[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just replayed this game and reaffirmed my convinction that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: pen_logo.jpg (47 KB, 550x196) Image search: [Google]
pen_logo.jpg
47 KB, 550x196
I just replayed this game and reaffirmed my convinction that this is the greatest horror game ever made. Everything about it feels physical and up to chance. It doesn't seem scripted, when you "get" a puzzle it feels like you really figured it own on your own.

Generally speaking I'm crazy about Frictional Games, and I think its great they did the storytelling thing too (Machine For Pigs) but nothing will trump the sense of discovery you get from Overture.
>>
also, Penumbra makes use of the inventory in thr best way possible. Instead of giving narrative clues or leaving notes, Penumbra makes you pick things up and figure out how to use them
>>
>>
<< LOL
>>
Have people really forgotten about this game?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (13 KB, 276x440) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
13 KB, 276x440
>>344392205
What's left to talk about
>>
>>344392531
lol

maybe some anon will be spurred on to play through it again, or play it if they havent yet
>>
That part where you have to put gas on the drilling machine was bullshit.
The tank is just some shitty flat texture.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>
>>344390082
Machine for Pigs was The Chinese Room.
They did do Justine though, which was god tier.

I have Penumbra in my backlog.
>>
If someone would make a vr game thats similar to penumbra, shiiiet
>>
>>344392947
But, it is a very scary tho
When you have to run from the worm the first time and jump on those small as shit rocks, it was intense.
>>
File: 1465185170109.jpg (32 KB, 557x612) Image search: [Google]
1465185170109.jpg
32 KB, 557x612
>mfw the second game in this series has some generic bad angel on your shoulder trope voiced by the Devil from Black & White
>>
>>344393405
yeah notice why I havent mentioned the second one

>>344392947
every game like penumbra needs at least one retarded ragequit puzzle
>>
>>344393050
thanks lol i dont know why i confused that. Justine was fucking god tier
>>
Justine had like 5 dudes lusting after her, she must had had some pretty nice tits.
>>
Amensia > Penumbra > Soma
>>
>>344394649
You are wrong.
>>
>>344394649
OP here, havent played through SOMA yet. Penumbra is unequivocally better than Amnesia though... so I don't know if I should ask you if SOMA is any good
>>
>>344390082
I think that honor goes to Resident Evil: Remake or Silent Hill 2. Though maybe that's more survival horror. I shit you not, I played 3/4ths of Overture without knowing there was a sprint button. And when I found out you could sprint, the game ceased to be scary for me in any way. The puzzles were great though.
>>
>>344396064

>resident evil
>horror

Yeah, no.
Survival adventure game or something like that.
>>
>>344392737
>>344392531

This is really all there is to it though.

Great game, nothing much to talk about other than urging people to play/replay it.
>>
>>344394649
Disagree.

I enjoy all equally and think a ranking is pointless.
>>
>>344396215
Neptune? Crimson Heads?

>>344396331
I disagree. There's PLENTY to talk about in regards to game design with Overture. Use of lighting, narration, journals, puzzles, physics, etc.
>>
>>344396459
that ridiculous swing mechanic that lets you smack stuff with the hammer/pickaxe 2 different ways. FUCK that shit is so satisfying. Fucking everything they did with mouse dragging instead of buttons
>>
>>344395687
SOMA is their best game in a lot of ways. The biggest problem is that it's not scary.
>>
>>344396646
somehow that doesn't strike me as a let-down
>>
>>344396459
Fair enough.

I really enjoy the inventory management in Penumbra. While I somewhat understand why they did away with it it also tends to make puzzles even simpler.
>>
>>344396757
Some people will like it better that way I guess
>>
Does anyone else miss how Penumbra had chase sequences where the player was very likely to die the first time? Usually they had a red herring that is noticed first but leads to death. I'm sure plenty of people have gone through the chase sequences without dying their first time but in later games like Amnesia and SOMA, the chase sequences are very straight forward. I think it's likely because Fricitonal Games didn't want the player to die since it ruins immersion. Doesn't mean I don't miss the old chase designs
>>
>>344396993
I agree. Chases and monster mazes were more open ended. Plus the game relies so heavily on silence that dying and loading a save doesnt restart dialogue or music so no loss of immersion.

I like how even when you do kill the dogmonster it kinda feels like you werent supposed to. Being attacked is awkward and because you have a hammer it might seem like you can defend yourself but its also very awkward to use for that. But in Amnesia the monster has a well thought out attack sequence. I guess for me it takes the fun out of "what would happen if I just..." which is part of the discovery aspect
>>
>>344397315
I get what you mean. Even if I'm very immersed in a game, the "you're not supposed to kill this enemy just run" or "you won't die because that would break immersion" aspects of a video game really stand out to me. Killing the dogs in Overture felt like such an accomplishment as opposed to outrunning a thing in Amnesia which felt more like "oh fuck I gotta run or I stop playing."
>>
>>344398017
Yeah even if it wasnt the "proper" thing to do it was still an option.

Overall my favorite thing about these games is the monster maze connecting safe rooms that you have to go between to piece together the puzzle. I know it's easy but its so damn effective when done right
>>
>>344398260
Yeah thinking about it I don't have a whole lot of problems with the puzzles in Overture. Very enjoyable stuff. It's crazy how hard Black Plague dropped the ball.
>>
>>344398524
and requiem was a fucking shitshow. I guess the devs wanted to have more fun with wacky physics puzzles based on hokey bullshit
>>
>>344399035
>I didn't listen to people saying skip Requiem
I ended up having more fun abusing the game's physics than I did with anything else. Seriously, if you're reading this thread and plan on trying Penumbra, Requiem changes the genre while adding nothing to the series. It's like a puzzle spin off or something
>>
>>344390082
the tunnel worm sequence was nice and stressful.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.