it because it's popular and cute/cool and because tons of idiots already love mobile games there's a huge market there and then even the people who don't like mobile games can hardly resist the draw of the Pokemon brand so there you have it, a wild success.
>>
>>344464794
wich game?
>>
File: xke8bufv.jpg (19 KB, 174x240) Image search: [Google]
xke8bufv.jpg
19 KB, 174x240
>>344460597
Gotta agree it's fucking barebones. No trading, no battling wild pokemons, WILD POKEMONS ARE JUST CAPTURED AND NOT FOUGHT WITH FIRST, no battling friends unless through a gym and pokemons don't seem to follow basic logic when water type pokemons can be found deep inland.

What did I miss.
>>
>>344464915
Ingress. Hell as the game is now they literally just reused the same locations for the fixed stuff as in Ingress.
>>
>>344465819
Which is a good idea. Having the infrastructure to make this worldwide with existing assets saves development time immensely. The thing is the core gameplay of POKEMON is missing.
>>
It is pretty barebones but it gives me motivation to go out and get some exercise. That and its free and I never plan on spending money on any of the micro transactions anyway.

I actually found the social aspect to be the best part, walked around with a friend for a few hours and stopped and talked to at least 3 groups of people playing.
>>
File: chapo.jpg (5 KB, 261x150) Image search: [Google]
chapo.jpg
5 KB, 261x150
>>344464195
>Its not nostalgia that Gen 1 pokemon are superior to all other gens
>>
>>344465337
>WILD POKEMONS ARE JUST CAPTURED AND NOT FOUGHT WITH FIRST

Wait, what the fuck? I thought the point of pokemon was to battle them and capture them.

Fuck, even pokemon now fell to the "press X to win" bullshit?
>>
File: shentai.org_Megasweet_WFAY_09.jpg (51 KB, 372x414) Image search: [Google]
shentai.org_Megasweet_WFAY_09.jpg
51 KB, 372x414
>>344467125
Yeah. You have a set of pokeballs that you throw with physics and you lose pokeballs when you miss the target. I haven't encountered a single pokemon that might have escaped once captured inside of pokeballs.
>>
>>344466904
This, Gen 1 designs are still great but the actual games do not hold up as well as Gen 2 did. It was unbalanced as fuck and there are a ton of bugs and programming errors in the battle system. Psychic types were also game breaking in how overpowered they were with no real weakness. Bug and ghost had two damaging moves which were all pretty useless and night shade being fixed damage. Dragon also only had ONE fucking move being a fixed 40 damage.
>>
File: 13125734723.jpg (2 MB, 2438x2995) Image search: [Google]
13125734723.jpg
2 MB, 2438x2995
What happened to nintendo bros? They used to be good.
>>
>>344467396
I've had several break out.
>>
>>344467396
Try capturing a Rapidash.

It took me 10 fucking pokeball hits to catch it.
>>
Why are "girl gamers" all over this game? I sweare I have seen way more women playing this than men, and not even ugly/fat ones.
>>
It's normie shit for faggots too insecure to admit they like traditional pokemon so they have to mix it with MUH OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES in order to feel like they aren't wasting their time on video games.
>>
It gives me a thing to do outside. What could be better?
>>
>>344468110
Alright thanks. What's the logic behind the green circle?
>>
It's honestly a fad and it will end less then a month.
>>
>>344467871
Were they really? Honestly think about that, was Nintendo ever good?
>>
you 30 bmi failures literally can't understand why people like to socialize and enjoy nature

i'm literally laughing at you
>>
>>344460923
>competitive
but you cant battle anyone
>>
>>344469134
It's competitive in that you walk/drive to the local gym with your mons that you've trained up and fight the other players in your area for control.

Yeah it's not direct competition but you're fighting not to fall behind the level curve.
>>
File: 1435954104024.jpg (28 KB, 549x442) Image search: [Google]
1435954104024.jpg
28 KB, 549x442
>>344467871
You grew up.
>>
>>344460597
You don't even have to go outside. When the game was announced I had hoped that people would have to actually explore to find different pokemon and stuff.

Instead everyone goes to their local starbucks/walmart/whatever other easy to get to location.

It should be that if you want to capture a Caterpie you have to go to a forest. If you want to capture a Magmar you have to go to Hawaii to visit the lava flows.
>>
Haven't been a pokefag in 15 years but my lil brother convinced me to start this morning and it's pretty fun. Well probably go to the park tomorrow and catch some pokemon.
>>
>>344460597
It's only 0.2 you stupid nigger. Of course it's barebones
>>
>>344466904
Yes they are the best designs but nostalgia still plays a factor my gf even wants to play it and she hasn't played since gen1 when we were kids
>>
>>344463103
You're post was funny until meme face. May i suggest that, in the future, refrain from memes, just for awhile
>>
>>344469580
Going inside of places actually makes it worse because the building interferes with the GPS and often gimps the app
>>
>>344469654
It should be feature complete on release. The only thing that happens during development afterward is they make stupid shit like hats. Get ready to give your Caterpie a hat, only 5,000 Pokeshekels. Ask your parents for permission before raping their credit card.
>>
I've seen people who don't even give a shit about Pokemon play this game. It's fucking insane it's like a Pokemon red revolution
>>
>>344465337
It's
Ver 0.2
How
Dumb
Are
You
Fucks?
>>
>>344469887

games don't work like that anymore.

I'd say we should be sad, but all you fucks kept buying games that did those, making it a better investment for businesses, and now they're all following the money.
>>
>>344469887
The game is free
>>
>>344470047
You must have missed the part with all the microtransactions.

And it's free now. They're going to keep trying to find ways to get you to part with your money.
>>
The idea of the game is really cool but it's far from perfect

The game lacks depth, there's no battles yet, it doesn't really bring people together like it should.

Capturing pokemon is kind of a pain in the ass because rare ones are very rare.

In any case it's fun because it's a new concept. You have to run around outside and do shit. It's a really interesting idea, I hope they perfect it soon.

Also what bugs me is that rural areas are fucking devoid of Pokemon but urban places are packed with them. What the hell? I wanted to go outside and take this game while going hiking or something, not walking through a grocery store like an autist. That really grinds my gears the most because the fucking trailer showed people running around in nature which is what I wanted to do the most.
>>
>>344468706
When you hold down the pokeball before throwing it, theres a circle that repeatedly gets smaller, then starts over. I THINK you're supposed to throw when the circle is at its biggest size, when its the same as the white circle, but I've seen people say the opposite, when it's the smallest. My logic for the big circle is that I more often get a "Nice!" throw when I try for a big circle.
>>
>>344469887
You're a really dumb nigger mate. Have you not heard of early access before? Why would they wait to release as 1.0 when all the normies are gobbleing up already? Also it will add proper features later on. Not everythings fucking TF2
>>
>>344470203
All the microtransactions are stuff you can easily get by going to gyms and playing the game
I said it free cause if you don't like it you can just delete the app and walk away with nothing lost.
>>
normies already go outside sperg
>>
>>344465337
It was mentioned that nintendo keep those features off to diferentiate the main games.

This is your pokemon exploration simulation, nothing else.
>>
>>344470305
>early access
Yeah, it's for retards that play unfinished games. Those games never get better by the way.
>>
cause most normal people don't go

>uh but can I spend 300 hours into the game min/maxing my creatures by subtly adjusting values, breeding specific creatures together for the most optimal moveset, and looking up the most time and effort efficient way to level up

they just go

>oh hey I can catch pokemon except kind of in real life while I walk to the park with my friends, cool
>>
Ffffuucucckkkk there's bitches playing this? I need to hurry and download it before it dies in a week like miitomo did
>>
>tfw Nintendo found a way to survive financially in a year as fucking abysmal as 2016 has been for them

If this year wasn't enough to kill them nothing ever will.
>>
>>344470658
How would you know? Unless you're a retard who plays them :^)
>>
>>344468964
yes
>>
>>344470767
Wait until the NX release
>>
>>344470806
>How do you know shit is shit unless you've tasted it?
Fuck off with your meme face, retard.
>>
Is the app not working for anyone else? The hell is going on here?
>>
>>344470954
Nintendo's already soaked the vast majority of the R&D costs for the NX, and they just recently restructured their marketing department for NA. One way or the other I get the feeling it won't be another NX situation.
>>
>>344471271
*another Wii U situation
>>
The game is fucking awesome, it's very fun and has the potential to be the best pokemon game.

Pokemon couldn't get anymore casual anyways, people bitching about any casual aspect are retards. Pokemon games have been piss easy where you fight trainers that have 2-3 mons at most who are all substantially weaker than you.
>>
>>344460597
how rough is this shit on your data usage?
>>
File: Shit.jpg (139 KB, 959x348) Image search: [Google]
Shit.jpg
139 KB, 959x348
>try to flick a ball
>phone stutters
>ball drops and gets used
>pikachu runs away
It's shit!
>>
File: 1467887545990.png (156 KB, 274x272) Image search: [Google]
1467887545990.png
156 KB, 274x272
>>344460597
This game is going to be YUGE, it's one step away from the fantasy pokemon reality
>>
Is nintendo actually involved? I thought the pokemon company is its own thing now.
>>
If you don't have friends I found the game to be very boring.

You need friends for this one. otherwise it's shit.
>>
It does seem kind of barebones, but at the same time its an interesting concept. I'd like to try it, but unfortunately my area doesn't seem to be supported yet.
>>
>>344471974
You can download an apk if you have an android and it works.
>>
>>344460597
Normies like phones. Normies are half human NPCs of the world. Normies love their incredibly simplistic phone games.
>>
>>344470229
>rural areas are fucking devoid of Pokemon but urban places are packed with them

my guess is that the density is based on how many users are connected in the area. that way the servers aren't wasting resources generating random encounters in vast empty areas like the middle of the Yukon or some shit.
>>
>>344471481
From what I've heard, it doesn't use much at all, it's moreso the battery that it kills quick.
>>
>>344460597
because it doesnt require you think
or actually train pokemon
or raise pokemon to have effect movesets

too bad these niggers will never fight the Elite Four anytime soon. or for that matter Surf, Fly, or Teleport anywhere IRL, for example celadon city to give their pokemon precious fresh water and lemonade

or catch missingno
>>
File: shrug.jpg (13 KB, 276x440) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
13 KB, 276x440
I never gave one single fuck about completing a pokedex until this game
>>
>>344470229
I know as an adult it seems awesome to run inawoods to hunt rare pokemon but it's a game that also is meant to appeal to kids so you can't encourage them to get lost like that.

You can find really rare pokemon in parks I think though, my local park is infested with Lickitungs at the point where the bike trail crosses the road and the people I know seem to think that that Pokemon is rare.
>>
Because normies.

This game is exactly what normies normally do. Going outside. Talking to people. Socializing. Exactly the kind of activities normies revel in.

With normies outnumbering master race, this game becomes an instant "hit".

If you fell for this, then it means you're one of them.
>>
>>344460597
The appeal is that it lets nostalgiacs get 'cool nerdo points' for 'loving Pokemon' even though they haven't played a game in the series since 1999... Essentially.
>>
normies will stop playing this game in 2-3 weeks, because no depth, battling etc. will make this game boring. Unless a proper battling system is made from the games, the game will die.
>>
>>344475719
See Farmville. League of Legends. Hearthstone.

They love lack of depth because they dont want to invest time in raising pokemon but rather collecting it through normal means.
>>
I fucked up.

I literally went into a graveyard because there were 4 poké stops inside it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-09-20-16-03.jpg (94 KB, 756x498) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-09-20-16-03.jpg
94 KB, 756x498
People are literally more interested in pokemon go than all of us politics combined
>>
We should be playing Ingress
>>
>>344475719
>Normies
>quitting over battle system

Normies don't care about that shit they care about the social aspect and nostalgia Pokemon turf wars.
>>
>>344460597

Half the fun is just meeting people who have something in common with you
>>
>went for a bike ride
>saw at least 30 people on their phones trying to catch Pokemon
>bunch of people on bikes who would stop occasionally and check their phone

Jesus fuck this spread quickly.
>>
>>344476934
>>344477365
except you have to actively play this, with farmville and hearthstone all you have to do is to press some buttons, here you have to actually walk around
>>
I had no lady friends , after I met a number of pokemon go players the other day in a pokestop now I atleast I made acquaintances with several, tomorrow we are going pokemon hunting to a big park and try to take over some gyms.
>>
File: 1439588033348.jpg (43 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1439588033348.jpg
43 KB, 601x601
who /overheated phone/ here?
>>
>>344467125
When has Pokemon not been press "X" to win?
>>
>>344468294

Gen 1 of Pokemon is great for being liked by normies. I've met women who haven't even played a Pokemon game who bang on about how much they love Pikachu.
>>
>>344460597
It's still in the early stages of development so people are hoping it gets better. I think it's safe to assume it will at least have features similar to Ingress, like having the ability to chat with people. Right now it's a fun time waster and normies eat it up because it's Gen 1 and simple.
>>
>pokemon just float in front of your phone
>when you catch them the camera spergs out while zooming in and white nothingness floats from the bottom the of screen to the top (until the pokemon actually gets captured)
maybe mainstream AR is further away than I was hoping, this game is kinda lame and the AR is awkward at best
>>
we forgot to make any mechanics, but we got the porkemon branding and a superbowl ad thatll be a billion dollars thanks

marketing wins again
>>
File: 75.jpg (71 KB, 630x924) Image search: [Google]
75.jpg
71 KB, 630x924
>>344463814
I experience the same thing just now. Park was loaded with normies fetching mons

>mfw paw just uninstalled
RIP paw. you'll be back.
>>
>>344477854

Battle sim games/battle facilities. They'll kick your teeth in once you get to the later stuff.
>>
>>344471481
no more than using a gps
>>
>>344473559
Fucking this
>>
>>344475719

It will die for good once moon/sun come out.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.