[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2000 >basically every major PC game had modding and private
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: hlmodcd.jpg (134 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hlmodcd.jpg
134 KB, 1024x768
>2000
>basically every major PC game had modding and private servers
>2016
>most games severely limit modding or flat out prevent it and have global servers

What the fuck happened?
>>
>>344233331
normalfags console kiddies happened
>>
>>344233331

>firearms

Damn, I miss that mod. Artillery whoring was great. There was nothing like your team running out of reinforcements first and hunkering down, slowly draining the enemy reinforcements and pulling out the win.
>>
It's particularly fucked up when you realize every noteworthy modern pc game is based on a mod.
>lol is just dota which is a wc3 mod based on a sc mod
>cs:go pretty much a carbon copy of cs which was a hl mod
>tf2 was a quake mod which became a hl mod which spawned tf2
And to add insult to injury
>none of them are as good as the games they were modded from, or their original mods
>>
Jews
>>
>>344233832

It did irk me how Valve bought CS and DoD, ported them to source, then charged money for them. DoD suffered immensely and died off relatively quickly but I think there were so many other WW2 shooters at the time.
>>
centralization
>>
>computer gaming world

This nigga
>>
>>344233832
And the original mods now have price tags
>>
Greed.
>>
>>344233331

>2001 era counterstrike

Damn I miss the good old days. Every map being a massive camp fest due to poor stage design making the map determined by a single choke point, 'K' being bound to kill, every single person buying an AWP and staring down the one passageway waiting for the other team to choke first...

Actually, counterstrike was shit back then.

But damn was it fun.
>>
File: 1456821953244.jpg (55 KB, 342x316) Image search: [Google]
1456821953244.jpg
55 KB, 342x316
>>344233331

>2000
>wow look at all these great creative and free mods. Surely vidya will get even better.

I can't believe how wrong I was. I really wish I didn't take it such for granted.
>>
>>344234317

I loved the vehicle maps where you were just as likely to clip out of the vehicle and die.
>>
>>344234414

I was surprised by how big the drop off in terms of the community and mods were from HL1 and HL2. Most HL2 mods were just ports of HL1 mods.

Also, fuck Steam. I still miss WON.
>>
>>344233331
Pirates happened.
>>
>>344235415
Piracy was the best form of marketing in the 90s and early 00s.
Doom was the most common application on computers, well over half of which were pirated, and everyone in ID still made crazy fucking money to the point carmack started giving out his Ferraris to quake champs.
What do we have now? Dota? Fuck dota.
>>
>>344235736

Wow. I'm tired of you grandpa's claiming the old days were better. Games back then had shitty graphics, lodes of bugs, and no social integration. Now they do.
>>
>HL2 or HL2:DM not out yet
>"DEATHMATCH CLASSIC"
Why was it called classic?
>>
>>344236928
google
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.